Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of hard starts, I have tried several VH/H Karak Kadrin starts and I cannot take out Red Eye before my home province revolts. I can barely afford a full stack of mostly Miners and even destroying the Slayer Shrine building to replace it with growth or money just doesnt cut it. One time I tried recruiting more Slayers, another building the ranged unit building, but no army comp that I have tried has allowed me to plow through enough Orcs to take their province before mine revolts, and going back to protect the city of Karak Kadrin means you lose Gnashraks Liar.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I think I'll be fine if I can take out Red Eye but just have not had the moxy. My fights all go well, btw, I murder Orcs real good, but it just has not been enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea but the wight doesn't hold a candle to the 800~ weapon strength ghoul who just casually removes spines

I have yet to use a vampire in an actual army tho

Vampire Fleet Captains belong in Vampire Coast armies where your Lord isn't a caster. One Fleet Captain belongs sailing the seven seas setting up coves.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How are you building Isabella's girl posse? Make them all Wind of Death casting nukes or melee fighters?

Melee fighters of course. Hellsteeds and The Hunger are a great combination. And you only really need one caster in an army - the rest of them are a flying goon squad.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Decided to just embrace the hell out of mods and go ham. Playing SFO with mixu lords and special rors. Taurox the brass bull is a super fun ll

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My disaster campaign completely turned around when Orion made peace with me out of nowhere then randomly decided to declare war on the empire bretonnian dwarven murder train that was streaming down to me

And then because we had so many enemies in common we were friends.

Skaven / wood elf bffs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hate the lizardmen so much, I go months without playing them and they're a bitch to fight on the map, and then I do a Kroq Gar campaign where its a stack of him and 4-5 scar veterans on carnosaurs and I remember that actually they're pretty rad.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Multiple casters can be good for arcane conduit spammimg, but combat vampires are too good to pass up. Plus necromancers are better use of winds. I DO like at least having upgraded life leech for long-range character sniping though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love it when my my Combat Vampires also have Arcane Conduit.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Decided to play around with the settings in the unnatural selection 2 mods when starting my Norsca campaign I sent a screenshot of earlier and uuh, its turn 70 and Morathi is number 1 strenght rank after curbstomping all of Ulthuan and a large part of Naggaroth :stare:.Luckily my constant murder of filthy peasants have softened her blackened heart and we are friends, for now at least!

This combined with Grimgor stomping out the Dwarf faction(Literally, they are completly gone) and being number 2 in ranking and number 1 in settlements seems to change things up a bit, though I kinda wish I was a good faction for once :v:

If you are tired of Empire/Brettonia domination, give it a try!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I have a (playing SFO) Grandmaster leading an army, and I thought it would be cool to specialize him into being a Knights of Morr leader. But, erh.. Anyone know which building gives special knights in the mod? or which Submod I need to install?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

neonchameleon posted:

Vampire Fleet Captains belong in Vampire Coast armies where your Lord isn't a caster. One Fleet Captain belongs sailing the seven seas setting up coves.

incorrect, because the cooldown is for individual heroes (though it costs extra for the faction as a whole)

five vampires running around means five costs every turn. Although four of them cost like 9k to put down.

coast the world, coast to coast

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Speaking of hard starts, I have tried several VH/H Karak Kadrin starts and I cannot take out Red Eye before my home province revolts. I can barely afford a full stack of mostly Miners and even destroying the Slayer Shrine building to replace it with growth or money just doesnt cut it. One time I tried recruiting more Slayers, another building the ranged unit building, but no army comp that I have tried has allowed me to plow through enough Orcs to take their province before mine revolts, and going back to protect the city of Karak Kadrin means you lose Gnashraks Liar.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips? I think I'll be fine if I can take out Red Eye but just have not had the moxy. My fights all go well, btw, I murder Orcs real good, but it just has not been enough.

This is the strat I use for SFO Kadrin: build the siege workshop first and get 4 Grudge Throwers and more Slayers, disband everything except Slayers and Grudge Throwers so you can afford them. Keep pushing forward; you receive a massive replenish bonus to Slayers so you can get them up and running again quickly as long as you don't use the unit. Slayers are loving murderous and will never run; once melee closes the enemy should be torn to shreds by your artillery, and your Slayers will rout them quickly. Don't be afraid to corner camp and siege cheese the final Red Eye settlement in the north.

