Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beluga Snail posted:

Zero roadmap updates this week.

Holy. Hell.

Maybe that’s why Chris was looking so miserable in that last Inside Star Citizen. The news - such that there’s been any - has been unrelentingly depressing over the last year. They fight for every inch of progress on the PU. Chris’s new co-owner has him under the gun to finish Squadron because “WTF did I give you $64 million for?”

It’s interesting to see that brief stretch of renewed optimism after they got the Calder money. They had the big whale dinner. Got a lot of positive clickbait press. Geared up for their biggest CitizenCon ever. Had a hot new streamer on retainer and got a slick advertorial from RedBull Media House. Everyone seemed pretty jazzed there for maybe a half year stretch...

Now the optimism is gone. Sandi is gone. ATV is gone. The directors hide from nearly any camera appearance. Chris puts in the bare minimum. The roadmaps crawl forward, only to be backward revised as deadlines near to cut back on meager progress. Lando has switched from the smug know-it-all giving lectures on how Chris was never afraid to pursue “the better way” (trashing years of work and starting over because ‘vision’). Now, to the extent we see Lando, he’s rocking the demeanor of a kindergarten teacher, his scripts peppered with caveats because he knows they’re in trouble.

The old guard streamers aren’t raising hell yet. Maybe they’re still clinging to that sweet Pyro jumpgate from citcon. Or maybe they’re worried Chris will bring Rex back and gut their audiences again.

It’s going to be a glorious year. Can’t wait to play Squadron this Christmas!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
:reddit: :
Maybe sq42 was too busy to be able to update roadmap? Hope so!

One can always dream.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star posted:

:reddit: :
Maybe sq42 was too busy to be able to update roadmap? Hope so!

One can always dream.

Yep, that's the ticket, they're getting so much done they don't have TIME to click that checkmark in their project management software!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandi is gone?

Edit: Should probably mention that I've only vaguely paid attention this whole thing a couple times a year, Sandi is probably old news now.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sandi is gone?

Edit: Should probably mention that I've only vaguely paid attention this whole thing a couple times a year, Sandi is probably old news now.

Sandi has always been gone. And this month we're at war with The Expanse. The news from the Star Citizen front is doubleplusgood.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sandi is gone?

Sandi stopped cohosting Around the Verse at the end of 2018. ATV was dropped a few months later, freeing Chris from having to occasionally do them.

Lando rolled out a weekly garbage effort after called “Inside Star Citizen”. Sandi briefly popped up in an episode with Chris, and hasn’t been seen since. Got some terrible press in Forbes magazine not long after and then an hour long examination in Bootcha’s Sunk Cost Galaxy series.

She wasn’t even mentioned at last year’s CitizenCon. So it seems like her chapter of the story is over. Ironically, despite not being much of an actress, she was perhaps the single best co-star in Chris’s Star Citizen story. She will be missed, though not mourned.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Sandi has always been gone. And this month we're at war with The Expanse. The news from the Star Citizen front is doubleplusgood.

:discourse:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

Sandi stopped cohosting Around the Verse at the end of 2018. ATV was dropped a few months later, freeing Chris from having to occasionally do them.

Lando rolled out a weekly garbage effort after called “Inside Star Citizen”. Sandi briefly popped up in an episode with Chris, and hasn’t been seen since. Got some terrible press in Forbes magazine not long after and then an hour long examination in Bootcha’s Sunk Cost Galaxy series.

She wasn’t even mentioned at last year’s CitizenCon. So it seems like her chapter of the story is over. Ironically, despite not being much of an actress, she was perhaps the single best co-star in Chris’s Star Citizen story. She will be missed, though not mourned.

Yanked from Discord:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11584846/

"A series about four people who still have a lot to learn."

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO THESE INSANE IDIOTS NOT REALIZE THAT FACIAL MAPPING DATA IS WAY, WAY MORE INVASIVE THAN SEEING WHAT YOUR NEETCAVE LOOKS LIKE OR WHATEVER?

