Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, wouldn't that be the best way to determine who is actually most delectable and who is most likely to fit the party's goals moving forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i love this poll, if it holds any where near true for the final result bernie will sweep 50 states

the only tragedy will be bernie not taking home 100% of nh's delegates, but buttigieg has no viability after nh anyway.

biden is the only real threat, but that threat is rapidly shrinking. bernie got this.

however keep donating, canvassing, etc. like he's down 15 points in the polls.

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
Regarding Yang's support, average federal student loan payments are $393/month. His magic number is $1,000, right? That's a nice big chunk.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

This is the article that pretty much sealed the deal for me back in April that Pete's a dangerous narcissist.

Nathan J Robinson also just posted a follow-up article minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1225902487368015873

LOL who writes a memoir at the age of 35? What a loving dork

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yronic heroism posted:

I agree. But if Pete starts looking like a winner I suspect his numbers will increase across the board. Whether it works out for him or not is an open question but he’ll absolutely pick a running mate to compensate for where he’s looking weakest.

picking a running mate before the convention is a sure-fire way to murder your campaign dead, there's no more obvious sign of weakness. this is not going to be a thing buttigieg does, and if he did, it'd be the dumbest thing he could possibly do and end any prospects of him ever competing on the national stage in any capacity ever again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anyone post this extremely normal news about Warren that definitely does not portend the immediate collapse of her Nevada office?

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1225906277064364034

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pick posted:

I understand that these things are much more difficult to institute an actual governmental level, but why do the primaries not use ranked voting? Doesn't that seem like something at the party should actually want to do? And it's not like they need anybody else's permission to do so.

Well they kind of used it in Iowa but suddenly it turned out to be less favorable for Bernie so a bunch of people aren’t as fond of it as they used to be. Hence his campaign’s focus the first preference number.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pick posted:

I understand that these things are much more difficult to institute an actual governmental level, but why do the primaries not use ranked voting? Doesn't that seem like something at the party should actually want to do? And it's not like they need anybody else's permission to do so.

can't let people get a taste of freedom :ssh:

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

$1.5 trillion is held directly by the federal government, that's almost all of it I believe.

But you are correct, forgiving private loans would require an act of congress, of course anyone with private loans also has federal loans (because you don't take out private loans with their horrible terms until you've maxed out your federal loans) so for almost everyone you're still forgiving most of their debt

The only real exception are people who refinanced their loans with third parties. These people tend to be high earners. Moreover, probably easier to get Congress to pass the forgiveness for those folks after you do blanket forgiveness for everything you can by EO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did anyone post this extremely normal news about Warren that definitely does not portend the immediate collapse of her Nevada office?

If Warren can't place at least second in NH then she's cooked. She really needed to perform well in Iowa and didn't get it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pick posted:

The broadest applicable answer is that each state's party would have to vote on and approve it. The reason it typically doesn't happen is due to institutional inertia. It takes a long time, often years, of convincing people and often trying to get the right people elected to the party positions needed to get such a change done. And then if you got RCV approved (which would be objectively better, agreed) you'll have to change the ballots, training for counters, etc.

It's extremely worth it, but difficult to do without the right people in place and without popular pressure.

Pick posted:

who is actually most delectable

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

oxsnard posted:

It’s more common than you think...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreams_from_My_Father

Edit: I concede Obama is a dork, of course, but he’s the coolest dork there is.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 7, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I like you as a poster. Not ironic.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

In the near term, there is no feasible alternative to having a personal vehicle for most of the country. Subsidizing electric car research, development, and manufacture is a reality as well as a good way to invest in employment opportunities.

Pie in the sky? Ya, great to shoot for a carless world. It's not realistic in the short/middle term.

From the perspective of reducing emissions, investment in more dense affordable housing and public transit are both better in the near term. And it's not like those don't create tons of jobs and otherwise improve people's lives as well.

