Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually agree, which is partly why I think QC is so lovely imo.

I have both new MBP and iPad Pro w/keyboard at work and one is always poo poo and one is perfect. If I didn’t have bits and pieces of software I needed the laptop for I’d probably just hand it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah for sure. macOS is clearly in the backseat and the fact that iPadOS is important enough to be separated out from iOS is a big indicator too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gotta agree with John Fireball and half the planet when they say Apple software sucks.

Catalina, super stupid and buggy (ask anybody with an LG 5K monitor or a Mac Mini using the HDMI port and monitors at nonstandard resolutions,) iOS where no one trusts x.0 releases and always wait for the x.xx.1 releases and Apple is right there to cut off the previous releases but not there when people scream about mission critical bugs that keep people from getting their poo poo done.

Still not even confident to get a new mid range 13-inch when they finally get the good scissor keyboards because of how crappy the underlying OS is- and remember, every new model that comes out now will come with Catalina, not Mojave, and it won't be possible to downgrade either.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

FAN issues

If you use the computer, it will get hot. News at ten

Macrumors has a ridiculous thread about it as well with people returning their machines because the fans come on

I mean, reading the OP in that link, it sounded as if the GPU has suffered thermal damage as a result of some not unreasonable use cases. Laptop gets hot under sustained heavy use is normal. New laptop fries its GPU under somewhat heavy normal use is not.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Gotta agree with John Fireball and half the planet when they say Apple software sucks.

Catalina, super stupid and buggy (ask anybody with an LG 5K monitor or a Mac Mini using the HDMI port and monitors at nonstandard resolutions,) iOS where no one trusts x.0 releases and always wait for the x.xx.1 releases and Apple is right there to cut off the previous releases but not there when people scream about mission critical bugs that keep people from getting their poo poo done.

Still not even confident to get a new mid range 13-inch when they finally get the good scissor keyboards because of how crappy the underlying OS is- and remember, every new model that comes out now will come with Catalina, not Mojave, and it won't be possible to downgrade either.

I‘d emptyquote this if it wasn’t against the rules.

The 16“ is a big step in the right direction but what good is that if the next OS release turns out to be even buggier than Catalina and proprietary hardware like the T2 chip/SSD controller/Touchbar effectively locks you out of running other OSes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

eames posted:

I‘d emptyquote this if it wasn’t against the rules.

The 16“ is a big step in the right direction but what good is that if the next OS release turns out to be even buggier than Catalina and proprietary hardware like the T2 chip/SSD controller/Touchbar effectively locks you out of running other OSes.

Sure, Apple went a little overboard on the privacy settings in Catalina, but there's no way they're going to lock people out of running other OSes. Apple's improved video encoding and faster SSD speeds make the T2 and SSD controller worth it.

Also, I know every American hates the touchbar, but I'm amazed at how useful it is for international students who type Japanese/Chinese characters using their touchbar. It really is more functional - there's nothing stopping power users from creating their own custom function keys (which are better suited on the home row, anyways).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i actually like the touchbar now and use it now that i have btt-goldenchaos on it - works like a nice little do it all notification tray while i'm on my computer

eames
May 9, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

Sure, Apple went a little overboard on the privacy settings in Catalina, but there's no way they're going to lock people out of running other OSes. Apple's improved video encoding and faster SSD speeds make the T2 and SSD controller worth it.

Maybe I am misinformed then, is it possible to boot Linux off the internal, T2 controlled SSD these days?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The touch bar lets me access a bunch of shortcuts while in focus mode in Word and that's pretty cool

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

eames posted:

Maybe I am misinformed then, is it possible to boot Linux off the internal, T2 controlled SSD these days?

Linux 5.4 added NVMe support for modern MacBooks. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.3-MacBook-Key-Trackpads

Apple doesn't directly provide Linux drivers, but this Github project is working to bring full MBP hardware support to Linux

I mostly just run everything in vms nowadays.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 8, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eames posted:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/11/apple-t2-chip-cant-boot-linux

It's possible with caveats..

https://github.com/mikeeq/mbp-fedora

This guy has Fedora running on a T2 machine.

On T2-based machines I'm pretty sure that you have to disable Boot Security for any of the Linux-es to work, as I doubt any flavor of Linux is on Apple's approved OS list.

I've little doubt that the Linux on Macs folks will eventually get Linux to support enough of the built-in technologies on post 2016 Macs to make it worth their while, it's all reverse engineering, after all.

I'm sure the Windows 10 Linux Subsystem gives Apple nightmares, enough that they probably just mutter to customers 'eh just use loving VMWare / Parallels you schmucks' and leave it at that, but if they ever change their minds that would be something I think that would be actually loving useful to implement in macOS instead of bullshit like Catalyst that half-works and needs work.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 8, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Microsoft signs Secure Boot keys for nix distros don’t they? Because boards come with MS keys.

Don’t see why Apple can’t sign trusted distros for their T2.

Maybe it’s because Microsoft is now the pleasant corporate neighbour supporting open source and Apple is the one with the post-modern monstrosity corner house with three Benzes (without plates) out front.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah microsoft is the "pleasant neighbor" that bakes up open sores projects in their spare time and keeps blowing up their garage while making the whole block smell like sewage somehow

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

.NET Core is loving awesome though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Last Chance posted:

open sores projects in their spare time

pardon?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wouldn't mind the touchbar at all if it weren't for the weird sensitivity. Often times, I'll tap it, the virtual button will give visual feedback, but nothing happens. Makes me second guess every interaction with it, and that sucks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

enojy posted:

I wouldn't mind the touchbar at all if it weren't for the weird sensitivity. Often times, I'll tap it, the virtual button will give visual feedback, but nothing happens. Makes me second guess every interaction with it, and that sucks.