And you can sell facial data.
Neetcaves, not so much.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

G0RF posted:

If a tide of some sort has turned or is beginning to turn, what might a slew of refund requests have accomplished if delivered in concert with the Expanse PR kerfuffle? Not everyone mind you, but maybe 10,000 requests physically delivered to the Santa Monica office. Could even have been copies of online requests filed. I bet it would have been covered in the gaming press if done while the internet was actively digesting crimes against Sci Fi Celebrity Guy. Thinking also of Blizzard being forced to refund Warcraft 3 this week, and a former backer in the UK who was able to bypass the CI ToS with some fairly simple consumer law threatening. That might have been about a month ago now. But the historians could have drawn a connection, as winners are wont to do.

It's not that I want any of my money back, well sure, it would be nice, but that's not my end game. And I don't want an ELE to take all things CI off the map and out the history books. I want a measured collapse such that the lid is blown off the operation and we get to find out what absolute poo poo backers have funded over these last eight years. A nice Perry Mason type ending in which the CI inner circles take to social media to try their own cases against each other while CR and Ortwin are detained at the airport and abandoned Sandi lays the whole sad story bare because toxic masculinity, or Johnny Depp, or no one ever gave her a chance.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yep, that's the ticket, they're getting so much done they don't have TIME to click that checkmark in their project management software!

If you didn't catch bobblehead stream: It was supposed to be Q&A with the chat. They kept abandoning it and taking about theater or whatever because the chat didn't ask questions they had answers to. Prop-Lead was excited about stuff he made for ~prison gameplay~ but there was nothing to show or say.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Dementropy posted:

Yanked from Discord:

Taglines: They'll figure it out...eventually

Thanks writer bot, that is great.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Armadillo Tank posted:

If you didn't catch bobblehead stream: It was supposed to be Q&A with the chat. They kept abandoning it and taking about theater or whatever because the chat didn't ask questions they had answers to. Prop-Lead was excited about stuff he made for ~prison gameplay~ but there was nothing to show or say.

Here's what I said on Obsidian Ant's latest vid re. "prison gameplay"

A sucker who should have known better posted:

None of this is real, Ant. It's just the usual bullshot video from CIG. Tony Z, Chris, Todd, that General Custer lookalike dude over in Frankfurt... they've no idea how to finish this so-called game. After they made such a huge fuss over spending a whole week in January on "planning week", have a look at the latest roadmap update https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17464-Roadmap-Roundup-February-7th-2020 - zero progress despite a) the previous cast-iron commitments from Erin that the roadmaps would be solid going forward; and b) the switch to staggered development to make patch increments more achievable. The $48 million investment from Clive Calder has been blown on keeping the company's lights on. Star Citizen at this point in time is just a highly efficient nerd milking machine.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As desperate as they are for ANYTHING positive to the point that they manufacture it out of whole cloth, if there was even the smallest bit accomplished, then we both know there would be Alp horns blaring from the mountaintops nonstop to announce a new fundraising opportunity to celebrate it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Remember how during the initial kickstarter the Constellation was going to be your own personal Millennium Falcon that let you finally live out every minuscule dream you've had of being a cool space rogue living aboard your personal ship? And then when that one came out and it turned out it's just a rectangle with a bunch of non-interactive coffee makers and showers stuck to the sides, so then the Freelancer was going to be your own personal Serenity that let you finally live out every minuscule dream you've had of being a cool space rogue living aboard your personal ship? And then when that one came out and it turned out it's just a rectangle with a bunch of non-interactive coffee makers and showers stuck to the side, so then the Starfarer was going to be your own personal Nostromo that let you finally live out every minuscule dream you've had of being a cool space rogue living aboard your personal ship? And then when that one came out and it turned out it's just a rectangle with a bunch of stairs stuck to the side, so then the 600i was going to be your own personal Jupiter 2 that let you finally live out every minuscule dream you've had of being a cool space rogue living aboard your personal ship?

The Carrack is the next one of that.

:five::five::five::five::five:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This guy has had a bad few weeks

3.8.x to 4.0.0 Progress Watch - Update 2020-01-25

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7TwHaJa.png[/img]"]Thanks for putting this together.

