Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

madeintaipei posted:

BMW figured this out in the early '90s. Can't break the doors if they stay in the vehicle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLGMQ6WG9Kc
:shlick:

Oh, I didn't realize the dumbass in the Tesla was a douchewad with a car elevator or whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0nUwmZhrc

vVv
It's a McMansion garage with a vaulted ceiling.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Is that garage just dumb big, or is it the fisheye on the lens that's loving me up?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

You like that? Someone built a similar concept for the Lincoln MK VIII (a very 90's, and much underrated, car itself):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDob_IM4ds

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Scissor doors are superior to gullwings anyways. All the ego inflating, over-elaborate mechanism, none of the downsides *hits door on low ceiling*.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ryonguy posted:

Scissor doors are superior to gullwings anyways. All the ego inflating, over-elaborate mechanism, none of the downsides *hits door on low ceiling*.

The Countach was my dream car when I was a kid :agreed:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The other half of automatic seatbelts was the decidedly non-automatic lap belt that no one ever buckled, ever. Which made to shoulder belt useless because the lap belt absorbs most of the momentum.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

The other half of automatic seatbelts was the decidedly non-automatic lap belt that no one ever buckled, ever. Which made to shoulder belt useless because the lap belt absorbs most of the momentum.

I think "Submarining" is the term used for what happens in a crash. Remember to leave lots of space for your spine in the footwell.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The Countach was my dream car when I was a kid :agreed:
I am forever a Lambo over Ferrari guy because Lamborghini told Ferrari about some problems his car had, Ferrari told him to gently caress off because he just made tractors not sports cars, and Lamborghini's response was to start a sports car company. Apocryphal obviously, but still funny.

rndmnmbr posted:

Nah, the other half of them is the fact they broke fast as hell leaving you with a second belt to buckle until you sold the car.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
One time in the early/mid 90s, my mom had a Toyota Tercel for a few days, as a courtesy vehicle from the shop. That thing had these weird non automatic shoulder belts that were completely separate from the lap belt.

You could unbuckle them, but it involved awkwardly reaching over your shoulder. So I think what you were supposed to do was leave them in place and squirm under the fixed shoulder belts, and then fasten your lap belt. It seems an awful lot more awkward and complicated than just a 3-point seatbelt, but who knows.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Capn Jobe posted:

One time in the early/mid 90s, my mom had a Toyota Tercel for a few days, as a courtesy vehicle from the shop. That thing had these weird non automatic shoulder belts that were completely separate from the lap belt.

You could unbuckle them, but it involved awkwardly reaching over your shoulder. So I think what you were supposed to do was leave them in place and squirm under the fixed shoulder belts, and then fasten your lap belt. It seems an awful lot more awkward and complicated than just a 3-point seatbelt, but who knows.

No-one will ever understand the automated shoulder belt. You still had to buckle the lap so it helped nothing. Maybe it was so you could disconnect the shoulder and just wear the lap? You could unclip the shoulder and go without too. They also fitted really poorly so they were uncomfortable. Was it because people would buckle the lap and leave the shoulder behind themselves? I truly don't know.

They're all gone now I guess so no reason to worry about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They also never fit right, they could rub a raw spot on your neck/shoulder on a long trip

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Alicia Silverstone STILL looks like that btw.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Angus wasn't any good right? I remember seeing some ads and thinking it looked alright, but then it was just like totally buried. It never even got nostalgia airtime and our generation will revivify loving anything.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ebert liked it. Or, at least, he liked that it had a chunky kid as the protagonist.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

All I associate with it was Green Day’s first single after Dookie. And Ariana Richards, since she looked like a girl I had a crush on at the time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Airheads was a movie that was better than it had any right to be.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Randaconda posted:

They also never fit right, they could rub a raw spot on your neck/shoulder on a long trip

Really haven't seen much of these since the 90s:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wacky Delly posted:

Airheads was a movie that was better than it had any right to be.

yeah, Airheads was legit good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Randaconda posted:

yeah, Airheads was legit good

:same:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

drat, I loved that series. Hard to find a children's cartoon that was serialized like that was back then (at least for American animation.) They kept track of how many treasures they found, and even had a point where they went back and used the half or so they had to fend of the Dark Water on one half of the ocean, but then the series ended before they collected all of them.

But it's also too bad it had the same trend as so many other 80's and 90's cartoons with the really annoying talking animal. Here, it was a monkey bird...Conan had the baby phoenix, we are all too aware of Snarf from Thundercats, etc...

dialhforhero posted:

Alicia Silverstone STILL looks like that btw.

