Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Figured I'd float this again. I got a couple referrals this month, so it's nice to see it getting some use. Any other goon success stories?

Nope. not a single one yet. I just updated my Freedom link in case it was wrong or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

squirreltactic posted:

I would recommend everyone recheck their links, though. It seems a lot of them have expired.

Thanks for mentioning this! I've updated mine. The Chase refer a friend page says "staring August 2019...", so I'm guessing these expired when something changed about the promotion last year.

While I was doing this I noticed something that might effect a few people: If you have multiple Chase cards and opt in to some of the rotating retailer cash-back offers, those offers may differ between cards. For example, my CSR had a 10% cashback offer for one restaurant, but my CSP had 15% back for the same place. I think this still outweighs the 3X vs 2X point difference, so it may be worth paying attention to other cards if you're in a position like me and have one primary card, and one you never actually use.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
For those who haven't yet dumped the Uber visa for the SavorOne, here's a referral link - didn't see this one on the spreadsheet.

https://capital.one/2RCC9Zq

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the full Savor which is 4% cash back on restaurants and entertainment and 2% on supermarkets with a $95 AF waived the first year: https://capital.one/2GB7x4e

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CaptainJuan posted:

For those who haven't yet dumped the Uber visa for the SavorOne, here's a referral link - didn't see this one on the spreadsheet.

https://capital.one/2RCC9Zq

I'll add it in the morning. Thanks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I lost track of time and apparently I was back down under 5/24, so I jumped on the Bonvoy 100k offer! By all accounts, Marriott seems to have gone down the toilet but for a few free nights in a hotel why not?! 5k minimum spend in the first 3 months.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ok I added all the cards as requested to the sheet, not that I'm not adding your links, just the tab on the page. Please add your links if you'd like.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Ok I added all the cards as requested to the sheet, not that I'm not adding your links, just the tab on the page. Please add your links if you'd like.

Thank you!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Removed the testGoon entries on the two cards that now have referrals. Thanks Jerk McJerkFace!

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
If I have an old Cap1 card I don't use, are they likely to allow me to switch it to a different product and still get the sign up bonus? And how do I go about doing that, just over the phone? Thinking about converting an old Quicksilver to Savor to get 4% on dining (RIP uber card)

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
You're generally not eligible for sign up bonuses with product changes.

Also keep in mind after the first year you'll need to spend $9500 on dining and entertainment to make up for the $95 annual fee vs the SavorOne 3% back.

I'm personally going to use my Bank of the West 3% (Dining, Gas, Groceries) for restaurant spend for the quarters Discover IT isn't on 5% restaurant now that Uber is dead.

BofA is another option for 3% but I using that for drug stores since that's the best option that isn't covered year round elsewhere for me (currently 5% with Discover, though).

If you're going to cover that $9500 in spend after the first year, or you want to take your free year and product change again after, yeah, just give them a call. You could also just open the Savor fresh, keeping the Quicksilver, if you're going to meet the $3000 spend in 3 months and consider the bonus to cover the annual fee through the first 4 years.

If you don't have a Bank of America Cash Rewards card and don't think you'll get better value on getting 3% on gas, online shopping, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings and opt for 3% on dining, they have a $200 bonus on $1000 spend in 90 days. The 3% is only good up to $2500/quarter, but if you're spending that much the Savor becomes better regardless of annual fee as you're breaking the $9500/year needed to cover it from the extra 1%.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
2020 is at least the third year that Discover's 5% bonus quarters haven’t changed.

Grocery stores are first quarter and restaurants are third quarter.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
They added Walgreens and CVS to Q1, Wholesale to Q2, PayPal to Q3, and target.com and walmart.com to Q4, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Those were there last year too, though.

In any case, I just meant to mention 5% at restaurants is third quarter, it’s pretty much the only time I use my Discover now.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Girbot posted:

You're generally not eligible for sign up bonuses with product changes.

Also keep in mind after the first year you'll need to spend $9500 on dining and entertainment to make up for the $95 annual fee vs the SavorOne 3% back.

I'm personally going to use my Bank of the West 3% (Dining, Gas, Groceries) for restaurant spend for the quarters Discover IT isn't on 5% restaurant now that Uber is dead.