And this isn't the full 'roadmap revamp' (calling it a revamp to distinguish it from the weekly updates) so there will probably be a bunch more stuff moving / getting added next week, etc.

And it's funny watching all those people playing Chicken Little over these changes, after spending the last couple of weeks complaining about not getting the revamp.

I Do think CIG could have done a better job of communicating what their process is ('we're going to take several weeks re-evaluating the existing plans and additional work, and this may result in lots of features being moved / removed. This will be spread over several weeks, so don't freak out if the first few updates remove more stuff than they add', etc.

But equally, people are completely losing their poo poo over nothing, and obviously without bothering to engage their brains. Mind you, it is funny (in a sad kinda way) to read the posts on Spectrum :D

Roadmap Update - January 31st

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7TwHaJa.png[/img]"]Right, so after last weeks shredding, they're taking not just one but two weeks to put the new stuff on the board...

I know they probably have a lot of new tickets to input, and cross-link etc (Jira can be a pain in the butt for large rounds of work like this - especially if you're using the Atlassian slow-as-gently caress servers rather than hosting/managing yourself), but dear god CIG really have managed this badly from a backer / communications perspective...

Not that I really expected any different from them after all these years... but surely someone must have looked at this process and face-palmed?

Roadmap Roundup - February 7th, 2020

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7TwHaJa.png[/img]"]O.M.G. this is so bad it's bordering on funny now... in a 'taking bets on how incompetent they can be' kinda way :/

Well, guess we'll minor progress on the few features / tasks we know about when the roadmap itself updates... but at this rate, the 'yearly planning' will have taken more than an 1/8th of the year - and probably see the early updates themselves getting more updates before they finally bring us the later updates...

Note: the 'incompetence' I referred too earlier is solely around the handling of the communication for the planning (ok, and maybe a little bit for how long it's taking to either do the planning and/or do the updates)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Bonus SQ42 musings...

Squadron 42 Roadmap Update (2020-01-17)

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7TwHaJa.png[/img]"]
Progress is awful... if you believe that the roadmap is 100% accurate in reporting what they're working on.

It's not (you can tell from the fact that they're working on features from ~4 different quarters), so I expect this roadmap to change significantly when CIG finish their yearly planning...

And yes, I'm aware that doesn't explain the incomplete work from Q3 and Q4 last year, unless they had already made internal changes to the plan, and not updated the public roadmap (which, given it's been ~9 months since the last update to the chapters, seems quite likely. Either that, or the project really is the scam that some have been claiming :p)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"[timg posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/timg]"]Thank you RSI staff

I just wanted to say thank you. Why?, well let me explain.

First of all I must say that I am still a newbie to SC. I created my account less than a year ago, but I have played it less hours than I would like to due to a very time consuming job and two little keyboard smasher kids. I know my opinion is less valuable than older players and people that has spent more money backing the game, but anyway I wanted to say a few things.

- You are brave. Developing this game in an open fashion is hard. It is like building a car being constantly watched over your shoulder with a ton of people saying "you should do this", " you should have done that", "when will it be done?", "go faster!", etc... I know it is a neccessary thing to raise funds and getting ideas income, but makes it harder.

- Badass time!. Open publishing a roadmap with estimate release dates is the most badass thing I´ve ever seen in game developing industry! Such a pressure on your shoulders...

- Hold on. The praise / criticism posts ratio on spectrum is clearly disproportionated. It must be frustrating to spend such an effort in developing this amazing game, trying to satisfy demands and suggestions and getting only negative messages. It must be a turn down and not good for self-confidence. It may arouse fear in implementing new features or ideas in the game because the game can turn temporarily unstable and people may complain (that´s what alpha is for!!! people forgets that this is an alpha!).

Congratulations. It is by far the best game I´ve ever played. From the huge scale of the planets you can move to the tiny details (fingerprints on screens, paint flickers on ships, text on tiny stickers in the metro, etc...). Space life sim. A coffee maker or a toilet in a ship seem a joke or a superfluous feature, but then you realize how important they are for immersion. It is amazing to see how have you keep players interested over the years. The game has "something".

