Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

stev posted:

Have people already forgotten Detective Pikachu?
Pikachu had a consistent history of being in rather good things and a first trailer that made an extremely good impression to most people, while Sonic had neither of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of the loving prepper colony one roommate set up in the backyard. Dude used to live in the woods stealing from local farms, real good with his hands and poo poo. He created a beautiful lit pathway using mason jars and christmas lights and he turned the tool shed into an insulated house that was like a 90s stoner attic room. I bought an original Atari 2600 and dozens of pristine 1980s games off him for a bag of tobacco and cigarette rollers.

It's a shame the dude sucked, couldn't pay poo poo, creeped on 20yo girls despite being like 55, believed literally every conspiracy theory about Obama, and every time I tried to hook him up with veteran's benefits he found a new excuse to dodge me but boy did he load up at the food pantry while selling his stamps for smokes. So glad I got out of there before Trump became the front runner, I might have murdered the dude.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Relax Or DIE posted:

I had a roommate who didn't pay the power bill and got it shut off several times (I had given him my half) and would get into fights with family and spend all night crying in from of the episode select screen from a Friends DVD.

So no-one told him life was gonna be okay?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Games people are coming back with positive reactions... is history being made
https://twitter.com/lucyjamesgames/status/1226260769957793792

People going to advance screenings and getting free swag bags saying the thing is good is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait to see people lose all their materia in the ff7 remake and have to go on a sidequest to get it all back

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When you go to change your PSN name, it gives you suggestions, and they are amazing and horrible

jaggy-beef4
wifely-kitchen9
clerical_phone
unborn_once
lengthy_surmise
thirsty-drawl
prolific_shame
unwaged_banquet
doughy_wizard

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Classic lovely roommate move, did some coke before coming to the house meeting. Took a few repetitions for him to get he's got 30 days but I didn't scream at him, so I'll take that as a win. Landlord is coming tomorrow for rent and he hinted at wanting to talk to him, even though he's technically squatting/sub letting through us. He has a dog which breaks our lease, so if everything goes wrong, we could be out of a place either way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Songbearer posted:

So no-one told him life was gonna be okay?

👏👏👏👏

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

- Trust fund college hippie who literally, and I mean literally, tried to frame me for arson by saying I burned a hole in their couch. Then broke one of my rear view mirrors and got their rich dad to pay me since they didn't have insurance. In a pretty bizarre bit of cosmic irony, a week after my partner and I decided we couldn't take it and moved out, the whole house burned to the ground.

what the gently caress is it with trust fund brats, arson, and sitting in bathtubs full of poo poo while playing a saxophone

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Shatsophone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Just for a frame of reference: how old were you when you played these games?

i played most of them within the last year and stand by my assertions

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Saw this at walmart today

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I am sure the Lego games are cute and charming but I can't help but feel kind of irritated by them because the joy of Lego was always building my own cool stuff and the games are always focused around prefab things

Then again I guess that's just the way Lego actually is these days :smith: At least there are tinkering games like Trailmakers to keep the dream alive

Weedle
May 31, 2006

detective pikachu the motion picture was insanely boring

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my worst roommate was the one whose boyfriend gave us bedbugs

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Songbearer posted:

I am sure the Lego games are cute and charming but I can't help but feel kind of irritated by them because the joy of Lego was always building my own cool stuff and the games are always focused around prefab things

Then again I guess that's just the way Lego actually is these days :smith: At least there are tinkering games like Trailmakers to keep the dream alive

the creator sets are all really really good, probably their best theme in years and years

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Songbearer posted:

There's a tv show about creating your own lego designs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've noticed a lot of great games never get threads, or nobody ever posts in them, I guess because there's not much to say, but it's still sad. I'm thinking specifically of stuff like Obra Dinn

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Usually the chatter for that ends up in here or in the console/Steam threads it feels like.

I only end up posting in game-specific threads if it's something that is like a longterm 60+ hour experience where there's a variety of things to talk about

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

I've noticed a lot of great games never get threads, or nobody ever posts in them, I guess because there's not much to say, but it's still sad. I'm thinking specifically of stuff like Obra Dinn

Yeah it's a shame

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

oddium posted:

tunr your monitor on

never

al-azad posted:

Hmmm nah. God Hand is funny but the highlight are bosses and whenever you’re fighting more than one disposable goon at a time it’s just tedious. Platinum themselves are so hit and miss they’re just coasting on good Bayonetta vibes. I’m just crawling through Nier A for the narrative because everything else is terrible.

ahh no its really good lol platinum have a bunch of really really good games, and then a bunch of games that they do because they need money which are 50/50 fine or really really good. bayos fine but to say theyre coasting on that when like, w101 exists? when rising and astral chain are both significantly better than bayo? even in nier a where the combat is obviously toned down its still great to play and the basically infinite comboing of everything into each other is super fun.

but back to that era we're t alking god hand, viewtiful joe and dmc. da freaking kings, all better than boring batman combat. batman combat is complete garbage and it was better when people were trying other stuff bcos its v boring when 90% of western third persony games just play like batman. its dull.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

never

ahh no its really good lol platinum have a bunch of really really good games, and then a bunch of games that they do because they need money which are 50/50 fine or really really good. bayos fine but to say theyre coasting on that when like, w101 exists? when rising and astral chain are both significantly better than bayo? even in nier a where the combat is obviously toned down its still great to play and the basically infinite comboing of everything into each other is super fun.

but back to that era we're t alking god hand, viewtiful joe and dmc. da freaking kings, all better than boring batman combat. batman combat is complete garbage and it was better when people were trying other stuff bcos its v boring when 90% of western third persony games just play like batman. its dull.

