Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

orange sky posted:

I really don't like the prose in This is how you lose the time war. I don't know what it is but it's just boring, even though the premise is exciting.

Enemy soldiers falling in love is a pretty tired plotline, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dead moon was kinda boring for the first 1/4th or so, but picks up into batshit crazy pretty fast and gets fairly fun.

<grabs gun, cocks it> Moon’s haunted.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

Ghosts of Gotham by Craig Schaefer - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZGXP13/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Childhood's End is such a bitter-sweet, beautiful book full of despair and hope.

Please read it if you haven't yet.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Proteus Jones posted:

Childhood's End is such a bitter-sweet, beautiful book full of despair and hope.

Please read it if you haven't yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting.

The Billion Dollar Boy by Charles Sheffield is a novella I picked up from my local library, and I enjoyed it. It's a simple story as the length suggests, a sci-fi coming of age adventure tale, but it worked for me. What I found most compelling was the setting, the Messina dust cloud where most of the book takes place is an unusual sci-fi setting that seems to draw heavily from 18th century fishing fleets, or perhaps far-flung trading ships of a century or two previous. And yet, I'm not sure I want to read more books in this setting if they exist, as I think this story covered the Messina cloud pretty well and I'm not sure how much more you could do with it without drastically changing things - the book's ending certainly could be a hook for a fully fledged novel, I'm not sure yet if I want to look. A short, enjoyable romp I read in a day and suitable for YA audiences.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is a sci-fi reskin of Captains Courageous, down to exact plot points, but is well done.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished Phillip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth yesterday. It was great! The last 4 books Pullman wrote were mostly from children's POVs, so it was interesting to see him handle more adult perspectives. His use of language didn't change, but the kinds of thoughts the characters can have about their world aged up with their experiences.

The world of His Dark Materials gets explored a lot more, this time only on Lyra's side of the multiverse. The story grapples with the meaning and importance of the fantastic, and Pullman uses a couple of philosopher characters whose works are influencing Lyra as an undergraduate as a way of criticizing the cold and selfish logic of certain virulent strains of thought (the Simon Talbot character seems partially based on Ayn Rand, and a Magisterium official even thinks to himself that such a philosophy is useful to them and that Talbot is a very useful idiot.) In the midst of the ideological concerns are lots of stabbings, brawls, and spycraft. The central plot is an unexpected horticultural discovery that connects to Dust. There's also a dynamic between Lyra and a male antagonist that's like a competent version of the Rey and Kylo relationship in Star Wars. Pullman showed he could finish a satisfying trilogy before, so I'm hoping the next and last book does justice to everything he's presented here.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm glad somebody enjoyed it, because I found it quite the opposite: bloated and sprawling and unimaginative and I was even falling asleep during some of it. It has its moments (the Prague chapter was genuinely good) but it mostly struck me, like its predecessor, as a book written by a famous author whom editors daren't challenge anymore. It was the bloat that really bugged me. 200 pages into Northern Lights and we're already well into the second act, Lyra meeting Iorek Byrnison for the first time; 200 pages into the Secret Commonwealth and we're still faffing about with tedious amateur spy crap in Oxford and there's another 450 pages to go but they no longer seem like something to anticipate.

I think my main complaint is that the world he presents no longer seems quite magical. It just feels like our own world, with furry friends. We gets hints of stuff, like the distant citadel in the desert, but the rest of it is a German writer working at his desk or a shoehorned refugees-in-the-Meditteranean moment or the dull politics of the Calvinist church (this was not interesting in the original trilogy and I don't know why he thought it would be interesting here).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I had the same feeling but at the same time, the world no longer appearing quite as magical is consistent with the protagonist no longer being... 12 or 13, I think she was in the first trilogy?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

The mood shift of jumping from The Gone World and Steel Frame to Becky Chambers's Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, nearly back to back to back, was quite unexpected but welcome. I like the charming enthusiasm as the crew of the ship is introduced in the first half and the gradually ratcheting up of tension and stakes in each new plot beat as things get under way. I'm nearly done and while I'd love to jump right into the rest of the series, I think I want to hold off and save it for when I need another literary pick-me-up. Cherryh's Pride of Chanur is next on my all-women reading list.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Peepers posted:

The mood shift of jumping from The Gone World and Steel Frame to Becky Chambers's Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, nearly back to back to back, was quite unexpected but welcome. I like the charming enthusiasm as the crew of the ship is introduced in the first half and the gradually ratcheting up of tension and stakes in each new plot beat as things get under way. I'm nearly done and while I'd love to jump right into the rest of the series, I think I want to hold off and save it for when I need another literary pick-me-up. Cherryh's Pride of Chanur is next on my all-women reading list.