Nuclear War posted:

So I have a (playing SFO) Grandmaster leading an army, and I thought it would be cool to specialize him into being a Knights of Morr leader. But, erh.. Anyone know which building gives special knights in the mod? or which Submod I need to install?

This is a thing I brought it up in their discord but a lot of the new knights are usually Empire provincial units, and in your case the Knights of Morr need you to have Sylvania completely conquered, which is going to take some time. You also can only recruit them every 15 turns after uniting the province, so making a decently-sized contingent of Morr knights will take a looooong while.

I told them that maybe the Grandmaster should give buffs to ordinary Empire Knights that turns them into a weaker version of their chosen Order, to represent initiates into the Order or whatever, so that you can have that Knightly Order flavor without having to mess about with the replenishment speed of the provincial units. Letting people recruit provincial units faster, IIRC, necessitates a startpos change, which is incompatible with other startpos mods and therefore something the SFO team is trying to avoid.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nuclear War posted:

You'll want the Knights of the Empire mod, probably the light version, and SFO has a special submod for them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

Anyone have any tips for cult of sotek? Starting the campaign without access to Saurus makes me completely baffled

ME or Vortex? Battle stuff - you need decent micro to skirmish with javelin units. I usually use 5-6 for that then a bunch of regular skinks as a tarpit. Then hit them from the flanks with red crested skinks. Use the starting units to reinforce your line or double them up on T2+ units. Bait with a smaller army, the campaign AI is dumb.

But to be honest it's not a super fun campaign even when you're winning and skinks are mediocre even with red line buffs. If you want a hard, fun campaign try Clan Angrund or something.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if 3 will go full end times, or have another campaign focused on the Darklands. I wouldn't mind the latter, but part of me wants to have Sigmar fight Nagash, because I'm a child at heart. I know every ending hints at demons and Nagash, but not much about say, Sigmar or Lileath.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Christ Craventail is immortal, Kohtep campaign and allied with him early on to take out the northern dark elves, then decided I didn't like that he had a bunch of settlements randomly throughout my territory as we have always been tenuous allies... So I backstabbed him before he could backstab me and we've been locked in a brutal struggle since that has no front at all.

Anytime I have to fight him I can only win by killing off his entire army at this point because my guys literally can't damage him, sandscorpions etc do jack all. I only just got a necrosphinx and I have him on the ropes at this point but holy poo poo. I've pilled half my army and all my archers focusing him and not a dent lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A Lord fight he own pet faction, a shameful Lord.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Especially because he's Tretch Craventail I'm now going to entertain the idea that he actually is immortal due to some Chaos macguffin, but due to his natural skaven cowardice, he'll never know because he just constantly avoids all potentially dangerous situations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I like to imagine Sniktch has attempted to assassinate Tretch multiple times, with multiple failures :v:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

Christ Craventail is immortal, Kohtep campaign and allied with him early on to take out the northern dark elves, then decided I didn't like that he had a bunch of settlements randomly throughout my territory as we have always been tenuous allies... So I backstabbed him before he could backstab me and we've been locked in a brutal struggle since that has no front at all.

Anytime I have to fight him I can only win by killing off his entire army at this point because my guys literally can't damage him, sandscorpions etc do jack all. I only just got a necrosphinx and I have him on the ropes at this point but holy poo poo. I've pilled half my army and all my archers focusing him and not a dent lol

With the right skills/equipment hes got 100MD, 33% damage resist on his helmet, Regeneration and a decent amount of armour. He and Queek are loving annoying to take down. Although I think Ikit takes the cake for annoying Skaven lords with his bullshit lightning spam regen and doomwheel.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Foot lords get bowled over a lot, and as such get immunity frames.
Large lords have a tendency to lose hard to anti large and focus fire too, while foot lords are very small

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how many vampires is too many? I've already got six rocking in my Isabella army and they might be overkill.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

toasterwarrior posted:

This is the strat I use for SFO Kadrin: build the siege workshop first and get 4 Grudge Throwers and more Slayers, disband everything except Slayers and Grudge Throwers so you can afford them. Keep pushing forward; you receive a massive replenish bonus to Slayers so you can get them up and running again quickly as long as you don't use the unit. Slayers are loving murderous and will never run; once melee closes the enemy should be torn to shreds by your artillery, and your Slayers will rout them quickly. Don't be afraid to corner camp and siege cheese the final Red Eye settlement in the north.

