Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Wow that house is a loving dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Morbus posted:

Yes, it turns out massive, sustained government investment into emerging technologies--well before they are commercially ubiquitous or even viable--can secure an economic advantage that lasts for decades. If only there was a plan to do something similar again today...some kind of deal or something.

Most truly good things in society are not profitable on capitalism time scale or at capitalism's margins.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

scumby posted:

Wow that house is a loving dump

When you don’t build new housing, you don’t make the gentrifiers go away, you just make them live in worse places.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Most truly good things in society are not profitable on capitalism time scale or at capitalism's margins.

Yes, capitalism is mostly an engine to consolidate the profits from socially useful work towards people who already have the most money. The best investment a capitalist can make isn't towards future growth; it's towards the acquisition and consolidation of growth that has already been assured through someone else's work and money.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I don't follow this thread anymore because of all the shitposter derails but I wanted to pop in to say how impressed I am with the ballot recommendation page at Silicon Valley DSA. They seem to have somewhat gotten their poo poo together enough to agree on recommendations for most local candidates which is nice. I remember them seeming much more nascent and stubbornly gridlocked just 2 years ago.

https://siliconvalleydsa.org/voters-guide

Also, feels nice to vote for Bernie and Rho Khanna.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very happy that my choices for District 19 are "incumbent who backs the GND and M4A" and "a former Bernie campaign staffer who backs the GND and M4A." :)

DSA has "no recommendations" on our City Council race though, which makes sense because there's literally zero good options:

1. Helen Wang: Republican businesswoman who's primary stated mission goals include expanding our police force and protecting Prop 13
2. Mat Mahan: A former startup CEO who was encouraged to get into politics personally by Mark Zuckerberg (no, that is not a joke). All his campaign materials are whining about "government waste" and how he'll bring the "business sense" he had as a CEO to the city budget.
3. Jenny Bradanini: All her positions are a bunch of mealy mouthed nonsense and she bangs on about "fiscal responsibility" like the other two candidates. Also she ran over and killed a 66 year old man last year while he was trying to grab something out of his car parked on the side of the street, and all I can find about her thoughts on the matter is her thanking her friends and supporters for sticking with her through what was a very trying time for her, and her family. :fuckoff:

Might just leave that section of the ballot blank.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I don't follow this thread anymore because of all the shitposter derails but I wanted to pop in to say how impressed I am with the ballot recommendation page at Silicon Valley DSA. They seem to have somewhat gotten their poo poo together enough to agree on recommendations for most local candidates which is nice. I remember them seeming much more nascent and stubbornly gridlocked just 2 years ago.

https://siliconvalleydsa.org/voters-guide

Also, feels nice to vote for Bernie and Rho Khanna.

Yeah, I joined the SV DSA electoral working group for a short amount of time after the 2018 elections but it looked like most people were relatively new and there was the question of what it would do in off-years. I was big fan of the 2018 DSA-LA guide (https://www.dsa-la.org/2018_general_election_voter_guide) and suggested we do the same, but things went quiet for a while anyways. Thankfully, the Bernie run has also had positive effects on recruitment of new people and activity of current members, and the people who picked up the electoral WG, some with encyclopedic knowledge of local politicians, are loving champs.

I can't recall ever seeing too much gridlock, but I joined later 2018.

I guess some notes on upcoming elections
  • Rishi Kumar (CD-18) can at least tell which way the wind is blowing and jumped on the Bernie train to try and mount a challenge, but nobody thinks he's a true believer or anything. But his opponent is a perpetual corporatist backbencher with pharma money who likes to get xenophobic during town halls from what I recall (Russia and China and Iran, and tainted foreign pharmaceuticals!), so ugh.
  • For SJ council district 6, cannot stress enough how much Jake Tonkel >>>>>>> Dev Davis. Gotta try and flip this seat to break Liccardo's majority on the SJ city council. Jake's actually registered Green, but he was still impressive enough to get the South Bay Labor Council endorsement which you might expect to go to a Dem. Dev Davis is a Republican with the endorsements of the chamber of commerce, apartment association, realtors, etc and they're throwing a lot of money into her mailers.
  • It's nice to be able to directly ask candidates for central committee who they'd like to work with - so if you're in AD-24, maybe add Bill James and Cari Templeton to that list, and AD-28 add Helen Chapman and Ava Chiao.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Very happy that my choices for District 19 are "incumbent who backs the GND and M4A" and "a former Bernie campaign staffer who backs the GND and M4A." :)

DSA has "no recommendations" on our City Council race though, which makes sense because there's literally zero good options:

1. Helen Wang: Republican businesswoman who's primary stated mission goals include expanding our police force and protecting Prop 13
2. Mat Mahan: A former startup CEO who was encouraged to get into politics personally by Mark Zuckerberg (no, that is not a joke). All his campaign materials are whining about "government waste" and how he'll bring the "business sense" he had as a CEO to the city budget.
3. Jenny Bradanini: All her positions are a bunch of mealy mouthed nonsense and she bangs on about "fiscal responsibility" like the other two candidates. Also she ran over and killed a 66 year old man last year while he was trying to grab something out of his car parked on the side of the street, and all I can find about her thoughts on the matter is her thanking her friends and supporters for sticking with her through what was a very trying time for her, and her family. :fuckoff:

Might just leave that section of the ballot blank.

gently caress if that isn't california in a nutshell right there

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mitsuo posted:

[*]Rishi Kumar (CD-18) can at least tell which way the wind is blowing and jumped on the Bernie train to try and mount a challenge, but nobody thinks he's a true believer or anything. But his opponent is a perpetual corporatist backbencher with pharma money who likes to get xenophobic during town halls from what I recall (Russia and China and Iran, and tainted foreign pharmaceuticals!), so ugh.

Anna Eshoo absolutely needs to go

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Anna Eshoo absolutely needs to go

Agree, she’s one of the big obstacles to M4A. Even if Kumar is garbage, at least it would break some of the incumbency advantage since Eshoo has been around for decades by this point.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

LA DSA and OC DSA seem like they'll only have voter guides for the general election. :(

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Danann posted:

LA DSA and OC DSA seem like they'll only have voter guides for the general election. :(

That seems like the opposite of what they should be focusing on.

How many DSA voters need to be reminded not to vote for republicans?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mitsuo posted:

[*]Rishi Kumar (CD-18) can at least tell which way the wind is blowing and jumped on the Bernie train to try and mount a challenge, but nobody thinks he's a true believer or anything. But his opponent is a perpetual corporatist backbencher with pharma money who likes to get xenophobic during town halls from what I recall (Russia and China and Iran, and tainted foreign pharmaceuticals!), so ugh.

Please no.

First, do not assume that being against China policies and decreasing Chinese influence on certain aspects of the economy is xenophobic. There are many Chinese Americans who are extremely anti-China or anti-Russia for various reasons, and the conversation about this is intensely complicated. This is speaking as somebody who is Chinese and can vote.

Second, Rishi Kumar's views in Saratoga when he was on city council were almost entirely Republican, were extremely biased, and were political for the sake of being political. In other words, he really just wants to be a rep for the sake of having power.

Look, I dont like Anna Eschoo either, but the reason she's tied to pharma is because the district she controls has a huge amount of biotech companies HQ'd in it. Don't vote for somebody infinitely worse.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

ntan1 posted:

Please no.

First, do not assume that being against China policies and decreasing Chinese influence on certain aspects of the economy is xenophobic. There are many Chinese Americans who are extremely anti-China or anti-Russia for various reasons, and the conversation about this is intensely complicated. This is speaking as somebody who is Chinese and can vote.

Second, Rishi Kumar's views in Saratoga when he was on city council were almost entirely Republican, were extremely biased, and were political for the sake of being political. In other words, he really just wants to be a rep for the sake of having power.

Look, I dont like Anna Eschoo either, but the reason she's tied to pharma is because the district she controls has a huge amount of biotech companies HQ'd in it. Don't vote for somebody infinitely worse.

I make no such assumptions - I just noted a general lazy exceptionalism used in her town halls, that’s all. Nothing out of the ordinary for liberals. I hear a lot of legitimate Sinophobia elsewhere so it just irritates me, is all.

But yes, Kumar played lovely games and tried to jump on the Bernie train but everyone picked up on how he’s a slime ball - question was how much of a slimeball Eshoo is as an active obstacle to progressive policies vs Kumar at least knowing which side his bread is buttered. I’ll probably just leave it blank, but in the end Eshoo is gonna win by a lot.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Danann posted:

Gah came here looking for it. loving lame

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Weembles posted:

That seems like the opposite of what they should be focusing on.

How many DSA voters need to be reminded not to vote for republicans?

It's LA. Nobody is voting for Republicans.

It's about picking the most leftist person running.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ntan1 posted:

Picking someone who is right for the wrong reasons vs picking someone who is wrong for the wrong reasons. Hmm... tough choice better go for the malicious blue dog pharma shill lich.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wasn't the LA DSA riddled with sex pests recently?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Picking someone who is right for the wrong reasons vs picking someone who is wrong for the wrong reasons. Hmm... tough choice better go for the malicious blue dog pharma shill lich.
I took one look at Rishi Kumar's issues page where he touts being "tough on crime" (as if that's not completely out of step in 2020) and held my nose and voted for Eshoo. I wish I had a better choice but I'm not going with 'actively bad' just to get rid of her.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wasn't the LA DSA riddled with sex pests recently?