Too bad about the crazy. She's not only an anti-vaxxer, but also at one point decided diapers were bad so her baby "free pooped" or whatever, and she claimed she sometimes fed him "baby bird" style by pre-chewing food.

But yeah, she's got a portrait slowly getting older in the same attic Keanu Reeves keeps his.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mind the walrus posted:

Angus wasn't any good right? I remember seeing some ads and thinking it looked alright, but then it was just like totally buried. It never even got nostalgia airtime and our generation will revivify loving anything.

I thought it was pretty decent, I think it didn’t have enough HYUK HYUK WACKY HIJINKS to be really popular with the teen nostalgia crowd, and the soundtrack was too loud and marketing wrong for the art-house FEELINGS set.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was reminded how before CD roms became common place for computers how many disks games and other programs would come on.

My first computer came with MS Office and I swear that thing was like 25 disks. Nothing like getting a new game, ripping off the packaging opening it up and seeing a dozen or more 3.5s. Have fun sitting around waiting to swap disks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

I was reminded how before CD roms became common place for computers how many disks games and other programs would come on.

My first computer came with MS Office and I swear that thing was like 25 disks. Nothing like getting a new game, ripping off the packaging opening it up and seeing a dozen or more 3.5s. Have fun sitting around waiting to swap disks!

I remember a friend having one of those early CD-ROM drives that had a little cartridge case you eject and put the disk into, rather than the far better tray design.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Not jitat! I watched that as often as I could as a kid. Even when mom briefly decided it was new age occult something-or-other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I remember a friend having one of those early CD-ROM drives that had a little cartridge case you eject and put the disk into, rather than the far better tray design.

I talked about this in the Old tech thread but I have a friend who in the 90s made his entire computer SCSI because that was the only way it could be as fast as he wanted. The only CDRom he could find that was SCSI had the caddy. He though "Oh I'll just buy a bunch of these and keep my games in them on a shelf" only to discover the caddies were like 20bux each.

This would have 1996 or 7 so at that point the tiny speed boost that SCSI would give you was pretty tiny for home useage.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Just 2 days ago someone posted a supercut of 90s CGI animations for use in bowling alleys and, oh man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqWcDJ2v2U

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Just 2 days ago someone posted a supercut of 90s CGI animations for use in bowling alleys and, oh man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqWcDJ2v2U

Oh man. I was just bowling this weekend and I was super disappointed that they did not have these animations in their system.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

mind the walrus posted:

Soundtrack was very good, movie was OK.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Angus was okay, but I still enjoy it as a teen film. It plays up the "good guy gets the girl" trope a bit and comes off as a long after-school special, but otherwise enjoyable.

Unsurprisingly, I also liked the movie "Loser", but that was a mid-2000s film.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Angus looks like Fred : Before Fred.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It seems this was around since before the 90s, but I remember it being a staple of my middle school years circa 1990-1993ish.

Redass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butts_Up

https://nationalpost.com/life/how-schoolyard-games-from-our-childhood-are-still-alive-and-kicking-on-the-playground-today

Its been a while since I played but as I recall, the way we played, was that if you were "out" and had to stand against the wall, you had to face the throwers, instead of facing away. You were allowed to cover your face, or your nuts. Not both. Most people covered their faces, so naturally, we all tried to hit everyone in the nuts/dick.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

wesleywillis posted:

It seems this was around since before the 90s, but I remember it being a staple of my middle school years circa 1990-1993ish.

Redass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butts_Up

https://nationalpost.com/life/how-schoolyard-games-from-our-childhood-are-still-alive-and-kicking-on-the-playground-today

Its been a while since I played but as I recall, the way we played, was that if you were "out" and had to stand against the wall, you had to face the throwers, instead of facing away. You were allowed to cover your face, or your nuts. Not both. Most people covered their faces, so naturally, we all tried to hit everyone in the nuts/dick.

I haven't thought of this game in a long long time. We played the hell out of it in 5th and 6th grade. The recess monitors banned players having to face the players iirc, but that didn't stop us from trying to play that way anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For whatever reason we called the recess monitors "duties" (or "duty" in singular)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

That sounds very British

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

That sounds very British

Nope, Greater Seattle Area

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

That sounds very British

If it was British, he'd be talking about how they called students with authority over other students at breaktime "prefects"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I definitely remember this game as Wallball, but we always played without pegging (hitting the runner) and with no "line up against the wall" rule.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Neito posted:

I definitely remember this game as Wallball, but we always played without pegging (hitting the runner) and with no "line up against the wall" rule.

Sissy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

(1994)