Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

In that case, assuming they didn't scrap the part where he's stuck in the psychic realm (which they probably did), if they did just grow Fantomex a new body and uploaded his most recent consciousness in Cerebro, does that mean there could be two of him? I doubt they'd cover this in X-Factor but it's interesting to think about

Fantomex isn't a mutant so at this point, we can assume he isn't in Cerebro (until they hint that non-mutants are).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

In that case, assuming they didn't scrap the part where he's stuck in the psychic realm (which they probably did), if they did just grow Fantomex a new body and uploaded his most recent consciousness in Cerebro, does that mean there could be two of him? I doubt they'd cover this in X-Factor but it's interesting to think about

i meant that they grew xavier a new body. despite the misleading sinister cerebro mask, it was always xavier under there with his own face and not fantomex. if that xavier was a psychic ghost who could possess a complete stranger's body then there's no reason he couldn't jump over to an empty clone of himself.

it's probably best not to delve into it, considering fantomex's already ridiculously complex history with deaths, resurrections, clone bodies and the brief period that he was three separate people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i meant that they grew xavier a new body. despite the misleading sinister cerebro mask, it was always xavier under there with his own face and not fantomex. if that xavier was a psychic ghost who could possess a complete stranger's body then there's no reason he couldn't jump over to an empty clone of himself.

That reminds me of the Shadow King. He'd be awkward to bring back.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

I imagine he is low on the priority list, but you could do something interesting with him. Have him get no percentage from organized mutancy - indeed find it negative, because now Xavier, Frost, the Cuckoos, Jean Grey, Rachel Summers, and a dozen others are around who could beat him in a psi fight, and dozens more who could resist him or detect him abusing others.

Now you have a plausible traitor!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if they even could since by the time they made contact with him his original body had been long dead or killed by Xavier before he ever met Moira.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bringing back Farouk only for him to get possessed by the Shadow King again seems inevitable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Juggernaut mini series written by Fabian Nicieza. Trying to find his place in the world since he isn’t welcome on Krakoa.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Open Marriage Night posted:

Juggernaut mini series written by Fabian Nicieza. Trying to find his place in the world since he isn’t welcome on Krakoa.

I am here for this poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did he go to krakoa and like

break all the toilets and something

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

did he go to krakoa and like

break all the toilets and something
I think he's not a mutant despite being closely connected to a ton of mutants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh right that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In what world is he being separated from his life partner and both of them accept that? :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Loved that text in X-Force about Black Tom having a dream, and accidentally creating a 50ft Juggernaut statue.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aphrodite posted:

Bringing back Farouk only for him to get possessed by the Shadow King again seems inevitable.

Almost certain that Farouk was long dead before Cerebro was a thing, so there's no memories/soul stored to return to him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean if we're spitballing Charles could just have Eva take him to the past for a scan of anyone he's missing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean if we're spitballing Charles could just have Eva take him to the past for a scan of anyone he's missing.

Ok, Dr. McCoy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Got Eva confused with EVA since I didn’t read Bendis’ X-Men.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

danbanana posted:

Ok, Dr. McCoy.

No see there's no immediate way my idea can be a giant gently caress up. No way it backfires so it can't be McCoys

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Has there been any consensus on how long Cerebro has been 'backing up' mutants?

Changeling (who died in a comic published in 1968, well before the "All New All Different X-Men" formed) is the earliest one I can think of, though he's only appeared in a group panel so far so who knows how much thought was put into it. The earliest "we are talking about them and they're clearly a character with lines in a comic" example I can think of is Synch, who died in a comic published in 2000. Both of these are long enough ago that they're clearly retconning it to have mutants getting backed up behind the scenes in a bunch of comics throughout the X^0 era.

Proteus is an edge case for me, since he 'died' in the Claremont/Byrne era of X-Men but his psyche survived and reappeared repeatedly, as recently as Charles Soule's Astonishing X-Men, so hypothetically Cerebro could have backed up his mind super recently (or possibly didn't have to back it up at all, since he was still alive on the astral plane).

It's not really clear to me when we're supposed to assume Cerebro started backing up mutants. If they're not physically restoring Proteus's body (just sticking him in a Chuck Husk) I suppose there's nothing stopping them from continually making Shadow King new bodies too, aside from the fact that he's a real rear end in a top hat. But that hasn't stopped various other resurrections/alliances!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I feel like they might possibly put known assholes like Farouk at the back of the line behind all the dead Genoshans. Like Apocalypse and co. are playing ball but maybe Jimmy Jack the guy with the hypercolor skin gets to come back from "being killed by Sentinels" before the Shadow King gets to come back from "lost another fight on the astral plane while trying to sexily corrupt everybody."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s all bullshit until I see Ugly John.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Has there been any consensus on how long Cerebro has been 'backing up' mutants?

Moira's diary entries in the last HoX issue very clearly states that the Resurrection idea was Chuck's, but implied they needed the right mutants to make it work. One of those issues also has Chuck talking to Forge about upgraded Cerebro. So the question is does Xavier know about Forge through Moira's previous lives or does he develop the Resurrection system after meeting Forge?

Either way I think it is safe to assume that the Resurrection system happens later in the timeline, well into the OG5 period or maybe as late as the Death in Dallas stuff.

Also: these characters went through some poo poo before Krakoa.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
On the note of assholes I would love to know how Emplate is making do on the island without causing huge problems for everybody else. Do they just make lifeless husks for him to eat or what?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

How Wonderful! posted:

On the note of assholes I would love to know how Emplate is making do on the island without causing huge problems for everybody else. Do they just make lifeless husks for him to eat or what?

