Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

That’s because HM2s aren’t that good for harsh noise, you’d be better off with a Death Metal pedal :v:

for real, it's actually hard to use normal distortion pedals designed for guitarists for harsh noise because most of them don't sound nearly hosed up enough. typical musician fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the digitech death metal is good for noise stuff because it self-oscillates pretty easily

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Most distortion pedals are designed to avoid crossover distortion, specifically. There are circuits that play on this, though: Harmonic Percolator and the Devi Ever Hyperion do this.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the digitech death metal is good for noise stuff because it self-oscillates pretty easily

it's pretty good yeah.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Relic'd neck

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/mississauga-peel-region/telecaster-parts/1486315322

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm sure the craftsmanship is exquisite but the overall aesthetic impact is "$180 on aliexpress":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Super-400-China-Dragon-Custom-Masterpiece-Archtop-Guitar/183891323642

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Anime Reference posted:

I'm sure the craftsmanship is exquisite but the overall aesthetic impact is "$180 on aliexpress":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Super-400-China-Dragon-Custom-Masterpiece-Archtop-Guitar/183891323642

Oh man, PRS is gonna sue the crap out of them.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Leroy Dennui posted:

Oh man, PRS is gonna sue the crap out of them.

Wait, does PRS not stand for Powerful Rad Serpent?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Anime Reference posted:

It's the guitar version of tattoos I got when I was 18

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If the metaphor holds, the clutch on the car pedalboard should be wet-dry mix: when you push it, all the effects disengage

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Cool SuGson

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anime Reference posted:

If it was a hundred bucks on aliexpress I'd buy it just for playing acoustic covers of Against The Ninja.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Hey look! Steven Seagal's signature guitar!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

lol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Wark Say posted:

Sweet and sour burst finish.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

lmao

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
"I just heard the best song ever written."

"Really? Who wrote it?"

"Me."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just learned the simplest trick and the dumb part is how I didn't think of it sooner:

Instead of marking knob positions on your pedals just set them where you want, pull the knobs themselves off and reset them on the posts at noon. If they ever get knocked outta whack just set the knobs back to noon.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"This fuzz pedal will ACTIVELY try to kill you!" -my new marketing copy

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Cancer Fuzz – It'll grow on you, I promise!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"This fuzz pedal will ACTIVELY try to kill you!" -my new marketing copy
"I yearn for death, and righteous clipping" :zombie:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ahh, now this is that classic stupid music thread content

Like what the gently caress. They relic'd it by... spraying some white paint on the edge of the headstock? Or did they just sand the tinted finish off there and it's white wood underneath?

Either way, they're asking $80 for an SX tele neck that costs $50 new (or $120 if you want the whole drat tele), because they hosed it up ever so slightly in ultra low-effort fashion. This feels kind of like way way back in ye olden days of SA when that one kid was trying to sell microwaved CDs as art.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tbf in california even a box of cheerios has a prop 65 warning

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The law needs to be overhauled. Anything with nickel gets the warning as well right?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I have yet to see a sign with the sign on it in the wild, but I still hold out hope.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Just learned the simplest trick and the dumb part is how I didn't think of it sooner:

Instead of marking knob positions on your pedals just set them where you want, pull the knobs themselves off and reset them on the posts at noon. If they ever get knocked outta whack just set the knobs back to noon.

That is brilliant. Also a great example of thinking outside the (fuzz) box

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ahh, now this is that classic stupid music thread content

Like what the gently caress. They relic'd it by... spraying some white paint on the edge of the headstock? Or did they just sand the tinted finish off there and it's white wood underneath?

Either way, they're asking $80 for an SX tele neck that costs $50 new (or $120 if you want the whole drat tele), because they hosed it up ever so slightly in ultra low-effort fashion. This feels kind of like way way back in ye olden days of SA when that one kid was trying to sell microwaved CDs as art.

It looked to me like he got all the way through removing the tuning pegs and was already about 80% done / bored at that point. Then he took out a belt sander and started on that flat part of the headstock where it won't gently caress up the playability of the neck (not a bad idea!) and he immediately gave up when he saw how ugly and white the poly finish turns under light sanding.

