Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main thing to really blow cash on is drugs/booze since they are consumable. I think you can get more than enough cash to buy literally every non-consumable item in the game. I guess you could also slowly spend it all on your hotel bill every night although you'd have to be deliberately ignoring the free shack after day 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Those sneakers are expensive and really good. You can also buy hats and sunglasses, some knick knacks at the pawn shop. You can buy all the books and both games. After that I think it's just drugs and a dumb lamppost.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh interesting, thanks for the heads up yall. I did buy the pants from Cuno, but missed the sneakers and totally spaced on the dice maker as well. Good call.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Those sneakers are expensive and really good. You can also buy hats and sunglasses, some knick knacks at the pawn shop. You can buy all the books and both games. After that I think it's just drugs and a dumb lamppost.

There's not enough money in the game to buy the lamppost lamp. It is a contradiction of capitalism.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I really should have bought them so I could have had the full set.

Also who's the light bender?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main thing to really blow cash on is drugs/booze since they are consumable. I think you can get more than enough cash to buy literally every non-consumable item in the game. I guess you could also slowly spend it all on your hotel bill every night although you'd have to be deliberately ignoring the free shack after day 3.

It's dishonorable to accept free lodgings, and I did not publicly stick my thumb in my rectum to dishonor myself.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just finished my first playthrough of the game. Now I know as a matter of course there are things I didn't get to experience and things I missed but I figure if I missed them once I'll miss them on a second playthrough even if I don't do things exactly the same way.

As far as white checks go some of them felt absolutely essential to me. Then again I am intensely failure adverse.

I maxxed out my Rhetoric to get into the sealed cargo container. That was just raw, dripping curiosity though
What happens if I don't find the bullet in the merc's head? Or missed all the checks to get into the docks? Or failed to get the Hardie boys to give up Ruby's location?
Also, I did the 2mm hole in the world quest but couldn't finish it because I didn't know how to 'know' the pale

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ChrisBTY posted:

I just finished my first playthrough of the game. Now I know as a matter of course there are things I didn't get to experience and things I missed but I figure if I missed them once I'll miss them on a second playthrough even if I don't do things exactly the same way.

As far as white checks go some of them felt absolutely essential to me. Then again I am intensely failure adverse.

I maxxed out my Rhetoric to get into the sealed cargo container. That was just raw, dripping curiosity though
What happens if I don't find the bullet in the merc's head? Or missed all the checks to get into the docks? Or failed to get the Hardie boys to give up Ruby's location?
Also, I did the 2mm hole in the world quest but couldn't finish it because I didn't know how to 'know' the pale

Well, the Pale is a pretty important thing. You have to pass a conceptualization white check when talking to Joyce about what the world is. It's pretty interesting!

You can still solve the case without finding the bullet, it just adds another wrinkle to your back and forth thing with the Hardie Boys and Klaasje.

If you can't get past Measurehead or make the jump, you can steal a keycard from a sleeping dockworker from day 2 on, I believe. The only check in the game you are 100% required to make is the shivers check at the FELD building.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Begemot posted:

Well, the Pale is a pretty important thing. You have to pass a conceptualization white check when talking to Joyce about what the world is. It's pretty interesting!

You can still solve the case without finding the bullet, it just adds another wrinkle to your back and forth thing with the Hardie Boys and Klaasje.

If you can't get past Measurehead or make the jump, you can steal a keycard from a sleeping dockworker from day 2 on, I believe. The only check in the game you are 100% required to make is the shivers check at the FELD building.

The keycard only works for leaving. You still can't use it to get in. I was disappointed by this too.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I really felt like that particular issue needed more outs.

Hmmm...playthrough #2. Playthrough 1 was 4/4/2/2. Maybe 2/3/3/4.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dicemaker theme is the best song in the game imo

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick is now taking recommendations for a horrific necktie.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In hindsight a 2/3/3/4 build is awful for learning about the pale. So it's time to rewind my game a day or three. Big problem is I also have to put Jamais Vu in my thought cabinet but I devoted the day to...the quit drinking thought so I'm going to have to rewind quite a bit. Possibly all the way to the beginning of day 4. I wasted a lot of time thinking the Islets would just 'open' on day 5. Time to unwaste that time I guess

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the first day still. I hear stuff happens after certain days, but if I take my time, I won't miss anything. Except for maybe the quest to repay hotel damages. Am I interpreting things right?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Dr Christmas posted:

On the first day still. I hear stuff happens after certain days, but if I take my time, I won't miss anything. Except for maybe the quest to repay hotel damages. Am I interpreting things right?

There are a couple interactions that only pop up at a specific place and day, but it's nothing particularly significant if you happen to not stumble upon them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

UnknownMercenary posted:

The keycard only works for leaving. You still can't use it to get in. I was disappointed by this too.
That is incorrect. You might be thinking of the one in Evrart's office, which you naturally can't use for entering.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Xander77 posted:

That is incorrect. You might be thinking of the one in Evrart's office, which you naturally can't use for entering.