This is a thing I brought it up in their discord but a lot of the new knights are usually Empire provincial units, and in your case the Knights of Morr need you to have Sylvania completely conquered, which is going to take some time. You also can only recruit them every 15 turns after uniting the province, so making a decently-sized contingent of Morr knights will take a looooong while.

I told them that maybe the Grandmaster should give buffs to ordinary Empire Knights that turns them into a weaker version of their chosen Order, to represent initiates into the Order or whatever, so that you can have that Knightly Order flavor without having to mess about with the replenishment speed of the provincial units. Letting people recruit provincial units faster, IIRC, necessitates a startpos change, which is incompatible with other startpos mods and therefore something the SFO team is trying to avoid.

Oh, gently caress, well I wasted a bunch of points on him then. There's no way I'm getting to Sylvania in the near future, I'm already fighting desperatly to hold the fortified passes against zombified Bretonnia. Had one fort kill more than 8k zombies TWICE in one round, and still fall. It's not going great for the empire

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Oh, gently caress, well I wasted a bunch of points on him then. There's no way I'm getting to Sylvania in the near future, I'm already fighting desperatly to hold the fortified passes against zombified Bretonnia. Had one fort kill more than 8k zombies TWICE in one round, and still fall. It's not going great for the empire

Grab that lord respec mod on the Workshop and you can spec him for another order. Reiksguard is very easy to recruit as Franz or Volkmar, and you can get even more armor and a nice upkeep reduction for them with the Grandmaster.

Name him Kurt Helborg too, for good measure!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wish that those unique province units were based on Reiksguard or KotBS stats instead of Empire Knights because as is I think I'll rarely recruit them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

Ahh I had not tried going artillery and leaning into the Slayer bonus harder. In vanilla Ungrim only gives them a 25% discount so they're still super expensive, but with the +10 MA he gives them they are super killy, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there ever any reason to give a vampire a barded Nightmare over a Hellsteed? The latter flies, is way faster and you're still rocking a minimum of 90 armor. The only thing I can see is less health and less mass, but since you want your vampires to home in on a target and blow the poo poo out of it that doesn't seem like much of a downside.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In multiplayer if you put them on a flying mount against another faction that brings a strong flying component they could be in for a lot of trouble. Since the only way to land is to be fighting an enemy unit your choices become fly away from the enemy air force chasing you or land and fight (then have the enemy air force blast you once your on the ground). Generally this is because vampires don't bring a lot of supporting air units, so a vampire on a flying hellsteed will usually be outnumbered in the sky.

In single player I can't really think of a reason. I mean technically the same situation as above is possible, but with the AI at the controls its easier to abuse/avoid the air goon squad.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Did the thing where i cannibalized manny, definitely an improvement. :thanks: thread

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One thing that massively helps a Karak Kadrin campaign is the GCCM map packs because Karak Kadrin's map is a a giant loving bridge that all the ground units get funneled into and the slope of the bridge makes it easy to position handgunners and artillery effectively.

You just have to be careful if a Vampire Count stack attacks you, as Vargeists can fly over the chasm directly to your town center. It is pretty fun to put all your organ guns and stuff back there and open up on them like all the AAA fire during the Baghdad airstrikes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

One thing that massively helps a Karak Kadrin campaign is the GCCM map packs because Karak Kadrin's map is a a giant loving bridge that all the ground units get funneled into and the slope of the bridge makes it easy to position handgunners and artillery effectively.

