Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That one Seanchan dude that was questioning Mat and then watched him wreck like 6 trollocs single handedly and promoted him to the Low Blood absolutely is gonna be telling some hardcore stories about God of War Bloody-handed Knotai and his terrible staring eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
People exaggerate and invent details to stories unnecessarily in real life all the time so I don't see why that would annoy you in a book.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kchama posted:

IF it's 'thousand year phone tag' it's different, but 'contemporaneous people knowingly making up bullshit to make Mat sound cooler' is not very interesting.

See, none of what I said was bullshit. Hell, it's barely exaggerated. Mat does have the knowledge of at least hundreds of Great Generals crammed in his brain, and has become a Great General himself. He did command the most public part of the Last Battle while Rand was otherwise occupied. He does crush his enemies with smoke and fire (the dragons). His exceptional luck is his stated superpower. He did technically steal Tuon, he did technically capture his own damane, he did technically blow the Horn. He has a rather obvious strangulation mark from where he was hanged, but he's still very much alive. There were questions asked about his status as one of the heroes of the Horn, and he did politely request Hawkwing to have a chat with Tuon. It does not take much for a few misinformed soldiers to jumble up some causes and effects and get some wild rumors.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

rndmnmbr posted:

See, none of what I said was bullshit. Hell, it's barely exaggerated. Mat does have the knowledge of at least hundreds of Great Generals crammed in his brain, and has become a Great General himself. He did command the most public part of the Last Battle while Rand was otherwise occupied. He does crush his enemies with smoke and fire (the dragons). His exceptional luck is his stated superpower. He did technically steal Tuon, he did technically capture his own damane, he did technically blow the Horn. He has a rather obvious strangulation mark from where he was hanged, but he's still very much alive. There were questions asked about his status as one of the heroes of the Horn, and he did politely request Hawkwing to have a chat with Tuon. It does not take much for a few misinformed soldiers to jumble up some causes and effects and get some wild rumors.

He also had that ruby hilted dagger he stole from Mordeth, and it's believable to me that elements of that story get garbled and mixed in with all the other unbelievable stuff he does

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I might need to read TGS again. That conversation Rand has with Tam, even before he flips out, is all kinds of disturbing. "You did the world a great service by raising the Dragon Reborn".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I might need to read TGS again. That conversation Rand has with Tam, even before he flips out, is all kinds of disturbing. "You did the world a great service by raising the Dragon Reborn".

Yeah it's...it's a little hard to read.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That conversation with Tam wasn't Rand's darkest hour, but it was definitely ours. To see him so damaged and broken that he had no love for his own father, at that moment we all knew there was nothing left of him but madness.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
It was rough, especially since it was the reunion I'd been waiting for since Rand left Edmond's Field.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It really was, but it was made up for by their meeting in Towers of Midnight.

"There is someone I want to introduce to you."
"It's been three days, Rand. I've already met her."

His dad laughing at him and his wife sighing.

"She's very special to me." :kiddo:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I always liked how Tam came out of that one meeting with Rand. "What the gently caress did you do to my son," at the Aes Sedai instead of being angry at Rand himself.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tam owns

Also Rand saving Tam saved him in the end

Time is a wheel

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pleads posted:

I always liked how Tam came out of that one meeting with Rand. "What the gently caress did you do to my son," at the Aes Sedai instead of being angry at Rand himself.

That was a damned good scene, he just did not give a poo poo what Cadsuane did to him, she was going to hear his piece no matter how lovely she was being.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

It always bemused me a little that various characters took longer to realize the significance of Tam, especially given that he was probably somebody a lot of the people in power had legitimately heard of before. He had been second in command of one of the elite formations during the last big war and was a blademaster with a power wrought blade.

I suspect if people had known who Rand's father was in the early books they would have reacted to him very differently.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thinking about it, that scene with Semirhage would film wonderfully.

Establish through various scenes with Ishamael and Moridin what the Saa are. Show Semirhage take control of Rand and have him choke Min with his back to the camera. Then the Domination Band explodes from his neck and he turns back to face her with his eyes black.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the casting of Roose as Tam.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

That conversation with Tam wasn't Rand's darkest hour, but it was definitely ours. To see him so damaged and broken that he had no love for his own father, at that moment we all knew there was nothing left of him but madness.

That was one of Cadsuane's biggest gently caress ups too. She knows he's completely unstable and is tired of being played and she has no better idea than try to play him this openly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

That was one of Cadsuane's biggest gently caress ups too. She knows he's completely unstable and is tired of being played and she has no better idea than try to play him this openly.

I mean, he'd banished her under pain of death at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, he'd banished her under pain of death at this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

There's desperate measures, and there's what she did. Tam had no idea what was really going on, and a significant part of it was caused by Cadsuane and the other Aes Sedai's treatment of him. If she'd been honest and told him the whole story, it might have gone differently. She didn't, and Tam rightfully called her out on her poo poo. She really needed that comeuppance Tam gave her. She's not infallible, nor is she in charge.

Any of the Aes Sedai's plans generally boiled down to "Lock his rear end up, we let him out under controlled circumstances to fulfill the prophecies and otherwise leave him shielded in a locked room." There were variations, but even Cadsuane's wasn't much different. The pattern was obviously going to force the prophecies regardless of Aes Sedai actions, so how they thought their plan would work is beyond me.

Hell, they didn't even know about the Seafolk or Aiel prophecies, what was their plan when an army of Aiel showed up and said "Hey, hand him the gently caress over"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hole up behind the shining walls in the winter and oh they tried that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

seaborgium posted:

There's desperate measures, and there's what she did. Tam had no idea what was really going on, and a significant part of it was caused by Cadsuane and the other Aes Sedai's treatment of him. If she'd been honest and told him the whole story, it might have gone differently. She didn't, and Tam rightfully called her out on her poo poo. She really needed that comeuppance Tam gave her. She's not infallible, nor is she in charge.

