Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, it's about time. Do you know if this was affected by the amount of resources the aliens had - does low resources prevent/discourage them from fielding high-tier units - or was this purely a case of :xcom: randomness?

And I know you've said you can win the game still on gauss weapons, but it looks like a ballsy play to me that we are still fielding them against a trap UFO.

They were all on the UFOs that were destroyed instead of shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, it's about time. Do you know if this was affected by the amount of resources the aliens had - does low resources prevent/discourage them from fielding high-tier units - or was this purely a case of :xcom: randomness?

And I know you've said you can win the game still on gauss weapons, but it looks like a ballsy play to me that we are still fielding them against a trap UFO.

Alien research is what determines which aliens are available for the aliens to deploy. I think that ethereals are still blacklisted from UFO missions until the Overseer UFO is captured.

The main effects of resources are: how many and what types of missions the aliens can run, the types of UFOs that they use to run them and how much meld you get per canister.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah funnily enough fair didn't see many ethereals because he was doing too well

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My doing well hurt me, but it shouldn't have been this bad. Ethereals can show up on UFO maps (one of the ethereals we've seen so far was on one, in fact). Just got really unlucky.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I think the reason they could see Pander through the MEC's was because you put them to his sides and not next to eachother. leaving an opening between the two MECs to see/shoot through. Nevertheless excellent work.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Let's finish this drat thing; I'm tired!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh shitt we goin bois

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Surprised that ship only has 14 aliens.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It would be an interesting challenge if it was like, 14 aliens but they were all max level, imo. It's not like you're going to be going into this with a weak squad anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was expecting every pod to have a boss in it. Or maybe a boss sectopod.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Another cloaked ship?"

"No, this is something else!"

(ship decloaks)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
30 days left? Whew, that's enough time for me, your MVP, to get out of the medbay

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Not before I do! My improbable ability to use a sniper rifle as a pistol may save humanity yet.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Kaishai posted:

Not before I do! My improbable ability to use a sniper rifle as a pistol may save humanity yet.

:toot: :hf: :blastu:

Let's get in on the final mission or die trying

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like one last chance to get in Intensive Care before humanity unlocks a way to heal all injuries within days.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if I'll get another mission before the campaign ends.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I wonder who the main protagonists would be if this LP was a long-running syndicated TV show?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

P4-S4 and X3LK-3LV05 would be played by the robot from Rocky IV.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sad King Billy posted:

I wonder who the main protagonists would be if this LP was a long-running syndicated TV show?

There would definitely be a season-long storyline about Adeline and Ted helping Scalding Coffee get over his crippling fear of getting shot.

I'll be sad when this is done too, I've enjoyed it so much.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Whoever that veteran pilot was that got smoked trying to down the Overseer: he got an offer to be on another show so I had to write him out of the plot.

Or maybe it'd be a Babylon 5 thing where the showrunner was forced to put a hotshot handsome pilot into the show, and he made sure to get the pilot killed and out of the show as soon as possible.

Anyway we're gonna take about a 1 week break after this episode. Not a health reason, for once. I'm going on vacation. I suspect we'll finish sometime around the end of the month.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm playing semi-parallel to this, and I don't know if it helps with the draught you faced, but I just was unable to stop the base defense mission. First turn I see, naturally:

So that's the fourth and fifth Ethereals for my game. Of course, it also means I'm going to have to suffer through the base defense. At least I pulled my two maxed out mecs for this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder if they see your HQ as some sort of museum?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You're so close to being the only person to have ever finished an LP of long war! On sa

Velius posted:

I'm playing semi-parallel to this, and I don't know if it helps with the draught you faced, but I just was unable to stop the base defense mission. First turn I see, naturally:

So that's the fourth and fifth Ethereals for my game. Of course, it also means I'm going to have to suffer through the base defense. At least I pulled my two maxed out mecs for this.

Man what did you do to piss the AI director off that badly that it would put two ethereals in your base assault

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

You're so close to being the only person to have ever finished an LP of long war! On sa

Man what did you do to piss the AI director off that badly that it would put two ethereals in your base assault

I got three! Actually the first wave was really easy, that screenshot is from before I took any actions beyond overwatch fire, and the ethereals never got an action. Later another ethereal dropped as part of a small wave before the mechtoids, and I wasn’t able to kill him since my team was still relocating. His one action was to mindfray someone, not the crazy lance attack or mind control.

Really the base assault wasn’t as bad as I’d feared. I think I got really lucky with damage rolls (21 damage critical with a pulse rifle on a mechtoid destroyer that hadn’t been shredded and without heat ammo, I’m not even remotely clear on how that’s possible) and which troops were available - I got both of my maxed out Mecs, an in the zone sniper and a bunch of assaults.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hope the Volunteer is Taslin. It would just feel right if one of our own got the role rather than the psyker the game gives you

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples posted:

I hope the Volunteer is Taslin. It would just feel right if one of our own got the role rather than the psyker the game gives you

It’s going to be whoever learns mind control first. I’m tired, man.

Long War is too long at the end.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The best EXALT can do, is to make use of their extra abilities working in the criminal underworld. They would make serious bank.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The best EXALT can do, is to make use of their extra abilities working in the criminal underworld. They would make serious bank.

I'm pretty sure those are just that Sectoid's pets.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

FairGame posted:

"Typhon gotta go. Can't have him killing our field commander..."

again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fairgame: "Great spot for a spawn, it's so hard not to aggro everything on the map at once and this spawn is the safest one. We should be good here."
*immediately aggros the entire map*

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Not that you're bitter or anything :ghost:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, I fell way behind. Gonna marathon the backlog from... yikes, December, and catch up so I can talk about all that I missed over the week-end. See you all again soon. Feel free to ominously reference any horrible things that happened for me to read after I'm done.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love that casual 30 damage crit on a Seeker in the previous episode. First time I've seen damage that high.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Competing with this par time is going to need some dangerous thinking. It’s time to double move into the fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

eating only apples posted:

Not that you're bitter or anything :ghost:

Does gear get lost with decesaed squad members, or do we now have a set of haunted armour?