Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For Joan Of arc bretonia is just going all cav viable? Figure grail knights (whatever the sword ones are?) for a “frontline” and the uh shock cav grail as flankers?

Pretty much. Bring some Grphyon Knights for some aerial support and you are all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Sword of Khaine has been claimed!

By... some random Kislev lord?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

For Joan Of arc bretonia is just going all cav viable? Figure grail knights (whatever the sword ones are?) for a “frontline” and the uh shock cav grail as flankers?

it is technically less viable for her as that's a standard possibility for the other bret lords, while she buffs up the peasant units

which is to say yes still

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Managed to pick a copy of this up last night thanks to a pricing error, and I need some advice. I've been playing total war poo poo in some form or another since the original Medieval and Rome. Back then, I used to be able to play a campaign properly, managing the econ side and all that crap just fine. But at some point around Empire-Shogun 2ish, I just lost all my ability to not go broke while having enough troops to fight. So can someone point me to some kind of guide or video or something to help me not be an idiot with my gold coins? I really want to actually properly play a campaign again, and not just cheat in infinite money after the first dozen turns.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The best way to make money is to fight battles, the loot you can get after a battle is nuts. It’s almost like your army supports your cities instead of the cities funding your armies upkeep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ShootaBoy posted:

Managed to pick a copy of this up last night thanks to a pricing error, and I need some advice. I've been playing total war poo poo in some form or another since the original Medieval and Rome. Back then, I used to be able to play a campaign properly, managing the econ side and all that crap just fine. But at some point around Empire-Shogun 2ish, I just lost all my ability to not go broke while having enough troops to fight. So can someone point me to some kind of guide or video or something to help me not be an idiot with my gold coins? I really want to actually properly play a campaign again, and not just cheat in infinite money after the first dozen turns.

Depends a bit on the faction you are playing, but in general :

-There is an opportunity cost to armies sitting around doing nothing, so you need to kind of gauge just how many forces you really need at any given time. Recruiting additional armies incurs a 'tax' on your total upkeep, so don't expand too many armies too fast.

-Your garrisons cost nothing to maintain, and I find it more cost effective early game to have a comparatively 'light' army that picks fights within reinforcement range of your Garrison. Every battle involving a Garrison is involving units you didn't need to recruit and maintain. Sitting in ambush stance near your settlements can bait an enemy army into attacking what they think is a 'weak' settlement.

-Sack settlements that would be too much hassle to defend anyway. If the settlement is going to be swimming in corruption, it's often just a big waste of time building it up if it isn't particularly special. Blood Swamps near Teclis starting province is a good example of this. If you have good replenishment you can just sack a weak settlement over and over. While you don't get much after the second or third time you build up exp and factions that hate the victim will love you for it.

-Sea treasure is a good option, Shipwreck gives you the option to fight a weak force and Skull island a strong one. If you are strong enough winning those battles gives you a BIG payout (20k for the latter) but even if you wimp out its still a free 1500g. Exploring ruins gives some money but you have to solve a puzzle.

-Certain factions have less fuss about upkeep. Skaven feature low upkeep basic units that can have their upkeep lowered even further with research and skills, and virtually all their buildings give money on top of whatever they already do (public order, defense, etc) which helps your income scale with your expansion. Tomb Kings are super easy in this regard, their recruitment and upkeep is FREE but you get a cap on better units that require you to build more recruitment buildings to extend the cap. They have a tough start with very weak units but snowball hard midgame and if you hate fussing with upkeep they are great because you focus all your money on building up settlements and using rites.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
okay, so I think Gotrek & Felix has broken my campaign. I use them in raiding stance to bait armies while my fullstack is positioned right in front of them in ambush stance and the AI just can't resist sending a relatively weak stack after what they think is just two dudes raiding only to get easily smashed by my better army, rinse & repeat.

e: this has been possible since the beginning with any lord + hero combo, I just didn't think of doing this since G&F

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 9, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
How do you get them? I heard they were in the game but haven't seen them in the last couple campaigns. Is this like unlocking Reptile in Mortal Kombat or something?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Did you get the free dlc for them? Then you just have to be an order faction and they'll show up randomly on the campaign map

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ShootaBoy posted:

The more you improve your basic play the more you can get done with a simpler army. A doomstack is very appealing but you can field more armies if you have something like Lord, Hero/Caster, dependable mid range front, mid range flank/flank guard, light cavalary, ranged, 1-2 artillery and then 4 elites, which is what my LL stack usually becomes in early to mid-range campaign games. Of course you want more and better units but you need to claim priority targets to support them. You'll get to those big bucks faster and more reliably when you can pull good gameplay wins by outflanking and picking better targets than the AI in battles with simple but dependable units. Some factions make this masterfully easier than others(Dark Elf Darkshards vs most other starter ranged, Dwarf Warriors vs most other starter infantry, etc)

City building counts for a lot. It can seem very unexciting to slam down 1000 bucks for +100 gold a round but think of it more as providing positive income to support another squads upkeep. Having 4+ provinces, 12+ money buildings and synergistic followers/commandments/big buildings(depending on faction and unique location based buildings) can provide 1-2 armies right there.