Pretty bold to call it a relic upgrade.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Ehm, which guitar technique exactly makes the side of the headstock (and ONLY that) wear down? I must be doing something wrong.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's a great starting point for my "nonsense relic" idea that I will totally get around to one day. Just heavy relicing a guitar in a bunch of places where it makes no sense, like heavy wear exclusively on the 18th fret of the A-string, wear from the pick below the knobs and so on.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

BonHair posted:

.... like heavy wear exclusively on the 18th fret of the A-string ...

Yeah, you know, I've been playing this one Korn riff for 8 years straight....

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A question came to me, as it does everyone, when looking at a Diezel VH4: What is the most ridiculous "high gain" amp? Ridiculous can mean anything from price to ostentatiousness to how insanely bad the tone is. You know who I mean... amps that look/sound like some dipshitted Alienware PC hosed a Carvin.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The John Petrucci Triple Rectos and Mark Whatevers that guitar world used to always have in the first ten pages every issue when I was a kid. You know the ones, with the purple snakeskin and poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A question came to me, as it does everyone, when looking at a Diezel VH4: What is the most ridiculous "high gain" amp? Ridiculous can mean anything from price to ostentatiousness to how insanely bad the tone is. You know who I mean... amps that look/sound like some dipshitted Alienware PC hosed a Carvin.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2008/01/18/loving-fucker/

At least the Reaktor ensemble of it sounded like utter poo poo.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i always thought it was pretty funny soldano offered snakeskin tolex as a standard option, but that's just a product of when they were designed. vader cabs back when those were a thing were pretty cool because they were finished with that brush on truck bedliner material. dunno why more companies don't do that, it's pretty durable

bad tone definitely goes to engl. never heard one of those sound good live

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
DAR FBM100, crazy hyped as a result of it being a collab with Fred Thordendal and from some of Ola's early vids, this was around 2012 so the peak of djent. I've no idea what those power tubes are but they look terrifying. I'm pretty the story behind it was the usual one of one overworked dude getting swamped with orders and closing up shop shortly afterwards.

A mate of mine had one of the less than 10 that were ever built and it definitely blew my hair back, but he sold it pretty quickly after he went to record with it and couldn't get the tone he wanted (I think he went with LePou Legion of all things after a couple of tries reamping)

edit: also looks alienware as gently caress, RGB LEDs lighting up with your playing and all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIUTY5vpWY

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ummmmmmm yes please

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Concatenation posted:

DAR FBM100, crazy hyped as a result of it being a collab with Fred Thordendal and from some of Ola's early vids, this was around 2012 so the peak of djent. I've no idea what those power tubes are but they look terrifying. I'm pretty the story behind it was the usual one of one overworked dude getting swamped with orders and closing up shop shortly afterwards.

A mate of mine had one of the less than 10 that were ever built and it definitely blew my hair back, but he sold it pretty quickly after he went to record with it and couldn't get the tone he wanted (I think he went with LePou Legion of all things after a couple of tries reamping)

edit: also looks alienware as gently caress, RGB LEDs lighting up with your playing and all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIUTY5vpWY

I wanted one of those so bad.

Also I don't know why, but a Mesa Triaxis and 2:Ninety always seemed like the peak for ridiculous metal when I was growing up. Finding out Petrucci ran like three Triaxis...es... plus a backup Dual Recto or some poo poo was just the most insane thing. Oh, the Peavey Triple X turned on that same sort of vibe. Late '90s early '00s with all the nu-metal poo poo was just a weird time to be into gear. There was that one 400-watt Marshall that I want to say was a Valvestate or something?

But that DAR was absolutely Alienware vibe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol it uses 6c33 tubes which were the infamous Mig fighter tubes. Also they're not Pentodes so the power section is run in Class A which is profoundly inefficient but allows it to sound... well.. like that. Jesus Christ that thing sounds insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Marshall Mode 4. 400watts, hybrid so only valves in the preamp. 4 channels that mostly sound like poo poo. Noisy cause it’s fan cooled with cheap computer fans that will die and brick the amp. Came out squarely aimed at saggy trousered nu metalers. Can be found for about a 1/4 of list price.

The oversized cab it came with was great though.