Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Basic Chunnel posted:

What are some goods mods, new-ish, from 2018 for Skyrim Classic on that wouldn't be contained in the OP? Got a new PC and decided that Skyrim sans SPERG isn't worth it. Anything interesting and good

take your SPERG and mash it together with all of the other perk mods and :getin:

and don't forget your argonian raptor feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
A modpack that doesn't include the mod that adds the giant faction to the farmers that give them cattle so they don't get murdered on sight is not a modpack worth having :colbert:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

bef posted:

Anyone else playing on https://www.ultimateskyrim.com/ ?

280 mods, 1-2 hours to download and install. The program automator does it all for you. So done with modding, load orders etc. Did that in oblivion, fo3, nv, im over it lol

Kinda cool! Love how hard it is. Can be a bit bs at times but way more engaging than vanilla skyrim or any bethesda rpg really. Love eeking out of every situation by the skin of your teeth

This looks cool actually, is there anything like it for special edition?

There must be places where people just post their fully modded skyrim installs, right? Like just one big download. I'm not asking for links or anything, but does that exist?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

fuf posted:

There must be places where people just post their fully modded skyrim installs, right? Like just one big download. I'm not asking for links or anything, but does that exist?

please look to your avatar for the answer.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man if i put all that effort into a nicely balanced set of mods i would totally post it somewhere

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

fuf posted:

man if i put all that effort into a nicely balanced set of mods i would totally post it somewhere

There's more to consider than just zipping up a data files folder. Load order and other tweaks are stored in INI files, which really shouldn't be shared as they also contain settings specific to that user. I'm sure there's a way it can be done, but it's not as easy as packaging up esp files and dropping them on a OneDrive somewhere.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

fuf posted:

Look up Wabbajack.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cynic Jester posted:

Look up Wabbajack.

And then look up all the restrictions that got added to it because Arthmoor and his ilk think modding must be as difficult and unpleasant as possible

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Wizard posted:

And then look up all the restrictions that got added to it because Arthmoor and his ilk think modding must be as difficult and unpleasant as possible

You'd think Arthmoor just existing should be enough to make modding difficult and unpleasant.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

fuf posted:

apparently the next version 5.0 will only work on special edition but its still under works

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I naively thought wabbajack was going to get me playing this game again. I've never looked into files though to get around using nexus.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

fuf posted:

Belmont Boy (the Ultimate Skyrim curator) has said he's starting work on an SE version now that all of the major mods have been ported but there's no release date yet so it's probably a year or two away. I had a lot of fun with US a couple years ago, but I eventually got a bit tired of the "you're a miserable peasant, and if you're very lucky you'll become a slightly stronger miserable peasant, then you'll either die or turn suddenly OP" design philosophy. There's a lot of stuff I like in Requiem and miss with other overhauls, but man there's a lot of stuff I'm happy to never have to deal with again.

I found something like that once (Skyrim Perfectly Modded or something like that) but it tended to be pretty janky. Wabbajack isn't perfect but it's pretty drat good these days, and even the most complicated/time-consuming mod list I'm aware of (Lexy's LotD) is pretty much a one-click install now (other than files that have to go in the Skyrim install directory like SKSE and ENBs), including things like DynDOLOD. It does have the unfortunate tendency to break because mod authors refuse to keep old versions of mods up and also hide or delete their mods at the slightest provocation, including being included in a Wabbajack mod list.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Is there any mod that gives bunnies an attack animation?

I need it for reasons.

Edit: Not monty python reasons. This is more important than that.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 8, 2020

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I've been out of this for a while but decided to reinstall - finishing up a mod list and need some suggestions (I didn't see any of these mentioned in the OP).

1) The Notice Board or Missives? People seem to prefer the latter but the posts/stuff I read on the Nexus and elsewhere suggest there's a lot of jank with both. Or is there something better than either of them?

2) I might actually get around to doing the Civil War questline this time. I'd held off on getting any mods for this in the past, but is there one nowadays that's actually stable and makes it interesting?

