Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

I cant believe Im saying this but Yu-gi-oh Duel Links for the DS is probably the best single player card game ever made. It has basically one thing Id tweak about it but otherwise is the model for how to design your long running card game into a single player experience.

I just busted out my DS from the closet yesterday and have been looking for games to play on it. Which Yu-gi-oh game are you talking about? Duel Links looks to be an ios/android thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

the difference, the very big difference, is that the batman combat is autopiloting and has no expression. the enemy archetypes are a surprise once and then sit into your normal routine. it rewards doing combat in a single way and anything else isnt just ineffective, it doesnt work. the complex maneuvering in those games is to facillitate offense, and you have actual options and approaches, in fact the entire point of them is to mess around to find pointlessly stylish ways to kill things for the sake of it. batman doesnt have that, its painting by numbers and insanely dull. theres no flair or expression and no avenues for it, and the "flawless offense" is mindnumbingly simple to achieve. it aims to create visually exciting fights through canned animations rather than letting you have an exciting fight.

ill take a game trying something else for combat over a batman copy every day of the week.

Yeah, I’m just going to assume you haven’t played a Batman game beyond Asylum because to say you have no options is an outright lie. More so than any action game that lets you run away endlessly until you turn around and fight Batman is about analyzing the environment and controlling the crowd. When you’ve got a guy with a stun baton in your face, two separate dudes trying to open gun lockers, and a bruiser between them you’re not painting by numbers.

The worst thing in character action games is how many little cheats are used to inflate difficulty. Like I know I’ll hate a game when I maneuver behind an enemy or stun lock them with skillful play and they’ve got some kind of Guilty Gear rear end tech hit or 360 degree AoE attack while soaking damage unperturbed. Like without fail the hardest enemies in every From Software game are the ones that will track you mid-attack and god it sucks so bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkham combat is fine. Sometimes I just want low depth combat that looks cool where I don't have to think a lot to do well. You have plenty of cool gadgets to vary it up too so you can do a surprising amount of stuff (especially after Asylum).

It should have stayed in the Arkham series though because that style of combat really suffers from overexposure since there really isn't much to it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 9, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Mordor games would have been better w/ GoW combat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shadow of Mordor had a seriously boring map imo

Still a good game but like. drat that place was boring.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got every single trivia question right on this weekend's LearnedLeague quiz on video game sounds, feeling like a Real Gamer right now

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nier is very good, evidence: 2b's massive thicc rear end breaking my neck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ms Adequate posted:

Nier is very good, evidence: 2b's massive thicc rear end breaking my neck

2B's voice actress was insanely good. In both languages.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Just completed: Heaven's Vault.

The good: Very nice feel to the learning of language and history intertwined. The depth of the history thus learned is enough to keep my interest throughout. Excellent characterization and music. Worth completing and holds up until the end.

The not so good: Gameplay is slow and a bit repetitive. Definitely a game to play in hour-long chunks every so often instead of mainlining. Translation gameplay is *almost* excellent and then gets forced into English syntax.

The cat:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

precision posted:

Shadow of Mordor had a seriously boring map imo

Still a good game but like. drat that place was boring.

The sequel has more maps with more interesting designs. The first one was just the bog standard ubisoft open-world map template, but the second one they got some people who were more into engaging map making.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

The sequel has more maps with more interesting designs. The first one was just the bog standard ubisoft open-world map template, but the second one they got some people who were more into engaging map making.

I just didn't like how the whole map was pretty much just a war zone with very little geographical diversity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I’m just going to assume you haven’t played a Batman game beyond Asylum because to say you have no options is an outright lie. More so than any action game that lets you run away endlessly until you turn around and fight Batman is about analyzing the environment and controlling the crowd. When you’ve got a guy with a stun baton in your face, two separate dudes trying to open gun lockers, and a bruiser between them you’re not painting by numbers.

