Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Okay, trying this ain having passed through death and the flu and submitting a picture were my body's temperature is not over 100 degress F.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Including ball, terrain piece, and goal marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I, ape!!!, Oath Mansions of Madness minis for the Month of January.
Two cultists, a cult leader, two deep one hybrids, and two deep ones.

Edit: edited wrong message, ignore me

ape!!! fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 25, 2020

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: One Grey Knight from Games Workshop.
Only one model for this addition, but I really want to finish this guy up before the new Grey Knights book releases next week.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the month of January

4 Guanlong Crown Dragons by Acheson Creations (28mm)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January, 1x Orion cruiser and 4x Pandora frigates for Dropfleet Commander by TTCombat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January, 1x Orion cruiser and 4x Pandora frigates for Dropfleet Commander by TTCombat.

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in the month of January

4 Guanlong Crown Dragons by Acheson Creations (28mm)

Duct Tape posted:

Only one model for this addition, but I really want to finish this guy up before the new Grey Knights book releases next week.

ape!!! posted:

I, ape!!!, Oath Mansions of Madness minis for the Month of January.
Two cultists, a cult leader, two deep one hybrids, and two deep ones.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Addition!

Adding five Arkanaut Company, from AoS, which have been gathering dust for over a year now.

Brock Samsonite posted:

Okay, trying this ain having passed through death and the flu and submitting a picture were my body's temperature is not over 100 degress F.

I, Brock Samsonite, Oath a Ratcatchers Team from Steamforged Games Guildball

Including ball, terrain piece, and goal marker

Approved!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: December Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point:  Galaspar

Excellent furs and smooth blends give these horrible future mutants a quasi-realistic look. The muscles on the guys playing skins are very subtle, and the metal faceplates on the others look suitably uncomfortable to wear.

Second Place, 2 points:  KingMob

So bright! These Marvels straddle the line between garish comic-book art and realism, and the results are just stunning. The bases, particularly MODOK's, really help to ground them without drawing attention away from the majesty of the figures. MODOK's jet blast is a delight (as is the glow on his headband).

First Place, 3 points:  Grizzled Patriarch

Those eyes, dude. That's a were-bear that has seen some poo poo. The texture of the fur is also very nice; really captures the essential ivory-ness of a polar bear's pelt. Throw in the detail work elsewhere on the model (cloth, feathers, scratches on the axe blade) and you've got a bear-fellow that looks like he hates to do it, but he's gonna have to ruin someone's day.

Bonus Point:  Zark the Damned

That middle owlbear is delightfully detailed and hilarious, as all good owlbears should be.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:December judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Cat Face Joe

Nice purple and dark skin. The model is pretty cool on it's own.

Second place, 2 points: KingMob

A great looking set! I especially like the skin on the big farting guy.

First place, 3 points: Grizzled Patriarch

A really good paintjob all over, but the eyes are super good.

Bonus, 1 point: Zark the Damned

I love owlbears, they are the silliest creature in all of fantasy.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Edit: better pic

ape!!! fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 25, 2020

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

And bonus work in progress shots for the dwarves;

Overalls done in S75 Black Forest Green, highlighted with S75 Arctic blue, then washed with a mix of AP Dark, Purple and Green.

Leather done with SArt Burnt Flesh, highlighted with Vanilla White, washed with an AP Dark/Strong/Purple mix

Armour plates done with S75 Ardennes Green, washed with AP Dark/Purple/Green, the drybrushed with Sherwood Green.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I, Filthy Hans, Oath for January 2020 this Primaris Space Marine

Sorry for the garbage pic, he's fresh out of a Simple Green bath and drying out for repriming. I'm using him as a test mule for a color scheme for my upcoming CSMs. Also he'll be my first attempt at chipping and weathering. I plan on posting wip pics for the challenge.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete!

I am going to link these instead of embedding them because the bezerker is naked and I don't want my carefully painted dwarf butt getting anyone in trouble somehow. Don't worry, his beard saves us from full-frontal action.

https://i.imgur.com/c7Mw9NQl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CP4gvIHl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/95FMhjcl.jpg

Not claiming the monthly challenge because I only took one process photo and then completely forgot about doing any others. Whoops!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming First, draw a circle for the WIP pics, and A recipe for success for my rambling about how I painted them.

