Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Iris Plus G7 --> MX150/250 --> 1650 Max-Q. There are 13" options with an MX150/250 that fill the gap between the Iris Plus G7 and Stealth 1650MQ, so if the G7 performance is not to your liking, you don't have to jump straight to the $1800 Stealth.

(Edit: I see it's on sale at $1500, that's actually much more compelling)

I think that whether you 'need' the Stealth 1650MQ depends on what games you plan to play while on the go. If it's literally only WoW and Civ, you can probably get an MX150/250 laptop and be happy, but I'd doublecheck benchmarks first.

Also, how important the size is to you. Do you absolutely need it to be this tiny? Do you travel all the time, or just like once a month? If you go up to 14-inches, your options open up and at lower prices.

For the Stealth 1650MQ, as just some information, there are 2 real 'knocks':

1) The screen is pretty bad for gaming; it's got a high response time and so if you're sensitive to ghosting and blur you'll definitely notice it. Edit 2: This will likely be an issue across all 13" laptops, by the way, as there aren't any 13" gaming panels.

2) When you game, the CPU downclocks heavily. How important this is to you depends on the type of games you play, but it'll hurt BFV performance significantly, for example, since that game eats CPUs for breakfast.

(You can get around this with a custom bios actually, but then you have to deal with the heat. But there's probably a happy compromise in between the hyperaggressive throttling Razer gives you, and going full-tilt, using software like Throttlestop to meet somewhere in the middle. With that said, flashing a custom bios probably voids your warranty.)

Appreciate this post!

Yeah, it being on sale is what's driving me to it. The G7 model at $1k is actually really nice, especially compared to the new XPS 13 equivalent but I think it'd be nice to get more performance than that.

That said, I really do understand that the 13" form factor is limiting when it comes to overall performance. I think where I'm coming from is I spent like 5 years on a MBP 13" and really fell in love with the form factor. I imagine the 14" isn't materially THAT different; however, I have a 15" MBP for work and am really put off by its size.

Good call on the ghosting for the panel, definitely aware I won't be getting the quality I have from my desktop setup and I'm fine with those tradeoffs for portability. I do travel about once a month for work and want something I can throw in my bag alongside my work machine. Probably won't be pushing HUGE AAA titles on this while out (I barely play those as is). More of an Overwatch player (fun, not competitive) than say a Battlefield or COD person.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Similarly, I would think that this would harm Civ performance as well as Civ IS one of those CPU-chewing games.

Yeah it definitely is, I was just using it as an example of graphic intensiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I kindve wish Dell would do a 14" in the size of a 13 with a little bit more oomph than the 13" the size of an 11 can support.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 8, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ilkhan posted:

I kindve wish sell would do a 14" in the size of a 13 with a little bit more oomph than the 13" the size of an 11 can support.

latitude line could be interesting in this regard

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

For those interested in ultraportable gaming, the announced asus g14 could be interesting. It's bigger than the blade stealth (like 12.8x9 and 3.6 pounds), but if you can live with the extra size it will have options for a low power 2060 variant, 8c16t zen2, and a 1080p144 panel with vrr. A lot will hinge on how good the cooling is though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I truly can't wait for more of these to come out. When Razer did the 1650 in a blade chassis I thought it was going to be awhile before we saw much headway in this arena tbh.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

VorpalFish posted:

For those interested in ultraportable gaming, the announced asus g14 could be interesting. It's bigger than the blade stealth (like 12.8x9 and 3.6 pounds), but if you can live with the extra size it will have options for a low power 2060 variant, 8c16t zen2, and a 1080p144 panel with vrr. A lot will hinge on how good the cooling is though.

It also is showcasing some LED light show thing on the lid of the monitor so show off the nerd cred... Oh god.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I've been checking almost every day since CES2020 for the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 to have its price announced and for places to begin taking orders. I believe that, unlike the MSI Prestige 14, this one will actually be widely reviewed.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ashrik posted:

I've been checking almost every day since CES2020 for the Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 to have its price announced and for places to begin taking orders. I believe that, unlike the MSI Prestige 14, this one will actually be widely reviewed.

I'm pretty sure I watched some prestige 14 reviews. I believe consensus was the cooling is insufficient.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Okay, first time posting in this thread. I apologise in advance if anything is inappropriate to ask.

I'm in the UK and looking to buy a gaming laptop in the £750-£850 price range. I've mainly used my PS4 for gaming as the laptops I've had have always been low spec GPUs or onboard graphics only. I'm not a competitive gamer at all, and I'd like to play RPGs and my Steam backlog primarily. Due to space limitations at home, a desktop isn't really an option for me.

