Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Even when I liked harry potter I thought the movies sucked

Eh, Azkaban is ok, mostly because Cuaron knows what he's doing and it was really the only good book in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought the last two were good too, and the first hits the mark it's aiming for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Towards the middle they become borderline incomprehensible.

Neville Longbottom's actor managed to mature in exactly the right way for the role.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/stat...nuel-miranda%2F

hopefully this means we'll be spared a proper film adaptation from happening anytime soon

It's time to post the current affairs again!

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/07/you-should-be-terrified-that-people-who-like-hamilton-run-our-country

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

extremely funny to see the harry potter movies viewed with such nostalgia now while the lotr ones have been all but memory holed

They're next in line

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Towards the middle they become borderline incomprehensible.

Neville Longbottom's actor managed to mature in exactly the right way for the role.

to be honest the whole series benefitted from incredibly good casting, radcliffe turned out to be a great actor very quickly and watson is basically hermione IRL

and Azkaban is a smorgasbord of quality actors

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might have said it before, but the best part of that series was giving Daniel Radcliffe enough money that he could do whatever roles he wanted regardless of how low budget or doomed for failure the movie was. Even if some of them ended up being real stinkers.

Rupert Grint has also had at least one good independent British movie since then, Driving Lessons. Probably a lot more but they never got marketed over here. It's good to see child actors not permanently hosed up by the monster that is Hollywood.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was Age of Ultron.

Yes, they did spend a lot of time trying to save people, but unless I'm mistaken it just goes unsaid that the evacuation rate was not 100% despite their best efforts, and that whole city of Wachovia or whatever was still physically destroyed.

Which then gets us to Civil War where the psi-lady accidentally blows up a bunch of people in Nigeria and it's the last straw before the UN decides that maybe superheroes should be subject to some level of accountability.

They don't care about Africans being killed though

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Preemptive :goonsay: but that was her trying to stop a white cryptofascist suicide bomber and failing.

I mean the whole thing is kind of hard to frame in a realistic sense, since the whole idea of superheroes is so far removed from reality, but the idea of rogue superheroes doing whatever they want scares me way less than the idea of superheroes working for the CIA or something.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
superheroes working for the CIA is what happens in Black Panther, to install a puppet royalty

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and try to say THAT's bad

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Monarchy is good as long as it's good monarchy

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After a flashy hip-hop-style wayward youth tries to destabilize the globe in a childish tantrum. He has good intentions but he's too immature to understand how this will destroy our beloved culture and traditions. Here's where the CIA comes in.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

dex_sda posted:

to be honest the whole series benefitted from incredibly good casting, radcliffe turned out to be a great actor very quickly and watson is basically hermione IRL

and Azkaban is a smorgasbord of quality actors

The reason why Harry Potter is still so pervasive is that millennials really got to grow up with the series. The series started when I was Harry's age and it ended with me just a year or two older than him. That's probably also why I never got into any of the side material or the prequel series since it didn't have that hook into my own life.

That's probably why I still defend it, even though it has some problems and JK Rowling is a horrendous succlib.

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Feb 7, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might have said it before, but the best part of that series was giving Daniel Radcliffe enough money that he could do whatever roles he wanted regardless of how low budget or doomed for failure the movie was. Even if some of them ended up being real stinkers.

Rupert Grint has also had at least one good independent British movie since then, Driving Lessons. Probably a lot more but they never got marketed over here. It's good to see child actors not permanently hosed up by the monster that is Hollywood.

IIRC I heard that after the horrible experience with Home Alone, Chris Columbus specifically made sure to filter out any obvious stage parents when casting kids for the roles.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Feldegast42 posted:

The reason why Harry Potter is still so pervasive is that millennials really got to grow up with the series. The series started when I was Harry's age and it ended with me just a year or two older than him. That's probably also why I never got into any of the side material or the prequel series since it didn't have that hook into my own life.

That's probably why I still defend it, even though it has some problems and JK Rowling is a horrendous succlib.