You just have to be careful if a Vampire Count stack attacks you, as Vargeists can fly over the chasm directly to your town center. It is pretty fun to put all your organ guns and stuff back there and open up on them like all the AAA fire during the Baghdad airstrikes.

something like this is needed for vh/legendary dwarf campaigns. the whole thing with dwarves is being an insular, defense-oriented military yet their holds are the same stupid castle layout as everyone that offers no defensive bonuses.

my legendary dwarf sfo campaign just ended around turn 90 as literally every skaven and vampire faction joined the greenskins and just crushed me in my 2 provinces. 1.5 stacks is all i could afford and they just got overwhelmed by numbers.

ive never lost a tw campaign before. feels weird man

precto
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how many vampires is too many? I've already got six rocking in my Isabella army and they might be overkill.

You still need thirteen more.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
my Isabella stack was 4 shadow, 2 death.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ammanas posted:

something like this is needed for vh/legendary dwarf campaigns. the whole thing with dwarves is being an insular, defense-oriented military yet their holds are the same stupid castle layout as everyone that offers no defensive bonuses.

my legendary dwarf sfo campaign just ended around turn 90 as literally every skaven and vampire faction joined the greenskins and just crushed me in my 2 provinces. 1.5 stacks is all i could afford and they just got overwhelmed by numbers.

ive never lost a tw campaign before. feels weird man

Karak Ungor also had an interesting map by the way. One side had a small wall and gate, but the southern part was completely exposed save for a few bridges. So you had to both man the walls and block the choke points. This sounds difficult, but it turns out that having an open area that forces attackers to navigate a maze of causeways is perfect for bolt throwers/cannons /organ guns to get a clear shot at advancing units.

Karaz a Karaks map is pretty simplistic though they give you two ledges perfect for artillery. Zhufbar has way too much 'interior city' going on which isn't useful and kills your FPS. Karak Izor is decent with a channel splitting the map down the middle but attackers start too close to the walls. Karak Azul is among my favorite as it allows defense in depth letting you whittle down attackers.

SFO was fun but I feel the AI could steamroll too hard with it. You got some neat small unit 'elite' units which blatantly benefit AI factions that like to ignore those obscene 1500+g upkeep costs.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wait is there some map pack dlc or something? Or some mod? Would be nice to have non turd siege maps

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I wish the "bad guys" of the old continent (VC, Greenskins, Norsca, Chaos) were not such pushovers, my Skaven campaigns always end up like this:

Literal forever-wars against Dwarfs, Empire and Bretonnia all by myself because everyone who might be of help went extinct ages ago.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Wait is there some map pack dlc or something? Or some mod? Would be nice to have non turd siege maps

GCCM, which has been a community project to create custom maps for specific settlements.

Pros: Tons of unique maps, some settlements have unwalled and walled variants, some maps favor attackers better than defenders, all the maps are pretty looking and many have unique assets like super defensive turrets. Many maps have 3-6 control points to capture instead of just the town square letting the player really strategize on their approach.

Cons: Many maps are pretty but don't lend well to actually fighting in them. Marienberg for example is a beautiful Venice like map but it is like 4x the size of most maps and unless you have 8,000 dudes it just becomes this incredibly tedious Benny hill chase around all the canals and dikes. Pathing is an issue, the AI just completely derps out and refuses to do anything on some maps. Too much impassible terrain on map edges means reinforcements often spawn in solid rock or blindly tumble down bottomless chasms like lemmings.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tithin posted:

I had 4 plagueclaw but they're not that great?

Why should I get more engineers?

Somehow no one addressed this, 4 is okay, 8 is better. Even monsters can't really get past 8, and you can add in some warp lighting/jezzrails just in case.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
4 is good. any more and you're in cheese strat territory

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

4 siege engines is good because after that you run into terrain and line of sight issues, which people often ignore. You can go 4 plagueclaw at the start then switch to 3 plagueclaw 1 warp lightning, or 50/50 depending on how much elite and heavy stuff you are facing or general infantry.

Same issue with ratling gunners, past 4 you really start getting them in each other's way and good firing spots on maps tend to be scarce, I find that 4 gunners with 2 jezzails works if you want a brick of 6 shooters or you can really stretch things to 6 gunners but idk, I feel like.. in this case 4 with 2 jezzails gets you most of what they're good at without being too weak to cav armies, chaos and getting charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For Joan Of arc bretonia is just going all cav viable? Figure grail knights (whatever the sword ones are?) for a “frontline” and the uh shock cav grail as flankers?