Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

extremely my jam

no, they're blueberry tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

obi_ant posted:

When using my moka pot, the boil on the stove is pretty violent. How do I stop it from spitting out the coffee in this fashion? Is it my grind size or the size of my flame? I think my grind size is pretty good, considering I basically mimicked the grind that came with the coffee (also the suggested sizes here). How low should my flame be?

My smaller moka pot does that and it's newer meanwhile my 9 cup beast moka pot that's 30 years old doesn't do it but I replaced the gasket piece recently so maybe that's it

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I have beans that taste like blueberries and it's delicious and I never want it to end. :yum:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve had coffee that tastes of blueberry, and blueberries that taste of blueberry. But I’ve never had a tea taste like blueberry unless someone put blueberry in it with flavoring or dried fruit.

I am enjoying all these tea-tasting coffees though as they’re a new dimension of flavor and texture that you don’t get with tea or normally coffee either.

New things are often interesting, but not always good for everyone.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Kalsco posted:

I have beans that taste like blueberries and it's delicious and I never want it to end. :yum:

I have to, they were sold to me as 'Liberica' - I've never found them again.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I recently picked up a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar I espresso maker. I've been playing around with it and roasted some beans I had laying around yesterday. I'm terrible pulling shot but I expected that. What I can't explain is why the machine stops brewing after about 20 seconds? It doesn't matter if I have the portafilter is removed or if I have it stuffed with full of turkish grind; I hit the go button and it will stop after about 20 seconds.

Any ideas? Everything else seems to work great.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sounds like it's programmed to do a 20 second shot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The manual will explain how to adjust that programming; you should be able to find one online easily enough.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

bizwank posted:

Sounds like it's programmed to do a 20 second shot (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The manual will explain how to adjust that programming; you should be able to find one online easily enough.

Initial interneting didn't come up with anything hence why I asked here and I glossed right over it in the manual; I had no idea that the timing was programmable - but it is! Also, the pre-infusion had been turned off so I turned that back on. Those are the only two items that are programmable on the machine. It's working great now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This topic might be verboten here but does anybody have a go-to cheap grocery store brand of coffee? Times are tight and I really need to cut back on the $17 that most roasters around here sell their 12oz bags for, but I also don't want to waste even $5 on complete garbage. I usually use a v60 but if it'd be okay in am aeropress it'd be okay for me for weekdays so I can save the food poo poo for weekends where I can enjoy it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The $9 Mexican Chiapas at Trader Joe's wasn't the worst coffee I ever tasted. Be wary that I didn't see a roast date on it. Just a "best by" date which can mean anything.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I like cafe bustelo

mystes
May 31, 2006

RichterIX posted:

This topic might be verboten here but does anybody have a go-to cheap grocery store brand of coffee? Times are tight and I really need to cut back on the $17 that most roasters around here sell their 12oz bags for, but I also don't want to waste even $5 on complete garbage. I usually use a v60 but if it'd be okay in am aeropress it'd be okay for me for weekdays so I can save the food poo poo for weekends where I can enjoy it.
Any whole bean coffee that's close to the roasting date (and you can figure out the roasting date from the expiration date)? Even Walmart has their own cheap whole bean coffee that's just barely drinkable if it's fresh.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are the exp. dates usually a year out from the roast date? Also I just realized how many typos were in my original post gently caress

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

RichterIX posted:

I like Peet’s. They even have a roasted date on it and when it’s on sale I can get a bag for $6-7

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RichterIX posted:

Hate to say it but the Amazon fresh light roast really ain't bad.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

After using your espresso machine, where do you store the portafilter? I've noticed that leaving it locked in the group-head means that the group-head stays a bit damp, so I've resorted to leaving it on the drip-tray below. Is there a best practice? I'm using a semi-automatic Breville Bambino Plus if that makes a difference.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Supposedly the gasket can dry out and get damaged if the portafilter isn't stored in the grouphead. I don't know if that's true, but I haven't had any issues with locking in my portafilter in the last year+ I've had my Silvia.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mystes posted:

Any whole bean coffee that's close to the roasting date (and you can figure out the roasting date from the expiration date)? Even Walmart has their own cheap whole bean coffee that's just barely drinkable if it's fresh.

That might be regional, I can never find more than one brand of whole bean coffee at Walmart (Eight O'Clock, unless that's secretly theirs?)

Food Lion has a pretty decent store brand. However, my favorite by far is Aldi's Barissimo beans. There's not much variance in the roasts (I think they're both medium?) but their Honduras & Peru beans are my go-to when I'm not doing anything fancy. They tick all the boxes (organic, fair trade, single origin, etc.) and go for just $4.99 per 12oz bag.

https://www.aldireviewer.com/barissimo-fair-trade-single-origin-organic-coffee/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

That might be regional, I can never find more than one brand of whole bean coffee at Walmart (Eight O'Clock, unless that's secretly theirs?)

Food Lion has a pretty decent store brand. However, my favorite by far is Aldi's Barissimo beans. There's not much variance in the roasts (I think they're both medium?) but their Honduras & Peru beans are my go-to when I'm not doing anything fancy. They tick all the boxes (organic, fair trade, single origin, etc.) and go for just $4.99 per 12oz bag.

https://www.aldireviewer.com/barissimo-fair-trade-single-origin-organic-coffee/

8oclock is available everywhere so probably not Walmart's brand.

It was the recommendation to me for a first coffee to try getting whole beans of, and it worked out well for me for a while.

mystes
May 31, 2006

silvergoose posted:

8oclock is available everywhere so probably not Walmart's brand.