Fair warning, Becky Chambers changes setting from one book to the next while everything still takes place in the same universe.

If you expect "the continued adventures of Rosemary and the crew of The Wayfarer" you'll be disappointed, but that is slightly misleading because there is still plenty of good stuff in the other books. They're just about different people.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

freebooter posted:

I'm glad somebody enjoyed it, because I found it quite the opposite: bloated and sprawling and unimaginative and I was even falling asleep during some of it. It has its moments (the Prague chapter was genuinely good) but it mostly struck me, like its predecessor, as a book written by a famous author whom editors daren't challenge anymore. It was the bloat that really bugged me. 200 pages into Northern Lights and we're already well into the second act, Lyra meeting Iorek Byrnison for the first time; 200 pages into the Secret Commonwealth and we're still faffing about with tedious amateur spy crap in Oxford and there's another 450 pages to go but they no longer seem like something to anticipate.

I think my main complaint is that the world he presents no longer seems quite magical. It just feels like our own world, with furry friends. We gets hints of stuff, like the distant citadel in the desert, but the rest of it is a German writer working at his desk or a shoehorned refugees-in-the-Meditteranean moment or the dull politics of the Calvinist church (this was not interesting in the original trilogy and I don't know why he thought it would be interesting here).

The refugees did feel shoehorned. Pacing-wise I really liked and it didn’t feel like it dwelled too long on any one scene to bore me.
The only thing I took a bit of issue with is how Lyra can be having the kind of doubts she was experiencing given what she saw throughout His Dark Materials. Like, she’s met witches and angels and harpies and dead souls. Believing in a dead universe because of the writings of some philosophers doesn’t seem like it would hold much weight against all that. But it connects with the point Pullman is trying to make about Dust, which has apparently become an aspect of his own belief system, that consciousness is a property of matter. So he needs to create this conflict so Lyra can come to that same realization in the third book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just found out the second book in the Cry Pilot series got released. It's called Burn Cycle.

I remember the first book was pretty well received by the thread, hadn't seen mention of this one yet.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Just found out the second book in the Cry Pilot series got released. It's called Burn Cycle.

I remember the first book was pretty well received by the thread, hadn't seen mention of this one yet.

I'm about 10% in it's a direct continuation. Nothing's happened yet after the big ending of the first.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The first book has an interesting premise, and then spends 85% of its time with the protagonist going through boot camp, like if the Starship Troopers film was exclusively the training segment.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need more space opera... good or bad?

I've read my way through everything Peter F Hamilton, Alistair Reynolds, Neal Asher, Iain M Banks, Beck Chambers, Peter Watts, James S.A. Corey etc have written, in the last year or two.

Any recommendations for other works with some scale and half-compelling characters? Perhaps a few truly alien species?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BurgerQuest posted:

I've read my way through everything Peter F Hamilton, Alistair Reynolds, Neal Asher, Iain M Banks, Beck Chambers, Peter Watts, James S.A. Corey etc have written, in the last year or two.

Any recommendations for other works with some scale and half-compelling characters? Perhaps a few truly alien species?

Dennis Taylor's "Bobiverse" books are fun distractions if you don't care about the premise being a lot more serious than the execution.

The series is basically "What if Von Neumann Probe, but with a (smartass) human intelligence driving it?"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Dennis Taylor's "Bobiverse" books are fun distractions if you don't care about the premise being a lot more serious than the execution.

The series is basically "What if Von Neumann Probe, but with a (smartass) human intelligence driving it?"

I just finished the first Bobiverse book. It's a decent read. Parts of it feel a little "copy/pasted" in places, but it's an interesting read. Do the other books develop any more, or is it just more of the same?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BurgerQuest posted:

Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit is rad.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

XBenedict posted:

I just finished the first Bobiverse book. It's a decent read. Parts of it feel a little "copy/pasted" in places, but it's an interesting read. Do the other books develop any more, or is it just more of the same?