This is my gripe about the force-touch trackpad more than about the touchbar, tbh.

Usually, USUALLY, it clicks fine and it's indistinguishable from a hardware click. But a good portion of the time, maybe like once in 20 or 30 clicks, it just doesn't register a click and my thumb presses down on what is revealed in its obviousness as a rigid piece of plastic without any click happening, and the cursor wiggles around and screws up my selection or whatever precision thing I was pointing at. It's jarring as gently caress and takes me out of the illusion something fierce.

I've pretty much made my peace with all the things I used to love that the modern MPB has made extinct, like matte screens, physical volume keys, MagSafe, etc. especially since they've backed off on the butterfly keyboard poo poo and the un-finger-locatable arrow keys. But the one thing I would change about modern MBPs that I know they never will is the drat trackpad.

It's too fuckin big too, I can't type without my left thumb resting on the trackpad's upper left corner and screwing up the tracking.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

This is my gripe about the force-touch trackpad more than about the touchbar, tbh.

Usually, USUALLY, it clicks fine and it's indistinguishable from a hardware click. But a good portion of the time, maybe like once in 20 or 30 clicks, it just doesn't register a click and my thumb presses down on what is revealed in its obviousness as a rigid piece of plastic without any click happening, and the cursor wiggles around and screws up my selection or whatever precision thing I was pointing at. It's jarring as gently caress and takes me out of the illusion something fierce.

I've pretty much made my peace with all the things I used to love that the modern MPB has made extinct, like matte screens, physical volume keys, MagSafe, etc. especially since they've backed off on the butterfly keyboard poo poo and the un-finger-locatable arrow keys. But the one thing I would change about modern MBPs that I know they never will is the drat trackpad.

It's too fuckin big too, I can't type without my left thumb resting on the trackpad's upper left corner and screwing up the tracking.

You click with your thumb?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Speaking of buggy and quality control. I have a new 16" still within the return window.
Since day one, it has not properly resumed from sleep. It just restarts.

I was about to exchange it when I tried one more thing which ended up resolving the problem.
I turned off 'unlock with Apple Watch'. And that seems to have "fixed" it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tuyop posted:

You click with your thumb?

Yeah I eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast too

No seriously, wth else am I supposed to click with, my elbow?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I eat pieces of poo poo for breakfast too

No seriously, wth else am I supposed to click with, my elbow?

The other four digits on your hand?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hekk posted:

The other four digits on your hand?

Those go on the keyboard.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I think we just discovered a new version of wiping standing up vs sitting down

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I dunno about you folks but

This seems like a fairly reasonable orientation for a human being to put their hand on a laptop

Now I suppose I'm about to discover I'm some kind of mutant, what, I put my hand on the computer palm side DOWN?????

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh my god what why

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I mean I dunno about you folks but

This seems like a fairly reasonable orientation for a human being to put their hand on a laptop

Now I suppose I'm about to discover I'm some kind of mutant, what, I put my hand on the computer palm side DOWN?????

i usually put my palms on the palm rests but thats just me

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I guess I could click with my fingertips, but that means (unless I'm going to start moving my hand a whole lot more distance during typical typing/clicking maneuvers than I'm used to) using the top portion of the trackpad as a clicking surface, and traditionally (i.e. with the pre-force-touch trackpad in the photo) it's clearly hinged at the top and clicking near the bottom edge is much easier / more sensitive. So I've always been in the habit of using the side of my thumb to click because it's right there.

I suppose in this brave new world where Apple's modern designers operate around the assumption that nobody would ever click in any way but jamming their fingertips down on the trackpad (which doesn't feel as nice to me but whatever), I'm once again the oddball with the corner case

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do you scroll with both thumbs?

EDIT: wow, that is hard to get to work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, I scroll with my fingertips.

I use my thumb for clicking (and clicking only) because it uses the bottom of the trackpad for what was once a physical movement (and still is, on my daily driver). But again, if that's just a grandfathered habit, I'll work on weaning off of it, at least on the newer machines, especially if that's what's to blame for the software acting so finicky.

I got used to "natural scroll direction" after all, which others I know never have and still fly into a rage whenever they try to use my computer which has it set in that direction, so I can get used to this, or at least it's worth a try

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thumb-clicker here

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The asdf row is called the home row for a reason. I rarely move my hands away from it on a laptop.

Thumb clickaz itt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get a thinkpad, the computer specifically designed for you weirdos

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

Get a thinkpad, the computer specifically designed for you weirdos

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol @ all the people confused by someone using the trackpad with the digit closest to it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Thumb-clicker here

Saluting the av/post combo :thumbsup:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I really wish Apple would hurry up with the 13" MBP update.

I'm assuming the 15"/16" MBP is unwieldy if you need an actual portable machine, yes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's huge. I'm using a 14" Thinkpad and it feels vastly smaller. If they update the 13" Air this year I'm getting it immediately.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I clicked with my thumb when I had one of those trackpads with buttons on the button, but just pressing slightly is way better and doesn’t mess with the trackpad’s algorithms or whatever it does to cancel out extra digits. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I actually had an ok time using my 16" MBP in coach on a couple United flights last week

It's a little unwieldy but the screen real estate makes it far less of a pain to work on in a hotel room than the 13"