Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

As you may know, Admiral Picard, at this facility we have made great advances in biotech. We have learned how to combine the shape-shifting abilities of the Founders with synthetic life forms. May I present to you the new, most valuable member of your crew...

ODATA, the Odo and Data combination that kicks rear end and takes names!

I'm fairly sure you've just invented the T1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

I'm fairly sure you've just invented the T1000

That explains why people keep coming to my point in the timeline to kill me.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Picard asked for a small ship and got told no, rudely.

Kirk just straight up stole the Enterprise and sabotaged the ship that should've caught him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

Kirk just straight up stole the Enterprise and sabotaged the ship that should've caught him.

And then blew the Enterprise the gently caress up. He only got off because he saved humanity from extermination in the most publicly visible way possible.

Don't think anything like that is gonna happen for JLP, but we'll see.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nullsmack posted:

Yeah if he would have learned anything from Kirk it would be that it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The ex-borg Hugh... is that the same Hugh Picard liberated years ago? That would be crazy but very trek

In fact iirc Hugh was sent back to the borg with some virus that gave the borg their individual identities back, which would explain the decrepit borg cube with a collapsed submatrix that the romulans are pilfering

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 7, 2020

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The ex-borg Hugh... is that the same Hugh Picard liberated years ago? That would be crazy but very trek

In fact iirc Hugh was sent back to the borg with some virus that gave the borg their individual identities back, which would explain the decrepit borg cube with a collapsed submatrix that the romulans are pilfering

finish watching tng

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's the same actor even.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I've seen the whole thing albeit years ago, I vaguely remember Lore and borg stuff but I don't know if hugh was part of that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hugh realized Lore was loving up the borgs and not really helping them. The cube in this show is not the cube Hugh was on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes, it's the same Hugh. Though from the episode it's heavily implied that the Romulans did something to gently caress that cube up because the last ship it assimilated was a Romulan cruiser and not long after the last person onboard was a drone it went into submatrix collapse. That's why all the ex-drones freaked out when Soji seemingly pulled that fact out of nowhere, like "how the gently caress did you know that :tinfoil:"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
After seeing the Borg attack the federation over and over, the Romulans insisted that every government and military officer memorize the nam-shub of Enki so that if they were ever assimilated it would bluescreen the Borg collective. It worked. Then the Borg Firewall cut off that cube from the collective and quarantined it. They didn't come back for it because it had cyber-samurai Romulan hackers in it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly I think this show is boring and the world-building feels lazy. There are weird plot holes like three different Romulan hit squads (because they all die so they must be separate teams) operating apparently without opposition on Earth. I guess Commander Oh is covering for them but still, weapons fire in an urban area would seem difficult to cover up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Resistance is futile"
"Does a set of all sets contain itself?"
"Resistance is actually a good idea, please go away"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah if he would have learned anything from Kirk it would be that it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Maybe he learned from the history of Michael Burnham that the Federation will throw your rear end in prison for life if you go off half-cocked and DON'T save humanity.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think the slower pace will be better appreciated in the future when we can just binge watch the episodes and not have to wait awhile between them.

I think it's a refreshing change of pace, and I'm enjoying seeing the mystery unfold and all the world building they're giving the Romulans and establishing of Picard's new crew.

Is everyone forgetting Discovery with its 1200 concurrent plot points and not giving enough time to really focus on any one of them?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly I think this show is boring and the world-building feels lazy. There are weird plot holes like three different Romulan hit squads (because they all die so they must be separate teams) operating apparently without opposition on Earth. I guess Commander Oh is covering for them but still, weapons fire in an urban area would seem difficult to cover up.

They got bodies on this last one. They could definitely call someone up and go "hey there's a dead hit squad here y'all want to talk more about this conspiracy now?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

They got bodies on this last one. They could definitely call someone up and go "hey there's a dead hit squad here y'all want to talk more about this conspiracy now?"

