Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

7 Days to Die with zombies turned off if you want to just explore and build (although you'll find a lot of gun parts that you'll have no use for). Full terraforming, so you can dig under mountains and eventually build helicopters!

7 Days to Die with zombies on if you want more of a reason to build fortresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

You want a mod for Minecraft called Life In the Woods: Renaissance. It runs on an older vesion of Java minecraft but will be more than enough for any exploration related needs. It adds 80+ biomes, nearly a thousand new items and blocks, reimagines The Nether, etc. It also adds some extremely nice shader options to give dynamic lighting, shadows, sunbeams, water effects, the whole nine yards. I have put thousands of hours into it at this point, if you want chill exploration, it is 100% what you're after. I recommend grabbing a compatible copy of Xaero's minimap and worldmap, currently at work so I can't link the pages but I'm sure the pages that show up on Google have compatible archived versions as well.

Here is an imgur gallery I made a while ago with a bunch of screenshots: Life in the Woods https://imgur.com/gallery/yD2DVnp

Here's a couple examples, the island below was surrounded by MASSIVE oceans, ringed around its outer edge by volcanoes and in the center of it were mangroves and a small rainforest. But the sight of it appearing on the horizon in the middle of the night, illuminated by lava, was a real sight.

Holy poo poo

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Are there any other good tactical games in the genre of Fantasy General II or Wesnoth that people can recommend? So hex based army vs army where each unit occupies one tile and there is no distinction between the overworld map and the map on which combat is fought. I guess Civ 5/6 also have the same combat, but obviously their combat is just rubbish.

I played Fantasy General II a bit and really liked it, but halfway through I realize I actually still vastly prefer Wesnoth's combat:
- In fantasy general most units have between 2 and 4 movement, while in wesnoth units the move range is between 4 and 9. I think this is the biggest reason why I like wesnoth more, because of this slow movement your tactical options are often very limited and it just feels really slow as well.
- Wesnoth's combat is all about rotating units constantly and the front line is in general extremely dynamic, moving all the time. On hard difficulty you really have to know when to retreat (and you have to do it often), try to outflank your opponent and just move your units around. In fantasy general you often have 2 armies staring at each other and exchaning blows for multiple turns with very little movement (in comparison).
- In general it's much more difficult to keep all your units alive in wesnoth, they feel much more fragile.

Things I prefer in fantasy general ii:
- The story is obviously way better and the campaign is pretty nice
- Morale is a pretty cool mechanic
- Units having a squad size and this determining their combat strength etc is a pretty good mechanic

What else is there?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do you feel about wargames? Unity of Command is 100% tactical, pretty simple (for the genre), hex based and focused on breaking enemy lines and enveloping them. AI is pretty good. The first one should be cheap, too.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Azathoth posted:

I'm looking for a game that fits the description of "chill building and exploration"

There's a new game released recently called Littlewood and it's pretty much a Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing hybrid.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Are there any other good tactical games in the genre of Fantasy General II or Wesnoth that people can recommend? So hex based army vs army where each unit occupies one tile and there is no distinction between the overworld map and the map on which combat is fought. I guess Civ 5/6 also have the same combat, but obviously their combat is just rubbish.

I played Fantasy General II a bit and really liked it, but halfway through I realize I actually still vastly prefer Wesnoth's combat:
- In fantasy general most units have between 2 and 4 movement, while in wesnoth units the move range is between 4 and 9. I think this is the biggest reason why I like wesnoth more, because of this slow movement your tactical options are often very limited and it just feels really slow as well.
- Wesnoth's combat is all about rotating units constantly and the front line is in general extremely dynamic, moving all the time. On hard difficulty you really have to know when to retreat (and you have to do it often), try to outflank your opponent and just move your units around. In fantasy general you often have 2 armies staring at each other and exchaning blows for multiple turns with very little movement (in comparison).
- In general it's much more difficult to keep all your units alive in wesnoth, they feel much more fragile.

- Units having a squad size and this determining their combat strength etc is a pretty good mechanic

What else is there?