Pay close attention to your faction. If you're Greenskins your economy sucks, you'd better be raiding and sacking. If you're Dark Elves you need an Ark following you with +Sack built up, it's crazy what kinda dollars you can make there. Other factions may benefit more from economic buildings, some need to raid, others want to give Sack a much harder look than Occupy. Some(especially Hordes) can expect to run deficits that they outpace by raging across the land. Some factions have truly unique circumstances, like Vampire Counts can tech up to free upkeep Skeletons and keep a ridiculous amount of 20 stacks to safeguard their lands. And of course others go the other way(Hordes, Wood Elves aaaaaa, Tomb Kings.)

If you're like me and want to have a defensive army that can move around to deal with the rogue armies that teleport in, rebels while you get a handle on public order or you fear a middle-weight faction might declare and try to take stuff from your exposed side, invest in building up defensive buildings so you have a good garrison, like 8+ units(so T2 or T3.) Then have a roaming Lord with a smaller army, 8-10 units. These armies can be very simple if you're only expecting simple troubles. A 10 unit Rogue Army isn't going to need 5 Dragons to drop it. Since he should be fighting to guard cities he'll get the "other half" of his army from the garrison. When you're learning in Normal/Hard you can try to have one Lord per 1-2 provinces, as you go higher in difficulty you must do more with less because of the upkeep penalty.

Do not ignore diplomacy. Anyone who will trade with you and you don't plan to fight or fear their rivals is free money if they'll take the agreement. The cheapest defense is to be adjacent to a good friend who aggressors have to push through to bother you. A good neighbor can cover 1/2 of your land easily and he pays his own upkeeps!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 9, 2020

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ShootaBoy posted:

Panfilo posted:

Depends a bit on the faction you are playing, but in general :

-There is an opportunity cost to armies sitting around doing nothing, so you need to kind of gauge just how many forces you really need at any given time. Recruiting additional armies incurs a 'tax' on your total upkeep, so don't expand too many armies too fast.

-Your garrisons cost nothing to maintain, and I find it more cost effective early game to have a comparatively 'light' army that picks fights within reinforcement range of your Garrison. Every battle involving a Garrison is involving units you didn't need to recruit and maintain. Sitting in ambush stance near your settlements can bait an enemy army into attacking what they think is a 'weak' settlement.

-Certain factions have less fuss about upkeep. Skaven feature low upkeep basic units that can have their upkeep lowered even further with research and skills, and virtually all their buildings give money on top of whatever they already do (public order, defense, etc) which helps your income scale with your expansion. Tomb Kings are super easy in this regard, their recruitment and upkeep is FREE but you get a cap on better units that require you to build more recruitment buildings to extend the cap. They have a tough start with very weak units but snowball hard midgame and if you hate fussing with upkeep they are great because you focus all your money on building up settlements and using rites.

the garrison one was invaluable in 1 when I had a small stack of good units that would move between settlements screening against someone attacking a different part of the frontline

also play Dark Elves and work out the slave market, I'll throw a basic guide up soon

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The real big brain front line for Repanse is “all loving Paladins” because of the insane hero buffs her tech tree has. A ton of Paladins with Grail Vows.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after watching a bunch of Total War videos over the last couple of days, I've decided to give Total Warhammer yet another try in hopes of getting decent at it.

I have both games, and I was going to install TWW2, but I had been thinking about trying a campaign as either the Greenskins or the Warriors of Chaos (since I bought the DLC for the latter). Because of that, I didn't want to try and tackle the massive Mortal Empires campaign map, so I thought about sticking to TWW1 for the time being.

Another reason is because there's a mod in the workshop for TWW1 (dunno if it's available for TWW2) that fleshes out the Chaos faction called Ultimate Chaos. However, I wanted to ask if it was recommended to try if you're not really skilled at the game.

Apart from the Better Camera Mod, I also don't know what other mods are worth checking out.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I would suggest warhammer 2, far more content, balancing and variety.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Max Wilco posted:

So after watching a bunch of Total War videos over the last couple of days, I've decided to give Total Warhammer yet another try in hopes of getting decent at it.