BofA is another option for 3% but I using that for drug stores since that's the best option that isn't covered year round elsewhere for me (currently 5% with Discover, though).

If you're going to cover that $9500 in spend after the first year, or you want to take your free year and product change again after, yeah, just give them a call. You could also just open the Savor fresh, keeping the Quicksilver, if you're going to meet the $3000 spend in 3 months and consider the bonus to cover the annual fee through the first 4 years.

If you don't have a Bank of America Cash Rewards card and don't think you'll get better value on getting 3% on gas, online shopping, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings and opt for 3% on dining, they have a $200 bonus on $1000 spend in 90 days. The 3% is only good up to $2500/quarter, but if you're spending that much the Savor becomes better regardless of annual fee as you're breaking the $9500/year needed to cover it from the extra 1%.

Thanks for the info. I'm dumb and saw $0 annual fee and stopped reading, didn't realize it was just the first year.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amex generally pro-rates the annual fee if you cancel mid year and gives you a partial refund. Does anyone know what they do about the Bonvoy free night award in that case?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If you live in New York, the Trump administration is blocking enrollments and renewals to global entry. A few credit cards provide reimbursements for those applications, so I guess it might affect some people.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

New Jersey will most likely be next. If you live there and were considering getting Global Entry then hurry up, finish the signup, and get your interview done ASAP.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

smackfu posted:

Amex generally pro-rates the annual fee if you cancel mid year and gives you a partial refund. Does anyone know what they do about the Bonvoy free night award in that case?

I don't believe Amex prorates the fee anymore unless you downgrade.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

asur posted:

I don't believe Amex prorates the fee anymore unless you downgrade.

Thanks, I suppose I was relying on five year old experience there. Or older.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife and I want to take a 5 night trip to the Maldives. She has 230k or so in Amex MR points, while I have 100 or so. Is there a way to use them to pay for a nice hotel? It seems like Marriott has fairly high redemption rates at their properties.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Just FIY even when you redeem points for travel and a hotel, you will likely still have to pay real
Money for the travel out to the Atoll which could be as much as $500 pp

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

Just FIY even when you redeem points for travel and a hotel, you will likely still have to pay real
Money for the travel out to the Atoll which could be as much as $500 pp

Yeah that's fine.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Well the rest of it seems pretty straightforward, except that it seems that now Marriott shifts point costs for High and Low seasons, so it may no longer be a flat rate. The good news is that likely increases availability since they will grant more award stays. They have a couple different properties from around 50-80,000 points a night. I'm not really sure what the quality of the cheapest one is but the expensive ones are super high class. The good news is you can probably use their 5th night free promotion, so that's a huge points savings. I believe these are costs for an on-land bungalow though, if you want an over-water one I expect that's a lot more.

So if you have 330k points between you, that's almost exactly enough for 80k per night for 4 nights, with the 5th night free. Plus $1000 for the transfer, plus actual airfare...

Randomly picked one and random dates:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 10, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

Well the rest of it seems pretty straightforward, except that it seems that now Marriott shifts point costs for High and Low seasons, so it may no longer be a flat rate. The good news is that likely increases availability since they will grant more award stays. They have a couple different properties from around 50-80,000 points a night. I'm not really sure what the quality of the cheapest one is but the expensive ones are super high class. The good news is you can probably use their 5th night free promotion, so that's a huge points savings. I believe these are costs for an on-land bungalow though, if you want an over-water one I expect that's a lot more.

I guess I'm not sure

1. If it's possible to transfer points from my wife's MR account and combine them with mine?
2. If there's some One Weird Trick with MR points/Marriott or SPG redemptions?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Check Hilton first if you're on Amex.

I rarely hear of anyone transferring points to Marriott.

(Conrad and Waldorf Astoria are Hilton)

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 10, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not sure if you can transfer Amex points, but you can transfer up to 100k Marriott points. So if you exchange Amex -> Marriott, and your wife does the same, you should be able to send your 100k to her and end up with 330k in her Marriott account. It may also be possible to transfer from each Amex account into one Marriott account, but I can't confirm that.

