Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Amazing that trump has a better view of this than this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Enfys posted:

Chinese scientists think the virus might have jumped from pangolins

wow, this could be their best chance to escape extinction.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Admiral Ray posted:

Amazing that trump has a better view of this than this thread

agreed, trump is the light

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
incredibly stoked about how they handled this cruise ship in NJ.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This thread is now exclusively for posting about Pangolins. Post yuor favorite Pangolin pics here:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 7, 2020

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i don't like that we're all giong to catch coronavirus but these guys are very cute so i forgive them

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I'm not saying criticizing the government is racist, and tbh while I think some of the misinformation may be being spread due to racism, I think it's more that a lot of people have vested interests in depicting China as a country, and especially China as a communist country, as a totalitarian dystopia that doesn't care about its citizens' well-being, and people who want to spread that message are seizing on the coronavirus as a perfect crisis to spread that message by exaggerating the truth and amplifying often-false claims about China's supposed callous treatment of sick people. There are absolutely things to criticize about the way this crisis has been handled, like the long delay between first infections and response, and the attempts to quiet whistleblowers about the disease instead of listening to them, but I don't think that means we need to believe every random unsourced rumour and tweet claiming that Chinese soldiers in hazmat gear are abducting people off the street or going door-to-door taking people's temperatures at gunpoint.

I think this is well articulated and I wish more people would realize that you don't have to be President Xi's #1 superfan to realize that there are a lot of people pushing narratives about China for their own political purposes and if you live in the west you are probably being exposed to a very skewed perspective

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Pizza Segregationist posted:

I think this is well articulated and I wish more people would realize that you don't have to be President Xi's #1 superfan to realize that there are a lot of people pushing narratives about China for their own political purposes and if you live in the west you are probably being exposed to a very skewed perspective

it’s a he said, Xi said situation.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

g00d stuff

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
People are saying this is as bad as a seasonal flu but would anyone roll a d50 to see if they live or die

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Those scales are the same as human fingernails. So traditional medicine practitioners should move to human-sourced keratin, and leave the pangolins alone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If its us or the pangolins, we should just take the L

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gonna be really funny when the virus finally comes here and the law against covering your face prevents people from taking adequate precautions. :denmark:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SplitSoul posted:

Gonna be really funny when the virus finally comes here and the law against covering your face prevents people from taking adequate precautions. :denmark:

Lol. But what about industrial workers and medial workers who have always used masks :thunk:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Bedshaped posted:

People are saying this is as bad as a seasonal flu but would anyone roll a d50 to see if they live or die

yes ideally at least 50d50

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Royal Caribbean bans all passengers with Chinese, Macau, or HK passports from its cruises.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas-updates

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol. But what about industrial workers and medial workers who have always used masks :thunk:

Can't wear them off the job.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

BoldFace posted:

Royal Caribbean bans all passengers with Chinese, Macau, or HK passports from its cruises.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas-updates

quote:

Given that we have shortened the sailing, you’ll receive a 1-day refund in the form of an onboard credit for the day missed, plus a pro-rated credit, if you pre-purchased any packages such as, beverage, internet, or dining. Both credits will be added to your Onboard Account and once you’re onboard, you can use these credits anywhere onboard.

lol people don't even get a proper refund for the messed up sailing schedules

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dog Toothbrush posted:

if doctors think this is as bad as a seasonal flu why are flights getting cancelled and people getting rounded up and transported to stadium “hospitals”

like, is it not that bad, or is it really bad and us racist westerners just can’t understand shutting down whole cities for seasonal flu 2, which is it

the article i linked youre talking about (I think?) says it might BECOME similar to another seasonal flu... after the first global pandemic. the first pandemic will be significantly worse, because no one likely has immunities, and the mortality rate is magnitudes greater (1 or 2% for coronavirus most likely vs 0.01% for seasonal flu). after it infects a large portion of the world population and enough people develop immunities, it will not be able to spread as rapidly and it may also mutate to be less lethal.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TIL that Sandshrews are real.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Are we past the conspiracy theory stage yet? Next should be coronavirus death cults and religious worshiping.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
:dehumanize: ~all will be revealed under the brilliant golden light of the corona~ :dehumanize:

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
This thread goes from people telling other people not to worry, to people recommending facemasks, to other people saying not to worry, to China shutting down 25% of their economy and losing the trade war, to cruise lines banning entire nationalities and airlines cancelling flights to countries, to more goons saying this is normal.