This was a political move. It's probably the right political move. You have to make compromises to build a coalition. But that was the motive.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pick posted:

Primaries are run by the state government so they do in fact need anybody else's permission to do so. Also it'd probably be a huge debate over how exactly to use ranked voting because it's not winner take all. Do you just cut off everyone under the cutoff and redistribute their votes? Work from the bottom one at a time? How do you work in the delegates for specific congressional districts vs "at large" delegates for the entire state? You'd almost certainly end up with different states adopting different methodologies, so the same votes give different results in different states and drive more confusion that would likely provoke a backlash at the process.

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/elzarechtman/status/1225828346954731521?s=21

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1225566201079848960

Mike is positioning himself as the "Fast Food Restaurant Twitter" candidate.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

reignonyourparade posted:

Primaries are run by the state government so they do in fact need anybody else's permission to do so. Also it'd probably be a huge debate over how exactly to use ranked voting because it's not winner take all. Do you just cut off everyone under the cutoff and redistribute their votes? Work from the bottom one at a time? How do you work in the delegates for specific congressional districts vs "at large" delegates for the entire state? You'd almost certainly end up with different states adopting different methodologies, so the same votes give different results in different states and drive more confusion that would likely provoke a backlash at the process.

I mean I was assuming that this would start on the state by state level, that states should want to do it themselves. You are correct that they would have to come up with some thresholds, but I don't think that's an unreasonable challenge.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

it's incredibly emblematic of the difference between politicians and their movements who latch on to good causes for electability and optics reasons versus those who genuinely and primarily want to help people, imo

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

oxsnard posted:

Oh yeah? Do you think President Barack Obama is a "loving dork" as well?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

beaten

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hope sanders does well at the debate. I don't watch them cause I think they are completely boring and stupid. But I'll read about the highlights. I'm guessing Sanders goes after Buttigieg hard and Buttigieg does his best to dodge everything. And then the media tries to portray Sanders as a big mean bully! But Sanders has gotten good at navigating these minefields. So hope he keeps doing that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Uglycat posted:

reminder that this was the thread's 'best case scenario' outcome, going into iowa, before we got distracted by a lovely app, the (obviously anticipated) establishment thumb, and some silly conspiracy theory stuff.

Right?

Heck just look back in the Iowa polling averages, Buttigieg was leading until recently. It was always going to be competitive, I think a few last-minute polls drastically raised everyone's expectations. Before that everyone had been saying "as long as Bernie is top two and Biden isn't number one, Bernie did what he needed to do", then Bernie wins but not by as much as some hoped and a bunch of people sank into despair.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

Yes?

SkyLander
Dec 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZlMRlzGlE

The full speech from earlier.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

February 7th 2020 New Hampshire Debate Guide

Or

The Rise and Fall of Mayor Cheat

:siren:When/Where: 8PM Eastern on ABC and HULU :siren:

It’s Friday. The Iowa disaster was on Monday. It’s all anyone will talk about. Did Mayor Pete conspire with the DNC to rig an election? I don’t know. Here’s what we do know of Iowa: Warren ate poo poo, Biden ate poo poo, and Amy Klobachur ate poo poo. All of them are going to pivot away from the topic. However, both Bernie Sanders and Pete have already claimed victory, so it’s unavoidable.

Biden, Amy, and Warren can’t talk about the elephant in the room, so what do they do?

Joe Biden: Biden’s goal these last few debates is to remain coherent. He has largely coasted along name recognition, so all he’s had to do is avoid verbal stumbles and fumbles. This tactic has obviously not been working very well. The “don’t fuckup” plan makes him fade in with the houseplants, and no one is showing up to vote for that.

What does work is Biden on the attack. He may not be able to think well on his feet, but Biden can fire a prepared attack like the seasoned politician he is. It might be a folksy story, it might be the false claim that Bernie can’t pay m4a (again), who knows. My guess is that his target will probably be Pete if he does it at all, unless he fucks it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9JpY6TsYg

Oh Joe, just walk into the sunset.