It was the recommendation to me for a first coffee to try getting whole beans of, and it worked out well for me for a while.
This stuff (in various varieties):

They might not have it everywhere and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can't get anything else, but if you have a coffee emergency and you happen to come across it when it seems to be relatively fresh it's tolerable.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 7, 2020

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Gunder posted:

After using your espresso machine, where do you store the portafilter? I've noticed that leaving it locked in the group-head means that the group-head stays a bit damp, so I've resorted to leaving it on the drip-tray below. Is there a best practice? I'm using a semi-automatic Breville Bambino Plus if that makes a difference.

I've never not kept the portafilter locked in the group head.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I was just saying 8oclock is definitely not Walmart brand.

On a different topic, my work has a lovely Boston coffee company machine which is undrinkable, and a Nespresso which is totally fine.

Except the procurement guy noticed some single origin new things and asked for a box of each to try and the Brazil espresso is really loving good. Anyone tried that, or the lungo Guatamala, or the ristretto Indian?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

porktree posted:

I've never not kept the portafilter locked in the group head.

Same. I did this for about 5 years with a Breville unit and now about 5 years with a Silvia. I haven’t had a single issue.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I was just saying 8oclock is definitely not Walmart brand.

On a different topic, my work has a lovely Boston coffee company machine which is undrinkable, and a Nespresso which is totally fine.

Except the procurement guy noticed some single origin new things and asked for a box of each to try and the Brazil espresso is really loving good. Anyone tried that, or the lungo Guatamala, or the ristretto Indian?

Nespresso is legit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's better than Starbucks and most Peet's. I'll give it that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sextro posted:

Nespresso is legit.

Yeah I know I'm asking about this new single origin stuff!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I know I'm asking about this new single origin stuff!

To expound further: Generally Nespresso products are as advertised, including their single origins and various blends. They're all going to show a tendency to be on the darker side, and not quite as much texture as what you would get from a cafe, but still enjoyable and good especially considering how much work it would be otherwise to have nespresso at home. Also Colonna Coffee makes great pods too.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

For general purpose coffee I find Costco Signature brands are decent. They will also do single origin speciality stuff too. You usually get 2-3lbs for around $15 bucks.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There seems to be quite a lot of confusing information about exactly what constitutes a proper shot of espresso. I’ve been pulling 60ml shots through 18g of coffee. Is that a reasonable thing to do? It tastes pretty good. Some places seem to call this ratio a double, while others call it a single. It’s confusing!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the coffee shops in the US just created their own ratios. A traditional italian espresso shot is 7g coffee to ~25g espresso liquid. But we like stronger and brighter flavors so we pack in 18g coffee and output like 30g of espresso.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If I was looking to get a grinder for Espresso, how would the Baratza Sette 270 be? It seems to be well-reviewed, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with one first.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gunder posted:

If I was looking to get a grinder for Espresso, how would the Baratza Sette 270 be? It seems to be well-reviewed, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with one first.

I haven't used the Sette, but Baratza is quality poo poo. You'd be able to function with a scale and an Encore and save a few hundred bucks, though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I haven't used the Sette, but Baratza is quality poo poo. You'd be able to function with a scale and an Encore and save a few hundred bucks, though.

It was my understanding that to properly dial in an espresso machine, you needed to be able to make adjustments that would be too small for something like an Encore?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gunder posted:

It was my understanding that to properly dial in an espresso machine, you needed to be able to make adjustments that would be too small for something like an Encore?

It varies depending on the coffee. Some beans you won't be happy with unless you can really dial in your exact brew. Others will make perfectly delicious cups with wide margins on all aspects of the brewing. Generally more delicious and interesting beans are more difficult and finicky to brew. I find "generic chocolate and nuts" style espresso to basically come out great so long as you don't totally gently caress it up.

I also would at the very least go for the virtuoso+ over the encore for the improved burrs and gearset. Or at least upgrade the burrs on an encore. But if you know you want to chase down lighter/single origins from high altitudes/etc. Then yeah the sette is going to be a good buy. Worth considering is a vario, or looking into refurbed commercial units like a k30. But that's getting significantly more expensive than the base sette.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Gunder posted:

I love my sete, I’m a huge amateur at this espresso thing but it does a great job grinds wise.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The Sette is one of the best bang for your buck grinders for espresso. I picked one up about 6 months or so back. Grinds super fast, though pretty loud and had a ton of adjustments. Grinds come out very even and not clumpy. It does make a little bit of a mess when you use it because of how powerful it is. The grounds come out really quick and usually some scatter around the outside of the portafilter and onto the counter. Not enough for me to really care though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I posted here quite a bit about my Sette. It was horrible. Maybe they e gotten better since then?

But be warned: the Sette is LOUD

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone messed around with a Cafelat Robot manual espresso maker? I've got a LIDO E and thinking of getting back into espresso after my first failed foray into it with the original Flaire.

I didn't have the Lido E at the time so I think it will make a big difference this time around.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I posted here quite a bit about my Sette. It was horrible. Maybe they e gotten better since then?

But be warned: the Sette is LOUD

I’m pretty sure I read that they worked through the early QC issues. Your experience did worry me when I was looking at it, but most recent reviews of it were basically all overwhelmingly positive. I haven’t had a single issue with mine since I bought it.

But yeah, it is quite drat loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

curried lamb of God posted:

Thanks man! I'll probably get the Mignon and pair it with a hand grinder of some sort for Aeropress.

Update: I bought a previous-gen Lelit Anna w/PID from Craigslist for $200 last week and just ordered the Specialita grinder. Can't wait to toy with this setup!