I've looked at some online deals but there's a lot of variation in specs, and I don't know the extent to which a difference between, say, a 1050 and a 1650 would be noticeable in action for me. Am I an idiot for wanting to overspec?!

I have found a refurbished HP Pavilion 17 with what looks like an excellent processor, GPU and storage, but with piddly RAM. Reviews describe it as decent with low noise (which is a huge appeal) but a warm running temperature. I was considering taking the 16GB of RAM out of my old 'died of mystery causes but probably motherboard failure' HP Satellite and replacing the 8GB this would come with. Is this a dumb and risky idea in itself, and is this worth it or should I go with one of the other more established budget gaming brands instead?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Is this something that the thread would recommend for technically inclined people? If running my CPU at 0.125V less than default will result in substantially cooler temperatures and better laptop health, I’m all for doing it myself.

Yes it is most definitely recommended; at a minimum download HWInfo and check your temperatures and CPU sensors. That's kind of my point, your average consumer and myself more technically advanced I would say included, was not aware the stock CPU has hosed voltage levels or that updating BIOS possibly even through an automatic Windows update could have the temperatures to wacked out high temp levels with throttling. With the built in Lenovo/laptop company utility to do things like "Thermal Mode" I mentioned etc, if Throttlestop has it that easily changed then these million dollar corporations need to have the same capability stock with the settings tweaked to actually function on cautious side.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

VorpalFish posted:

I'm pretty sure I watched some prestige 14 reviews. I believe consensus was the cooling is insufficient.

Yes, I know they are out there but I very much meant "widely reviewed" when I wrote it. More video reviews from "content creators" exist than written ones from hardware people. If you were trying to find the battery life of the i7 1080p model from an outfit that compared gaming vs videos vs web browsing, you'd have some difficulty (i7 4k panel was the one typically reviewed). If you wanted to see something from a person who played with the performance modes, undervolted, or even re-pasted- in increasing order of rarity on even the most popular models- you're basically stuck with individual reddit posts.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 10, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Looking at this fine model for light work use -- mainly I need a Windows PC for a few apps to supplement my Pixelbook. $313 on Amazon:

Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L

The SSD is small but that's not really important, and I can upgrade the RAM immediately which I guess means an extra $30 for 8GB more. I understand the machine does not have great build quality but the screen is decent for a real cheap laptop. I don't plan to play any 3D games.

Only thing giving me pause is "Windows 10 in S Mode". It sounds like you start in the S Mode and can't do anything you want but you can freely switch to normal Windows 10? If I have this right that's fine but I wanted to make sure.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Only thing giving me pause is "Windows 10 in S Mode". It sounds like you start in the S Mode and can't do anything you want but you can freely switch to normal Windows 10? If I have this right that's fine but I wanted to make sure.
Yeah you can do the free switch first thing, like a sane person. This doesn't require a reinstall or anything, but you need a Microsoft account. They won't let you otherwise. Not even with a clean install.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah you can do the free switch first thing, like a sane person. This doesn't require a reinstall or anything, but you need a Microsoft account. They won't let you otherwise. Not even with a clean install.

I have one of those but jesus what were they thinking?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have one of those but jesus what were they thinking?

Microsoft as a service is their business model and this requires an account

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Looking at this fine model for light work use -- mainly I need a Windows PC for a few apps to supplement my Pixelbook. $313 on Amazon:

Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L

The SSD is small but that's not really important, and I can upgrade the RAM immediately which I guess means an extra $30 for 8GB more. I understand the machine does not have great build quality but the screen is decent for a real cheap laptop. I don't plan to play any 3D games.

I did a review of that exact model in this thread a few months back, if you want to check my post history here. Build quality is actually quite good, especially for the price. I can't recall any specific hardware complaints, it's just very much not a gaming laptop, despite the presence of the ~AMD APU~. :rolleyes:

My only real disappointment was with the RAM situation; when upgraded to at least 8 GB it automatically reserves 2 GB for VRAM which is overkill for such a weak GPU, leaving you with only 6 GB usable system RAM with no way to change the allocation like on plenty of Intel systems I've used over the years. I'd have been happier with, say, 0.5-1 GB VRAM allocation and the rest for OS use. On top of that, because it's such a cheap, entry-level laptop (that is nevertheless quite good and definitely worth the price) I don't think replacing the included 4 GB module and upgrading all the way to 16 GB makes sense. Your only real option is to add 8 GB like you mentioned, which should put it in a "flex mode" (or whatever they call it) configuration that operates in dual-channel mode up to the limit of that final 4 GB chunk in the larger module (but I have no way of knowing if the 2 GB VRAM is in the dual-channel portion!) This would leave you with 10 GB of usable system RAM, which is plenty.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Seems like every time I come into this thread asking for laptop recommendations I end up not buying one.

