Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
BSG would have been massively improved if it ended with someone saying take it sleazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

christmas boots posted:

BSG would have been massively improved if it ended with someone saying take it sleazy

Absolute truth

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder what the characters learned about the greater meanings of the universe.

We know that Gen appeared early on, but it was conspicuous that none of the characters in the show ever discussed or asked about great questions apart from the explanation in the very first episode.

It was definitely avoided intentionally, because the point of the show was about the characters growth, not what should be the one true religion. Even so it's impossible that in all their time they didn't ask about questions like where the Universe came from, if there is a God above it all and so on. That said I've been thinking about it and haven't been able to think of a way they could have brought it up without breaking the show, the closest I can imagine is something like the Simpsons "The meaning of life is..." ending and even that would have been cheesy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Petition for a 1:1 remake of nuBSG except with Ted Danson playing Baltar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pseudosavior posted:

It's fuckin Battlestar Galactica:lost: all over again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

christmas boots posted:

Are there *any* shows that wouldn't be improved with that as their last line?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

silvergoose posted:

Sesame Street

No, wait. That would rule.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Turns out it works for everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

silvergoose posted:

Casablanca. Well, not by having it as the *last* line anyway.

"Take it sleazy, kid."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Khanstant posted:

That's a super boring question that you basically figure out in middle school the first time they teach human development, and possibly just by reading that question for the first time ever.

Have you really never heard anyone who believes any version of "bad people do bad things?" Because they are very real

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

pile of brown posted:

Have you really never heard anyone who believes any version of "bad people do bad things?" Because they are very real

That ended up the show's thesis, but since it was just a shallow story they introduce it partway through and end with it, all as a given fact rather than putting forth any sort of argument. The main character is ultimately vindicated as not a bad person because it turned out they didn't actually do bad things.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Eleanor definitely did bad things when she was alive, and they never say it was okay.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Sitcoms then: The ending sucked, it was a glorified clip show.

Sitcoms now: The ending sucked, it didn't present a flawless representation of a universally perfect afterlife.

Anyone who doesn't think this afterlife was perfect just needs to go through the system. They'll chill out after X bearimys.

pile of brown posted:

Yeah, I've heard of that but it's just wrong so idk what to do with it. Nature/Nurture is a baby question, the actual answers are entertainingly complicated but it always boils down to it not being an either/or thing to begin with. Environment informs genetics, genetics inform the environment, and realistically, your gut bacteria likely play an equal role to the other things as well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The X-man cometh posted:

Eleanor definitely did bad things when she was alive, and they never say it was okay.

This show feels like it was not interested in talking about the sins of murderers or rapists and confined it's story to discussing the everyday morals of bad and good for minor interpersonal transgressions. Like some other more serious drama with a similar premise couldn't write a work on if a brutal rapist can get into heaven, but this was more a show about banal everyday mistreatment of others more than that.

Like eleanor rarely did anything truly bad, and her worst claims seem like throw away jokes more than anything the show dwelled on, if compared to anyone in real life that is actually actually bad, but within the scope of what the show was dealing with she was a huge dick.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

She even said that in the first episode.

"It's not like I killed anyone, I'm just a medium person, I should get to go to a medium place"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This show feels like it was not interested in talking about the sins of murderers or rapists and confined it's story to discussing the everyday morals of bad and good for minor interpersonal transgressions. Like some other more serious drama with a similar premise couldn't write a work on if a brutal rapist can get into heaven, but this was more a show about banal everyday mistreatment of others more than that.

Like eleanor rarely did anything truly bad, and her worst claims seem like throw away jokes more than anything the show dwelled on, if compared to anyone in real life that is actually actually bad, but within the scope of what the show was dealing with she was a huge dick.

Sure but Chidi drank that almond milk even though he knew about the environmental impact, that's pretty monstrous

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

silvergoose posted:

"It's not like I killed anyone, I'm just a medium person, I should get to go to a medium place"

Yeah, she is initially the worst person imaginable but like, only within the scope of what this show is dealing with.

Like this is a show for talking about theories of morals for like, vaping in a movie theater, it's not gonna have a character that shows up for having put out lit cigarettes on their infant daughter's genitals or something actually horrifying and vile like that. Eleanor is the worst, but like, the worst in terms of the sort of things this show is gonna deal with. It's not gonna get heavy about things. She rarely is shown even doing things that are even illegal, the sort of crimes she is doing is just rudeness or indifference. Like it's gonna stick to keeping everything a little light and lighthearted, so everyone bad is really just kinda over the top annoying or rude instead of horrid.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She rarely is shown even doing things that are even illegal

Jason, on the other hand...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know it's just a TV show, but it amuses me that these people only lived on earth for like 30 years, yet been in the Good Place for however many Jeremy Bearimy's and are still focused on those 30 years in any way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

silvergoose posted:

I dunno, she probably killed lots of people with those fake drugs for old people scams

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Azhais posted:

I dunno, she probably killed lots of people with those fake drugs for old people scams

And chidi with the almond milk causing droughts, yes.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The X-man cometh posted:

Jason, on the other hand...

Oh! The other hand! Like when my bud and me gave each other the Jacksonville Stranger in Stupid Nicks parking lot!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, she is initially the worst person imaginable but like, only within the scope of what this show is dealing with.

Brent is worse

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OATWExnyeCw

William Jackson Harper (Chidi) raps about Kierkegaard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But podcast listeners will know that Chico’s theme song is superior.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sub Rosa posted:

Brent is worse

I love the joke about how long he has been going through his test to get into the Good Place and the dude just doens't get it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I love the joke about how long he has been going through his test to get into the Good Place and the dude just doens't get it

give it a few thousand Bearimys. he might figure out the sexism part. then we can get to the racism for a few million Bearimys

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
They should have ended with Brent being the last human to go through the door, finally making to The Good Place and being fulfilled (after shooting 1 under par at some rando golf course) ... 5 Bearimys after the heat death of the universe.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So at what point do they stop the tests and just say "gently caress it, this guy's a lost cause" and just torture them forever?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

jumba posted:

They should have ended with Brent being the last human to go through the door, finally making to The Good Place and being fulfilled (after shooting 1 under par at some rando golf course) ... 5 Bearimys after the heat death of the universe.

Bearimies are the entirety of time and cyclical, so every Bearimy encompasses the heat death of the universe. They're long!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I would argue that no action on earth, even the worst of the worst, deserves eternal damnation.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So at what point do they stop the tests and just say "gently caress it, this guy's a lost cause" and just torture them forever?

Testing them forever is torturing them forever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Well, I imagine that's what the Good Place people are for. The problem with demons is that they're impatient and the urge to go "c'mon, we can tweak their memories a little to make this easier. Please?" can be countered with how annoyingly forgiving the GP people would be.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget that the I in 'Jeremy Bearimy' is like the whole month of February. Or is it the other way around?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vietnamwees posted:

Don't forget that the I in 'Jeremy Bearimy' is like the whole month of February. Or is it the other way around?

It's Tuesday.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
And sometimes never.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

swickles posted:

And sometimes never.

You get it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

give it a few thousand Bearimys. he might figure out the sexism part. then we can get to the racism for a few million Bearimys

As long as it takes. he’ll get there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Astro7x posted:

I know it's just a TV show, but it amuses me that these people only lived on earth for like 30 years, yet been in the Good Place for however many Jeremy Bearimy's and are still focused on those 30 years in any way.

Apparently these aren't the sorts of questions the show wants to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Astro7x posted:

Sometimes Michael does do a little snappy-snappy, as a treat for himself.