That is definitely part of it. Also, the Harry Potter books offers a comfortable, contained world to live in, for the most part. There are threats in each book and occasionally they leave the domesticated areas but, last book aside, most of Harry Potter is hanging out with friends, doing activities, classes, eating, etc. It’s a fantasy posh boarding school experience in contemporary magic reality; LOTR is a fantasy world war and they characters spend most of their time not fighting thinking about what the land looks like, being tired, dirty and becoming increasingly aggravated by how bland their rations are.

If Lord Of The Rings spent 70% of its run in Hobbiton and 30% dealing with its wizard Hitler it might be more like Potter, ie comfort food.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

:ssh: I still enjoy harry potter for the reasons you described - to the point that I am rereading the series in Spanish to learn words, since I have extra context to guess words (another reason is that the first ones are for children so it has a natural progression curve) - but I can't lie, a lot of it, especially starting with 5 has a lot of garbage.

1 is great for kids, 2 is almost an amazing thriller but gets interrupted too much with wacky hijinks, Azkaban is legitimately a great book, and then they get way weaker - all the rest are too long, and 6/7 in particular are also boring.

And Rowling is loving stupid.

mysterious frankie posted:

If Lord Of The Rings spent 70% of its run in Hobbiton and 30% dealing with its wizard Hitler it might be more like Potter, ie comfort food.

yeah I think that's a pretty good description of what HP is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As a kid I felt like number 4 was the best one and it just cratered really fast afterwards.

It might be related to how it was one of the first novels I read in english and so I had a few months advance on everyone at my school who were waiting for the french translation.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Watching the Extreme Ghostbusters and the first episodes got a throwaway age of consent joke, gross body horror, and the weird antisemitism (but bowdlerized for kids) golem episode comes not long after. The Columbia TriStar cartoons are so loving weird. Good, but absolutely incomprehensible in how they came to exist.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

4 would be amazing except for the bullshit climax coming out of nowhere. It's a decent main plot, and the climax is set up so great and then it ends on such a blatant asspull. Still decent.

5 is actually a really interesting look into how a person would be with ptsd and hormones, but it doesn't make for good reading.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
whole lot of interesting psychology going on even among the characters themselves in Harry Potter, so much so that you’d think the wizards should invest in that whole psychology business, but it’s okay as JRowls says they can cure mental illness with magic. very good worldbuilding.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

'missed opportunity to shut up about dumb poo poo' describes rowling's MO for the last 15 years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

dex_sda posted:

5 is actually a really interesting look into how a person would be with ptsd and hormones, but it doesn't make for good reading.

luna lovegood would have been a perfect vehicle for this but then rowling goes out of her way to avoid using her by far the best character in the franchise go figure

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

luna lovegood would have been a perfect vehicle for this but then rowling goes out of her way to avoid using her by far the best character in the franchise go figure

the best thing is that even rowling knows luna is the best but still avoids using her lmfao

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

4 is still my favorite book but the big twist was a definite asspull, especially because it could have been way better foreshadowed and explained pretty easily.

5 I didn't like at first but I agree that the general idea of the book (Harry at his most teen angsty phase, coinciding with some real bullshit he had legit reasons to angst about) is solid, and Umbridge and Luna are the best characters in the series. Its grown on me.

6 I found boring since it was all buildup for book 7 and I didn't really like that the shipping / dating bits took over the book, but I know a couple people that this really resonated with. Ginny is also a pretty poorly written love interest who was only a thing since for whatever reason Rowling didn't want Harry to shack up with Hermione in the end.

7 was just kind of bad and scattershot overall, but I think the final two movies smoothed it out and did it a lot more justice, especially once the story got back into Hogwarts. I think the story would have been a lot better if the action stayed at the school the whole time, but given the nature of events that would have been impossible.

Welp anyway that's my Harry Potter opinions

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Feb 7, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the asspull at the end of goblet of fire is what really sets the stage for the revisionist take of harry potter overall because the most charitable possible explanation for what happened is that dumbledore and friends were too obsessed with cheating at a high school sports competition to notice that one of their closest allies had been replaced by a doppleganger working with wizard hitler up until that point enough of their incompetency had taken place offpage that it could be safely ignored

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

4 is still my favorite book but the big twist was a definite asspull, especially because it could have been way better foreshadowed and explained pretty easily.