I have both games, and I was going to install TWW2, but I had been thinking about trying a campaign as either the Greenskins or the Warriors of Chaos (since I bought the DLC for the latter). Because of that, I didn't want to try and tackle the massive Mortal Empires campaign map, so I thought about sticking to TWW1 for the time being.

Another reason is because there's a mod in the workshop for TWW1 (dunno if it's available for TWW2) that fleshes out the Chaos faction called Ultimate Chaos. However, I wanted to ask if it was recommended to try if you're not really skilled at the game.

Apart from the Better Camera Mod, I also don't know what other mods are worth checking out.

chaos is probably the worst faction in the game.

grab the community bug fix mod, which just does fifty things. otherwise you're set.

the way mortal empires set up is that it's all of TWW1 with a slightly smaller TWW2 map added on, so I recommend just rolling mortal empires and getting all the benefits of that (which are numerous, though I can't recall immediately) unless your computer is poo, but they tidied up the turn timers. only greenskins "suffer" from it, but that's more because there will actually be powers to your south to deal with. a nice break from dwarves forever.

I would recommend rolling with dwarves first, as they are the most straight forward, obvious faction. All of the second game's crew are complicated in someway, be it skaven's morale management, lizard's total unit disparity or either elves' complete, typically elvish dickish nature of not being able to give their units a straight name and identity. not to say any of them are bad, but it might be difficult to roll with from the get-go

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

If you play TWW2 I would recommend this mod for playing chaos or beastmen. Their campaigns feel pretty futile and pointless when everything you destroy gets resettled 2 turns later and the AI economy cheats mean they don't really care about the setback.

Though on the other hand I'm really not sure I'd recommend chaos to someone just trying to get into the game. They aren't particularly fun. Greenskins are also a little iffy, though CA is going to do a much-needed greenskin rework soon-ish. A lot of people assume chaos will get changed with TWW3 since chaos is likely to be a big part of that game. I know that SFO has revamps for both of these factions but I can't say how good they are since I haven't tried them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

the way mortal empires set up is that it's all of TWW1 with a slightly smaller TWW2 map added on, so I recommend just rolling mortal empires and getting all the benefits of that (which are numerous, though I can't recall immediately) unless your computer is poo, but they tidied up the turn timers. only greenskins "suffer" from it, but that's more because there will actually be powers to your south to deal with. a nice break from dwarves forever.

East now, too. Fuckin' ninja rats will stab you in the rear end while you're surrounded by heavily armored beards with big guns.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gamerofthegame posted:

I would recommend rolling with dwarves first, as they are the most straight forward, obvious faction. All of the second game's crew are complicated in someway, be it skaven's morale management, lizard's total unit disparity or either elves' complete, typically elvish dickish nature of not being able to give their units a straight name and identity. not to say any of them are bad, but it might be difficult to roll with from the get-go

First game of TWW1 I started I think was as the Dwarves, and I did okay, though I struggled with some aspects of the army, and I never finished their campaign. Later I started an Empire campaign, and I managed to finish that one (though only the Short Campaign Victory, I think).

I can't remember what issues I had with the Dwarves. I think it was the lack of cavalry, along with the agents not really seeming to have the same abilities as other agents had (I remember goblin assassins being an issue, but I didn't know how to counter them.)

Vargs posted:

If you play TWW2 I would recommend this mod for playing chaos or beastmen. Their campaigns feel pretty futile and pointless when everything you destroy gets resettled 2 turns later and the AI economy cheats mean they don't really care about the setback.

Though on the other hand I'm really not sure I'd recommend chaos to someone just trying to get into the game. They aren't particularly fun. Greenskins are also a little iffy, though CA is going to do a much-needed greenskin rework soon-ish. A lot of people assume chaos will get changed with TWW3 since chaos is likely to be a big part of that game. I know that SFO has revamps for both of these factions but I can't say how good they are since I haven't tried them.

With both factions, I figured maybe I'd have an easier time, since the general playstyle for them seems to be 'destroy everything' :black101: Plus, I just like the 'style' of the two armies in general (albeit the 40K versions moreso).

I think the other faction I wanted to try was Bretonnia, so it could be that I have really bad taste in picking armies (since I've heard Bretonnia is pretty weak).

Do the mods disable achievements?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Only downside of warhammer 2 over the original is it has far, far more elves.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

My advice would be to install Warhammer 2 which has a ton of QOL stuff you don't want to miss and play a Vortex campaign first. Vortex is more guided and you can ease into it. Less races to worry about, smaller map and has a pretty clear goal/endpoint.