The worst thing in character action games is how many little cheats are used to inflate difficulty. Like I know I’ll hate a game when I maneuver behind an enemy or stun lock them with skillful play and they’ve got some kind of Guilty Gear rear end tech hit or 360 degree AoE attack while soaking damage unperturbed. Like without fail the hardest enemies in every From Software game are the ones that will track you mid-attack and god it sucks so bad.

ive beat asylum, city, origins and knight lol its literally so basic, its one way. its the most mind numbingly dull system of combat anyones ever come up with and you do have no options. even what you just described is absolutely painting by numbers because there is one solution to this problem, and the game will literally tell you it.

this is the fundamental difference really, in one genre you are given a blank canvas and a comical amount of possible things to do and just left to do whatever feels cool. in batman combat you are a given routine. when i say no options im not lying. the paltry gadgets are not "options" in city 3 of your "options" have the exact same outcome with a slightly different visual representation its a joke. options let you actually approach the combat in a novel way and discover fun stuff to do. theres no discovery in batman, its a puzzle to be solved except the puzzle is "put the square peg in the square hole".

the second statement is just pure salt and i wont embarrass us both by pretending its legitimate

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

the second statement is just pure salt and i wont embarrass us both by pretending its legitimate

lmao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

ive beat asylum, city, origins and knight lol its literally so basic, its one way. its the most mind numbingly dull system of combat anyones ever come up with and you do have no options. even what you just described is absolutely painting by numbers because there is one solution to this problem, and the game will literally tell you it.

this is the fundamental difference really, in one genre you are given a blank canvas and a comical amount of possible things to do and just left to do whatever feels cool. in batman combat you are a given routine. when i say no options im not lying. the paltry gadgets are not "options" in city 3 of your "options" have the exact same outcome with a slightly different visual representation its a joke. options let you actually approach the combat in a novel way and discover fun stuff to do. theres no discovery in batman, its a puzzle to be solved except the puzzle is "put the square peg in the square hole".

ah yes, my many options of light attack, heavy attack, and dodge roll. Can’t wait to see how this is stretched over 10 hours.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

ah yes, my many options of light attack, heavy attack, and dodge roll. Can’t wait to see how this is stretched over 10 hours.

Dark souls is in fact not a character action game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Batman combat is deffo a rhythm game but that can be good

I appreciate it feeling pretty good at dealing with huge crowds without it just degenerating into musou "hit 20 people with one hit every time"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish people would stop calling any combat system with a timing element rhythm games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d just like more action games with aggressive enemies. It seems like a lot of them, even DMCV, have enemies just waiting around waiting to be attacked. Ninja Gaiden is still the best at making you feel like you are winning by the skin of your teeth. Bayonetta with witch time turned off gets there too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

I wish people would stop calling any combat system with a timing element rhythm games

I dunno, I feel like Arkham combat fits the bill because timing with the right button is 90% of it and positioning is nearly irrelevant, any fighting system where you rubber-band up to 5 feet as long as you hit the right button at the right time feels rhythm game-y

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
See, Rock Steady games have combat like this: bing bang bom.
And From Soft games have combat like this: whick whack woo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Batman game combat is "different" but honestly it's one of the most fun, skillful, and badass fighting engines in recent memory

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Batman combat is legit satisfying and fun.
Soulsborne combat is janky as all hell and the satisfaction comes from finishing a combat.
Journey vs destination.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

precision posted:

Batman game combat is "different" but honestly it's one of the most fun, skillful, and badass fighting engines in recent memory

Technically learning to press the yellow button on your controller when the game shows a yellow mark on the screen is a skill but it's still just the one skill.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Batman combat is legit satisfying and fun.
Soulsborne combat is janky as all hell and the satisfaction comes from finishing a combat.
Journey vs destination.

Cool if you feel this way, but I feel the exact opposite, so we should probably look at this as more a matter of opinion than outright fact.

I get satisfaction from dark souls combat, not just "finishing". And I get no satisfaction from slamming through the same guys over and over in batman same way I have already in 10 assassin's creed games.

Which is why its good the AC games have tried to grow their combat to be slightly more soulslike and less repetitive. More intentional, deeper controls.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Technically learning to press the yellow button on your controller when the game shows a yellow mark on the screen is a skill but it's still just the one skill.