"Really Picard? The sheer loving hubris. You call me claiming you have a dead Romulan hit squad in your living room. I send Commodore Oh over to check it out and she says there's nothing there. She said the whole place looked totally undisturbed."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

"Really Picard? The sheer loving hubris. You call me claiming you have a dead Romulan hit squad in your living room. I send Commodore Oh over to check it out and she says there's nothing there. She said the whole place looked totally undisturbed."

You're right that wouldn't work. That would be an actually interesting scene and this is Star Trek Picard.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

also in a world where transproters and no shields exist why dont the hit squads just transport them into outer space or the ocean or some poo poo.

I relaly do like Picard but there have been some lazy as gently caress writing so far

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

adaz posted:

I want a 10,000 word long form oral history piece on the process that led to those shades appearing on screen.

e: like this amazing story about move along home's infamous hopskotch scene that came up thanks to an intern

Oh my god I just got around to this and by "thanks to an intern" you mean an intern loving conceived it. That makes so much sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

adaz posted:

also in a world where transproters and no shields exist why dont the hit squads just transport them into outer space or the ocean or some poo poo.

I relaly do like Picard but there have been some lazy as gently caress writing so far

The transporters have been used that way maybe 3 or 4 times in the entirety of TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise. Why would Picard be any different?

It’s the ground-based equivalent of the “why don’t they just beam a torpedo onto the bridge” argument.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I dunno I kind of think Star Trek should try to look like the future and not like whatever poo poo looks like now. There are bits and pieces I like but on the whole nothing really feels cohesive and it kind of sucks that there's not much differentiating STD era with the 24th century now. At least when they reused the shuttles from ST:V for TNG they cut up the set a bit and get it new nacelles.
I do like that you can see the orange and purple in some of the holographic controls. The reality is that Star Trek just never really nailed down a real consistency in aesthetic outside of the the TNG Era stuff. The ship designs are dope and there is a sense of what the uniforms should look like in terms of silhouette, but I don't think you would peg TOS, Wrath of Khan, Deep Space 9, and Discovery as representing the same world from a quick glance if you weren't familiar with the series.

I think what bothers me about the design is that it's a future designed up from cellphones. And while I understand the reasoning behind that, it's a mistake. It's not like TOS or TNG were just wrong in predicting how communication would develop. Because those shows didn't really reflect the technology that did exist at the time. It's not like Kirk or Picard are depicted just watching TV. Star Trek has, accidentally or not, generally depicted this virtuous society. People's time is always depicted as centering around being social, honing talents, and exploring. Even the holodeck is fundamentally based on engagement and not consumption.

The Boston landscsape we see is hinting at a very consumption based society.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We don't know that there aren't precautions against it, either. Maybe there's teleporter interdiction in private residences, maybe the Tal Shiar guys set up teleporter interdiction when they arrived, maybe earth itself doesn't allow site-to-site transport without authorization. We don't know a lot of little things about how things work.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So because of this thread, I watched a video. This video. With a timestamp for a joke at the end!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIij0XO9_Ek&t=581s
Oh wait, why is that joke so familiar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi5mj6-CUiY&t=490s
Ha!
I'm not making any points here. I don't think the joke is stolen, I'm just amused that I remembered it from a different video.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The transporters have been used that way maybe 3 or 4 times in the entirety of TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise. Why would Picard be any different?

It’s the ground-based equivalent of the “why don’t they just beam a torpedo onto the bridge” argument.

if a show once about idealism and demonstrating to present humans what we could be by showing reflections of ourselves in comparison to an ideal to reveal our current problems is going to start dealing in realpolitik the least it can do is beam some torpedos onto bridges

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

adaz posted:

How does the transporter operator know which 3 to beam up when they say that over comms

As a wise man once said, "if you're wondering how they eat and breath, and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax."

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

We don't know that there aren't precautions against it, either. Maybe there's teleporter interdiction in private residences, maybe the Tal Shiar guys set up teleporter interdiction when they arrived, maybe earth itself doesn't allow site-to-site transport without authorization. We don't know a lot of little things about how things work.

