Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rogue waves are no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Favorite response from another forum I saw this on:

The rope breaks, stranding both children in the well.

A third child quietly cries as they begin to tie the rope around his ankles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/f05crh/the_ceiling_in_our_apartment_is_radiating_temps/

https://i.imgur.com/GjmTILt.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iospace posted:

Rogue waves are no joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-bfC8BM_g

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

My spouse and I live in a 6 story complex in Utah on the top floor, directly above us is a maintenance room that contains the elevator machinery and the boiler's for the complex.

This began last night Feb 5th, we noticed that the temperature was abnormally warm for how cold it is outside and were mildly concerned. Thinking it would be better tomorrow we went to sleep, lamenting that at worst, if we died, at least we'd die together in our sleep, but sleeping was incredibly difficult with how hot our ceiling turned out to be. It felt like we were putting our faces directly in front of a boiling pot of water all night long, it was hot and neither of us slept well. This morning I put in a work order for the heat, and found my infrared thermometer. Here's our front room vs bedroom temps. The ceiling is loving hot. The maintenance people came by about 3 pm, and told me that it was hot due to a power outage Tuesday morning, that went from about 8 am until probably 10:45ish, and that the boilers are working overtime to restore hot water to the building. They said if it persists to let them know tomorrow and they'd try to do something about it. It's now been 24 hours at least that our room has been this hot, and I don't really know if I can sleep in there again tonight.

That's not a boiler working overtime: that's a house on fire.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What the heck is going on with the temperature in that room??

e: oh I see now.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 7, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Heat rises, how hot/uninsulated is the boiler room?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

What, you've never seen an alligator clamp before?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Shut up Meg posted:

How helpless do you have to be to not call the fire department when your ceiling itself is almost hot enough to boil water?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

haveblue posted:

:dadjoke:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lazyhound posted:

How helpless do you have to be to not call the fire department when your ceiling itself is almost hot enough to boil water?

You watch your boomer parents make a big stink out of every minor inconvenience and then you grow up and it swings too far the other way and you don't want to be a bother.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

I wonder where the term "boiler" comes from?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I'd say they need to clean up that room but it might not matter in a day or two.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

haveblue posted:

Inspection note: "have concerns about bonding clamp, unsure of safe working distance, maintenance deferred"

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

glynnenstein posted:

DC loves to write parking tickets - well over a million every year. It's wild.

This anecdote is about 8 years old now, but DC used to allow tour buses to park for free along the perimeter of Potomac Park, and dozens would. This was a perfect setup as it was pretty close to the various monuments / museums that don't allow parking in the loading zones, was out of general traffic flow, and not anywhere near anything sensitive. A group get dropped off, do their thing for 2 hours, then call their driver up when they were ready for pickup. You could usually get to wherever they were in the National Mall in about 15 minutes.

DC then decided that they didn't want buses parking there anymore. Bus parking was to be at RFK Stadium, which takes about hour to drive to from the National Mall. The thing is, once you got there, it was already time to head back to wherever your group needed you to pick them up. So the other option besides parking was to just drive an empty bus in circles around the Mall, over and over in almost gridlock traffic, for a couple hours. I should add that the tours I drove didn't just have one bus, but multiple between 2-4. If DC wants to gently caress the drivers, the drivers can gently caress them right back.

5er posted:

The young Navy fella in old me is glad to have that poo poo behind me.

Well that's just common courtesy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does anyone have that script to make these videos embed at a sensible size in web browsers?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/QmvgNb5.mp4

particle explosions are still particle explosions even when the particles are large

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kith posted:

particle explosions are still particle explosions even when the particles are large

Why did that pile of... dead cats?... objects that god forgot to load the textures on... explode?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

funny bow for a submarine

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Arrhythmia posted:

Why did that pile of... dead cats?... objects that god forgot to load the textures on... explode?

Pile of papers, according to Instagram. Likely doused in gasoline.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arrhythmia posted:

It's a pile of shredded paper. Also, because when you have a lot of small flammable things together and they happen to catch on fire, the fire gets very excited about getting to ignite a lot of things all at once. Here's some folks basically making a bomb out of two bags of flower and a lovely bottle rocket that's based on the same principle.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

NoWake posted:

This anecdote is about 8 years old now, but DC used to allow tour buses to park for free along the perimeter of Potomac Park, and dozens would. This was a perfect setup as it was pretty close to the various monuments / museums that don't allow parking in the loading zones, was out of general traffic flow, and not anywhere near anything sensitive. A group get dropped off, do their thing for 2 hours, then call their driver up when they were ready for pickup. You could usually get to wherever they were in the National Mall in about 15 minutes.