Elizabeth Warren: If you want some insider baseball, there’s a long, in depth story about Warren and Bernie. But here’s the TLDR: They used to be buds, but then Warren accused Bernie of misogyny and lying on national television and then pulled a massive 180 because she is full of poo poo. Her twitter got plastered in snake emoticons.

Warren just lost Biden’s coattails because it’s obvious Biden is out of this race. However, Warren seems so fresh and new to so many people. She can’t attack Bernie again, that would be disastrous. So she is absolutely going to take a swing at Pete. She’s done it before and it worked, specifically she brought up the “wine cave” attack during the debate. (watch his hands as Warren responds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQswRLws4k

Here’s him getting shanked on Colbert for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgOraC4f2w&t=31s

Mayor Pete: If you’ve seen him in the debates he, has a tendency to dance in circles:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

"Mayor Pete, what do you think about X?

"Well, X is a very severe problem throughout our community. Many people from all walks of life, black, white, Latino, Jew, androids, multinational billionaire pedophile rapists, X is a concern for us all. And disproportionately, X hurts Y people the most. You know, I have a story to tell you, it's long and winding and sounds a lot like something Joe Biden would ramble 30 years ago. So X is such a really big issue, and I will fix X. Thank you."

He will never answer with actual solutions to any problems. He will describe the problem, declare that it requires a fix, and then never tell us how. It’s very similar to Trump. And like Trump, Pete is going to get jumped by every single person on that stage.

Bernie “the Brooklyn Bruiser” Sanders:

Bernie's in better shape than ever. So far, his strategy is to focus on policy and funding to the exclusion of all else. If someone else is an rear end in a top hat, let the other assholes drag him down with character attacks. Bernie does not get his hands dirty. This is what happens when you make character attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wS44qT-ekM

Julian Castro barely made it to next debate,and dropped out soon after. Making fun of an old man for forgetting things alienated older voters the same way Hillary’s Pokemon-go-to-the-polls alienated young voters.

Bernie is the master of the debate because he has the actual substance to back up his claims. In any debate, it is monumentally advantageous when your position is obviously correct and Bernie Sanders is always on the right side of policy. So that’s where he keeps the conversation: on the material conditions surrounding the debate. Healthcare, income inequality, wages, racism, when it comes to poo poo that actually matters to people, Bernie always comes out on top. That is where he will focus the discussion, on policy.

When Iowa comes up, he will certainly defend himself. He might get into a pissing fight with Pete over who won Iowa, but, again, Bernie Sanders easily won the most actual votes, so that’s where he’ll stand. Doing so will either force Pete to retreat from the topic or declare that it is the SDE’s or delegates that actually matter, and that stinks of electoral college nonsense.
Bernie has attacked Pete before, to wild success:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYyVF5ayuE

Amy Klobachur:

Step 1: I’m from the Midwest!
Step 2: ???????
Step 3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 8, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

It's Calibanibal.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Pick posted:

Because the party doesn’t want it. They want everyone to settle for “the sensible and electable moderate” rather than voting with their heart. If we had ranked choice voting there would not be any Joe Bidens because everyone is so terrified they’re just going to vote for the guy that “can win.”

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It seems good that Butt is doing better than Biden and Warren. Of the frontrunners, I would think Bernie could most trounce Butt in a head to head primary. Am I wrong here?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'd like to see them also controlled somehow for actual delegate count (Yang can only gain or lose so many SDEs lol) but that doesn't really ding the "sanders was disproportionately hurt, butt was disproportionately helped" takeaway

the county (?) distribution for Biden is weird but could easily be one specific data entry person making an internally consistent fuckup

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lame Devil posted:

It seems good that Butt is doing better than Biden and Warren. Of the frontrunners, I would think Bernie could most trounce Butt in a head to head primary. Am I wrong here?