5 I didn't like at first but I agree that the general idea of the book (Harry at his most teen angsty phase, coinciding with some real bullshit he had legit reasons to angst about) is solid, and Umbridge and Luna are the best characters in the series. Its grown on me.

6 I found boring since it was all buildup for book 7 and I didn't really like that the shipping / dating bits took over the book, but I know a couple people that this really resonated with. Ginny is also a pretty poorly written love interest who was only a thing since for whatever reason Rowling didn't want Harry to shack up with Hermione in the end.

7 was just kind of bad and scattershot overall, but I think the final two movies smoothed it out and did it a lot more justice, especially once the story got back into Hogwarts. I think the story would have been a lot better if the action stayed at the school the whole time, but given the nature of events that would have been impossible.

Welp anyway that's my Harry Potter opinions

7 sucked rear end because half the book was spent camping while the main characters occasionally heard rumours that interesting things were happening elsewhere, and then out of nowhere there's a giant battle and it's over

the movies really saved 7's reputation imo because they bothered to make the first part mildly interesting (even though most of it was just a straight copy of the corrupting artifact trope that everybody had most recently seen in LOTR) by spending way more time and focus on the interesting bits at the beginning and turning the midpoint into an actual climax, whereas in the book (I think, I read it once years and years ago) they spend way less time on the interesting bits and way more time hanging out in a tent being angsty

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
on the bright side 7 (at least the movie) does give us the moment where they just summarily imprison all the slytherins without trial because everyone knows its the evil house full of evil wizards, and then somehow they don't bother disbanding slytherin house when everything goes back to normal afterwards??????

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it would be extremely undecorous to ban nazi wizards from participating in the government just because nazi hitler did bad things

this is literally the explanation the book gives for why lucius malfoy has significantly more political and economic power than the weasley dad

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

the asspull at the end of goblet of fire is what really sets the stage for the revisionist take of harry potter overall because the most charitable possible explanation for what happened is that dumbledore and friends were too obsessed with cheating at a high school sports competition to notice that one of their closest allies had been replaced by a doppleganger working with wizard hitler up until that point enough of their incompetency had taken place offpage that it could be safely ignored

i found the bigger asspull to be the priori incantatem bit, it's not foreshadowed at all that something like this might happen with sister wands and it ruins the awesome setpiece of the cemetary for me.

fake moody passed as moody because the book needs to happen, whatev's, I can buy it (though it was dumb)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

vyelkin posted:

on the bright side 7 (at least the movie) does give us the moment where they just summarily imprison all the slytherins without trial because everyone knows its the evil house full of evil wizards, and then somehow they don't bother disbanding slytherin house when everything goes back to normal afterwards??????

Yeah but JK Rowling said that some Slytherin's totally did fight against wizard hitler offscreen and didn't join the rest of their house in the dungeons so

Some Guy TT posted:

it would be extremely undecorous to ban nazi wizards from participating in the government just because nazi hitler did bad things

this is literally the explanation the book gives for why lucius malfoy has significantly more political and economic power than the weasley dad

The funny bit is that would be a perfect starting point to jump into the class issues with wizarding society and how they intersect with the fullblood / halfblood system, and how the rich Nazis still hold power and influence and somehow weaseled out of being held accountable for their crimes, but since JK Rowling is a polite Tory we don't get any of that

Sirius Black is an interesting character because he was an outright class traitor, burning off his own picture in the big family tree in the ancestral home, but then he got killed senselessly in book 5 and then it was never touched on again

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Feb 7, 2020

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m always gonna be a bit of a pathetic harry potter defense lib but even then by the end of the fifth book it was clear that wizarding society was rotted inside and out. back in like 2011 I’d have said that books 6/7 weren’t as good because rowling just struggled with how to end the story but now she obviously saw nothing wrong with that society except that the Bad Guys got back in charge

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So apparently Harley Quinn voted for Bernie Sanders

We know this because it's the last of Black Mask's grievances against her- he voted for Hillary

Why do I find this hilariously plausible

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We know this because it's the last of Black Mask's grievances against her- he voted for Hillary

lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She also hosed Adam

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MizPiz posted:

She also hosed Adam

...which Adam?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted: