Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do demisexuals above the age of 17 actually exist? I don't think there's much to be gained from making GBS threads on teenagers trying to navigate the hellscape that is puberty in the online era, even if they commit the crime of trying to figure themselves out without first internalizing the appropriate amount of queer theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Do demisexuals above the age of 17 actually exist?

they do.

i think you gotta be part of communities where casual and possibly group sex is common enough that not being into them comes up often enough in conversation that you need a word for it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Lmao I always wondered what an even dumber and less lucrative version of the fake Rolex trick would look like

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My perspective partially comes from identifying as asexual for several years before I was in a mental place to admit I'm a lesbian and that's fine, because I had correctly identified I had 0 interest in dudes and all my 'crushes' had been manufactured to fit in, but I missed the part where I was actually crushing on the girl with great hair who made me laugh. Being on an SSRI from teenhood didn't make that easier to pin down.

Sometimes the people you think are 'faking it' are still in their eggshell. Sometimes they're experiencing exactly what they say, and that's valid too. Sometimes they're actually cishet and will figure this out but it's not a bad idea for them to examine their identity from a non-heteronormative perspective. The same applies to people with non-binary identities you might find silly or absurd. Just let it go, or explain to them where they're actually being offensive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Profile: Times columnist

Top tweet: calling Bernie sanders supporters “not nice” and whining about decorum

Diagnosis: terminal ants in the brain

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Furthermore, speaking as a diagnosed autistic, I don't appreciate gatekeeping around ASD. I'm okay with some "assholes" who "don't deserve" sympathy getting it anyway if it means I get a culture where people accept and accommodate neurodivergence.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
And yet all of you mock the guy who wants to include Incels into LGBTQ+.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Master Twig posted:

And yet all of you mock the guy who wants to include Incels into LGBTQ+.

If you're going to make this point you might as well include rapists and mass murderers, but then you'd look homophobic af

Vvvv: ah apologies, my sarcasm meter is busted

Guilty has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Guilty posted:

If you're going to make this point you might as well include rapists and mass murderers, but then you'd look homophobic af

I was making a joke, not a point. Though I bet if you dig deep enough you could find someone talking about non-consent-sexuals as an identiy. Because the internet is awful.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Doc Hawkins posted:

they do.

i think you gotta be part of communities where casual and possibly group sex is common enough that not being into them comes up often enough in conversation that you need a word for it.

Or just uncritically consume enough media that you think the the depiction of romantic interactions on TV and in movies is reflective of reality.

Ultimately gatekeeping is more often than not a terrible thing, but with regards to a spectrum as diverse as human sexuality there's never going to be universal agreement.

The systematic oppression that gay, lesbian, bi and trans people have experienced over centuries more than qualifies them for a place in the pride parade, but my experience with talking to them about it shows marked disagreement as to whether the furry float has a place. Do we draw the line at asexuals? Demisexuals? Daddies and littles? (Actually, yeah, I'm gonna unequivocally draw the line at that last one and if that makes me a bigot then gently caress it.)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Master Twig posted:

I was making a joke, not a point. Though I bet if you dig deep enough you could find someone talking about non-consent-sexuals as an identiy. Because the internet is awful.

Iirc an excellent alternative to LGBTQ+ (and simply continuing to add additional letters to the acronym) would have been "gender and sexually diverse", except a bunch of loving pedophiles adopted it first to try to get included under the queer umbrella, much like they're trying now with "minor-attracted person".

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I wrote this thinking the days I was describing were over. I guess I was wrong.

The world will never be free of people who are not part of a group telling that group how it really is. I had a big post I began to write, but talking about things pertaining to myself and my own personal feelings is, of course, the worst kind of flagrant attention seeking and I'm anxious about how people might react and regretting bringing the matter up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Breetai posted:

Iirc an excellent alternative to LGBTQ+ (and simply continuing to add additional letters to the acronym) would have been "gender and sexually diverse", except a bunch of loving pedophiles adopted it first to try to get included under the queer umbrella, much like they're trying now with "minor-attracted person".

So we need a name for "everybody but cishets and pedophiles"? EBCAP is pretty snappy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Master Twig posted:

The internet is awful, and in my experience as a cis-het guy who's only friends were in the queer community in a fairly small town, the community is super accepting and really don't care what you identify as, as long as you're not a bigot.

People just like getting pissed at other people on the Internet, it toxifies everything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AdamMilstein/status/1225909603373731840

Me, a fighter against antisemitism: All lefty Jewish Maxes are the same.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A stranger asking you to get into their car sets of huge fuckin sirens in my head. I mean it won't be the same for a man, but still, yikes. I've had numerous dudes ask me to get in their cars over the years, followed across parking lots, waiting outside stores they see me go into. There's no way I'll get within grabbing distance of someone if they're in their car. It was only a few months ago all of the above happened, he asked me to reach into his car to shake his hand after he waited for me outside a store then followed me across the parking lot. I went into a different store and called my husband for a ride home even though I was only a 10 minute walk away because I didn't want to be followed home.

So yeah, my suggestion is just don't do it no matter their story.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1225917939427237889?s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/aetiusrf/status/1225491464601395205?s=21

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that person is indeed an idiot if they're claiming that those images are representative of what a 5'3" 170lb person looks like, but those figures do qualify one as obese.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sagebrush posted:

that person is indeed an idiot if they're claiming that those images are representative of what a 5'3" 170lb person looks like, but those figures do qualify one as obese.

