Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kustomkarkommando posted:

FG win through controversial VAR decision

They don't call him Leonardo De VARadkar for nothing. He invented that machine after all.

And another machine that wakes up early in the morning to go hunt down welfare cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So whoever promises SF the most wins then.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Entropy238 posted:

So there's going to be a huge push for any party in power to have the state build houses.

Historically, FF did build social housing and won votes for life on the back of it. The only FF TD who would probably still heed that lesson is Eamon O Cuiv, the grandson of the man who got those houses built. The rest of the party hear what people are saying about housing and acknowledge it, but are so in hock to developers that Michael Martin must have felt he had to engage in constitutional snivelry to justify no rent freezes. Like, the gently caress? Would a rent freeze impinge on a landlord's Good Name by implying he is not ever-magnanimous with his tenants? Martin hosed up with that Dobson interview.

FG won't do poo poo about housing because they're the party of landlords and big money. Also, Eoghan Murphy was never a Minister for Housing, because the title is a misnomer when it comes to FF/FG. He was in effect the Minister for People with Houses and performed his duties admirably in that regard.

Currently, I'm looking to get a house in the next 3 months before FF (who are likely to form the next govt) completely price me out of a home within any reasonable distance to work in Limerick and I'm at my loving limit already. Despite living with my parents and saving a grand a month, half my net pay. Last week they were bitching about the central bank, claiming it wanted people renting forever. They're desperate for house prices to go up and in my view will try to circumvent the central bank to increase them. Govt loans, massive help to buy, whatever it takes. I don't want to live in a society where my only function in life is to go to work, bitch about the commute and listen to bitching about the commute on Newstalk, pay the landlord his exorbitant cut, because I have no choice. Pay the car insurer his loving ludicrous cut as insurance is mandatory and gently caress you the exec wants his new Audi. I don't want to be part of Generation Tenant. I never paid rent in my life and never will. gently caress you FF/FG.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 9, 2020

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Remember part of FF's cunning plan to increase housing stock is to provide generous tax breaks to the construction industry - a good bit of the auld tender corruption to funnel some public money to the right fellas to meet housing targets agreed as a price of coalition while giving their mates in the construction sector a helping hand is so insanely FF its almost the joke you'd come up with if you someone asked you to come up with a policy for them.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Who ever gets in needs to sort out the shambles that is public transport in this country.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you look at the exit poll it looks like at least 41% of Irish people put down left/social democratic parties that are up for building gaffs as their first preference vote share. That's a pretty strong message, and something positive should come of it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Who ever gets in needs to sort out the shambles that is public transport in this country.

One extra bridge over the river Shannon north of UL would do the trick for Limerick and to be fair the plans are there. Even then it still doesn't sort out UL's problem as there will still only be two ways out Castletroy effectively for UL and J&J workers. But there's literally hundreds of objections and landlords in Castletroy get €1000 minimum a month per house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build a bridge out of the bones of landlords.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

As a plastic paddy (born in dublin, ancestry is irish but raised in London) what are some good websites or podcasts to get into so I can reconnect with my roots.

I used to listen to the irish passport podcast but found ot a bit twee.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

notaspy posted:

As a plastic paddy (born in dublin, ancestry is irish but raised in London) what are some good websites or podcasts to get into so I can reconnect with my roots.

Just follow Ireland Simpsons fans on twitter and yer grand

Standish
May 21, 2001

Peter Casey tallies at 1% in Dublin West and 3.21% in Donegal. So that looks like the end for this particular populist blowhard but I'm sure there'll be another one along next election (anyone remember Declan Ganley?)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

notaspy posted:

Rubberbandits have a podcast.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Rubberbandits have a podcast.

would second this - though it's Marmite to some people, and he talks out of his hole a fair bit, as much as I like him.

Counts are looking good lads - Aontu probably won't get the 2% funding, Gary Gannon will probably beat out the FF candidate if TransferLeft is a real thing, SF outpacing the exit poll nationally...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What about the royalist commie tho?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

What about the royalist commie tho?

he's gotten 63 votes total so far, so not looking great. but when did a royalist ever worry about popular assent?

https://twitter.com/RTEdubSOUTHWEST/status/1226470565038501888/photo/1

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dubliners suck

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/anniewestdotcom...onal-updates%2F

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
oh ffs

https://twitter.com/RTEdubCENTRAL/status/1226488967496962048

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Now the big test of SF's policies comes into play. We're a country reliant on FDI, using tax as sweetener to prop up large office spaces, while having certain industries that are indigenous (food, agriculture, traditionally bio-chem/medicines) How do they arrange their plans to rebalance the economy towards supporting the lesser off while maintaining the global basis of our economy, and keep plans around for what happens if there's a global turndown. If SF were less euroskeptic I could see them approaching the EU to help tilt things towards a broader corporate tax base (the big Irish gamble) but they've always been hesitant about the EU.