There are alien races and an existential threat later, and the Bob society matures a little with a lot of technology development later.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

Do you like humor in your space opera? If not, avoid Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers like poison.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

BurgerQuest posted:

Vernor Vinge and David Brin are the other Hugo-winning go-tos. Cherryh and Bujold don't do aliens in their space opera settings, I believe.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FPyat posted:

Vernor Vinge and David Brin are the other Hugo-winning go-tos. Cherryh and Bujold don't do aliens in their space opera settings, I believe.

Sounds like you haven't read the Chanur books or Serpent's Reach. Cherryh does a lot of aliens, just not in the main A-U books.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BurgerQuest posted:

A Fire Upon the Deep is an all time space opera favorite of mine. Has some cool and interesting aliens in it. Also a map of the Milky Way galaxy at the front of the book which makes it even cooler imo.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurgerQuest posted:

Donaldson's Gap series?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Donaldson's Gap series?

Seconding this, although it makes the others seem like happy fun time stories.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Donaldson's Gap series?

Can’t just recommend this without a seeeeerious warning for rape and sexual abuse in this one. I think it’s still worth reading but that’s a big up front caveat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you don't mind books that probably wouldn't even sell at airports, take a crack at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Undying-Mercenaries-10-Book/dp/B07J4SPM3D

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Force-12-Book/dp/B01A0UMJP8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749RCMS5

Kalman posted:

Can’t just recommend this without a seeeeerious warning for rape and sexual abuse in this one. I think it’s still worth reading but that’s a big up front caveat.

That's an amazing post/avatar combo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

Yeah, I'd honestly feel iffy recommending any Donaldson.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I'd honestly feel iffy recommending any Donaldson.

Okay, sure, Thomas Covenant has rape in the first book, and the Gap series has rape in the first book, but the Mordant’s Need books just have coercion, manipulation, and lack of consent. poo poo, and off-screen rape in the sequel. Never mind.

I do actually quite like the Mordant’s Need books, but they’re really rape-adjacent.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Sounds like you haven't read the Chanur books or Serpent's Reach. Cherryh does a lot of aliens, just not in the main A-U books.

There's aliens in Serpent's Reach, and space travel in Serpent's Reach, but almost all of the combination between them is planetside. "40000 n Gehenna" is also AU with lots of aliens, and "Downbelow Station" and "Finity's End" are at least alien-adjacent.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Velius posted:

Okay, sure, Thomas Covenant has rape in the first book, and the Gap series has rape in the first book, but the Mordant’s Need books just have coercion, manipulation, and lack of consent. poo poo, and off-screen rape in the sequel. Never mind.

I do actually quite like the Mordant’s Need books, but they’re really rape-adjacent.

From Wikipedia:
The books deal with themes of reality, power, inaction and love in the context of a fantasy adventure. This series is much lighter in tone than Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever or The Gap Cycle.

Damning with faint praise?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

XBenedict posted:

I liked the first book and thought it had lots of potential to explore and expand on concepts but the other books... didn't do that, really. They're enjoyable enough but in terms of big sci fi concepts I didn't think it made any particular progress. I don't think I actually finished the third so stuff might change in the last few acts maybe but it all ended up feeling very surface level to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of which, I read and liked Alliance Rising. It has some traces of the outline-itis you get when a big name writer and a relative newcomer collaborate on a book, but not as bad as some I've read. This book covers the founding of the Merchanter's Alliance and the last gasp of Earth Corp to maintain power before the FTL route to Sol is opened up. Good plot, solid characters.

Donaldson's Gap series?

Which is both literally and figuratively space opera; the genesis of the series was the character name "Angus Thermopyle" and "The Ring Cycle" by Wagner. They're outstanding books, easily his best, most polished works, but do not stint on the content warnings.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Of course it's Apparatchik Magnet blindly recommending Donaldson's Gap series to people. Of course.

Anyway, dipped into the Rivers of London series last month(read the first 4 books). Didn't hate the books, don't blindly love them either. The "UK Wizard Cops" premise kind of aged badly, given all thats gone down in the UK since the series started.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whoa awesome, almost all recommendations I've never heard of, thank you! Checking them all out now :)

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

BurgerQuest posted:

Whoa awesome, almost all recommendations I've never heard of, thank you! Checking them all out now :)

Also A MEMORY CALLED EMPIRE by Arkady Martine if you want some poetry in your space opera.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you do want some space humor, the Space Team series by Barry Hutchison is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurgerQuest posted:

Oh, Empress of Forever by Gladstone is definitely a one book space opera. No weird aliens per se, but alien adjacent creatures, entities, and weird far future cultures.