I’m looking for a new laptop again. My budget is about $2500, but I can go higher if I need to.

Is the Dell XPS 15 Touch worth it? This is gonna be for school and some music stuff that will involve track splitting and possibly some pretty expensive software. I might also watch an occasional movie on it.

EDIT: WHOOPS accidentally linked to the wrong laptop! It’s fixed now.

Quoting myself because I think this got ignored.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Quoting myself because I think this got ignored.

I don't think that XPS 15 is worth it because in no way do you need to spend anywhere near $2.5k to do all of the stuff you mentioned. A nice XPS 13 or something similar around $1k should suffice.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
For $2500, you could have a new XPS 13 plus a new desktop that would perform way better than the XPS 15.

This is a serious question, does music production really require an i9 and 32gb ram? What is the "expensive software" that you'll be running?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Katosabi posted:

For $2500, i9 and 32gb ram? What is the "expensive software" that you'll be running?

its star citizen

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Statutory Ape posted:

its star citizen

:gary:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm getting a tax return of about $750, and I've decided that it's a good idea to use it to replace my aging Dell Inspiron 660. In the past few years, I've also had to move into a camper for Reasons, and dismantling the computer every time I have to go for a propane run is getting old. Therefore, I decided I'd look into picking up a laptop.

I imagine that just about anything is going to be better than what I've got, but all the same I want to get as much as I can for the price. I think No Man's Sky and XCOM 2 are the most system-intensive games I've been playing of late, so I dunno if a Pascal GPU would be overkill; should I just get the T470 and go, or are there other options I should consider?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm getting a tax return of about $750, and I've decided that it's a good idea to use it to replace my aging Dell Inspiron 660. In the past few years, I've also had to move into a camper for Reasons, and dismantling the computer every time I have to go for a propane run is getting old. Therefore, I decided I'd look into picking up a laptop.

I imagine that just about anything is going to be better than what I've got, but all the same I want to get as much as I can for the price. I think No Man's Sky and XCOM 2 are the most system-intensive games I've been playing of late, so I dunno if a Pascal GPU would be overkill; should I just get the T470 and go, or are there other options I should consider?

This might be a good fit after the 14% coupon: https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...7MXJ%2f5d6ak%3d

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gonna Send It posted:

This is a serious question, does music production really require an i9 and 32gb ram?

Probably not.

Gonna Send It posted:

What is the "expensive software" that you'll be running?

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

"Expensive software" doesn't necessarily require "expensive hardware" to run though. Here are the system requirements for Melodyne 4:

quote:

Windows - Intel or AMD Dual Core processor (Quad Core or better recommended), 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended), Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 (64-bit recommended), ASIO-compatible audio hardware

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It says that's out of stock. What were you trying to show me?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

It says that's out of stock. What were you trying to show me?

drat! Well, they come and go back into stock daily. It was a Dell G5 Gaming with an RTX 2060, 16gb RAM, 512GB SSD, i7-9750H, for like $755 after the outlet coupon.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gonna Send It posted:

drat! Well, they come and go back into stock daily. It was a Dell G5 Gaming with an RTX 2060, 16gb RAM, 512GB SSD, i7-9750H, for like $755 after the outlet coupon.

poo poo, now that is definitely worth well over $750! :eyepop:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'd be pretty suspect about the XPS chassis even managing to cool an i9 successfully tbh. All they did was improve VRM cooling (by actually adding the barest minimum) for this latest refresh. Don't even think the chassis handles a 9750H going full-tilt all that well, and that's 2 cores less.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'd be pretty suspect about the XPS chassis even managing to cool an i9 successfully tbh. All they did was improve VRM cooling (by actually adding the barest minimum) for this latest refresh. Don't even think the chassis handles a 9750H going full-tilt all that well, and that's 2 cores less.

Yeah, my 9380 with i5 doesn't even attempt to cool it, it hits 100C, waits 30 seconds, turns the fans on low, then medium, and keeps boucing off 100C the whole time. Dell prioritizes noise over cooling.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You're not going to find a thin-and-light that's really able to cool a higher end chip running 100%. All of them throttle pretty aggressively, unfortunately.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Gonna Send It posted:

Yeah, my 9380 with i5 doesn't even attempt to cool it, it hits 100C, waits 30 seconds, turns the fans on low, then medium, and keeps boucing off 100C the whole time. Dell prioritizes noise over cooling.