Wesnoth is pretty heavily based on the Langrisser series, so it might be worth checking those out, though they're not hex based (Warsong/Langrisser: The Descendants of Light uses squares)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Azathoth posted:

Holy poo poo
sorry forgot to link the modpack itself, here, if you hadn't already googled it: http://lifeinthewoods.ca/

I forgot as well that apparently the shaders link on the site doesn't work anymore, unless they fixed it recently, so here they are. dump'em in the LITWR folder, under the repository subfolder, under thirdparty: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ndjb4rsbm182btw/shaders_maybe.rar/file

grab the version of Xaero's World Map that corresponds to the build of Minecraft that LITWR uses, I want to say it's like 1.7 or 1.3 or something. https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/xaeros-world-map

It will help you prevent getting completely lost if you want to have a main home base to return to, just hit M and it'll show a map of every chunk(16x16 block section of world) you've loaded since installing the map mod. There's an associate minimap mod as well by the same fella.

A few recommendations for starting out:

keep cheats on, and enable Magnet Mode in the cheat menu on the inventory screen, it will hoover up any loose items nearby which is immensely useful to reduce just having to run around and pick everything up constantly. this will lead to sucking up tons of random plants as you enter new biomes as the modpack MOSTLY works well together but some stuff spawns in illegal places the first time you load a chunk and poofs into a lootable item instead.

Spawn yourself a few different-colored Large Backpacks from the item menu to the right of your inventory(they cannot be crafted in Renaissance for some reason) and just having those around to shove all the random bullshit you'll be picking up as you walk everywhere, there's literally hundreds of different plants, and dozens of variants of a bunch of different flowers that each take up inventory space individually, so poo poo gets crowded fast.

Have fun relaxing!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Walh Hara posted:

What else is there?

Battle Brothers?
Into the Breach might satisfy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

What else is there?
Endless Legend is like this, the combat isn't great but you have a bunch of units with special abilities and direct control

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

There's a new game released recently called Littlewood and it's pretty much a Stardew Valley/Animal Crossing hybrid.

Wait Littlewood got actually released?

ed: Wait no, it's still in "early access".

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. I've already played Battle brothers, Into the breach and Endless Legend, all good recommendations although they're a bit different. (Endless Legend is good despite it's combat though)

Forgot about unity of command. I remember looking at it once and having the impression it was more of a puzzle since I believe your starting units and situation are always predefined for the mission? I'll check it out.

Never heard of the langrisser series but I have the impression there's nothing remotely recent?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Never heard of the langrisser series but I have the impression there's nothing remotely recent?

Remakes of the first two games just came out last year, and are getting Windows ports this year. There was also a 3DS game in 2015, and a mobile game last year.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Remakes of the first two games just came out last year, and are getting Windows ports this year. There was also a 3DS game in 2015, and a mobile game last year.

Cool, I'm going to wait for the windows ports then. Thanks!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Walh Hara posted:

What else is there?

Legion War is a pretty underrated tactical war game IMO. I know it looks like an iPhone game and it has a few dodgy translations but the game play is surprisingly deep, and there are three pretty unique factions to mess around with. It has a free demo so it can't hurt to try.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014
Are there any building games where you can make your own vehicles (cars, boats, planes, spaceships), but there's also a decent campaign or at least a reason to keep building new and bigger stuff? Bonus points if you as a character can also walk around in said vehicles.

I've played the stranded mode in Trailmakers and quite liked it, although pretty early on I realized the builder is fairly limited and you don't really need to fancy it up. I've also been eyeing Stormworks but it seems the actual missions are fairly straight-forward and people just make cool vehicles for the fun of it.

On the space/sci-fi side I know there are a few games that would fit, but the singleplayer aspect of it usually disappoints (Space Engineers), or it's an open-world, early access, survival crafting game which I'm very fatigued of. I don't want another Minecraft-like unless the grind is reasonable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LionEyez posted:

Are there any building games where you can make your own vehicles (cars, boats, planes, spaceships), but there's also a decent campaign or at least a reason to keep building new and bigger stuff? Bonus points if you as a character can also walk around in said vehicles.