Any of the Aes Sedai's plans generally boiled down to "Lock his rear end up, we let him out under controlled circumstances to fulfill the prophecies and otherwise leave him shielded in a locked room." There were variations, but even Cadsuane's wasn't much different. The pattern was obviously going to force the prophecies regardless of Aes Sedai actions, so how they thought their plan would work is beyond me.

Hell, they didn't even know about the Seafolk or Aiel prophecies, what was their plan when an army of Aiel showed up and said "Hey, hand him the gently caress over"?

I don't disagree with any of your points, and Tam calling her out was completely deserved.

But you've just witnessed the so-called saviour of the world turn into an utter monster without the slightest shred of conscience or humanity left in him. At that point, I'd be throwing his father at him too. Hell, I'd be throwing his childhood toys, the swimming hole he used to like, his first bib, a cute puppy, whatever.

I'm not saying Cadsuane was right to do what she did, I'm saying her actions are completely understandable within her character. I mean, what do you do when you realise that your hero is actually the bad guy, and the world is almost certainly doomed?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Patrat posted:

It always bemused me a little that various characters took longer to realize the significance of Tam, especially given that he was probably somebody a lot of the people in power had legitimately heard of before. He had been second in command of one of the elite formations during the last big war and was a blademaster with a power wrought blade.

I suspect if people had known who Rand's father was in the early books they would have reacted to him very differently.

I dunno, a big theme in Wheel of Time is a lot of the people in power are super incompetent unless you live in Caemlyn and your name isn't Elayne. Not like Trump would be able to name any generals from 20 years ago.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Neal! posted:

I dunno, a big theme in Wheel of Time is a lot of the people in power are super incompetent unless you live in Caemlyn and your name isn't Elayne. Not like Trump would be able to name any generals from 20 years ago.

But Elaida lived in Caemyln for some time????

Also Gawyn etc. etc

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Well I finally did it. I finished the series. Its been a couple days now and I still don't know how i feel about it. Not the series, just the fact that I'm done. Part of it is definitely that AMOL is exhausting as gently caress. I don't have much to say that hasn't been already, but I'm more or less satisfied with how everything turned out.

I think I'm gonna read something light before I delve back into tryhard fantasy.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But Elaida lived in Caemyln for some time????

Also Gawyn etc. etc

Good point. Everyone is dumb and out of touch except for like one or two kings or queens that come once every 1000 years and likely have really dumb kids.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Neal! posted:

Good point. Everyone is dumb and out of touch except for like one or two kings or queens that come once every 1000 years and likely have really dumb kids.

So a story about humans then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kyle Hyde posted:

Well I finally did it. I finished the series. Its been a couple days now and I still don't know how i feel about it. Not the series, just the fact that I'm done. Part of it is definitely that AMOL is exhausting as gently caress. I don't have much to say that hasn't been already, but I'm more or less satisfied with how everything turned out.

I think I'm gonna read something light before I delve back into tryhard fantasy.

i think that's one thing that makes me excited to finally read through all of it. people seem overall pretty fine with how it all ends up even with another writer handling it at the end.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think that's one thing that makes me excited to finally read through all of it. people seem overall pretty fine with how it all ends up even with another writer handling it at the end.

Yeah. For a series of this magnitude, I gotta say Sanderson did a great job wrapping things up. I felt emotions, intellectual curiosities were explored, it felt epic as hell and I feel like it paid in full on its promise by the end.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't much like Sanderson as a writer and his WoT books have their flaws but he did a decent job of it. Considering what a tough job it must have been to pick up such a long running series from another author you can't really complain much.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah he didn't like get to meet with Jordan or anything either it was all decided post death.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The best part of finishing the series is doing a re-read! Or listening to the audiobooks. There is so much I missed the first time, having a base familiarity helps a lot in appreciating the story

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I'm rereading all of Robin Hobb at the moment (which is great!) and I've been considering doing a reread of Jordan after. Seriously considering just reading to Dumai's Wells and then just skipping to Knife of Dreams or something. I know I'll be missing some cool stuff but I just don't think I can deal with that meandering middle section of the series again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Neal! posted:

I'm rereading all of Robin Hobb at the moment (which is great!) and I've been considering doing a reread of Jordan after. Seriously considering just reading to Dumai's Wells and then just skipping to Knife of Dreams or something. I know I'll be missing some cool stuff but I just don't think I can deal with that meandering middle section of the series again.

It might actually be easier to deal with.

It's the same with people having a different appreciation of early Nynaeve, or whatever.

Anyway, I find that I don't skip anything when I was doing re-reads. There's tons of interesting things that I've either forgotten, or turn out to have later relevance. Even off-hand comments in passing have layers of juicy juicy irony.

Obvious examples: Rand telling MIn "I'd sooner cut off an arm than hurt you"
or
Some wisdom in Tear telling the supergirls "I've never heard of 3 girls running off to chase after one man before"

It's fun!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 11, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

How are u posted:

He's like some stupid Jordan Peterson alt-right youtuber but immortal and with magic.

Graendal convinced him to go on an all-beef diet and exiled him to Russia?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean the Bore is right there

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I mean the Bore is right there

Well, NOW it certainly is

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 11, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
welp, forgot about Elida raping that grey sister.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Yeah that poo poo was dark as gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Soonmot posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember that one at all

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember that one at all

In a position of absolute authority, knowing a subordinate (who was also an old ex) was duty bound to stay close and spy, bullied said ex into sleeping with her and tormented her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Getting some Midsommar vibes.