First up, inspiration. Painting really old, highly individual minis can be a challenge, because there's no box art to start from, and very few images of how other people have painted them. I knew, however, that these models have a place in my collection as scum-for-hire in Necromunda, so I looked at how GW painted the current line of Necromunda hired guns (image from the Forgeworld store):

Lots of inspiration there. Muted tones for the clothing, and patches of bright red and yellow applied in an asymmetrical fashion. The models are clearly individuals, but there's enough shared elements to bring all three together . And there's those awesome brass armour plates on one guy, I had to give that a try. For basing, I'd already mounted the trio on lumps of slate to give them some extra height and presence, but natural rocks aren't so evocative of Necromunda. I looked up by-products of metalworking, and found this striking image:

Metal slag can be green, who knew? Apparently NASA are sick of hopeful folk bringing these chunks to them, thinking they are meteorites.

So, base colours blocked in, using Daemonette Hide for the cloth, Mephiston Red for some details, and the old Citadel Foundation Yellow for the other details. Skin got a basecoat of Cadian Flesh, and everything that will be dark or metallic got a nice coat of Black Templar Contrast.

A Drukari Violet wash added some definition to the cloth, while the metals were painted with Leadbelcher and Balthasar Gold. Gorthor Brown on the leather, Reikland Flesh on the skin, and Incubi Darkness to bring some green tones to the rocks.

Added black chevrons to one shoulder, and more paints than I could really name to build up highlights. The silvery metal got black and brown washes, and heavily thinned Skrag Brown to add rust and corrosion, followed by Runefang Steel highlights. The bronze had similar washes and Runefang highlights, plus a little Nialahk Oxide in the recesses. Old World Jack in the centre had some extra attention applied to his face, including a crimson wash in his scar, and a little bluish-grey to make the eye the scar runs through look dead and cloudy - he ain't doing much seeing out of that. Highlighted the red up the Fire Dragon Bright, and the yellow to Bad Moon Yellow, using glazes to bring them together. Drybrushed successive greens onto the rocks, up to Moot Green. Skavenblight Dinge and Stormvermin Fur gave some dirty highlights to the black parts.

And there's the finished result! Final details included a glowing florescent patch on Jack's arm, and a transition to simulate flames on the masked man's chest badge - he is called Worldburner after all. I think I succeeded in making them look like a united little mercenary band, but not uniformed soldiers. I entered them into the #Naismithery contest as planned, where the standard of competition is extremely high, but I'm hoping I made a decent account of myself.

(NB you might notice that Jack's aerial changed towards the end. The original was very flimsy, and at some point I dropped him and it broke beyond repair. Ah well)

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 1, 2020

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for January a Skorpius Disintegrator from GW and five miniatures from HeroForge. Sorry for the crap picture quality. I took the picture and started painting, only realizing the photo was garbage when I got back to my computer.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Complete!
Had my lightbox set up for the first two pictures, but not for the last two, so we've got a variety of backgrounds.

Claiming First, draw a circle for these seven shots of the Grey Knight: https://imgur.com/a/mSpdUwe.
If you want to read about the paints I used, I took those shots for my section on the How To Paint Everything: Grey Knights article on Goonhammer: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-grey-knights/

A couple pictures from the album/article:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: December Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): KingMob

All of these look great, but that Modok is just fantastic. The highlights and shadows look great, which is something that's tricky to do on small amount of skin, let alone on huge giant faces like that!

2nd Place (2pts): LazyAngel

I'm a sucker for terrain that feels like it was ripped straight out of a story, and that's exactly what I get from looking at this. Some sort of quiet, haunted desolation. Love it!

1st Place (3pts): Grizzled Patriarch

This is a really good looking bear. Really good. The fine details on the eyes, necklace, and ax look fantastic. And the base looks natural and fitting for the model. Good job!

Bonus (1pts): Cat Face Joe

The blending on the hair and weapon immediately stood out to me, and are absolutely worth a bonus point! Very, very nice!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Work in progress pics:

I'm...not entirely satisfied with it, but painting white turned out to be a bigger pain than I had remembered. That said, it's perfect from across the table. I tried to fake his grey-ish hair by putting down a light grey, then doing a zandri dust on top of that, then a wash beyond that...and it seemed like it worked out alright. I was on the fence about even doing a wash on him, but I went with it...then ended up going back over it with the white anyways.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

Couple of townsfolk:

I never remember to take enough pictures for this months' challenge...

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oath Complete!

I will update this with pics from a proper camera tomorrow but the above images are what I must be judged on. He's complete enough for the challenge although he really needs more work to look good. I started to take wip pics but my shots are so blurry as to be useless so I'm not claiming the challenge.

This dude has been painted, washed, and given another coat over the shade. He hasn't been highlighted or based, but there's 15 minutes left of January so I'm calling it here.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

WIP Pictures:

Claiming monthly January - First, draw a circle and Get the Crystal for ball/goal/terrain markers.