They did something about it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kill Bristol posted:

It’s seriously insane and an indictment of this entire countries transit policy that there is no reliable rail service between LA and SF that gets you there in a reasonable timeframe. They’re two of the largest population centers in the country! Every other developed country and plenty of developing ones pull this off!

Why exactly did the HSR project fail? I remember being so excited for it in high school :v:

I’m taking Amtrak from Oceanside to Oakland for my speaking engagement at GDC (The Climate Trail). 12hours vs. 1.5 hour flight and a few hours dealing with airport nonsense.

But at least I can relax on the train/bus. And after two years of weekly amtrak trips to and from LA it was free.

If we had a 5 hour train it would be a viable alternative.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Things looking good, folks.

https://twitter.com/SFBART/status/1228015888772657152?s=20

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
See told ya nobody needs a bullet train through Fresno, those people don't loving go anywhere except Wal Mart and Costco and to leave trash at Pismo Beach and also won't go anywhere without their bro-trucks anyway.

Can also confirm Cap Corridor Sac has gotten insane and basically runs the same amount of cars as they did in 2008 when I'd ride it with like 10 other people when I first moved out here and now basically turns into fist fights at 5:20, 6:20, 7:00 AM on the platform to get onboard to get one of the like 10 single seats onboard.

It Deserves its own dedicated track bullet train. :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 14, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I'm taking the San Joaquin from Bakersfield to Oakland to get to GDC in March (bus from Oceanside to Bakersfield).

How nutty is that?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Man the San Joaquin from Bakersfield to Oakland is like what, 6 or 7 hours? That's a hell of a train ride. Should be pretty chill though, tbh.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Kenning posted:

Man the San Joaquin from Bakersfield to Oakland is like what, 6 or 7 hours? That's a hell of a train ride. Should be pretty chill though, tbh.

... and the 6-hour bus trip from Oceanside to Bakersfield as well.

So why?

1. I have 2 years of Amtrak points from a weekly commute to Los Angeles. They expire in 2022, so I might as well use them. A free trip.
2. I'm (supposedly) giving a presentation on The Climate Trail at GDC. So this kinda fits the theme,
3. Airport travel is 1 hour of flying, 3 hours of airport nonsense, and an hour to get to the city. And even though I've managed to get the folding bike onto carry-on many times, it may be harder now to do that then it was in 2017.

The way back is a bus to Santa Barbara and then a train to Oceanside.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Keyser_Soze posted:

See told ya nobody needs a bullet train through Fresno, those people don't loving go anywhere except Wal Mart and Costco and to leave trash at Pismo Beach and also won't go anywhere without their bro-trucks anyway.

Lol are you for real. Yeah gently caress that city of 550k with no viable public transit to any other major metro, based on my assumptions of where they shop and somehow knowing they're responsible for pollution at a beach 3 hours away, they suck and don't deserve better things.

I really couldn't care about a high speed from Fresno to LA or SF. I'd consider it a luxury. Give me high speed to Sacramento, that alone would do a world of good. There's a huge pool of highly employable people here that would love a 50k/year government job if they could commute reliably in an hour.

The bro truck thing is real, I can't deny that. I see them all day.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sup fellow Valley goon. My theory is that people from SoCal and the Bay are so dismissive of the Valley because they only ever take 5 between the Bay and LA, which is in fact a mostly depopulated desert with some ranching and orchards along it. They see the bleak, dreary landscape and the "Congress created DUST BOWL" signs and then feel smugly scornful. While the 99 corridor isn't like a paragon of cosmopolitanism or monumental natural beauty it's got a nice succession of more-or-less charming towns and more-or-less attractive agricultural areas, loads of people, and a vibrant culture of immigrants and working class history. It's also one of the few areas in the state that can support a working class art and music scene, because working class artists can actually live there still.

My best friend from is from Santa Cruz, and I was talking about places I might go if I leave the Bay, and of course Fresno was on the list. He was like, "You know, Bend, Oregon is pretty cool," just assuming that Bend and Fresno were probably about the same. He was actually shocked when I told him the Fresno metro has a million people in it. I think that's how it is for a lot of people from the coastal population centers.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Kenning posted:

My theory is that people from SoCal and the Bay are so dismissive of the Valley because they only ever take 5 between the Bay and LA, which is in fact a mostly depopulated desert with some ranching and orchards along it.