I don't see why, once the race is out of Whiteytown USA its hard to see how Mayo Cheat isn't totally screwed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kill Bristol posted:

Disappointed but not surprised that Bernie/AOC's climate plan includes big subsidies to auto industry. I get the political logic behind it, he needs to win Michigan in both the primary and general. But the absolute last thing we should be doing right now in terms of reducing emissions is further subsidizing cars, yes including electric cars. That money would be better spent subsidizing dense walk-able housing development or investing in public transit.

Like I said, I get why he did it. He is a politician who needs to make political compromises to pass his agenda. It might even be the right call. Still sucks.

Michigan and some of South Canada would implode. Sacrificing millions for the greater good, I guess.

Part of the auto bailout was that it was necessary to save a state, which it kind of did.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Calibanibal posted:

Yes???

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I love the Bernman but holy moly the guy's plagued by audio issues.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I mean, at least Obama waited another 13 years to run for president. And had an actually interesting childhood.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Random =/= uniform

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only tragedy will be bernie not taking home 100% of nh's delegates, but buttigieg has no viability after nh anyway.

NH has so few delegates it literally doesn't matter if you get them all or not, the only thing that matters is winning. If Bernie can win he's set to crush Super Tuesday and the two big delegate hauls of California and Texas

If the polls can be believed, only Bernie and Pete are viable throughout the state so the winner will get the lion's share if not the majority of delegates up for grabs anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
They're gonna ask everyone else on stage who they think won Iowa and not a one of them is going to answer the question

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

I mean, at least Obama waited another 13 years to run for president. And had an actually interesting childhood.

True, feels like Butt is trying to speedrun the Obama path but with no charisma and absolutely nothing interesting about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've been arzying like crazy since this primary got started but I'm gonna take everyone's advice and take some breaks from this topic where possible.

I'm not an American citizen or resident, I'm just emotionally invested in having a world leader even the odds for the little people. I'm known among my co-workers to be a persuasive speaker with the chops to do sales. I have zero fear when it comes to canvassing or making calls. Were it possible for me I would be working for Bernie's campaign with every minute of free time available to me. I'd likely have hit my donation limit by now too.

My obsession with Bernie's candidacy comes from a desire to at least right some of the wrongs in the world and prove that we humans can build a more compassionate society in an era of dispassionate capitalism where we are alienated and our sense of self worth is determined by our earning power.

I believe that if you hosed up your life with bad financial decisions, you deserve a chance to make that right and get back on your feet.
I believe that people who have made mistakes are redeemable.
I believe that if you have been hurt, someone should be there to help you.
I believe that if you are poor, you deserve a way out of poverty and into a comfortable existence.
I believe that talentless bullies who owe their power and positions to nepotism and class advantages shouldn't hold power over those less fortunate than them.
I believe that whether or not you're black, muslim, gay, straight, white or trans that we should all be able to help each other, stand up for one another, listen to one another and be loyal to each other in the pursuit of our common well being.

I can go on but I'll basically re-state Bernie's platform plus whatever social democratic movement is the flavor of the month.

Anyway long story short these matters are incredibly important to me. The older I get the more I realize reality is a loving horror show. I feel like that guy in that movie who finds out Soylent Green is people.

I'm gonna make an effort not to chicken little the thread anymore. These primaries aren't over yet. People have won without Iowa and NH. There have been world events where we narrowly avoided Nuclear war because one or two individuals decided to do the right thing.
Lets place our confidence in Bernie and his talented campaign staff that they know what they're doing and that it aint over till its over. At the very least it helps the morale of the thread if we maintain a positive attitude rather than adding to the chorus of negativity.

Negativity about Bernie's campaign is not productive. It hurts you, and it hurts me and ultimately doesn't do anything to get him elected. So I'll do what I can from my end and talk to Americans I know, spread the message to anyone who will listen and fight the good fight. To you my American friends, I really hope you take this nomination, beat Trump in the general and make the world a better place. If you can't do that, at least try to do it in your city or state.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 8, 2020