This is fair and in reflection y'all are right it's a dumb thing to care about.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
My headcanon on 'funds, prices, currency' etc:
Energy. Anything in ST world is made with energy through replicators. They use energy as 'currency'. Guaranteed Universal Basic Income of like whatever MW per time cycle per person? Which should be enough for 4 meals a day with drinks, a set of clothes a week and a few transporter passes a week, something like that. If you recycle through replicator you recieve 'cashback' for the amount of energy made from your recycled stuff.
If you do things like work or art or else people 'pay' you with valuables (barter) or energy credits. Not monetary value, but energy 'allowance'. They don't have infinite energy after all, hence even the Golden Gate covered in solar panels.
Want a coffee, a pizza, a new fancy phone, a replica of that 69 camaro spare part? You spend your energy credits from you account on any replicator nearby.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Are cheerleaders really still a thing in 2020?

I was actually referring to Netflix Cheer, which was mostly interesting and has been renewed for another season.

PostNouveau posted:

Shocked to find out they're brother and sister this episode.

It was OK the first time they did it in Episode 2.

Establishing shots in nuTrek are all 360 rotation crane shots pushing in for kilometers apparently.

I like this ceiling drop down to tracking shot, even though there's no rotation. The Cube is dark so to light the set there's shafts of light coming up from below, then the holograph.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think the slower pace will be better appreciated in the future when we can just binge watch the episodes and not have to wait awhile between them.

I think it's a refreshing change of pace, and I'm enjoying seeing the mystery unfold and all the world building they're giving the Romulans and establishing of Picard's new crew.

Is everyone forgetting Discovery with its 1200 concurrent plot points and not giving enough time to really focus on any one of them?

Slower pace I think means giving plots and character room to breathe and be developed. What I'm getting from these three episodes is that they were padded out from an over long pilot episode, but instead of extra development we get repetition, possibly because they can't hit certain beats too early and possibly because they don't have much more to drill down in to.

Examples:

The scenes between the Romulan siblings being all vague about the superiority of each other's tactics: You've got the scene where she holograms in and the scene where she turns up on the cube. Either of those could have been cut since they're functionally identical. I'd lose the latter since that one feels like the tacked on version.

The Picard / Raffi flashback: pure padding and retelling info we already know or are about to be told again in the present day.

Synth goes rogue on Mars: Yeah it's a neat little action scene, but unless this particular Android is particularly important we don't get any new information from this scene. We certainly don't need to see it all again in ep 3.

Alison Pill takes tea with Picard in ep2: this scene boils down to "her backstory was fabricated, you should look into the sister", information we already have.

Into to Soji and Brother Beard: waste of time, start their story in media res when they're waking up together - makes the time frame more ambitious, makes his motives less obviously nefarious and introduces both characters more organically.

Admiral Hubris talking to Commodore O: waste of time, we don't know that there's any Federation conspiracy yet so to introduce it in this scene rather having it be a surprise when Sister Spy holograms into her Brother's room in full Federation uniform is a missed opportunity. You'd be revealing that there's Romulan spies in the Federation who are working with a Federation ally (Oooh, who could it be? ) and that Brother Beard is involved, all in the same scene. Efficient!

Honestly I'd lose Dahj's intro fight scene too, just have her be some dishevelled girl with a head wound that shows up on Picard's door. We don't get any info in that scene that she doesn't tell Picard anyway, and it hammers home how good and reasonable a dude he is that he's hearing her out, remember we only believe her story because we see it happen. Plus it makes the investigation scene at her apartment less repetitive because the audience is learning things at the same pace as the characters, not patiently waiting for them to catch up.

e: I'm sure I cound think of a bunch more. And this isn't so much script doctoring, just maybe how you could edit the existing footage down to a tighter run time without losing much. It's just off the top of my head, it may not work at all. But I think they made the story flabby instead of more detailed.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 8, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No. Picard wanted to send Hugh back to the Borg with a geometric paradox embedded in his mind, with the thought that when he was re-connected to the Collective, it would cripple the Borg. Eventually he chose not to do this after realizing that Hugh wasn't "just" a drone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's the same actor even.

He looks like a thinner, less necrotic Steve Bannon which really hosed me up for a minute or so.