“obesity” is a medical term, and people with a 30.1 BMI don’t look like the super morbidly obese cartoons on the right, which appear to depict people with BMIs of 90 or higher.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1225967365415817217?s=21

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

LordSaturn posted:

demisexuals are a symptom of heteronormative patriarchy. if you've ever actually been to a protest, you'll know that the willingness to stand next to you and hold up a banner and shout in unison is the important part

I'd argue that the important part is who is still around when the fascists start breaking heads and the regime starts to press down on all minorities.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

What's the average time between being called out like this and locking your account do you think? Minutes?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
so this explains his absence from this thread

https://twitter.com/SpinCircleDance/status/1226053299058675713?s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Benzo's are just a method of teleporting you from Canada to a hospital in Moscow for months.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

An elementary school showed the Lion King and got fined $250 by a Disney licensing company. Disney smelling the bad PR went out and apologized and promised to donate to the schools fundraiser.

https://twitter.com/Cyberstarman/status/1225449637525344256?s=20

Comment section is mostly having none of it. With a sprinkling of libertarian bootlickers.

Katt has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Feb 8, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Lmao I always wondered what an even dumber and less lucrative version of the fake Rolex trick would look like

Am I missing something or was the "scam" literally someone saying "Please give me some money. No, more than that"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sunswipe posted:

Am I missing something or was the "scam" literally someone saying "Please give me some money. No, more than that"?
It sounds like they gave him something (a jacket) as a "gift" and then after he'd taken it they asked for payment. The more common form of the scam is an apparent religious practitioner handing out "free" books explaining their religion and then, after you've taken it, suggesting that you donate some amount of money in exchange. It's usually a smaller amount though (eg. :10bux:). Managing to get £100 is pretty impressive, especially since they didn't have even a remotely plausible cover story.

Read bottom to top because David Aaronovitch doesn't know how to use Twitter properly and made it difficult to follow.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Forgive my ignorance, but there has been a little talk about demisexuals here.

What is the difference between demisexual and sapiosexual? I know one is "I only want to gently caress people I like, not just everyone", and the other is "I only want to gently caress people I have gotten to know, rather than just randoms." Or some such silliness.

1) why make the distinction between the two "sexualities"? and 2) Do these people think that "normal" people are just gagging to gently caress everyone around them all the time no matter whether they be ugly strangers or pretty intimates? And do they think they are special/better because they only want to gently caress the people they want to gently caress?

Everybody, straight, gay, bi, pan, and even the occasional asexual wants to gently caress only the people they want to gently caress and they don't want to gently caress the people they don't want to gently caress. It's not rocket science.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrigadierSensible posted:

What is the difference between demisexual and sapiosexual?

"Sapiosexual" supposedly means "I'm attracted to people's minds, not their bodies" but actually means "I'm an insufferable dickhead who is 100% straight but I like to think that I could be bisexual if I wanted to be."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

What is the difference between demisexual and sapiosexual? I know one is "I only want to gently caress people I like, not just everyone", and the other is "I only want to gently caress people I have gotten to know, rather than just randoms." Or some such silliness.

1) why make the distinction between the two "sexualities"? and 2) Do these people think that "normal" people are just gagging to gently caress everyone around them all the time no matter whether they be ugly strangers or pretty intimates? And do they think they are special/better because they only want to gently caress the people they want to gently caress?

Everybody, straight, gay, bi, pan, and even the occasional asexual wants to gently caress only the people they want to gently caress and they don't want to gently caress the people they don't want to gently caress. It's not rocket science.

Demisexual is 'I'm only attracted to people after I've formed an emotional connection with them'. Sapiosexual is 'I'm only attracted to smart people'.

One of those two is just dressing normal human behavior up as a sexuality. The other kinda just an excuse to be a jerk.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They want to feel superior to you OP

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Sunswipe posted:

I assume you’re familiar with the Rolex scam, if not it’s pretty easy to google, but it’s kinda the same bc you’re essentially trying to convince the person you’re in a jam and would be willing to take a bad deal to be able to get out of it. It’s significantly worse bc not only is a jacket larger and easier to examine in a spot, but you’re relying on people’s inherent desire to reciprocate when given something which is loving insane

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, I hadn't read most of that because Twitter loving sucks and Aaronovitch is an idiot. That really is a "scam" that would only catch the dumbest motherfuckers.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think I ran into that scam in Finland. An old lady was going door to door selling lottery tickets for 3 Euros. I bought 3 and won a pair of dishwashing gloves.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Katt posted:

I think I ran into that scam in Finland. An old lady was going door to door selling lottery tickets for 3 Euros. I bought 3 and won a pair of dishwashing gloves.

That doesn't sound like a scam, just a transaction. Someone offered you a thing for money, you partook, and you won a prize that you'll get use out of. Sounds like she made clear the price ahead of time unless she implied they were free before demanding payment?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

1) Because the less people fit into your definition of a minority, the more special you are, I guess?

2) Probably yes to the first, definite yes to the second.

I guess the difference between monogamous cishet people and demisexuals is the amount of people they're attracted to? I mean, I can count the number of people I've been attracted to on one hand, which is clearly not the way most people work. I still wouldn't consider that a sexual orientation on par with homosexuality or asexuality.

If you really want to see how far the rabbithole goes, I think there's a sexual orientation for people who are only attracted to people that aren't attracted to them.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Katt posted:

As Bioenchanted said, that's no scam! You just took part in a really crap lottery. I think it's kinda cute :3 good work old Finnish lady.

Hope they were good gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Cloacamazing! posted:

If you really want to see how far the rabbithole goes, I think there's a sexual orientation for people who are only attracted to people that aren't attracted to them.

And no doubt that has half a dozen subdivisions as well, each with their own symbol and flag.