I got a new camera for Christmas so no more phone pics for my completions!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Righty ho, January is done. Onwards to:

quote:

February - A pattern for success
Standing Out - Your model should feature a bright repeating pattern such as hazard stripes, checks or tartan.
Hiding Away - Your model should feature a camoflage pattern or be somehow hiding away, e.g. activating a stealth field.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Spreadsheet is now up to date, make sure I've not missed anything - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nuMunESXXQIzRSQ6ZNeY2ljrNLwtbeKiNemdg8UHDHw/edit#gid=24

Filthy Hans posted:

I, Filthy Hans, Oath for January 2020 this Primaris Space Marine

Sorry for the garbage pic, he's fresh out of a Simple Green bath and drying out for repriming. I'm using him as a test mule for a color scheme for my upcoming CSMs. Also he'll be my first attempt at chipping and weathering. I plan on posting wip pics for the challenge.

Approved! (January)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For February I, Galaspar, oath a refinery terrain piece and a shrine terrain piece (parts by GW, Mantic and Fenris Games)

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I, Conan the Librarian, do hereby solemnly oath to paint these 18 Croatian Light Cavalry miniatures in 15mm by Wargamer by the end of the month of February in the year 2020.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for February:

One Locust (for Rescue Ranger), 28mm, Corvus Belli and one Space Marine, 28mm, GW.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, Oath for February, one Arkanaut Frigate, from GW

Painting in quite a few subassemblies, hence the grey plastic in the box.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob. Oath for February...

10 Tree-revenants, AoS, GW.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I finished last month's oath, took it to a tournament interstate, then forgot to post oath complete when I got home :negative:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint the following uruk-hai group (3 berserkers, 4 crossbows, 1 captain, 1 banner bearer, 1 sword and shield) (GW) for February!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of February, Gwyneth Maddox (Malifaux), 2x Refbots (Dreadball), & 1x Kraken 3x Gun Wagons (Dropzone Commander).

I'll be claiming Rescue Ranger for the Kraken as it has a bit of paint on before I got distracted by something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint the following:

Boba Fett, from Star Wars: Legion, by FFG.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I uh...don't have much patience for waiting, apparently :v:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

I tried to free-hand some gold stripes on top of a black strip to mimic hazard trips on his jetpack for the monthly challenge (looking at A Pattern for Success), but...not entirely sure how it turned out.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Oath Addition

For February, I additionally oath a sewer entrance and a bulkhead door (GW)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for February 2020:

1 Chimera, GW, 28mm

Going for Rescue Ranger with this one as it's a part painted 2nd hander.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for February 2020:

1 Chimera, GW, 28mm

Going for Rescue Ranger with this one as it's a part painted 2nd hander.

Galaspar posted:

Oath Addition

For February, I additionally oath a sewer entrance and a bulkhead door (GW)

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin, oath to paint the following:

Boba Fett, from Star Wars: Legion, by FFG.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of February, Gwyneth Maddox (Malifaux), 2x Refbots (Dreadball), & 1x Kraken 3x Gun Wagons (Dropzone Commander).

I'll be claiming Rescue Ranger for the Kraken as it has a bit of paint on before I got distracted by something.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint the following uruk-hai group (3 berserkers, 4 crossbows, 1 captain, 1 banner bearer, 1 sword and shield) (GW) for February!

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob. Oath for February...

10 Tree-revenants, AoS, GW.

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, Oath for February, one Arkanaut Frigate, from GW

Painting in quite a few subassemblies, hence the grey plastic in the box.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I, Cat Face Joe, oath the following for February:

One Locust (for Rescue Ranger), 28mm, Corvus Belli and one Space Marine, 28mm, GW.

Galaspar posted:

For February I, Galaspar, oath a refinery terrain piece and a shrine terrain piece (parts by GW, Mantic and Fenris Games)

Conan the Librarian posted:

I, Conan the Librarian, do hereby solemnly oath to paint these 18 Croatian Light Cavalry miniatures in 15mm by Wargamer by the end of the month of February in the year 2020.

Approved!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

Challenge is the camo pattern, and as per my oath I'm claiming Rescue Ranger on this 2nd hander.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I, Ashcans, oath 3 Ork aspiring Kommandos for February.

Working on turning AoBR boyz into various other mobs, going to figure out what it takes to make some into kommandos. I figure some backpacks, grenades, and slugga mods may be enough.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Tech-Priest Manipulus from Games Workshop. I intended to also oath 5 Electro-priests along with this guy, but jumped the gun and started painting them before I snapped a picture :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath complete!