Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is weird how they are loving up on both deliveries of stuff they've made for ages and on introducing new products at once though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that 10nm fuckup is killing them, wafer throughput is relatively constant so missing a shrink cuts output in half
also they tied features like a 2x faster igpu, ipc improvements, avx512, displayport 1.4, thunderbolt 3 on die and hardware spectre fixes to the node shrink so they are years late on all those things
then as a bonus amd got good

edit: i forgot about lpddr4x

Perplx fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 17, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

then as a bonus amd got good

hypothesis confirmed, AMD is good now

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my org is evaluating using AMD products because of Intel production shortages

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

you should evaluate it because they're better and cheaper regardless of intel's delivery problems

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

have they finally come up with linux drivers that aren't unstable dogshit?

stable, yes

not-dogshit, no

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've haven't run them since the x710 because I got so burned on them. The second they started moving over a gigabit the link starts flapping every second or so which is exactly what you want to see on your storage fabric

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people whose job it is to know these things are now thoroughly bewildered by what the gently caress intel is even doing with their product lineup

comet lake vs. ice lake, or how to make an incomprehensible product lineup that competes with itself, with no clear winner

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

people whose job it is to know these things are now thoroughly bewildered by what the gently caress intel is even doing with their product lineup

comet lake vs. ice lake, or how to make an incomprehensible product lineup that competes with itself, with no clear winner

no one gives a poo poo about 15w laptop parts tho. esp accellerated avx512 workloads on them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no one gives a poo poo about 15w laptop parts tho. esp accellerated avx512 workloads on them.

congratulations on not reading the story

the tl;dr is that intel is talking up avx512 performance on their ice lake (10nm) parts, while ignoring the fact that for any real-world workload, their comet lake (14nm) parts are substantially faster

that is a grade A fuckup

especially since the laptop chips are the only thing shipping in volume on 10 nm

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Partycat posted:

my problem was windows btw

yes op

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its pretty damning when the us military is demanding that tsmc builds factories in the us rather than just going to intel

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Silver Alicorn posted:

my org is evaluating using AMD products because of Intel production shortages
We're evaluating them for use in our research clusters because the price/performance differences are so stark now that people are willing to break their habits.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
c amd status: still killin it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
256MB L3 cache is insane

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

256MB L3 cache is insane

well so is running 128 threads simultaneously
gotta feed those things

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

256MB L3 cache is insane

4 mb per core is no joke

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

even in the one bench where intel is 2x faster amd you could buy 5 amd chips for the same price

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Zlodo posted:

well so is running 128 threads simultaneously
gotta feed those things

well yeah, but im just thinking of having 2mb of total RAM in a x86 machine at one point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

well yeah, but im just thinking of having 2mb of total RAM in a x86 machine at one point

ram measured in megabytes? the luxury!

in my day we had 640kb and we were grateful to have it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

in my day we had 64kb and we were grateful to have it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my amigo with 512kb of ram looks at you with insane jealousy

when did pcs start swapping? low memory was the worst when everything had to reside in ram at once, or, instead of it just being dog poo poo slow the answer instead was just no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm trying to remember if i ever owned anything with an intel 8080 in it, but i don't think so

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my first hard disk, on my amiga 1200, was 80MB
it was insane to me

now the average game's main executable file doesn't even fit in there lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
holy poo poo. its happening.gif

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1225820110302040064

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol gently caress yeah. gonna be the imac and mac pro though, they still have work to do for laptops

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if there’s an AMD iMac (possibly pro) I’m buying it day one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol gently caress yeah. gonna be the imac and mac pro though, they still have work to do for laptops

I’m shocked the MacBook air doesn’t still have a core2duo in it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
why does that shock you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why doesn’t it shock you

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how good is the amd now give me the rundown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

p. good for workstation and high-end desktop

not so good for mobile

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

theadder posted:

lemme ask you one question. do you want your threads ripped or unripped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theadder posted:

it really rips the llama's threads

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

p. good for workstation and high-end desktop

not so good for mobile

The upcoming Ryzen 4000 seems to be pretty good for mobile, and even the current generation is a solid choice.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lemme ask you one question. do you want your threads ripped or unripped

unsure op plz advise

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

in some kind of karmic convergence two things happened.

1. amd made a cpu that is good and outperforms the intel cores that would have existed if not for number 2...

2. intel shat the bed and then set it on fire. they basically have nothing this year, and nothing next year. their entire product line is rebranded old chips and they don’t even have a path for how to dig themselves out of this hole.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

theadder posted:

10nm manufacturing is very very hard to do as it involves super cutting edge tech and intel, who still have their own fabs, is having a very hard time to make it work

amd subcontracts their manufacturing to global foundries and those guys have a working 10nm process

in addition amd invested in designing a brand new cpu architecture that is finally competitive with intel's

and also intel's microarchitecture turns out to be plagged with security issues being discovered lately and the fixes/workarounds pretty much always end up eroding performances

all in all it means amd has right now a technological advantage over intel and they are aggressively taking advantage of it to regain market shares

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
seems like the code names translate into the full range of apus and an upcoming high end gpu. I think an apu Mac would be pretty cool but apple has previously added gpus by mistake so don't get your hopes up too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how small can they go, like whats the theoretical limit