3) I'm looking at stuff like Interesting NPCs and People of Skyrim, mods that add more people to the game/cities/various areas to make things seem more bustling or lived-in. Are any of these worth it, is there one that is relatively stable? I read reviews for several of these that range from "good" to "totally broken and gently caress the mod maker."

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Bruteman posted:

3) I'm looking at stuff like Interesting NPCs and People of Skyrim, mods that add more people to the game/cities/various areas to make things seem more bustling or lived-in. Are any of these worth it, is there one that is relatively stable? I read reviews for several of these that range from "good" to "totally broken and gently caress the mod maker."

For that I use:
- Adventurers and Travelers
- Interesting NPCs
- Lively Inns and Taverns
- Travellers of Skyrim

And in a similar vein:
- Horses On Patrol
- Immersive Patrols

Does the job wonderfully. I was gonna download some of the "Populated..." mods like Populated Cities and Populated Roads but both the cities and the exterior world are well populated enough with these mods, it wouldn't make sense to add more.

Also the Notice Board is nice and good.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 8, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruteman posted:

1) The Notice Board or Missives? People seem to prefer the latter but the posts/stuff I read on the Nexus and elsewhere suggest there's a lot of jank with both. Or is there something better than either of them?

2) I might actually get around to doing the Civil War questline this time. I'd held off on getting any mods for this in the past, but is there one nowadays that's actually stable and makes it interesting?

1) I use both. Haven't had any problems with either. Biggest issue I've seen is sometimes a couple of scripted mercs from Missives will head off from a board and then kill a bandit camp, and I'll get credit for it.

2) I have Open Civil War installed because it sounds cool, but to be honest I've barely touched the surface of the mod and I can't talk about it's long term stability or viability.

3) I use Interesting NPCs, Immersive World Encounters, and Immersive Patrols. Haven't seen anything bad with any of them. I also use Barely Used Vanilla Actors Recyle Project (BUVARP) which gives a bunch of NPCs that only show up for a quest and then disappear a place to remain when the quest is done. Man Those Borders puts up some small guard posts at the edges of the holds and populates them with some appropriate guards. Arthmoor has a bunch of settlement mods that just add small towns with NPCs; they spruce up the world a bit and are nice reprieves if you are playing any survival modes.

I avoid stuff like Populated Cities because it just adds a bunch of nameless NPCs you can't interact with that just clog up doorways and make inns impossible to walk through. I used to use Legendary Cities - Tes Arena, which adds a bunch of new cities as well, but the nav meshes were jank and I found a lot of the stuff got repeated and doubled, so I skip that one now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm kind of fond of Legendary Cities - Tes Arena because I liked the cozy little towns it added. Though I had to do a bit of work on it to get it be stable like fixing the facegen for its NPCs. Though I also had to manually import like 3 of the towns from the LE version because they're not included in the SE version and the mod author has seemingly disappeared so they will probably never be ported officially.

It's kinda janky but I find it charming for what it does.

I also turfed Populated Cities because it just adds too many useless NPCs to places. It was good for making places like Whiterun and wherever feel inhabited, but it goes overboard. It also makes the start of the Riften/Thieves Guild quest kind of impossible because the NPCs it adds aren't effected by Brynjolf scripted distraction so you'll always be in Detected status when you try to rifle through that dude's stall.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nine-gear crow posted:

It also makes the start of the Riften/Thieves Guild quest kind of impossible because the NPCs it adds aren't effected by Brynjolf scripted distraction so you'll always be in Detected status when you try to rifle through that dude's stall.
"Oh, it's just Brynjolf again, sigh" seems pretty realistic to me!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm kind of fond of Legendary Cities - Tes Arena because I liked the cozy little towns it added. Though I had to do a bit of work on it to get it be stable like fixing the facegen for its NPCs. Though I also had to manually import like 3 of the towns from the LE version because they're not included in the SE version and the mod author has seemingly disappeared so they will probably never be ported officially.

Yeah, I used this one for quite a while and they're probably the best cities added by a mod that I've seen. I just couldn't be assed to fix it and eventually dropped it. How easy is it to grab stuff from the LE edition? SSE was missing a few cities I liked.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, I used this one for quite a while and they're probably the best cities added by a mod that I've seen. I just couldn't be assed to fix it and eventually dropped it. How easy is it to grab stuff from the LE edition? SSE was missing a few cities I liked.

