Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://twitter.com/Glickenhaus/status/1225806081181585410?s=19

Glickenhaus's new GT3 car, more pics on his Twitter, looks to have a 6.2L Chevy V8

still really curious what OEM is going to be making the Glickenhaus Hypercar's engine. when announced signs pointed to the big Chevy V8 for that too, but at some point plans changed and it seems more likely to be another brand (Alfa Romeo?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

There should just be a "gently caress it" exhibition class a le mans for things like Project 400 and people who just wanna drop a CART engine into a 911 or bring back a 917k where you're not rewarded for race position but rather how much cool poo poo you can cram into the car and records you can break.

Is this the worst idea? yes.

Would it be hilarious and fun? also yes.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

best of luck to groverhaus in their sportscar endeavors

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

thats not a fair comparison. groverhouse was more successful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Please keep Groverhaas discussion in the F1 thread

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spaced God posted:

There should just be a "gently caress it" exhibition class a le mans for things like Project 400 and people who just wanna drop a CART engine into a 911 or bring back a 917k where you're not rewarded for race position but rather how much cool poo poo you can cram into the car and records you can break.

Isnt that basically what the 24hrs at Nurburgring have become?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iwentdoodie posted:

Isnt that basically what the 24hrs at Nurburgring have become?

:rip: the manta

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't the Manta team shut down this year?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

orange juche posted:

Didn't the Manta team shut down this year?

last year was their final run

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
i wish it was easy to watche supercross live :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

They already have too many people trying to get into the rain without the real wacky ideas. At least have fun and useful ideas, like hydrogen, or allowing handicapped drivers to compete.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The NHRA made a change to their P L A Y O F F structure. Basically, every full-time team that puts down qualifying runs is automatically in the Countdown.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/nhra-announces-changes-countdown-championship-points-structure

However…

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nhra/a30792414/nhra-headache-top-fuel-champ-steve-torrence-others-skipping-season-opening-winternationals/

quote:

What if the NHRA threw a 60th anniversary party and the reigning king of the “Kings of the Sport” didn’t show up?

Two-time defending Top Fuel champion Steve Torrence sent his RSVP via social media Wednesday. He won’t be racing at the season-opening 60th annual Winternationals that begin this weekend at Pomona, California.

Turns out, he's not alone in deciding to pass on the NHRA's first event of the 2020 season.

quote:

The trouble is that Torrence’s absence has greater complications. He’s not the only one opting out of the Winternationals. The Top Fuel class will now be missing three of the top seven racers from last year’s final standings.

No. 5 Billy Torrence, Steve’s father, has pulled out. And No. 7 from last year, Mike Salinas, who skipped three races last season but qualified fifth for the Countdown to the Championship, announced last weekend that business commitments will keep him from the first four events this year.

Moreover, Steve Torrence’s decision has created a wave of discontent. In a show of solidarity, two owner-drivers—Top Fuel regular Scott Palmer and Funny Car racer Jeff Diehl—also are sitting out the Winternationals.…

…Ironically, the defections come less than a month after the NHRA instituted new rules for qualifying for its Countdown to the Championship playoffs that the series said would encourage participation.

:tif:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

people talk/joke about NASCAR dying, but the NHRA (or at least the pro classes) will die way before they do

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i didn't realize this until they were talking about it during the broadcast but the pro stock champ from 2 years ago is in arca now. That's a pretty good sign the pro category is dead with nitro probably not too far behind

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ferrari have expressed interest in LMDh: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ferrari-lmdh-prototype-entry-coletta/4682748/

Makes you wonder how unappealing the hypercar regulations must be if Ferrari would rather join LMDh and build their own monocoque.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If you haven't watched it yet, Uppity is such a good loving movie.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Ferrari have expressed interest in LMDh: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ferrari-lmdh-prototype-entry-coletta/4682748/

Makes you wonder how unappealing the hypercar regulations must be if Ferrari would rather join LMDh and build their own monocoque.

Now would imsa go for an exemption to allow Ferrari to construct their own monocoque? I'm thinking nah, considering that the chassis must be sourced from LMP2.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrari a year from now: “It’s a whole-new Ferrari! 100% Prancing Horse”

*very small chassis plate inside says “Dallara”*

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It’s tradition with the 333SP!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

Now would imsa go for an exemption to allow Ferrari to construct their own monocoque? I'm thinking nah, considering that the chassis must be sourced from LMP2.

