Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Korra's by Platinum is not a very good game and has two different awful gameplay modes in it, only one of which is the stereotypical "Platinum is really bad at change of pace gameplay", but the combat is still less aggravating for me than Batman, even if I note as above, its a far less good package overall.

Well maybe not Knight, the Batmobile is just dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrast posted:

Korra has way worse combat than Batman

It really doesn't, it just asks you to do more than surface 1 2 3 combos. If you start switching powers and using the charge mechanics, shits crazy, it's even got bayo's dodge offset

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nah it's just bad, much like everything else about Korra

Turns out that when platinum is putting out the bare minimum of effort the results aren't that good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If you jump over the guys with electric sticks you get zapped.

[looking up from big brain book about being smart and it has a lot of words in it, im wearing tiny glasses all the way down my nose and a gown] ah finally, a game with some depth

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Nah it's just bad, much like everything else about Korra

Turns out that when platinum is putting out the bare minimum of effort the results aren't that good

They didn't put out minimum effort, they were paid the minimum by Activision. If you want to poo poo on their liscensed efforts aim at tmnt, kora was fine for what it was doing, though the standard pg corridor levels are less then stellar in it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

They didn't put out minimum effort, they were paid the minimum by Activision. If you want to poo poo on their liscensed efforts aim at tmnt, kora was fine for what it was doing, though the standard pg corridor levels are less then stellar in it.

Yes, minimum pay gets minimum effort

Nobody should really ever pay Korra since replaying another Platinum game is going to be a way better experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those electric stick holding people were the bane of my existence because Batman seemed disturbingly thrilled to not only focus on them last in a crowded fight, but to propel himself over to them to get a nice good taste of the electric stick every single time he got too into a fight. The only way I was able to beat one of the fights with them was by purposefully lowering batmans combo meter a couple times in the fight so he'd just do what I wanted.

I guess what I'm saying is my brain problem that prevents me from using Batman's combat correctly makes me feel like I'm not really in control and is so antithetical to what I like about character action games that I can't make it happen.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[slams box labelled "transformers devastation" on the table] now what huh????

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Those electric stick holding people were the bane of my existence because Batman seemed disturbingly thrilled to not only focus on them last in a crowded fight, but to propel himself over to them to get a nice good taste of the electric stick every single time he got too into a fight. The only way I was able to beat one of the fights with them was by purposefully lowering batmans combo meter a couple times in the fight so he'd just do what I wanted.

I guess what I'm saying is my brain problem that prevents me from using Batman's combat correctly makes me feel like I'm not really in control and is so antithetical to what I like about character action games that I can't make it happen.

Yeah that sounds something specific to you since that you can like, point batman to a specific target.

I wouldn't call Batman a character action game either

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

Yes, minimum pay gets minimum effort

Nobody should really ever pay Korra since replaying another Platinum game is going to be a way better experience.

Like i said you're thinking about tmnt, kora at least has a recognizable combat system and fine as a twist on bayo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Like i said you're thinking about tmnt, kora at least has a recognizable combat system and fine as a twist on bayo.

No I'm thinking of Korra. TMNT is horrible whereas Korra is just bad.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I think korra gets a bad rap because, like w101, its asking you to do more than just tap face buttons. I think everyone immediately thought bayo and expected ease of use. The 'damage spongeyness' of the enemies doesn't help, but that's off weighted by their by numbers, which are far fewer than the regular pg game, and the hidden depth of the combat system. The color palette is really off putting though, I can see people being repelled by that coupled with early frustrations.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 9, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the godawful bear riding sections that really ruin Korra and I got I think every achievement in that game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

I think korra gets a bad rap because, like w101, its asking you to do more than just tap face buttons. I think everyone immediately thought bayo and expected ease of use. The 'damage spongeyness' of the enemies doesn't help, but that's off weighted by their by numbers, which are far fewer than the regular pg game, and the hidden depth of the combat system. The color palette is really off putting though, I can see people being repelled by that coupled with early frustrations.

I think the difference here is w101 is stellar in every way and Korra just isn't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

W101 has multiple really bad auto-scrollers, so even before we digress into whatever broke brainery I may have about the core formation system it is not stellar in every way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

W101 has multiple really bad auto-scrollers, so even before we digress into whatever broke brainery I may have about the core formation system it is not stellar in every way.

Oh right, I forgot about those. They aren't great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the punch out sections can go pound sand as well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every Platinum game is basically me firing it up, loving it, and wondering when I'm going to hit the inevitable autoscroller that ruins all pacing and enjoyment and makes me dread another playthrough.

Just don't include them, Platinum, its literally less work to do that!