Relatively easy. Version 3.0 of the LE edition has modular versions of the missing towns (Sunguard, Dunparwall, Helarchen Creek, and Blackmoor). So all you have to do is pull the modular versions out and stick them all in the same folder then run Nif Optimizer on them to make sure things show up/don’t cause crashes. You’ll need to do it twice for facegen meshes because you need to tick the “Head Parts Only” box and then run it once in LE mode and then a second time in SE mode. Then just shove the combined folder into a zip file and throw it in your mod manager and install.

Probably about 10 to 20 minutes worth of work total and most it is just sitting around waiting for the stuff to download/Nif Optimizer to do its thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a really vague question: How do I make magic not suck? By which I mean, sure, I'm at low level and frost spells eat me alive, but there's basically no point in my typical character progression curve where any spell feels more efficient in terms of time and resources than the "spell" that's "swing sword at face".

Mods that adding more spells haven't given me anything tempting enough to ditch heavy armor and swords. Maybe it's just because I don't give it enough of a shot and should have robes on and go full stealth and all? Is the solution a combat overhaul to make swords worse rather than spells better?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a really vague question: How do I make magic not suck? By which I mean, sure, I'm at low level and frost spells eat me alive, but there's basically no point in my typical character progression curve where any spell feels more efficient in terms of time and resources than the "spell" that's "swing sword at face".

Mods that adding more spells haven't given me anything tempting enough to ditch heavy armor and swords. Maybe it's just because I don't give it enough of a shot and should have robes on and go full stealth and all? Is the solution a combat overhaul to make swords worse rather than spells better?

I'd done a few mage characters with Ordinator and Apocalypse spells. Ordinator makes spells scale with your skill level so destruction (and everything else) stays useful. But for success you need to depend on utility spells as well. Fury in illusion is amazing, conjured atronochs or necromancy make good tanks and distractions, and ordinator gives a ton of fun talents in conjuration. Robes are essential to get that casting reduction and regen rates. You don't really need stealth.

DPS wise you'll never meet the same level as a big sword, but you get a lot bigger of a toolkit. If you're not using that toolkit and just throwing flames, you'll never get anywhere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you're not using that toolkit and just throwing flames, you'll never get anywhere.
But flames are fun :(

Or, more accurately, the menu interface makes sticking to one thing about ten times more fun than having to swap even between favorites.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Relatively easy. Version 3.0 of the LE edition has modular versions of the missing towns (Sunguard, Dunparwall, Helarchen Creek, and Blackmoor). So all you have to do is pull the modular versions out and stick them all in the same folder then run Nif Optimizer on them to make sure things show up/don’t cause crashes. You’ll need to do it twice for facegen meshes because you need to tick the “Head Parts Only” box and then run it once in LE mode and then a second time in SE mode. Then just shove the combined folder into a zip file and throw it in your mod manager and install.

Probably about 10 to 20 minutes worth of work total and most it is just sitting around waiting for the stuff to download/Nif Optimizer to do its thing.

loving hell, thanks so much for this!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

But flames are fun :(

Or, more accurately, the menu interface makes sticking to one thing about ten times more fun than having to swap even between favorites.

Yeah. I generally stick to 6 spells that I can hotkey effectively, and a couple other that I can grab quickly from the favourites menu, but it's cumbersome.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossquoting from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

:allears: God I love TrainWiz.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Crossquoting from the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

:allears: God I love TrainWiz.

I'd expect nothing less from a guy who created the "Make trains fall from the sky when you shout" mod for Skyrim.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh man I saw that image but totally missed that it was TrainWiz, that owns.

I've got a weird one now. Any Legacy of the Dragonborn content is crashing. I just started The Visage, got like 530 artifacts in the museum, and I'm most of the way through the Amulet of Kings quest. Any one of those could be triggering it, or none. But if I walk up to the ghost for The Visage, or try to get close to the museum whether by fast travel or walking into Solitude, I get a CTD. Haven't tried like, the other ruins LOTD adds or anything yet. No real clue what's happening, so I'm trying reinstalling LOTD and hoping that fixes it. Anyone got any other ideas?

edit: the reinstall fixed it, at the cost of breaking the Amulet of Kings quest, and I don't know what setstage to use but I'll figure it out

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 9, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm having bug with the Honed Metal mod where the orders I pick up don't get unpacked, so they end up being stuck in my inventory. Hasn't happened before in my previous playthroughs so it's weird.