I wouldn't start playing with a Horde faction like Chaos at first. High Elves are really forgiving when you're first starting out and their unit mix is solid. You will have some threats but it's mostly an easy time until the end game. Tyrion is one of the best legendary lords and it's hard to lose with him. It's a pretty fun campaign when you're starting out too.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are they going to overhaul orc still soonish?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The community is pretty sure that is the case.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Somehow no one addressed this, 4 is okay, 8 is better. Even monsters can't really get past 8, and you can add in some warp lighting/jezzrails just in case.
People definitely addressed it, I was one of them: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post502314264

8 is overkill and like Wild Horses said is pretty cheesy. Talking about Skryre gunlines/weapons teams is already eating a lot of cheese though so :shrug:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Next DLC for sure, which we should be hearing about in March/April.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
goodbye mankind

thanks for the dishrag

post campaign thoughts:

- lore of the wilds sucks
- minotaurs rock
- centigors rock
- bestigors rock
- i will fly the flag for warhounds in any army until my dying day
- automatically declaring war on all factions when the End Times occurred was a surprise
- if Archaon spent as much time focussing down the order factions as he did playing whack-a-mole with Clan Moulder and getting killed by Heinrich bloody Kemmler then we'd have slaughtered the Dwarfs by now. as it is I'm done with this campaign

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 9, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sweet, orc has so much potential and the current breoniaempire superstate is a little rough.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

Do the mods disable achievements?

hell the loving no otherwise no one would use them

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

pnutz posted:

who give a single gently caress about cheevos

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Scandalous posted:

goodbye mankind

thanks for the dishrag

post campaign thoughts:

- lore of the wilds sucks
- minotaurs rock
- centigors rock
- bestigors rock
- i will fly the flag for warhounds in any army until my dying day
- automatically declaring war on all factions when the End Times occurred was a surprise
- if Archaon spent as much time focussing down the order factions as he did playing whack-a-mole with Clan Moulder and getting killed by Heinrich bloody Kemmler then we'd have slaughtered the Dwarfs by now. as it is I'm done with this campaign

Beast men made me realize how fantastic high-speed units are, because those bad boys ZOOM.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

jokes posted:

Beast men made me realize how fantastic high-speed units are, because those bad boys ZOOM.

I did an SFO beastmen campaign recently with an army of almost entirely vanguard deployment Gors and Slaangors and it was a blast. They're fast as gently caress and close the gap pretty much instantly. Whole lot of 2 minute battles, but in a good way.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pnutz posted:

what

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

who give a single gently caress about cheevos

I think cheevos are one of those things that you either care about obsessively or care about not at all.

I'm in the latter camp.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i actively strive to get achievements for armies i really like (skaven) and then ignore them for lesser factions (all the rest)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

i actively strive to get achievements for armies i really like (skaven) and then ignore them for lesser factions (all the rest)

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Kanos posted:

I think cheevos are one of those things that you either care about obsessively or care about not at all.

I'm in the latter camp.

I don't really look up how to get achievements, but when I get one I occasionally tab out and see what it was for on Steam. So I guess there is a middle ground.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I do the cheevos for whatever faction I’m playing, they’re nice goals

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Lore of the wild kicks rear end

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Uh, why is Kroq-gar starting his own ritual in the Vortex campaign while I'm playing as Gor-rok? Am I competing with him? Am I helping him out or?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ardent Communist posted:

I don't really look up how to get achievements, but when I get one I occasionally tab out and see what it was for on Steam. So I guess there is a middle ground.

Yeah this is how I play too for the most part. Recently I realized I haven't actually finished a campaign since WH1 so I did legendary vampire coast and skaven vortex campaigns and got the achievements. Now I am the 1%.

Double Bill posted:

I wish the "bad guys" of the old continent (VC, Greenskins, Norsca, Chaos) were not such pushovers, my Skaven campaigns always end up like this:

Literal forever-wars against Dwarfs, Empire and Bretonnia all by myself because everyone who might be of help went extinct ages ago.

There are mods you can get to buff/nerf different factions at the beginning of the game. I like it when the bad guys stay alive longer as well, but mostly because I want a wider variety of stuff to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

Lore of the wild kicks rear end
I liked the cheap explosion but that’s the only spell I really got much use out of. Devolve seems to do barely anything, the single-target damage spell ticks like once, the attack buff is single-target, and I usually had a cygor in my stacks plus a bray herd so I didn’t have room or need for the summon. I put a shadow caster in a different stack and got much more use out of it. Am I missing something?

Edit: I tell a lie, got some use out of the breath spell too, but that’s still two passable spells, plus the summon.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 10, 2020