Nah. It's not even better than Nier A if you discount Nier's story.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah. It's not even better than Nier A if you discount Nier's story.

if you dont think astral chains combat is good youre unironically most likely playing it wrong because it utterly slaps but its completely obtuse to understand what youre meant to do. but once you click with it its probably the best system theyve ever made.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

precision posted:

The reason is that this forum is pretty dead compared to what it used to be nearly a decade ago. If you really want that type of 2011-era SA constant activity you can go to ResetEra or Reddit with all the good and bad that entails.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.

precision posted:

When you go to change your PSN name, it gives you suggestions, and they are amazing and horrible

jaggy-beef4
wifely-kitchen9
clerical_phone
unborn_once
lengthy_surmise
thirsty-drawl
prolific_shame
unwaged_banquet
doughy_wizard

I'll take doughy_wizard unless someone else wants it, in which case I'll take prolific_shame.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

if you dont think astral chains combat is good youre unironically most likely playing it wrong because it utterly slaps but its completely obtuse to understand what youre meant to do. but once you click with it its probably the best system theyve ever made.

Even using all your tools to get S+ ranks it's still mediocre sorry. Toss in poo poo platforming, non combat sections rest of the game and you have a middling experience at best.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
its not about just using tools to get S+ ranks. you can get S+ easy just mindlessly spamming between weapons and using every legion. the combat carries everything else with how satisfying it is and its probably up there with rising honestly, and thats including people saying it sucks because they dont understand how to play the combat out.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Stux posted:

First stux post i unironically agree with

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GUI posted:

The reason is that this forum is pretty dead compared to what it used to be nearly a decade ago. If you really want that type of 2011-era SA constant activity you can go to ResetEra or Reddit with all the good and bad that entails.
In this case it's just because that poster missed the Obra Dinn thread.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stux posted:

Yeah it's the closest I've ever come with a Platinum game to wanting to max rank everything

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

its not about just using tools to get S+ ranks. you can get S+ easy just mindlessly spamming between weapons and using every legion. the combat carries everything else with how satisfying it is and its probably up there with rising honestly, and thats including people saying it sucks because they dont understand how to play the combat out.

On the hardest difficulty setting and easily getting max ranks while everything dies.

Please tell me how do to combat better so it becomes "good".

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That's literally any combo focused game, where you get more tools than you need. For example, W101 is fantastic, not just for it's systems, but having a gently caress ton of combat options you'd never even see if you didn't know to unlock them.

Also I'm willing to bet you didn't touch the secret bosses in ac

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 9, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is W101 a primary-parry or primary-dodge game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
its easy in any plat game to just make it so everything dies, and astral chain has a super easy rank system because it doesnt really care so much about taking hits, as long as you use everything once and a hit a sync youre probably getting S+

its not just one thing. its a combo of actually thinking about what skill each legion will use and why and in what order, of always making sure you have two legions out at once, getting adept at actually controlling both you and the legion so you can easily switch between focusing one enemy or splitting off to deal with seperate ones, what chips each legion needs and how can you always fit the parry chip on, parrying literally everything, just properly delving into your options. theres so many options that its impossible to cover them all, you can play fights out in so many ways and you can customise everything so heavily to fit how you want to play that you really have to just mess with everything yourself and dig into it and work out whats going on.

astral chain is the mgr meme of "wait i can parry? i have to unlock dodge?" writ large to the point the entire combat systems hang on it because if you dont then you have a one attack button platinum game where you just mash through things.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds boring

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

That's literally any combo focused game, where you get more tools than you need. For example, W101 is fantastic, not just for it's systems, but having a gently caress ton of combat options you'd never even see if you didn't know to unlock them.

Also I'm willing to bet you didn't touch the secret bosses in ac

You know what happens when you assume: you make an rear end out of yourself :v:

Stux posted:

its easy in any plat game to just make it so everything dies, and astral chain has a super easy rank system because it doesnt really care so much about taking hits, as long as you use everything once and a hit a sync youre probably getting S+

its not just one thing. its a combo of actually thinking about what skill each legion will use and why and in what order, of always making sure you have two legions out at once, getting adept at actually controlling both you and the legion so you can easily switch between focusing one enemy or splitting off to deal with seperate ones, what chips each legion needs and how can you always fit the parry chip on, parrying literally everything, just properly delving into your options. theres so many options that its impossible to cover them all, you can play fights out in so many ways and you can customise everything so heavily to fit how you want to play that you really have to just mess with everything yourself and dig into it and work out whats going on.

astral chain is the mgr meme of "wait i can parry? i have to unlock dodge?" writ large to the point the entire combat systems hang on it because if you dont then you have a one attack button platinum game where you just mash through things.

Yes there is a ton of depth. But like you said, you don't really need to really use a lot of it to crush the game. I messed around with a bunch of options during my playthroughs and :siren:the secret boss:siren:. The combat is fine and the overall game is mediocre, basically dragged down by non combat sections. If anything, it has lowered my hype for Bayo 3.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
speaking of games with fun combat i beat blasphemous

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You know what happens when you assume: you make an rear end out of yourself :v:

Yes there is a ton of depth. But like you said, you don't really need to really use a lot of it to crush the game. I messed around with a bunch of options during my playthroughs and :siren:the secret boss:siren:. The combat is fine and the overall game is mediocre, basically dragged down by non combat sections. If anything, it has lowered my hype for Bayo 3.

i mean... thats pretty much the fun of all of the games? you can pretty easily just beat any of them, its about like, having fun with the systems they provide? the level of depth makes messing around just super fun to do and lets you do so much stuff and experiment, and thats what we call "epic win"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is W101 a primary-parry or primary-dodge game

it can be either depending on your equipment, but it's mostly about switching weapons to keep your combo going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Songbearer posted:

honestly the main appeal of lego games for me is breaking everything