Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Need help on a P1P1. This seems like a pretty weak pack overall, what do i do here? The rare isn't particularly strong, no great removal, Blood Aspirant and Reverent Hoplite are *ok*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Need help on a P1P1. This seems like a pretty weak pack overall, what do i do here? The rare isn't particularly strong, no great removal, Blood Aspirant and Reverent Hoplite are *ok*

I like the Aspirant here, the bots underdraft red more than a little from what I've seen

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mike N Eich posted:

Take the dryad and a get a couple late pick Traveler's Amulets and try to live the dream of 4-5 color goodstuff IMO.

As you said the pack is bad enough the opportunity cost is low enough if you have to audible out of that plan.

Disclaimer: I am dumb, and bad at Magic.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Blood Aspirant, Hero of the Pride and Reverent Hoplite stick out to me as the 3 options. Highest upside is probably a tie between Hoplite and Blood Aspirant so I think its kind of a wash which you take.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

i think hoplite is one of the better uncommons in the set and would be happy to take it here, it's a pretty surprising overperformer. would probably be on dryad behind that, blood aspirant hasn't particularly impressed me in most decks and is basically a rakdos gold card

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caleb and Riley reprimanding Twitch chat for calling out WotC's horrible stream quality was hilarious.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The rare is bad but no where near unplayable. 2/4 enchantment creature for 3 is decent enough and the rest is gravy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I’d take the rare. But what a bad pack.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
On the upside Daddy of the Grove makes it easier to splash for high end bombs with awkward costs, like Dream Trawler.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I ended up going with the Hoplite, and thanks for all the input. I've cobbled together what I think is an "ok" Blue-White enchantment matters deck and we'll so how it goes!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I think ramp is p good in this format and being in green let’s you play any other two colors you want with low risk. Sucks that all three pieces are in that pack though because if you take the dryad your down stream player likely to snap caryatid and move towards green.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Paul Zuvella posted:

What about cosplaying is "vital"

Cosplaying in the "high effort, travelling to cons" sense is a very woman dominated hobby so it's a major entry point for evening the scales of the fandom.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If there were a magicfest with zero artists lined up, I think we'd all agree that whilst it didn't affect the ability to play the game, the event would definitely be missing something, and well made, enthusiastic cosplayers are another item on that sort of list int hat they make the event feel better and more inclusive just through being there, even if they're not for you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Clowner posted:

Cosplaying takes a gently caress load of effort so I respect anyone with the skill and patience to put together an actual costume and not just a cardboard box that says "Jace" in permanent marker

Yeah good cosplaying is hard to do and I'm glad they're getting some support for their work. The fact it infuriates the CHUDs is even better.

The humor of it is great too. I would love to sit down for a match and I am literally playing against Teferi or Ashiok or Elspeth irl.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bust Rodd posted:

Even the dumb ones can be cool

If this is what I think it is, this is an amazing cosplay.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Cosplay is in no way whatsoever vital, to, like, anything, but it makes the CHUDs mad and it’s not my money so I fully support the cause

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurieg posted:

If this is what I think it is, this is an amazing cosplay.

i think it's Jin-Gitaxias

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

i think it's Jin-Gitaxias

Sure looks like it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This game is silly when your opponents draw nothing but trash and you draw the useful half of your deck

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
More Lairs at Worlds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
goes without saying but riley really is great

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Who are we betting on for the MC lads?

Edit: Had to leave for the weekend so I voted for the Polish Punisher out of national pride

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 8, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kanister is my dude now and forever

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Bust Rodd posted:

you cant fool me this is a bleach character

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Didn't expect my draft deck to do well, but Lyre + Labyrinth frustrated enough opponents into milling themselves out that I went 3-0-1.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

you cant fool me this is a bleach character

I thought it was spy vs. spy cosplay from the thumbnail

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It's Jin-Gitaxias + Mac Tonight isn't it? Maybe my brain has finally quit on me. Or it's an Jojo reference, and I'm dating the hell out of myself.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
guess phyrexia doesn't have access to clothes irons

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking Sultai Delirium to a Pioneer 1K tomorrow.

Do I do 2 Languish in the side or 1 Languish and 1 Cast down.
I also expected a ton of low budget burn decks, I keep in a single Collective Brutality right?

Help me goons!!!!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

little munchkin posted:

guess phyrexia doesn't have access to clothes irons
phrexia has a whole layer of nothing but clothes irons, for varying definitions of clothing and ironing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

I'm taking Sultai Delirium to a Pioneer 1K tomorrow.

Do I do 2 Languish in the side or 1 Languish and 1 Cast down.
I also expected a ton of low budget burn decks, I keep in a single Collective Brutality right?

Help me goons!!!!

If you expect a lot of low budget burn decks use 2 cobru.

1 Languish and 1 something else. Lots of folks run cast down but i would just prefer an extra Noxious Grasp a lot of time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yawgmoth posted:

phrexia has a whole layer of nothing but clothes irons, for varying definitions of clothing and ironing

This guy compleats.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
We have a wpn qualifier at our lgs tomorrow so a lot of our store’s players were sharpening their knives at our fnm tonight. All of our top placers were on azorious control, the mirror matches looked brutal and grindy. Took one mirror match fifty minutes just to get through game one, the loser having milled themselves. After azorious control grixis control seemed strongest. I played Bant pod which was v fun, but went 3-2 lost out to azorious control and grixis control.

Don’t think I saw any cat decks. Glad that’s on a break.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yiggy posted:

We have a wpn qualifier at our lgs tomorrow so a lot of our store’s players were sharpening their knives at our fnm tonight. All of our top placers were on azorious control, the mirror matches looked brutal and grindy. Took one mirror match fifty minutes just to get through game one, the loser having milled themselves. After azorious control grixis control seemed strongest. I played Bant pod which was v fun, but went 3-2 lost out to azorious control and grixis control.

Don’t think I saw any cat decks. Glad that’s on a break.

Seems like you should jam Mono-Red at the WPN qualifier. Also DQ all control players who can't finish their mirrors in time for slow play imho.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do people like playing the UW matchup as mono-red? I hate it, personally, but I might be approaching it wrong.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

Do people like playing the UW matchup as mono-red? I hate it, personally, but I might be approaching it wrong.

Well, its no longer "if they have a sweeper I lose" because of anex. You are just trying to get them dead as a fast as possible, and Anex makes you fairly resilient from board wipes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No one has ever liked playing against UW ever in any format, that’s the point.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I loved playing against it as Murdergoats, the regular grinder who played U/W in that standard hated a R/B who could out grind him. My most satisfying win was him making so many 1/1 tokens with Elspeth that I could kill him with Rakdos charm.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I actually quite like the matchup for Izzet Ensoul in Pioneer.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, its no longer "if they have a sweeper I lose" because of anex. You are just trying to get them dead as a fast as possible, and Anex makes you fairly resilient from board wipes

That’s a good point. It sucks that Banishing Light safely removes him and it curves right into the 4 cmc wrath, but I guess having to make them spend an extra card is still value. We need a red Adanto Vanguard imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

I actually quite like the matchup for Izzet Ensoul in Pioneer.

Control in general is just really bad in Pioneer. But whats up izzet ensoul buddy. Whats your list?