I think the One Weird Trick for Marriott is the 5th free night. That's basically means each night is 15k points cheaper. If that applies to Hilton too then it's just a matter of seeing which ones cost less points overall, and checking Hilton points transfer rules.

Lol the (Hilton) Waldorf wanted minimum 750,000 points per night for the same random search I did above. Even though Hilton points are 2 for 1 with Amex, that seems a bit ridiculous. The Conrad wants 95k per night, which I guess is actually really good because that's 47.5 equivalent?

You can book your own Private Island at the Waldorf for 25,760,000 points per night though

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 10, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

I'm not sure if you can transfer Amex points, but you can transfer up to 100k Marriott points. So if you exchange Amex -> Marriott, and your wife does the same, you should be able to send your 100k to her and end up with 330k in her Marriott account. It may also be possible to transfer from each Amex account into one Marriott account, but I can't confirm that.

I think the One Weird Trick for Marriott is the 5th free night. That's basically means each night is 15k points cheaper. If that applies to Hilton too then it's just a matter of seeing which ones cost less points overall, and checking Hilton points transfer rules.

Lol the (Hilton) Waldorf wanted minimum 750,000 points per night for the same random search I did above. Even though Hilton points are 2 for 1 with Amex, that seems a bit ridiculous. The Conrad wants 95k per night, which I guess is actually really good because that's 47.5 equivalent?

You can book your own Private Island at the Waldorf for 25,760,000 points though

Hah, I came to the same realization. The Waldorf came in with 2M points/night. Conrad looks like it might be a decent option though, thank you. I think she gets Hilton status with her Amex Plat so that might work too. Wonder if you can transfer Hilton points between people, if there's no 5th night free deal.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Just don't forget to factor in the transfer fees and the Food and Drink costs, which will be astronomical because they have you trapped on an Atoll in the middle of the ocean.

Can you get the 5th night free for the private island? That's 25 million points savings!

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 10, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Elysium posted:

So if you have 330k points between you, that's almost exactly enough for 80k per night for 4 nights, with the 5th night free. Plus $1000 for the transfer, plus actual airfare...

Randomly picked one and random dates:

Whoa, I have 330k Marriott points, maybe that’ll convince my wife that we need to make that our next vacation.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My next card is likely going to be the Ink Business Preferred, which I had planned on getting the sign up bonus and then canceling after the first year. I have a pretty narrow window of spending to hit the $5k spend for the 80k bonus this spring (Nashville trip, car insurance PIF, family vacations etc) all paid in May - July. I've heard the approval process for a business card is a bit longer than a regular consumer one. To be safe that I have the card in mid May, when is the latest I should apply?

Also with regards to my current setup; I currently have a CSP and CFU. All of my spending is on the CFU until ~May since I’m on the 60k UR points in the first 12 months signup bonus.

However, examining my spending and the bonuses for the IBP, I think it may be better for me to keep the IBP and cancel my CSP. I eat out very infrequently (like $60 a month on lunches with my work colleagues and maybe 2 or 3 $100+ dinners per year).

I do book a couple family vacations per year, which would get me 3x with the IBP instead of 2x with the CSP. I’d also get 3x on my home internet bill with IBP. I spend way more on travel and than I do on restaurants per year.

I’d still keep the CFU for all spending outside my internet bill and travel.

The IBP still has the 1.25x bonus when spending UR through their portal, no foreign transaction fees, and the same AF as the CSP. Is there any other benefit with the CSP that I am overlooking?

This would have the added benefit of me being without a Sapphire product for a couple years and I’d be able to come back for a sign up bonus eventually.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Downgrade the CSP to a regular freedom with rotating 5x UR categories rather than canceling it. If you already have a regular freedom, you could alternatively downgrade the CSP to the no-AF Sapphire and you'd still have your 2x UR per dollar on dining.

Likewise, you could downgrade the Ink card to the no-AF Ink Cash rather than canceling it.

The US Bank Cash+ is great for choosing two your own 5% categories that include Home internet and utilities. See: https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Downgrade the CSP to a regular freedom with rotating 5x UR categories rather than canceling it. If you already have a regular freedom, you could alternatively downgrade the CSP to the no-AF Sapphire and you'd still have your 2x UR per dollar on dining.

