Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
#notmyNightcrawler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kalli posted:

Balance is pretty drat hard, and that's in games where things aren't half as slapdash as the manually turn on events game.

Players: Why's this event running beyond schedule?
Gaz: Uh... we have to manually start and end events, and the guy who does that for us is on vacation.

:allears:

You will never find another game with a developer like this, shitlords.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

And then the final surprise twist combination, "hey we just shut down the office so the game's dying a month and a half early bye" on a Friday

followed by the game being playable until mid-Sunday, because no one was there to turn it off.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
someone break into gaz hq and flip that switch back on :eek:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I think the most competent thing that Gaz did in its whole lifetime was managing to not leak the server code to the public. I didn't believe they would have that in them

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This game's been dead for ages, genuinely curious, why you still posting here? is there a private server or something?

I played this a bit and it was ok, I put $20 in and then didn't spend it on anything

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

tithin posted:

This game's been dead for ages, genuinely curious, why you still posting here? is there a private server or something?

I played this a bit and it was ok, I put $20 in and then didn't spend it on anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BM-Q3BDrkw

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

tithin posted:

we discuss the latest david btrvik news (hes doing a starwars arpg)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

tithin posted:

Because there was nothing quite like it and we just can't quite let go.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

see you guys in seven years when the secret server goes public

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i for one hope this dumb thread lives forever

all you posters in here are good people and i salute you o7

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the best part of this game was this thread and i don't see why we should give that up just because we no longer have a game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tithin posted:

Those of us posting sunk thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars into the game. We made good friends and had great times.

We have great memories, and enjoy reliving them.

Except ICR, apparently. He's been avoiding the thread…

SON OF A BITCH! He's involved in a private server, isn't he? He better share with us!

LordSaturn posted:

see you guys in seven years when the secret server goes public

It worked for City Of Heroes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

Because there was nothing quite like it and we just can't quite let go.

It was so fun and so brain dead. I could either actually play and work towards a build, or I could get shithammered after a long day and run around midtown splatting a bunch of comic book villains while pretty colors flew around everywhere.

God drat do I want another game like this. Especially after MUA3 sucked really hard.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Kheldarn posted:

SON OF A BITCH! He's involved in a private server, isn't he? He better share with us!

you know GOD drat well he isn't playing there either. he doesn't get involved with games until he can invoke his PR mode and make a thread and/or discord channel

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe
I started with the $200 full pack with all the heroes, bought every other one, along with all the toys, rando boxes for buffs, bonuses, and whatevs and then at some point did a spreadsheet on my 6th cosmic to figure how much I had spent. I am not a normally whale at all but it was easily the most I have ever spent on a game, and well, on a PC, for that matter. It completely changed the way I spend money on in-game purchases. And still the company died. And still I come to this thread. And still check for invites to the secret server.

rhinohelix fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 9, 2020

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Apparently I spent just $264.77.

More than I should have, less than I thought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My first purchase was the advance pack with special bonus ghost rider that I bought after the offer had expired thanks to this very thread pming me a link directly to the store page's 'add to basket' button function that still worked weeks later because even that was :gaz:

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Bought the deluxe advanced snack pack second edition. Twice. Worth it.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Gibbering Madness posted:

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I paid $.83 per hour of entertainment I got out of the game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Lozareth posted:

I paid $.83 per hour of entertainment I got out of the game.

How about the other hours?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I have no idea how much I spent, because I bought a bunch of cheap codes off ebay in addition to whatever I actually spent on steam. I don't think I've ever spent more on a game, maybe wow if you add up everything since 2004.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I'm still praying the source code turns up one day. Doomsaw has a secret backup somewhere, like that guy who found the source code for starcraft a few years back.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Gibbering Madness posted:

one of my proudest moments from grad school

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

tithin posted:

If there was suCH a thing as a privatE server I’m sure it would get shut down quiCKly, Private servers are MagnetS for litigation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I spent at least $350 through Steam on this dumb dead game. Outside of my subscription to COH, it's the most I've ever spent on a game.

And I don't regret any of it.

FastestGunAlive posted:

If there was suCH a thing as a privatE server I’m sure it would get shut down quiCKly, Private servers are MagnetS for litigation.

Probably, but Me, i chooSe to hope A city of heRoEs happEns, and by the tiMe they find out about a Private server, it's all over The ineternetY.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 9, 2020

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

I know I Would love for a server To just Fall into my lap some how...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My first purchase was Thingcognito, which also made it my best purchase. I had planned to purchase an African Goddess Storm costume too for my wife as a gift, but this was before gifting was in the game so I messaged Doomsaw to ask if they could transfer it from my account to hers, and Doomsaw just went ahead and gave it to her for free.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

802.11weed posted:

what was the hardest character to play? i remember mr strange had a lot of buttons??

Strange had a lot of buttons, but you could mash them in pretty much any order and do okay.

Like, when I did this ttk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSqr5ntSmbo most of my DPS abilities were just tossed into a single mouse macro that I spammed.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

It would be really cool to play marvel heroes again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Those of us posting sunk thousands of hours and hundreds of dollars into the game. We made good friends and had great times.

We have great memories, and enjoy reliving them.

Except ICR, apparently. He's been avoiding the thread…

There's no way in hell icer could ever play anything in secret

I spent six hundred dollars on this game over about two years and 3,500 played hours. Gaming is a helluva drug.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Majin posted:

I know I Would love for a server To just Fall into my lap some how...

Same

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I wonder if a private server would be as much fun as the live servers. Without active development and new stuff all the time it might lose it's charm. I expect it would still be full of hilarious bugs though.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Probably, but Me, i chooSe to hope A city of heRoEs happEns, and by the tiMe they find out about a Private server, it's all over The ineternetY.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think the most competent thing that Gaz did in its whole lifetime was managing to not leak the server code to the public. I didn't believe they would have that in them

Has there been a game made after 2010 that's had a private server spun up or an aprg? Also I'm sure Disney made sure this wouldn't happen by sending in competent people to take care of it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I miss this stupid game even though I spent possibly a shameful amount of money on it. No other ARPG has scratched the same itch.

Never did cosmic: only got prestiged Star Lord like, once.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Has there been a game made after 2010 that's had a private server spun up or an aprg? Also I'm sure Disney made sure this wouldn't happen by sending in competent people to take care of it.

gaz tried to shut the game down once and it stayed up for 3 extra days cos they forgot where they left the servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I want the iggy.

I prestiged everybody I liked to a color that worked for them, which was good for some people (Hulk green! Hulk purple maybe!), less for others (red for Cyclops) and then, why am I alive and in this world (Taskmaster only works with Cosmic Yellow, friends).