No, I'm not. Unless I had to equip it in my hand or something, the card I swiped from the sleeping dockworker didn't do anything and I had to go back and make the jump because I couldn't learn racism that playthrough.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
just started this game and i got a sweet new hat, a penchant for communism, and no stomach for corpses

game good

also possibly the first rpg I've played where you maybe don't want to click on every dialogue option? hiding the crazy seems like maybe a good strategy

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It is an option, but you are a police officer. People's options if you are weird or offensive are very limited. So, follow your heart. Play a role. :D

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

10-4 piercing the endless veil with my mind now, will report back

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

also possibly the first rpg I've played where you maybe don't want to click on every dialogue option? hiding the crazy seems like maybe a good strategy

You don't necessarily want to click every option. More so when talking with "yourself" than when talking to others.
Too much introspection might or might not end well for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tylana posted:

It is an option, but you are a police officer. People's options if you are weird or offensive are very limited. So, follow your heart. Play a role. :D

Yeah, there's a loading screen hint basically saying you can get away with saying weird poo poo because you are a figure of authority. In some cases, the weird poo poo is what they'll listen to.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You don't necessarily want to click every option. More so when talking with "yourself" than when talking to others.
Too much introspection might or might not end well for you.

yeah i already had a full on meltdown that I'm pretty sure i could have avoided, I'm very quickly realising you need to pick your actions carefully

or just embrace hobocop psychosis idk it all looks fun

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

this communism lark seems a bit extreme, talk of firing squads and all that, but i didn't see an option for sensible nordic-style social democracy achieved through electoral politics and incrementalist reforms so gently caress it, bring on the revolution babayy!

and also in the game

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

this communism lark seems a bit extreme, talk of firing squads and all that, but i didn't see an option for sensible nordic-style social democracy achieved through electoral politics and incrementalist reforms so gently caress it, bring on the revolution babayy!

and also in the game

Snrk. Notable, the detectives opinions on everything are relatively goofy and extreme. But the people you are talking to can be more nuanced.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

this communism lark seems a bit extreme, talk of firing squads and all that, but i didn't see an option for sensible nordic-style social democracy achieved through electoral politics and incrementalist reforms

You can become a moralist later which is pretty similar.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

had a dream about this game last night so i guess i should try to beat it again. last run petered out around when i talked to the lady from orangejuice for the second time, on the roof. i think i was 2/3/4/4? or something like that. thinking of going with an intellectual bodybuilder this time. or maybe a smart pickpocket. what do y’all think

itry
Aug 23, 2019

a fatguy baldspot posted:

had a dream about this game last night so i guess i should try to beat it again. last run petered out around when i talked to the lady from orangejuice for the second time, on the roof. i think i was 2/3/4/4? or something like that. thinking of going with an intellectual bodybuilder this time. or maybe a smart pickpocket. what do y’all think

Was it your first run? What didn't you like about your 2/3/4/4 cop?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

My best friends Interfacing, Perception and Reaction Speed never fail me.

I can't imagine doing a playthrough without at least 4 in Motorics now.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

DropsySufferer posted:

You can become a moralist later which is pretty similar.

p sure moralists just want the inflation rate slightly above 2% ze price stabilitié

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 8, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

itry posted:

Was it your first run? What didn't you like about your 2/3/4/4 cop?

yeah first run. nothing i didn’t like about them as far as i remember. just got sidetracked by irl stuff.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

on second thought i definitely disliked missing all the intelligence checks. but empathy seems super important too? character creation always trips me up in these games.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

on second thought i definitely disliked missing all the intelligence checks. but empathy seems super important too? character creation always trips me up in these games.

I found my 3/5/1/3 playthrough very engaging. It was an empathic sorry sober cop run.

High motorics / physique runs can be funnier.

If you desliked missing intelligence checks you could try a 5/2/3/2 (or 5/1/3/3) run, and be a high functioning Sherlock

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

isn’t there a mod or cheat to give yourself more stat points? i wouldn’t go overboard, i just want something like 6/3/3/5

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Failure is an important part of the experience too. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

isn’t there a mod or cheat to give yourself more stat points? i wouldn’t go overboard, i just want something like 6/3/3/5

Jack Trades posted:

Failure is an important part of the experience too. :colbert:

Yup.

There is a mod for a different stat distribution model. Where you can distribute your points freely, like D&D. Never tried it though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

alright fine i’m going 4/2/2/4. what should my signature skill be? last game it was authority and honestly i was pretty disappointed by it.

never mind i remembered that spirit de core owned

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2020

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You could also just learn Jamais Vu immediately (and have a highish int to offset -1 Encyclopedia) and then just be overflowing with points for everything.

But yes, failure is important to the experience. You won't see everything in 1 playthrough, and often failures are more interesting than successes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

alright fine i’m going 4/2/2/4. what should my signature skill be? last game it was authority and honestly i was pretty disappointed by it.

You probably didn't have enough points in Autority last time, but maybe try Reaction Speed? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't forget that you can signature one skill during the character creation and it doesn't have to be one that tied to the attribute you're good at.
For my first playthrough I went something like, 5/1/2/2 (don't remember exact numbers) with Interfacing as my signature.