Nah, I think it is just bog standard classism. Why ostensibly progressively-minded people are so classist is kind of paradoxical, but it is extremely common.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 14, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean yeah that's certainly present in a lot of the ways people talk about rural areas in general. I was just trying to figure out if there was anything more complex going on because for a rural agricultural area the Valley is actually quite highly-populated and diverse, culturally and economically, compared to other major farming regions.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kenning posted:

Sup fellow Valley goon. My theory is that people from SoCal and the Bay are so dismissive of the Valley because they only ever take 5 between the Bay and LA, which is in fact a mostly depopulated desert with some ranching and orchards along it. They see the bleak, dreary landscape and the "Congress created DUST BOWL" signs and then feel smugly scornful. While the 99 corridor isn't like a paragon of cosmopolitanism or monumental natural beauty it's got a nice succession of more-or-less charming towns and more-or-less attractive agricultural areas, loads of people, and a vibrant culture of immigrants and working class history. It's also one of the few areas in the state that can support a working class art and music scene, because working class artists can actually live there still.

My best friend from is from Santa Cruz, and I was talking about places I might go if I leave the Bay, and of course Fresno was on the list. He was like, "You know, Bend, Oregon is pretty cool," just assuming that Bend and Fresno were probably about the same. He was actually shocked when I told him the Fresno metro has a million people in it. I think that's how it is for a lot of people from the coastal population centers.

The problems in the Valley piss me off more than the problems in LA or SF because it's loving shameful this state cannot provide clean loving drinking water to the people that live there. Or good schools. Or environmental protections.

But yeah, I've purposely taken the 99 up and down Cali a few times because the 5 sucks dry dust balls and there's a lot going on out there. It's intolerable (to me) for reasons that could easily be addressed, like having some goddamn light rail in the cities there and passenger rail from Bakersfield to Sac to Redding.

Edit: drat I didn't know Fresno was the 5th largest city in California.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My wife is from middle coast but spent a lot of time in the Valley. People shouldn't dismiss it or think the people in it are a bunch of yokels. Very important part of CA.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My second-favorite part about Bakersfield and Fresno is when it's triple-digits inland and everybody flocks out here where it's only 85° so they have to wear their CSU Bakersfield and Fresno State sweaters to survive.

My favorite part is when a show at the Great American Melodrama in Oceano drops a line about how much Bako or Frenso sucks and the crowd goes wild.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv9-qowZxfQ

Good poo poo.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Hell yeah. Glad Bernie is tapping into the PG&E hate that permeates CA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bernie's ads are next level.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Highbrow Slick posted:

Lol are you for real. Yeah gently caress that city of 550k with no viable public transit to any other major metro, based on my assumptions of where they shop and somehow knowing they're responsible for pollution at a beach 3 hours away, they suck and don't deserve better things.

I really couldn't care about a high speed from Fresno to LA or SF. I'd consider it a luxury. Give me high speed to Sacramento, that alone would do a world of good. There's a huge pool of highly employable people here that would love a 50k/year government job if they could commute reliably in an hour.

The bro truck thing is real, I can't deny that. I see them all day.

I'm being a smartass and am unfortunately intimately familiar with the Fresno-Merced "metroplex" and in fact about to drive there to see my Ma. :smith:

Based on that BART analysis I was responding to, the demand to go to the SF Bay area is overwhelmingly and clearly coming from Stockton/Sac. Fresno people aren't mega-commuting.

I still say the SF-LA speedy trains should have just bombed down 5 at gunpoint and then other places from 99 can feed into it as needed. There are still like thousands of more individual land owners along 99 to deal with currently and then the train goes to Edwards AFB for some dumb reason (it's the Tejon Ranch billionaires).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm being a smartass and am unfortunately intimately familiar with the Fresno-Merced "metroplex" and in fact about to drive there to see my Ma. :smith:

Based on that BART analysis I was responding to, the demand to go to the SF Bay area is overwhelmingly and clearly coming from Stockton/Sac. Fresno people aren't mega-commuting.

This is willfully obtuse. Of course people from Fresno aren't going to the Bay, it's a 3.5 hour drive or a 4.5 hour Amtrak ride. Stockton/Sac represent the far boundaries of a tolerable commute, which is why most of the demand is coming from there. One of the chief benefits of HSR going through the 99 corridor is that suddenly both the Bay and SoCal would be made accessible to millions of people who are at present largely isolated from the coastal population centers. This isn't just for the benefit of commuters – people in Fresno would be able to more easily catch international flights out of SFO, or see concerts in LA, or just take a weekend trip to visit family or cultural sites or whatever. This would have a monumental impact on people's ability to have rich lives integrated into the fabric of the wealthiest state in the union, rather than just being kept tethered to their region and sneered at by urban people from the coasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The biggest problem is that we are only building 1 HSR, rather than several routes