"[timg posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/timg]"]Well said good sir or madam.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Topical game dev journal entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_J9n8mgQaY

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Dementropy posted:

Yanked from Discord:

Wow, her bio page is hard to believe. AtV, Bugsmashers!, Ten for the Chairman, etc. She lists all of these as TV Series with her as series producer. But then, she does still have a lot to learn.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

ClownBobo posted:

Wow, her bio page is hard to believe. AtV, Bugsmashers!, Ten for the Chairman, etc. She lists all of these as TV Series with her as series producer. But then, she does still have a lot to learn.

Latest entry:
Executive producing a documentary entitled "Making of Star Citizen" that's currently being filmed.

So either a PR piece only a whale wouldn't roll their eyes at, or just something to add to her resume since there technically is a making of being "filmed" for 8 years now and will still be for years to come.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Making of Star Citizen was last updated in 2016 - it's been on her IMDB forever...

It was one of the original kick-starter stretch goals iirc

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bronze Fonz posted:

Latest entry:
Executive producing a documentary entitled "Making of Star Citizen" that's currently being filmed.

So either a PR piece only a whale wouldn't roll their eyes at, or just something to add to her resume since there technically is a making of being "filmed" for 8 years now and will still be for years to come.

More like “The Breaking of Star Citizen” amirite?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAgent posted:

oh and they did a video yesterday covering the new grouping mechanics and it was a 2 minute segment of devs going "gee golly its real important we get a grouping system in this game!" and that was it

no new information on how it works, how it'll integrate into your account, etc

lol

Reading this with an incoming migraine, thought it said “groping mechanics,” seemed just as likely :lesnick:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ben friggin Lesnick

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Ospf9qn.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF posted:

More like “The Breaking of Star Citizen” amirite?

I'd also accept 'Making Bad'

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Making and doing are different things.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

mods, ban this filth!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
:reddit: posted "The one thing we're missing is the Theater of War roadmap, maybe that's where all the progress is happening."

"Hopefully not. Sean Tracy said they have a really small team and 90 percent of their development is using assets/codebase already in the main branch."

"That’s weird because everyone else has said Sq42 was the main focus and taking all the resources"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

his nibs posted:

:reddit: posted "The one thing we're missing is the Theater of War roadmap, maybe that's where all the progress is happening."

"Hopefully not. Sean Tracy said they have a really small team and 90 percent of their development is using assets/codebase already in the main branch."

"That’s weird because everyone else has said Sq42 was the main focus and taking all the resources"

Truly open development

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Truly open development

Well it is, because Chris said so. There is no doubting Chris.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

his nibs posted:

mods, ban this filth!

If ckifford miku was offered by ci!g to buy a off-brand horny kilrathi avatar with face cam/ foip you know he would buy it.

Also the alien nature of the face would overcome a good bit of the uncanny valley (no reference of what it should look like)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bubbacub posted:

e: wrong thread

true

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

G0RF posted:

The old guard streamers aren’t raising hell yet. Maybe they’re still clinging to that sweet Pyro jumpgate from citcon. Or maybe they’re worried Chris will bring Rex back and gut their audiences again.

It’s going to be a glorious year. Can’t wait to play Squadron this Christmas!!!

I mean, both Baron and Twerk openly trash talks CIG on stream. Any time I bother to tune in to any of them, they're getting in a snide remark here and there.
I don't expect them to go full FTR , since some of these guys rely on whale donations as their primary income.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dementropy posted:

Yanked from Discord:

From her imdb profile:

Trivia: Is in the Guinness Book of Records 2015 for co-creating the most successful crowd funded project ever.
:lol:
successful

Only related news article mentioned at her imdb profile is:
Star Citizen Report Reveals Gross Money Mismangement and Chris Robert's Poor Decisions

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:reddit: I'm sorry that your roadmap and the work you put into these posts get downvoted. Apparently stupid people feel they should downvote you to show how frustrated they are with delays.
Are there delays? Yes. Are we (few/many/some/all) starting to get frustrated with the delays? Yes. Is your work awesome? Yes.
Thank you.