Edit: If you're curious why I accurately predicted that Star Fox Zero would be a bad game despite Platinum, it was because it was an entire game made up of the autoscrollers that nobody likes in Platinum games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How is Arkham combat "three buttons"? Are you not counting the gadgets? Even without the gadgets, it's more than 3 buttons. Attack, Counter, Stun, Jump. That's four buttons. And then there are like 4 to 8 relevant gadgets

:psyduck:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

detecting unprecedented levels of mad cos bad in this sector

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I think the difference here is w101 is stellar in every way and Korra just isn't

You've yet to state anything other than it's just bad, which cool that's an opinion, maybe add something to it on this here discussion forum, like the post above yours. Like I agree the trimmings of the game aren't great, ie bear riding and sportball whatever, never got the hang of that. But the combat itself was fine, and even good in spots, especially since the fewer enemies made encounters feel more like rival battles, which is usually a peak moment for other PG games. I think they learned a lot from that and put it into a transformers which was a bit more accepted though with obtuse mechanics in it's own right.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Barudak posted:

Every Platinum game is basically me firing it up, loving it, and wondering when I'm going to hit the inevitable autoscroller that ruins all pacing and enjoyment and makes me dread another playthrough.

Edit: If you're curious why I accurately predicted that Star Fox Zero would be a bad game despite Platinum, it was because it was an entire game made up of the autoscrollers that nobody likes in Platinum games.

Rising is the best PG game once again.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Zero was essentially a miyamato programmed game that pg finished, so even less to do with that than Nier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

There is that brief, mandatory slow-walking section I could do without. For some reason I don't remember an autoscroller in Vanquish but to be fair I remember extremely little about vanquish except wishing I was playing on PC instead of a console. It's a weird game cause I love the concept deeply but the finished product ended up in this half space where I felt like if you knew the properties and rules of everything you could be appropriately cool but experimenting to get there was too steeply punished and standard 3rd person shootening was too well rewarded.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rising has the little autoscroller section after you beat sundowner and fall of the building and then glider back up

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Nah, rising is one of the shallowest combat system they've produced. Astral chain is the new Queen of character action.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be very honest, the complexity of a given combat system has very little bearing on how much I enjoy it. For me is a mixture of clear input->output, time to defeat a foe versus involvement, a purpose to variety, and clarity and cohesiveness of the characters move set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oddium posted:

detecting unprecedented levels of mad cos bad in this sector

:rolleye:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bushisms.txt posted:

Nah, rising is one of the shallowest combat system they've produced. Astral chain is the new Queen of character action.

Rising lacks depth but it's probably their most satisfying and fun game. The moment to moment action is pretty much unmatched (or at least was at the time).

Barudak posted:

Its the godawful bear riding sections that really ruin Korra and I got I think every achievement in that game.

Lol this reminds me of that terrible Avatar game that a bunch of people bought because you could get all the achievements in 30 seconds.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the punch out sections can go pound sand as well

nah those are dope

just don't ask me how long it took to get the no hit cheevos

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That stupid Avatar game didn't arrive in time when I needed to grind out achievements for that one, and only one, context Microsoft did where you won real world stuff for gridning achievements so I had to make due with the Peter Jackson King Kong game and Madden.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wish i could play korra but unfortunately it's not available anymore because it was digital only and the license expired

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The Arkham games’ depth to combat really only comes in when you clown a group as hard as humanly possible.

Sure, it doesn’t give you a big “S++” on the screen, but you can get to max level way earlier in the game if you focus on combo variety. Punch punch punch counter punch works, but you get a lot more credit for something punch jump counter batarang shock gun batclaw finishing throw.

The combat has depth, but it’s very rarely necessary to actually use it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

To be very honest, the complexity of a given combat system has very little bearing on how much I enjoy it. For me is a mixture of clear input->output, time to defeat a foe versus involvement, a purpose to variety, and clarity and cohesiveness of the characters move set.

stev posted:

Rising lacks depth but it's probably their most satisfying and fun game. The moment to moment action is pretty much unmatched (or at least was at the time).

Different strokes and all that. I enjoy how w101 and astral chain made me think about the weapon set. I feel restricted by something like mgr where i only have one weapon at a time, when even in bayo i can strap on whip heels, and even in bayo i feel a lack of options which leads into sameness. I spent hours just practicing wipping out the zandatsu bot to break enemy attacks, then trying to chain that into combos.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best combat in Arkham was the combat that didn't happen because the last guy in the encounter was so terrified that when you popped up in his face he drops his gun and begs for mercy

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is “character action” just a shorthand for “something that hideki kamiya and/or platinumgames was involved in”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

is “character action” just a shorthand for “something that hideki kamiya and/or platinumgames was involved in”

It's an attempt to distinguish one of the many genre-children of Brawlers, and would include things like God of War, Platinum Games, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox and one entries) and some absolutely janky garbage like X-Blades and Nanobreaker.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

MGR has much better politics

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Dynasty Warriors only the enemy fodder units are my hopes and dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Dynasty Warriors only the enemy fodder units are my hopes and dreams

Instead of using your Musou attack, you can quit your job without a new one lined up