Likewise, you could downgrade the Ink card to the no-AF Ink Cash rather than canceling it.

The US Bank Cash+ is great for choosing two your own 5% categories that include Home internet and utilities. See: https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

I had not thought of downgrading the CSP to the regular Sapphire. Is this still even possible? The Sapphire has been gone for like 5 years.

Ideally I would have the IBP (3% on travel and utilities), the no-AF Sapphire (2x on dining), and the CFU (1.5% on everything else). Then transfer all UR points to the IBP when I use them to get the 1.25x.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

I had not thought of downgrading the CSP to the regular Sapphire. Is this still even possible? The Sapphire has been gone for like 5 years.

Yep! You can't sign up for the regular Sapphire directly, but you can product change to it if you call in.

One note I forgot to include in my last post: the no-AF Sapphire does have a 3% foreign transaction fee.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Yep! You can't sign up for the regular Sapphire directly, but you can product change to it if you call in.

One note I forgot to include in my last post: the no-AF Sapphire does have a 3% foreign transaction fee.

That’s fine. The IBP has no foreign transaction fees and when I do travel abroad it’s almost always to the Black Forest, where no one has ever used a credit card before.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not a CC question but maybe someone can help me out.

I opened a Citi checking/Savings package for the $400 bonus, but after the bonus posts I’m stuck in a really low rate for the savings account.

If I go below the minimum balance I get hit with maintenance fees.

Citi has some language that I need to keep a minimum balance between all my “elegible linked accounts” to avoid fees.

Does anyone know if I can open an Accelerate Savings account (basically same rate as Ally) and have it count as an elegible linked account?

Worst case scenario I’ll close the account after a year so I don’t lose the bonus but it’s a decent amount lost to low interest.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400-600-personal-checking-savings-bonus-available-nationwide-direct-deposit-not-required/

According to this there's no early termination fee so I'd double check your fee schedule and just close the account if you don't need it. Also take a look at the extra $100 for direct deposits mentioned in the post. Make sure that this is the same offer you signed up for, obviously. I don't see any language about needing to maintain the account for a year or your bonus is forfeit. There are people in the comments which closed their account immediately.

Here's a list of what qualified as DD with Citi: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#Citibank

Per what counts as an eligible linked account, best bet would be to call them up or open a chat and ask to make certain.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 19, 2020

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the info.

Haven't made up my mind if I want to close it as Citi actually is a convenient bank for me, but obviously not if I need to park a bunch of money at 0.10% interest.

I'll chat them up and see if they can confirm one way or the other. Thanks again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've had two cards, from different banks, cloned in the last week. Am I just seriously unlucky? The first I'm sure was a gas station, I handed my card to a friend as he's from out of the country and I'm gonna guess there was a skimmer installed he didn't know to check for. Crappy but happens. I got a fraud email as the transaction was blocked for whatever reason.

I check my other account now, and while I was driving to work someone used my card for 2x <$2 charges on an online store. So that one has been compromised too. Most of the things I use my cards for are either big 'secure' businesses like Ticketmaster, or local businesses. This is insane. I had a card here a few years ago that was used a grand total of 3 times in its existence, and it was cloned and charges made against it. I dealt with this poo poo exactly once in 20+ years of having cards back home, is the US just really rife with it right now or something? I have no idea if this one was cloned from the card or a crappy web merchant leaking their info and not hashing/salting everything that goes into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I dealt with this poo poo exactly once in 20+ years of having cards back home, is the US just really rife with it right now or something? I have no idea if this one was cloned from the card or a crappy web merchant leaking their info and not hashing/salting everything that goes into it.

Last time for me was ~2013; chip cards really have made a significant difference. Most of the breaches these days seem to be poorly-secured online shopping sites or malware running on point of sale terminals themselves.

I always go inside to pay at gas stations where I can't tap at the pump or use a mobile app. Usually, though, I'll buy a gift card to the gas station from a grocery store with a high% cashback rate, get grocery rewards from it for free groceries or cheaper gas, then use the gift card to get the gas station's cash rate instead of paying extra to use credit.