The quotes from the Ferrari dude make it sound like the LMDh regs might differ enough from DPi that they could build just the monocoque and buy the remaining chassis parts from one of the LMP2 manufacturers, presumably Dallara. But I hope we don't go down that road at all.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
So i'm completely new to motorsports and i've found i've got a hankerin' for sports car racing. Started watching some Goodwood videos on youtube recently which were cool, and then watched a few hours of the 24 hours of Daytona after it was a recommended video. Then I parked my rear end on the couch and ended up watching several hours straight of the Bathurst 12hr last week which was awesome to watch since i already knew that course well from years of Gran Turismo and Forza. All of the rules and different racing leagues are still fairly confusing but after watching a few other recent races i'm starting to figure what the hell is going on. A few things of note that stood out to me so far as I test the waters of sports car racing:

-Big Body Bentleys are the Best

-Earl Bamber is loving everywhere

-Safety cars breed safety cars

-Kangaroos should be standard on all courses

-Prototypes are fun but GT racing is #1 in my heart

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 11, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bloopsy posted:

Called it.

Watch Sebring in a few weeks.

If you're able, go to Sebring.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

So i'm completely new to motorsports and i've found i've got a hankerin' for sports car racing. Started watching some Goodwood videos on youtube recently which were cool, and then watched a few hours of the 24 hours of Daytona after it was a recommended video. Then I parked my rear end on the couch and ended up watching several hours straight of the Bathurst 12hr last week which was awesome to watch since i already knew that course well from years of Gran Turismo and Forza. All of the rules and different racing leagues are still fairly confusing but after watching a few other recent races i'm starting to figure what the hell is going on. A few things of note that stood out to me so far as I test the waters of sports car racing:

-Big Body Bentleys are the Best

-Earl Bamber is loving everywhere

-Safety cars breed safety cars

-Kangaroos should be standard on all courses

You got it pretty much

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

So i'm completely new to motorsports and i've found i've got a hankerin' for sports car racing.

If you want to see more of the sports cars that were at Bathurst (and also as the GTD class at Daytona), the YouTube channel for that group should have plenty of its live coverage and highlights still up from 2019: https://www.youtube.com/user/gt1world

It’s nothing but GT cars, and plenty of endurance races at famous tracks.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

iwentdoodie posted:

Called it.

Watch Sebring in a few weeks.

If you're able, go to Sebring.

Some friends and I have talked over the years about camping at a NASCAR event even though we have no interest in the sport at all. I'm going to try to get us to camp at Sebring next year, if the costs aren't too much.

Any podcasts I should listen to going forward? I listened to a few episodes of The Week in Sports Cars but given that I can listen to podcasts at work all day, I've got room for more.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bloopsy posted:

Some friends and I have talked over the years about camping at a NASCAR event even though we have no interest in the sport at all. I'm going to try to get us to camp at Sebring next year, if the costs aren't too much.

Any podcasts I should listen to going forward? I listened to a few episodes of The Week in Sports Cars but given that I can listen to podcasts at work all day, I've got room for more.

If you buy before thanksgiving it would be about 150 all in for a 4 day pass and parking (which is your campsite.) Making your own food is obviously cheaper but track food isnt bad or horribly priced. 24 packs of beer (tall boys) are 24 bucks.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bloopsy posted:

Midweek motorsport

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Bloopsy posted:

new thread title

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LamborghiniSC/status/1227199703286239235

When they say hypercar, do they mean WEC hypercar or 'hypercar' 🤔:thunk:

Edit: never mind it's just some lovely 'track day only' hypercar and not an actual lambo race car

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 11, 2020

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Child me would be incredibly disappointed that adult me does not give the slightest poo poo about an 800 horsepower exotic, but here we are

Seriously I’d rather have a 991.2 GT3 Touring than any supercar on the market. Make it forest green please

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1227245394968465408?s=20

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That could be real good, Alpine are historically a very strong team in P2.

Calderon is definitely the worry in that lineup, she was WELL off the pace, even of other Ams, in the Lamborghini at Daytona. Hopefully she does a little better in a downforce car.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 11, 2020

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Edge of points in F3 is solid enough pace for the Am driver in an ELMS car so she should be fine with some practice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Terrible news.
https://twitter.com/SnettertonMSV/status/1226788420888006656

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

VIR sends its condolences.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Calderon is going to Super Formula this year too, and I think she will struggle very badly.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Dagys says Rebellion’s done with racing. Well that fuckin’ sucks

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Perhaps this got brought up in the Nascar or F1 threads but I missed it. A few months ago David Hobbs was on the Dale Jr. podcast and it is an amazing listen

https://www.dalejr.com/radio/tdjd/ or your podcast app of choice

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Sweden has started, and the big deal this year is that there is no snow. Its apparently still cold enough that they don't cancel the rally, but it looks a lot like Finland at this point. I was at the rally last year, and the snow was marginal then too.
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrcplus/live-timing/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FxOMszeU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Who wants to go in with me in buying Juncos’ old Cadillac DPi? In seeking to pay homage to Cadillac’s storied history I was going to give it a Landau top, opera windows and the diesel engine from a Chevy Equinox