:mad: I'm more frustrated with the lack of communication regarding the S42 chapters that have not seen any updates for over 8 months. If it needs to be delayed yet again, fine. But at least let us know about it.

:ohdear: What if the truth of why theres a massive delay is far more harmful than the community blowback from the information blackout...

:shrug: ...too bad? Although we're to blame, we really really should hold their feet to the fire and make this kind of fuckery a massively harmful problem, instead of being worried that telling us what's going on would be worse.

:argh: Never going to happen. The whales funding this mess already shouted down and drove off any sane people with reasonable criticism years ago. All we got left are crazy bastards who just throw money into the fire in the hopes they'll put it out.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I'm sorry that your roadmap and the work you put into these posts get downvoted. Apparently stupid people feel they should downvote you to show how frustrated they are with delays.
Are there delays? Yes. Are we (few/many/some/all) starting to get frustrated with the delays? Yes. Is your work awesome? Yes.
Thank you.

:mad: I'm more frustrated with the lack of communication regarding the S42 chapters that have not seen any updates for over 8 months. If it needs to be delayed yet again, fine. But at least let us know about it.

:ohdear: What if the truth of why theres a massive delay is far more harmful than the community blowback from the information blackout...

:shrug: ...too bad? Although we're to blame, we really really should hold their feet to the fire and make this kind of fuckery a massively harmful problem, instead of being worried that telling us what's going on would be worse.

:argh: Never going to happen. The whales funding this mess already shouted down and drove off any sane people with reasonable criticism years ago. All we got left are crazy bastards who just throw money into the fire in the hopes they'll put it out.

quote:

I have no idea why you're wondering so much about the 80% on 20% thing? I see it every day at work. I'm 80% done and 5 minutes later something is changed or added. If somebody asks me if I will finish my work by a certain time, I can only appreciate it. Instead of simply saying that I don't know, I say what is possible and mention the risk of not meeting the deadline.
This is exactly what CIG does. So how can one be so confident about such figures and the roadmap when these uncertain factors occur daily in professional life?
I hope that this issue has finally been clarified and that we do not have to repeat ourselves all the time.

The gamestar thread (now with a "X days to carrack" countdown) has officially surpassed the SC reddit in stupidity. And this guy is a moderator there, silencing dissenting opinions. This last sentence drips with arrogance and is enough reason for me to look forward to the day CIG closes shop, just to see with what stupid poo poo excuse this guy comes up with next.

quote:

Yeah, but that's trolling for me. If I go to a vegan forum all the time and tell them how delicious my schnitzel was and why the imitation vegan schnitzel is in there, then I am not interested in a discussion, but want to cause trouble -> Trolling.

Right, now go buy some ships or you'll end up in the Fight Club in the Klescher Prison Facility

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 8, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

TheAgent posted:

no mr calder, mr roberts isn't in, no no I swear he's not standing next to me frantically waving his arms and mouthing I'M NOT HERE and he's not getting into his porche and peeling out of the parking lot. can I take a message?

Star Citizen: SQ42 Answer The Call-der 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Inacio posted:

Congratulations. It is by far the best game I´ve ever played.

You can all their wall of text flush down the toilet as soon as such a line appears.
Chris Roberts is a liar, so the Cultists feel free to write such bullshit as well.

I wonder if these guys did not play any video games but F14 Tomcat on the Atari 2600 as a cartridge, because the SC PTU funnily provides slightly more “gameplay loops” than this game from 1998.
It only took them 8+ years and 300+ Million Dollars to surpass 8 Bit games contentwise from 30-35 years ago :allears:
So yes, compared to (most of) the C64 catalogue SC Alpha might be „better“.
But funnily, ELITE on the C64 literally makes SC PTU look like the POS that it is, because the original Elite had depth, gameplay, immersion and core mechanics 😏