Check out Warship Gunner 2 for the Playstation 2. It's a campaign-based arcade naval combat sim where you build your own warships by picking a hull and then sticking guns, bridges, torpedo launchers, etc. on the deck. It has a really solid gameplay loop of play a mission -> unlock new ship parts -> build a new ship -> play the next mission. You can't walk around on the ships but otherwise it meets your requirements.

I like the game well enough that I'm trying to make my own knockoff version (thread's a bit out of date, but it links my Twitter which is more recent), though I'm nowhere near having something that's meaningfully playable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

LionEyez posted:

I've played the stranded mode in Trailmakers and quite liked it, although pretty early on I realized the builder is fairly limited and you don't really need to fancy it up. I've also been eyeing Stormworks but it seems the actual missions are fairly straight-forward and people just make cool vehicles for the fun of it.

On the space/sci-fi side I know there are a few games that would fit, but the singleplayer aspect of it usually disappoints (Space Engineers), or it's an open-world, early access, survival crafting game which I'm very fatigued of. I don't want another Minecraft-like unless the grind is reasonable.

Consider From the Depths, it’s all that plus you’re building ships to conquer the world like a naval mount and blade?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LionEyez posted:

Well, have you tried subnautica? The story in it is surprisingly good, and it has a vehicle (the cyclops, a submarine) that you can walk around in, place equipment and furniture, etc.

It's a crafting survival game, but honestly probably one of the best of those ever made. It's one of those games where it did a thing well and nobody else has really nailed that feeling the same way since, it captures the terror of the ocean in a way few others have.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Check out Warship Gunner 2 for the Playstation 2. It's a campaign-based arcade naval combat sim where you build your own warships by picking a hull and then sticking guns, bridges, torpedo launchers, etc. on the deck. It has a really solid gameplay loop of play a mission -> unlock new ship parts -> build a new ship -> play the next mission. You can't walk around on the ships but otherwise it meets your requirements.

I like the game well enough that I'm trying to make my own knockoff version (thread's a bit out of date, but it links my Twitter which is more recent), though I'm nowhere near having something that's meaningfully playable.

I've played it and really enjoyed it. I actually only found out about Warship Gunner 2 last year, when I was on a nostalgia hunt for PS2 classics. It's hardly mentioned at all, even on 'hidden gems' lists. The gameplay still holds up today, if you don't mind the ps2 graphics (can be upscaled a little with psx2 emulator). Really fits my request too, as bosses and certain missions require you to build a different ship.

Good luck on your game, looking really nice!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Consider From the Depths, it’s all that plus you’re building ships to conquer the world like a naval mount and blade?

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, have you tried subnautica? The story in it is surprisingly good, and it has a vehicle (the cyclops, a submarine) that you can walk around in, place equipment and furniture, etc.

It's a crafting survival game, but honestly probably one of the best of those ever made. It's one of those games where it did a thing well and nobody else has really nailed that feeling the same way since, it captures the terror of the ocean in a way few others have.

Thanks, I'll check these out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LionEyez posted:

Thanks, I'll check these out
Do give your thoughts over in the Subnautica thread when you give it a go :allears:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and while I like the combat system the plot is kindof miserable and long-winded. What other turn-based RPGs are there with good combat systems and exploration, but less of a focus on talking to every single NPC?
I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics in this way, though Alvora Tactics is lacking in the exploration aspect a bit.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

McFrugal posted:

I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and while I like the combat system the plot is kindof miserable and long-winded. What other turn-based RPGs are there with good combat systems and exploration, but less of a focus on talking to every single NPC?
I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics in this way, though Alvora Tactics is lacking in the exploration aspect a bit.

There's the https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/ Avernum games, with Avernum 3: Ruined World being the one I'd recommend. The graphics aren't much but there's a lot of stuff in the game. It's very much in the simulationist open world end of RPG's, you can ignore the main plot and just gently caress off into the wild and live the murderhobo lifestyle if you want.