I don't know what to think anymore.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

succ posted:

This thread goes from people telling other people not to worry, to people recommending facemasks, to other people saying not to worry, to China shutting down 25% of their economy and losing the trade war, to cruise lines banning entire nationalities and airlines cancelling flights to countries, to more goons saying this is normal.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

succ posted:

never trust the goons they will only fail you. trust only your fits

also outside a few weird hot take goons kramering saying lolitsjustflu, most goons have said that its pretty loving serious (but not apocalyptic), so it’s generally consistent the entire time

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know if I even want to avoid getting this if the pandemic happens. Won't the people with aquired immunity just go into all the remote and rural areas that have not been exposed and displace the people there like during the Columbian exchange? They will infect me, wait for me to die and then squatt in my apartment?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:orb:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

SplitSoul posted:

Throughout the U.S. there's a wide range of state (and possibly city) level restrictions on wearing masks or otherwise covering your face in public which are holdovers from the earliest legal efforts to dissuade people from participating in KKK rallies and similar activities.

Enforcement is usually only done as an add on to other illegal activities (i.e. if you wore a mask to rob someone) or to go after protesters, but it'd be interesting to see what happens if people are legally compelled and prohibited from wearing face masks in public at the same time

Growing up in the southeast U.S., the only time I can remember seeing adults wearing masks outdoors that weren't part of a costume was when it was sport/hunting gear or profession-related PPE.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wu han flu, pangs o every lin!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I work for a company that does a lot of manufacturing in china, and this is having a massive impact on our supply chain and will definitely impact the global economy. Our factories in Guangzhou were supposed to open after LNY and each Thursday they've delayed reopening for another week. AFAIK all of our factories in mainland China are closed, all of our suppliers in china are closed, shipping via any Chinese port is hosed, etc. We're looking at shifting production to elsewhere in SE Asia where we can, but IMO it's not gonna work if this continues to spread. Stock is already down 20% and we're unable to develop a huge amount of product, so this will have knock-on effects for months after the quarantines end. Our factories in Vietnam, Indonesia, ECT are also affected as much of our base material is produced in China and shipped there for final assembly. If predictions are correct and we're months out from this peaking in China and they remain closed until it happens this could cause large parts of the consumer goods industry to collapse, even if it doesn't become a pandemic outside of China.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

succ posted:

go back 2 sleep

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I work for a company that does a lot of manufacturing in china, and this is having a massive impact on our supply chain and will definitely impact the global economy. Our factories in Guangzhou were supposed to open after LNY and each Thursday they've delayed reopening for another week. AFAIK all of our factories in mainland China are closed, all of our suppliers in china are closed, shipping via any Chinese port is hosed, etc. We're looking at shifting production to elsewhere in SE Asia where we can, but IMO it's not gonna work if this continues to spread. Stock is already down 20% and we're unable to develop a huge amount of product, so this will have knock-on effects for months after the quarantines end. Our factories in Vietnam, Indonesia, ECT are also affected as much of our base material is produced in China and shipped there for final assembly. If predictions are correct and we're months out from this peaking in China and they remain closed until it happens this could cause large parts of the consumer goods industry to collapse, even if it doesn't become a pandemic outside of China.

Dope!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

yeah theyre not gonna be open for another month and a half at least, is my guess

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Woodchip posted:

it’s a he said, Xi said situation.

I think that it could be a Chinese BioWeapon that was accidentally released and that they are doing everything that they can to cover it up and contain it. Not because they care about people but because if it "gets out" and devastates the world they will be charged with some sort of war crime(or equivalent) and have to pay compensation. Maybe break up China like Germany after world war II? It was never meant to be released on their own people. One good thing to come from all of this is that the Chinese people are beginning to realize that their "Awesome Leader" is not everything he proclaims to be and may start to get out from under his thumb.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

succ posted:

I think that it could be a Chinese BioWeapon that was accidentally released and that they are doing everything that they can to cover it up and contain it. Not because they care about people but because if it "gets out" and devastates the world they will be charged with some sort of war crime(or equivalent) and have to pay compensation. Maybe break up China like Germany after world war II? It was never meant to be released on their own people. One good thing to come from all of this is that the Chinese people are beginning to realize that their "Awesome Leader" is not everything he proclaims to be and may start to get out from under his thumb.

its not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

love too make a bioweapon that has like 1% mortality and is about as contagious as the flu