I can see them holding off in opposition for another election when they'll run more candidates, and that will mean not seriously engaging with the smaller left parties to create a government. I think that was always their plan and they were caught on the bounce with this election. I'd have no faith in them if they do this. Now's the chance to grab the bull by the horns.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1226476968415301632?s=19

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1226485446672355329?s=19

With quota at ~16.7% definately another future two SF candidate seat - curious to see if the surplus goes to Paul Murphy for Sol-PBP (RISE faction) or the Greens

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So in good news Shane Ross looks like he's getting tossed out.
That's great news, as far as I am concerned.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ah drat it, looking like we will still be cursed with two Healy Raes

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I see no way of either Shane or Leo staying on after all this is over, as they would be seen as responsible for the losses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

are they 'fixed the road' types?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/DundalkDemocrat/status/1226498636282028032?s=19

75% of boxes opened and SF are on 42% here. Combined FF/FG vote less than 30%. Really surprising collapse of the FF vote, it seems.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

are they 'fixed the road' types?

They're the ultimate "fixed the road" types.

PowerBeard posted:

I see no way of either Shane or Leo staying on after all this is over, as they would be seen as responsible for the losses.

It's going to be a bloodbath in FG come Monday and I cannot wait.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Meanwhile in the hellscape of Kildare South:

Irish Times posted:

Sinn Féin’s Patricia Ryan is forecasted to top the poll in Kildare South.

With almost 11 per cent of the boxes tallied, the latest figures show Ryan on 24.7 per cent of the vote and the feeling in her camp is positive.

She’s followed by Fine Gael Parliamentary party chair Martin Heydon (19.1 per cent ) and current Fianna Fáil TD Fiona O’Loughlin on just over 13 per cent.

In fourth position (there are three seats up for grabs in this constituency) at present is Labour’s Mark Wall (12.1 per cent ), with independent Cathal Berry on 9.4 per cent.

Suzanne Doyle (Fianna Fáil) is tallying at 7.3 per cent of the vote at the moment, while her Kildare Co Council colleague Fiona McLoughlin-Healy (Ind) is at 4.9 per cent.

Kind reminder that Patricia Ryan was on her holidays for most of the campaign and people just want SF in at this stage.

Standish
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1226496561036890112
looking forward to our new rulers, combining the integrity of FF with the transparency of SF

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

FF/SF would be the second worst possibility to come from this. FF/FG being the worst.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Even with then denouncing any for of hung government with SF, that's going to be painful and hilarious to watch.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Standish posted:

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1226496561036890112
looking forward to our new rulers, combining the integrity of FF with the transparency of SF

Can't see Martin agreeing to this as he's staked so much publicly on saying never - might be time for a heave? I know there's definately fellas in FF who would want SF as their first pick as coalition

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if SF is surging due to discontent, going into coalition with a more of the same party as a junior partner is probably not the best move

Standish
May 21, 2001

lemonadesweetheart posted:

FF/SF would be the second worst possibility to come from this. FF/FG being the worst.

if somehow they needed to be propped up by the Healy-Raes at the cost of Michael being minister for the environment and Danny being minster for transport, that would be the worst.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Can't see Martin agreeing to this as he's staked so much publicly on saying never - might be time for a heave? I know there's definately fellas in FF who would want SF as their first pick as coalition
That is exactly what the Greens did in 2007, Trevor Sargent spent the campaign swearing that he'd never sit in cabinet with FF, then resigned as leader and in a shocking turn of events was appointed as a Minister of State (technically outside the cabinet) in the ensuing FF-GP coalition.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

if SF is surging due to discontent, going into coalition with a more of the same party as a junior partner is probably not the best move

A couple of weeks ago I would have said they where very ready to go into coalition with FF - polling almost dead heat with them does change that I think.

Only way I can see them biting is if FF agrees to the rent freeze and one month rebate, they get a 50/50 cabinet split and I could even see SF reviving the old Dick Spring demand for a rotating Taoiseach between coalition parties - a demand which would probably seem outlandish to FF but could probably be sold as reasonable to the electorate considering SF's vote share

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah if they can spin it as not actually being junior partners it might work out, but dependent on how strident the present SF leadership has been they might be better served with building towards a centre-left majority coalition - if all the left parties together made 40% vote share in this election, a majority isn't obviously impossible and it might be exactly what they need to push themselves into a largest party position and govern on their own. to do that they'd need to put the price to play up just a little too high for FF to be able to accept, but i don't know where they'd lay that line - it'd have to be something popular that they could leverage when FF refuses or which would be a clear enough victory that it justifies their participation by itself.

then again, take any of my mumblings about irish politics with a pinch of salt, i know basically none of the particulars. all i know is that SF are in a really good position here if they can leverage it

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
SF and FF is bad for SF. I'd say SF let it go to a another election to try capitalise on SF popularity (pushing more candidates).

But it does not mean that will work. A lot of people on the streets buy into SF being leftist and against Ff/FG, it would wipe out their base support to form a coalition.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/RobinCafolla/status/1226511839623876608?s=19

drat this will be a tight one - Lab transfers might save Donohoe but this is a pretty sharp fight for the last two seats

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Foul Ole Ron posted:

SF and FF is bad for SF. I'd say SF let it go to a another election to try capitalise on SF popularity (pushing more candidates).

But it does not mean that will work. A lot of people on the streets buy into SF being leftist and against Ff/FG, it would wipe out their base support to form a coalition.

the flip side to this is if SF can wrest spectacular enough concessions from FF to justify it to their base. SF is in the third party dream position of potentially usurping one of the major parties at the same time as having clear options outside of the established parties. it's going to be interesting, for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1226515977250181122?s=19

yeo