If it helps, here's my load order: https://pastebin.com/6GDx0aFp

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh man I saw that image but totally missed that it was TrainWiz, that owns.

I've got a weird one now. Any Legacy of the Dragonborn content is crashing. I just started The Visage, got like 530 artifacts in the museum, and I'm most of the way through the Amulet of Kings quest. Any one of those could be triggering it, or none. But if I walk up to the ghost for The Visage, or try to get close to the museum whether by fast travel or walking into Solitude, I get a CTD. Haven't tried like, the other ruins LOTD adds or anything yet. No real clue what's happening, so I'm trying reinstalling LOTD and hoping that fixes it. Anyone got any other ideas?

edit: the reinstall fixed it, at the cost of breaking the Amulet of Kings quest, and I don't know what setstage to use but I'll figure it out

My guess is an improperly generated facegen for the ghost.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
This is a question for those familiar with the Creation Kit. Can moon phases be modified? Can they be modified independently? A Matter of Time can show moon phases and it just reminds me that Masser and Secundus are always the same phase. It'd be nice to have them wandering out of phase with each other.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

What are the go-to retuexture options for SE since aMidianBorn is never getting ported over properly?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

What are the go-to retuexture options for SE since aMidianBorn is never getting ported over properly?

Still aMidianBorn, actually. Textures don't need to be ported from LE to SE like meshes and esps do, you can just plug them in and go. There's patches for the Blades Armor for SE, and you'll need to go through and manually optimize the Content Addon version if you want to use it, but otherwise that's it. There's also a set of textures now for the stuff that Book of Silence doesn't cover like Elven, Ebony, Falmer and Dwarven weapons.

This also applies to all LE texture mods. If it's just straight textures and doesn't have any models with it, then you can shove it into SE no problem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

My guess is an improperly generated facegen for the ghost.
But that wouldn't make the museum in Solitude also crash my game! (and yes a reinstall fixed it so meh)

I hadn't actually played through the main plot of Dragonborn before this playthrough and lmao it sucks so bad, there's some potential to be cool but the PC actually doesn't do anything relevant or meaningful the entire time

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Does there exist a mod for SE that adds horse support for vanilla followers without changing other horse/follower mechanics? Everything I can find is part of some kind of larger immersive overhaul with a bunch of other crap I don't want to fuss with.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Magmarashi posted:

Skyrim HD SE

Stay away from Skyrim 2020 (and Skyrim 2019, Skyrim 2018 etc.) from Pfuscher. They look like rear end and the UV's are all wrong.
Skyrim HD's textures bring the game to current standards and look like they belong.

timn posted:

Does there exist a mod for SE that adds horse support for vanilla followers without changing other horse/follower mechanics? Everything I can find is part of some kind of larger immersive overhaul with a bunch of other crap I don't want to fuss with.

Convenient Horses.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bronze Fonz posted:

Skyrim HD SE

Stay away from Skyrim 2020 (and Skyrim 2019, Skyrim 2018 etc.) from Pfuscher. They look like rear end and the UV's are all wrong.
Skyrim HD's textures bring the game to current standards and look like they belong.

Convenient Horses.

The Northern Experience guide, formerly the YASHed Guide, also has some good picks in its Base Textures section. Except for Skyland's Markarth textures. They make the city look blindly white and are just bad all around.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

That's fuckin 8.7 GB total good god.

That's 1) a 2 and a half hour download with nexus' speed limit, and 2) 8.7 GB of extra disc space required for goddamn texture replacers. Nothing new, just huger textures.

I guess it's worth it for some people. Get their faces right up to the tavern wall and marvel at all the pixels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Unfortunately, Convenient Horses is now the very definition of "some kind of larger immersive overhaul with a bunch of other crap I don't want to fuss with."