Yes. Pretty much the same way they make new bodies for Proteus to take over so he doesn't wear them out and go crazy again. Probably mindless/souless Xavier bodies, actually, since that's what they feed to Proteus.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I thought Juggernaught got retconned into a Mutant during a stretch where he lost his Cyttorak powers and he joined the X-Men. I want to say it was during Austens run? He was still strong but a lot weaker and I distinctly remember him offering himself back to Cytorrak for a power boost to beat some villain who was too strong to beat with his mutant powers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He was a major character in Austen's run but I'm pretty sure he was never retconned into being a mutant. He was just weaker unless he was actively being an rear end in a top hat and serving Cyttorak's whims.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

He was a major character in Austen's run but I'm pretty sure he was never retconned into being a mutant. He was just weaker unless he was actively being an rear end in a top hat and serving Cyttorak's whims.

Yeah, and there was some stuff about how he regained the full Juggernaut power during World War Hulk (to fight Hulk, but it wasn't much of a fight) and then he kind of bounced around being powered and de-powered with some stuff involving Fear Itself and I think Captain Universe. Now he's back to normal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I think they mentioned something about him and Selene and how they could use their powers for something else on the island.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Juggernaut's entire post-Austen run has been crazy:

1) Got kidnapped and repowered by Mojo and forced to help de-age the other X-Men into X-Babies
2) Lost his powers again, hung out post M-Day in England with New Excalibur
3) Re-pledged himself to Cytorrak to stop Hulk during World War Hulk, failed
4) Tried fighting Skarr, got punched into orbit
5) Crash landed on Earth, found by Spider-Man, got Captain Universe powers for a minute, used them to stop earthquakes, saved NYC/the world
6) Went to jail(?) and joined the Luke Cage era of Thunderbolts
7) Got one of the evil hammers in Fear Itself, wrecked a ton of poo poo, eventually got stopped by the X-Men when Cytorrak depowered him for taking power from Asgard
8) Went back to jail, Man-Thing got him an alternate-universe Ruby of Cytorrak and got his powers back
9) Eventually that ruby stopped working so he went to go live on a farm, Cytorrak made a new ruby and Juggernaut tried to destroy it.
10) But then he took it to try to kill Cyclops for killing Xavier in AvX, but instead got buried alive.
11) Dug out, tried to kill Young Cyclops thinking it was Old Cyclops, got telported to Hell by Magik.
12) Came back, still trying to kill Cyclops, got magically trapped in his armor like a cocoon and arrested by SHIELD
13) Escapes, gets buried in concrete by Deadpool
14) Gets out of that, joins a jungle cult of Cytorrak, goes on a vision quest, gets beaten up by Thor.
15) Forgets about all that stuff, joins Magneto's new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, finds out Magneto is really Joseph, shrugs his shoulders and joins up with Cyclops.
16) Runs into Punisher and Foggy Nelson and helps them rescue a bunch of kidnapped kids after War of the Realms
17) Magik goes crazy, crushes his ruby and depowers him, teleports him to Hell again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang. he really does belong in the x-men.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Make Juggs a mutant with a super mundane power that has nothing to do with his usual power set.

"Why didn't I ever know before?"

"Cytorrak's magic masked it any time you had it and it's not like anyone was checking just in case when you didn't. Perfect accent comprehension and mimicry doesn't exactly stand out."

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 9, 2020

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Adder Moray posted:

Make Juggs a mutant with a super mundane power that has nothing to do with his usual power set.

"Why didn't I ever know before?"

"Cytorrak's magic masked it any time you had it and it's not like anyone was checking just in case when you didn't. Perfect accent comprehension and mimicry doesn't exactly stand out."

"But for real, that is a really great Vinny Jones impression. I just didn't think it was a genetic thing."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow, Reed, what the gently caress.

Professor Impossible isn't a parody of Mr Fantastic, he's just Mr Fantastic. No wonder The Richard's kids wanted to leave them, and Ben not having any of that poo poo either. Though Kate being in this kind of messes up the ending of Marauders, as we still don't don't what happened to her after she went into the drink.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The last FF/X-Men miniseries started off with Reed looking like a horrible person too, so it'll be interesting to see if they're parallels.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

The last FF/X-Men miniseries started off with Reed looking like a horrible person too, so it'll be interesting to see if they're parallels.

Daredevil is always tortured by life. Spidey always sacrifices. Sam is always nigh-invulnerable when blastin'. Reed always fucks up because being smart means being unable to understand human nature.

These are the basic characterizations of the Marvel Universe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Finally caught up with the FF crossover. In spite of Reed loving up everything as usual, he does make a great point on why Xavier is in such a rush: if Krakoa would be an actual nation, it would still be there in a few years from now. The Dodsons' art is kind of a hit and miss: some gorgeous pieces, then some really undetailed, barely sketched outlines (the one panel with Cyclops was disturbing).

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

danbanana posted:

Sam is always nigh-invulnerable when blastin'.

drat straight he is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Professor Impossible isn't a parody of Mr Fantastic, he's just Mr Fantastic. No wonder The Richard's kids wanted to leave them, and Ben not having any of that poo poo either. Though Kate being in this kind of messes up the ending of Marauders, as we still don't don't what happened to her after she went into the drink.

Spoilers: it's a comic book and she will survive/be resurrected and timelines don't always match up exactly with other comics.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

twistedmentat posted:

The timeline on FF/X is a bit confusing. Pyro doesn't have his face tattoo so it's either before that happened in Marauders or after he died and was resurrected at some point yet to happen in Marauders. Or that's just a consistency error. In any case, probably best not to think about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Saoshyant posted:

Finally caught up with the FF crossover. In spite of Reed loving up everything as usual, he does make a great point on why Xavier is in such a rush: if Krakoa would be an actual nation, it would still be there in a few years from now.

This is honestly a good point. Right now I don't think we understand Xavier's true endgame other than "avert mutant extinction".