Edit: Oh, and there's a demo available on the website, so you can try it before buying.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 30, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

LionEyez posted:

Kerbal Space Program?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I just just did a Skyrim play though with about a million mods installed. It scratched that itch for a little while. Anyone know a good go-anywhere-do-anything RPG that i can waste time in. Preferably something that's been made in the last 5 years, and isn't post apocalypse/zombie themed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I just just did a Skyrim play though with about a million mods installed. It scratched that itch for a little while. Anyone know a good go-anywhere-do-anything RPG that i can waste time in. Preferably something that's been made in the last 5 years, and isn't post apocalypse/zombie themed.
I haven't played it but Kingdom Come: Deliverance is free on the Epic Games Store next week and seems like it might do the job

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I hear Witcher 3 is basically that

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I want Witcher but set in feudal Japan so I can roleplay my Yojimbo fantasies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WaltherFeng posted:

Try Nioh, although it's more Shogun than Yojimbo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nioh and Shogun are based on the same real life person right

Obviously Nioh is umm maybe not completely historically accurate with the demon monsters and poo poo..

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know, played it over 200 hours. This was more of a response to the Witcher 3 comment because that game does have that feel of walking into a small village and solving problems with your sword.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stefan Prodan posted:

Nioh and Shogun are based on the same real life person right

Obviously Nioh is umm maybe not completely historically accurate with the demon monsters and poo poo..

no no I'm 100% convinced that feudal japan was full of demon monsters, it makes sense

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

some of em demons of their own making, if sekiro's anything to go by

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

WaltherFeng posted:

Way of the Samurai is nothing like Witcher, but very good ronin simulator

also Mount&Blade with the Onin no Ran mod is v good feudal Japan experience

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

some of em demons of their own making, if sekiro's anything to go by

Is that the Gavle Goat?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

grate deceiver posted:

Way of the Samurai is nothing like Witcher, but very good ronin simulator

Also each of the games manages to be really different from each of the others, which I consider a positive, even if you need a ps2/emulator for the first two.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The only thing I remember about playing those games was a woman named Melinda Megamelons.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I badly need a recommendation for PS4. I enjoy stealth-type games and the benchmark for me will always be the “Thief” titles from the late 90’s.

I always roll stealth in RPGs and Skyrim was the last time I felt a game came close to Thief.

Helpful but not needed: open world, multiplayer. I wouldn’t mind just replaying Skyrim until something better releases but I am woefully unaware of what’s what these days.

Much appreciated!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Suave Fedora posted:

I badly need a recommendation for PS4. I enjoy stealth-type games and the benchmark for me will always be the “Thief” titles from the late 90’s.

I always roll stealth in RPGs and Skyrim was the last time I felt a game came close to Thief.

Helpful but not needed: open world, multiplayer. I wouldn’t mind just replaying Skyrim until something better releases but I am woefully unaware of what’s what these days.

Styx: Master of Shadows and sequel Styx: Shards of Darkness
Not openworld or multiplayer, you're just dumped into a large level with an objective and it's up to you how to get there and do it, like in Thief.
You'll also die in 2 seconds if you try to get into an open fight with guards instead of being sneaky and backstabbing, also like in Thief.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 10, 2020

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

Styx: Master of Shadows and sequel Styx: Shards of Darkness
Not openworld or multiplayer, you're just dumped into a large level with an objective and it's up to you how to get there and do it, like in Thief.
You'll also die in 2 seconds if you try to get into an open fight with guards instead of being sneaky and backstabbing, also like in Thief.

Thank you. My inner Taffer rejoices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The only thing I remember about playing those games was a woman named Melinda Megamelons.

I love the story behind that translation choice. Originally, she was DeCameron, or Dekameron. Deka Meron, translated is something like huge melons. The original version had an alright bit of wordplay that's hard to translate, and is easy to not notice, since that's a sensible sounding name.

So they decided to play up the joke instead, because "funny zany japanese writing" is more marketable, and properly translating that would be too much of a hassle. For all the poo poo the Ace Attorney localisations get, they've done a great job of translating the wordplay.