Binary Logic posted:

I like this ceiling drop down to tracking shot, even though there's no rotation. The Cube is dark so to light the set there's shafts of light coming up from below, then the holograph.

I’ll like this shot but I’m getting pretty tired of every starship interior in Nu-Trek being dark and gloomy (and some shade of blue I guess?). Give me some brightly lit corridors again. Heck, even slave mining mode DS9 was brighter than I feel new trek tends to be.

Ed: I’m obviously not expecting a borg cube to be brightly lit, I’m just thinking out loud about recent trek in general and this specific shot just reminded me that absent of knowing it’s a borg cube it could just be some edgy engineering set.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 8, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Martytoof posted:

He looks like a thinner, less necrotic Steve Bannon which really hosed me up for a minute or so.

I’ll like this shot but I’m getting pretty tired of every starship interior in Nu-Trek being dark and gloomy (and some shade of blue I guess?). Give me some brightly lit corridors again. Heck, even slave mining mode DS9 was brighter than I feel new trek tends to be.

Ed: I’m obviously not expecting a borg cube to be brightly lit, I’m just thinking out loud about recent trek in general and this specific shot just reminded me that absent of knowing it’s a borg cube it could just be some edgy engineering set.

Honestly, I find a lot of DS9 visually unappealing because of the soft focus lens they use and what it does to light sources on screen. It gives it that blurry soap opera feel. Same with late stage TNG. I watched both parts of Time's Arrow a few weeks ago on Netflix and the split between their old lighting scheme in Part 1 and the one they'd use in Part 2 and for the rest of the show/DS9 is horrifyingly jarring. It's also the point where Gene dies and they rip his name out of the credits, so I have this mental image of Rick Berman just standing over Roddenberry's corpse going "FINALLY! FINALLY! SOFT-FOCUS LIGHTING! gently caress YOU DEAD OLD MAN! IT'S ALL MINE NOW! MWAAHAHAHAH!"

And then Les Moonves leans in the from doorway in between bouts of sexual harassment and does the Ling Bei-Fong "I'm watching you" thing and Berman immediately clams up in terror.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, I’ll take cinematic lighting that’s probably too dark in reality over “lights so loving bright we have to slap construction paper on the back walls to prevent glare” any day. I mean goddamn, in some of the TNG season 1/2 episodes the lighting is so bad that Picard and Riker are casting dark shadows across half the bridge.

I know it’s not a historical documentary, I don’t need everything to be 100% realistic. Put shades on Vulcans and do weird camera poo poo, I don’t care.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, 90s soundstage lighting is thankfully out the window. Though, I could deal with less blue.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I’ll take cinematic lighting that’s probably too dark in reality over “lights so loving bright we have to slap construction paper on the back walls to prevent glare” any day. I mean goddamn, in some of the TNG season 1/2 episodes the lighting is so bad that Picard and Riker are casting dark shadows across half the bridge.

I know it’s not a historical documentary, I don’t need everything to be 100% realistic. Put shades on Vulcans and do weird camera poo poo, I don’t care.

I think Voyager got How To Light A Star Trek Show right. Light when it needed to be, dark when it needed to be, everything properly in focus, no lens flares or gloomy shadows, just proper and functional light. It could been a tad bit more cinematic, but it was 90s TV sci-fi so take what you can get, I guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Voyager got How To Light A Star Trek Show right. Light when it needed to be, dark when it needed to be, everything properly in focus, no lens flares or gloomy shadows, just proper and functional light. It could been a tad bit more cinematic, but it was 90s TV sci-fi so take what you can get, I guess.

Yeah, that’s fair. I think it also helped that Voyager had relatively dark set design instead of TNG’s beige and pastel aesthetic. There’s a lot of grey and charcoal on the bridge and in the hallways. DS9’s ambers and beiges put it somewhere in the middle of the two.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One thing I love about the Cube is how much brighter the prefabs they do a lot of the work in are. It's a neat contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I haven't read every post since the last episode came out but am I the only one that thought Ramdha the borgified Romulan lady was played by Sigourney Weaver? I had to look it up and she's not but it was driving me crazy.