Thats hosed... the 15" have H processors that are closer to a desktop, but the 13" models have U processors that should be cool as gently caress, especially an i5. I don't think I've ever heard the fan turn on on my i5 XPS13.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Gonna Send It posted:

I see they're back in stock now, so I'll keep an eye out on that for when my refund actually arrives. What coupon, though?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

DrDork posted:

You're not going to find a thin-and-light that's really able to cool a higher end chip running 100%. All of them throttle pretty aggressively, unfortunately.
I know better than to go for an i9, but would an 8750 be better than an 9750 for this reason, then, or would it come down to undervolting or something?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I see they're back in stock now, so I'll keep an eye out on that for when my refund actually arrives. What coupon, though?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/shop/refurbished-coupons/cp/outlet-deals-dfh

It's expired now, but keep a close eye on this page for coupons, they pop up all the time.

AgentCow007 posted:

Thats hosed... the 15" have H processors that are closer to a desktop, but the 13" models have U processors that should be cool as gently caress, especially an i5. I don't think I've ever heard the fan turn on on my i5 XPS13.

This only happens on AC power when package power is hitting 40w. You never hear the fan turn on because that's the cooling strategy Dell uses.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

3 month XPS 13 2-in-1 trip report (i7/16/256/FHD): Very Good.

Runs everything well without any fan noise or throttling. For reference, I managed to play Hades at 1080p without any framerate issues. It did need to be running at max performance (so plugged in if you want more than an hour of life), but otherwise flawless.

No complaints about build quality or keyboard / touchpad issues. Everything is super premium.

The footprint is miniscule. I haven’t found much practical use for the tablet mode, but I have constantly used its ability to lay the screen flat on the table. The two TB3 USB-C ports have been more than enough — I bought a $30 compact hub that I carry around (which I’ve used once?) that gives me peace of mind.

Battery life is currently around 7-9 hours of usage.

Great machine. Highly recommend if it’s in your price range / use case.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bell_ posted:

I know better than to go for an i9, but would an 8750 be better than an 9750 for this reason, then, or would it come down to undervolting or something?

Not really. They're both 45W parts--if anything, the 9750H will do slightly better because it's faster and thus can get the work unit done more quickly and go back to idling.

Undervolting can make a pretty noticeable difference, as can doing a simple re-paste. Between the two I was able to drop my 9750H by about 15C.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any good deals running on refurbished business laptops? I'm deciding between fixing my 430, which needs to be updated to Windows 10, has a cable that's on borrowed time, a slow-rear end SSD, battery life under 2 hours, and needs the power socket replaced, or buying a new refurbished laptop around the $400-500 mark. I'm thinking that I want 16GB of RAM, a SSD, 1080p screen, and ideally an 8-series Intel cpu since IIRC even the i3s from that generation were as fast as the 6700u.

I'm flexible on price, and plan on using it for a good five years or so, which is why I'm looking at relatively high specs. I've had this 430 with 8GB RAM and a 3xxx series i5 since 2015. I have a desktop for gaming / CAD modeling, so this will mostly be for watching videos, posting, and maybe light gaming, but I'm fine being limited on what it can run.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any good deals running on refurbished business laptops? I'm deciding between fixing my 430, which needs to be updated to Windows 10, has a cable that's on borrowed time, a slow-rear end SSD, battery life under 2 hours, and needs the power socket replaced, or buying a new refurbished laptop around the $400-500 mark. I'm thinking that I want 16GB of RAM, a SSD, 1080p screen, and ideally an 8-series Intel cpu since IIRC even the i3s from that generation were as fast as the 6700u.

I'm flexible on price, and plan on using it for a good five years or so, which is why I'm looking at relatively high specs. I've had this 430 with 8GB RAM and a 3xxx series i5 since 2015. I have a desktop for gaming / CAD modeling, so this will mostly be for watching videos, posting, and maybe light gaming, but I'm fine being limited on what it can run.

There's a deal on Dell Latitude 7390 starting at $499 on slickdeals right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I see it's got 8GB RAM, is there room in there for a second stick if I want to upgrade down the line?

E: Also is dual-channel still significantly faster or has that changed? I always get two sticks when I'm building desktops but I'm not sure if that even matters any more, force of habit at this point.