Arkham combat is about crowd control, not about pressing the counter button at the right time. It doesn't have that much depth but there's more to it than that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can we all just agree that maxing Lift in ME1 is the most satisfying that combat has been in video game history? Your lying if you disagree. Lifting some poor shmuck into orbit is as good as it gets.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Removing ME1’s rag dolling powers was indeed tragic.

hatty posted:

I’d just like more action games with aggressive enemies. It seems like a lot of them, even DMCV, have enemies just waiting around waiting to be attacked. Ninja Gaiden is still the best at making you feel like you are winning by the skin of your teeth. Bayonetta with witch time turned off gets there too.

I need to get around to Senior but don’t the enemies in that become more aggressive the more defensive you play? I’ve seen people do extremely well fighting like monkeys while some people just guarding and sidestepping enemies will turn into a tornado of death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best way to control the crowd is to press the matching coloured button at the right time.

I get what you're saying, and it actually applies to Middle Earth Shadows of War, since they give you the tools, and built the systems to make crowd control fun and intentional. In Batman it's just a simple matter of being overwhelmed slows down progress in finishing a combat encounter so sometimes you need to use a directional button to move outside the magnet-snap dancefloor for a moment.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

The best way to control the crowd is to press the matching coloured button at the right time.

I get what you're saying, and it actually applies to Middle Earth Shadows of War, since they give you the tools, and built the systems to make crowd control fun and intentional. In Batman it's just a simple matter of being overwhelmed slows down progress in finishing a combat encounter so sometimes you need to use a directional button to move outside the magnet-snap dancefloor for a moment.

I'm not sure how you played Batman but that's extremely not true. Did you only play Asylum or something because the combat system in it is way rougher than the sequels?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

I just busted out my DS from the closet yesterday and have been looking for games to play on it. Which Yu-gi-oh game are you talking about? Duel Links looks to be an ios/android thing.

Sorry youre right duelist link is the mobile game, but sadly for you the game Im talking about is for the switch. The name is Yu-gi-oh Evolution of the Duelist: Link Evolution, hence when I probably thought it was Duelist Link.

I genuinely want to yell in Hasbro's phone about it because its core concept is what Magic has been loving up for years

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

I don't think you played the games

Especially the challenge room modes

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I love videogames and I've been playing since I was a wee Childe but I am not actually all that good at them

I'd say I'm average to slightly above or below average depending on the genre. I feel kind of ashamed when I see people talking about how easy a boss is when it's a brick wall for me, Capra Demon probably took me like 20 tries when I first met him

If I really like a game though I'll invest the time to learn everything, usually FPS games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I love videogames and I've been playing since I was a wee Childe but I am not actually all that good at them

I'd say I'm average to slightly above or below average depending on the genre. I feel kind of ashamed when I see people talking about how easy a boss is when it's a brick wall for me, Capra Demon probably took me like 20 tries when I first met him

If I really like a game though I'll invest the time to learn everything, usually FPS games

Capra demon is generally regarded as one of the harder bosses in Dark souls for new players.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat in batman is both boring to me as well as doesnt click in my brain well and the AI actually controlling batman, max, wei shen, whoever seemingly hates me so they likes to fly off at people I dont want them to and very regularly seems to just whiff attacks which is a super good feeling that I dont certainly hate. I know it really works for some people but Arkham derived combat makes me mentally check out from games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Combat in batman is both boring to me as well as doesnt click in my brain well and the AI actually controlling batman, max, wei shen, whoever seemingly hates me so they likes to fly off at people I dont want them to and very regularly seems to just whiff attacks which is a super good feeling that I dont certainly hate. I know it really works for some people but Arkham derived combat makes me mentally check out from games.

Outside of the three main Arkham games the targeting is pretty much always busted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I don't think you played the games

poor form precision

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like monster hunter combat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Playing Asylum atm and combat feels a loooot jankier than it did in City or Knight.

Like it's very difficult to chain combos together in free flow, where I remember it being this lovely ballet of action you could pull off.

Scarecrow sections still rule :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

poor form precision

I'm just saying, he's like... objectively wrong. Arkham combat isn't "press button when you see prompt" especially not when there's a big crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Khanstant posted:

lol somebody has been playing on the lower difficulties.