DC then decided that they didn't want buses parking there anymore. Bus parking was to be at RFK Stadium, which takes about hour to drive to from the National Mall. The thing is, once you got there, it was already time to head back to wherever your group needed you to pick them up. So the other option besides parking was to just drive an empty bus in circles around the Mall, over and over in almost gridlock traffic, for a couple hours. I should add that the tours I drove didn't just have one bus, but multiple between 2-4. If DC wants to gently caress the drivers, the drivers can gently caress them right back.

Well that's just common courtesy

The one and only time I was on a chartered bus to DC, the bus company sucked and the initial bus broke down, and a replacement was sent to pick us all up. On the drive (philly to DC) the driver informs us that rather than dropping us near the national mall as contracted/expected, because the bus being driven didn't have a permit to enter DC city limits, (despite the fact that the bus that did have a permit was not going to DC) we would instead be dropped off at a metro station in VA, and have to ride the remainder of the way in, then meet the bus at that station at the end of the day to return home.

That bus never started at the end of the day, and we all waited 4 hours afterward waiting on a third bus that never materialized before we all left for a hotel to crash for the night to return in the morning.

gently caress busses, take amtrak. At least that poo poo runs because of Biden, or something.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

There's no thread I know of that highlights how .mp4s are unscalable awkward table-breaking object-focus-stealing poo poo more than this one. [/vent]

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 7, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

There's no thread I know of that highlights how .mp4s are unscalable awkward table-breaking object-focus-stealing poo poo more than this one. [/vent]

I had to use Firefox's Picture-in-Picture feature to scale it down, then "show controls" to actually see what was happening.

60 degrees in the living space, 90 in the room, 160 at the ceiling in that room :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kith posted:

I think the explosion is from gasoline fumes, the imgur caption mentions they were soaked in gas. I’m guessing there was enough of a delay for it to get nice and evaporated.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Paper soaked in gasoline also has a lot of fibers and surface area to wick gasoline out into the air, compared to logs or whatever other stupid poo poo people soak in gasoline and light on fire, and the gas soaked paper isn't going to be polite and stay in one place once the WHUUUUMF starts

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Paper soaked in gasoline also has a lot of fibers and surface area to wick gasoline out into the air, compared to logs or whatever other stupid poo poo people soak in gasoline and light on fire, and the gas soaked paper isn't going to be polite and stay in one place once the WHUUUUMF starts

Well, he only used gasoline soaked paper because his shipment of aluminum dust was delayed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kith posted:

It's a pile of shredded paper. Also, because when you have a lot of small flammable things together and they happen to catch on fire, the fire gets very excited about getting to ignite a lot of things all at once. Here's some folks basically making a bomb out of two bags of flower and a lovely bottle rocket that's based on the same principle.

The Engineer Trilogy by KJ Parker has a scene where a military operation goes to hell because someone set a stash of flour on fire. I fuckin loved those books.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

PittTheElder posted:

Does anyone have that script to make these videos embed at a sensible size in web browsers?

Browsing from my phone right now so I can't check, but I think there's a setting on the forums to keep images and video from breaking tables

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PittTheElder posted:

https://pastebin.com/gVS7wTBd

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

PittTheElder posted:

Paste this Script posted:

// ==UserScript==
// @name shorter videos
// @namespace https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description asdf
// @include https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 500px; max-width: 600px;} ");

I'm using chrome plugin violentmonkey,

koshmar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 7, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://i.imgur.com/yM7r5Yv.mp4

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 8, 2020

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Friendly thread reminder that killdozer was an rear end in a top hat

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i have a hunch one of those words is turkish for "cellphone" or related

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MachinePix/status/1225939524116594688

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

That poo poo ain't poo poo, hold my beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVz8N_PJ2E&hd=1

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from PYF Funny Pictures

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nuevo posted:

That poo poo ain't poo poo, hold my beer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVz8N_PJ2E&hd=1

That seems like the dumbest way of doing that job.

I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Well now I have an OSHA story.

We're getting some ducting run up the driveway. The contractors did a plan. It was all good. They came and installed it two weeks ahead of schedule. Awesome! Things are going great.

... and then

They were using a trenching machine to cut down 200mm into the soil. Most cables are buried lower than that, except, on the last metre of the cut when they discovered that back when some of the other cables were laid there was a splice which wasn't dug down as deeply as some of the other cables. Turns out it's the 400V power cable for three of the houses. A tiny puff of smoke later ...

Power company came to disconnect the power. But all the fuses are mislabeled. When the place was sub-divided they had a few different numbering schemes. One numbering scheme is used for mail. One is used for the council. One is used for the power company fuses. Then the electrician came to mend the cable. He pulled, and pulled. There was an extra metre of cable down there in a gigantic loop, which he chopped out and spliced. Then buried again.

Now all the fuses are labeled the same way as for mail delivery. And we have a slightly shorter but deeper power cable under the driveway.

Nobody died.