Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Are Karakuri Circus(though it's not fully translated) and Ushio to Tora worth reading if I like this?

in my opinion (though this isnt popular at all) i think you'd be disappointed.

for me, souboutei is both a significant departure from his earlier works, and significantly better. thats not to say i think the others are bad (i also havent read them fully), but souboutei is something else entirely

edit: after all, souboutei is the first time fujita has even approached sci-fi a little bit. and it's definitely way more directly horror-inspired than the rest of his work. also, one thing i love about souboutei is how it fuses seemingly-disparate vignettes, all of which are superbly done on their own, into a single cohesive plot. thats pretty much only something he's started doing with souboutei

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RatHat posted:

Binged through this over the last week, it's really good. I like how the art seems simplistic at first but is surprisingly detailed. Are Karakuri Circus(though it's not fully translated) and Ushio to Tora worth reading if I like this?

EDIT: By the way if anyone hasn't read it, this author did a single volume manga about a killer owl. It has some amazing art.

Ushio and Tora owns, although not quite as much as Souboutei -- the author is still very much evolving and learning as an artist and he gets better as he goes. Karakuri Circus honestly gets a little bogged down and feels like the freshman work it is, but it's still an interesting read.

Mr. Steak posted:

in my opinion (though this isnt popular at all) i think you'd be disappointed.

for me, souboutei is both a significant departure from his earlier works, and significantly better. thats not to say i think the others are bad (i also havent read them fully), but souboutei is something else entirely

edit: after all, souboutei is the first time fujita has even approached sci-fi a little bit. and it's definitely way more directly horror-inspired than the rest of his work. also, one thing i love about souboutei is how it fuses seemingly-disparate vignettes, all of which are superbly done on their own, into a single cohesive plot. thats pretty much only something he's started doing with souboutei

I agree with all of this except that I don't think you'd necessarily be disappointed, his older stuff just isn't on the same level.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thirded. I'd say of the earlier works I've read/am reading, Ushio & Tora is the best, Karakuri Circus is good if too long, and Moonlight Act is eh.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't update this thread enough. chapter 110 is out on the Death Toll site. (i don't find the reader ideal, but there's a download link)

mangadex chapter will probably be up by the time you read this anyway.

(also, this current deido's memories arc is one of my favorites! hot drat im excited)

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 16, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapters 111 and 112 are out, y'all

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Huh, didn't expect to feel bad for big crazy, but here we are.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 113 and 114 are already out!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulva posted:

Huh, didn't expect to feel bad for big crazy, but here we are.

I felt bad for him for about half a chapter, he's a tragic individual for sure. But then I remembered the mantra and then the new batch of chapters came out justifying that feeling.

Remember folks; Souboutei must be destroyed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So did he invaded as a kid somehow? Or was that just his mind snapping?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

So did he invaded as a kid somehow? Or was that just his mind snapping?

i think it was a symbolic representation of the "cracks in his heart" that opened at the time, and "evil" invaded, or came out from them (its ambiguous in the art). i took it as saying "here is why the paintings have been affecting people in this visual way: because it's how deido felt in his worst memory."

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
115 and 116 are out!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wonder what the title would be if it was licensed.

I mean, Souboutei Must Be Destroyed is pretty easy but...

Extreme House Hunting

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Attack on House.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Haunting of Hell House

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Ghost II

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 117 118 119 and 120 are out lol. forgot to mention

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 120 spoiler: takoha right now is the author's way of hinting that it's possible to guess kaerikuro's mysterious object. i wonder if anyone will get it before they spell it out. i won't confirm or deny anything.

also, if you already know, nobody will be impressed with a fake "correct" guess, so dont spoil by pretending to be a blind guesser. i personally had no clue what it was until the reveal, but it's definitely something takoha (and therefore the average person) could figure out

if you think you know it, guess in spoiler tags

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

chapter 120 spoiler: takoha right now is the author's way of hinting that it's possible to guess kaerikuro's mysterious object. i wonder if anyone will get it before they spell it out. i won't confirm or deny anything.

also, if you already know, nobody will be impressed with a fake "correct" guess, so dont spoil by pretending to be a blind guesser. i personally had no clue what it was until the reveal, but it's definitely something takoha (and therefore the average person) could figure out

if you think you know it, guess in spoiler tags

Is it a part of Seiichi's brother toy car? Looks like a bumper.

gently caress, Makoto is a neutral name. SoubouteiFujita :argh:

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 13, 2020

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Did Mangadex die? The link in the OP gives me 404 error, the main site address gives me a picture with no directory.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh gently caress, i forgot to update it to mangadex.cc

for now just change the .org to .cc

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

oh gently caress, i forgot to update it to mangadex.cc

for now just change the .org to .cc

That worked, thanks!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just caught up after falling 30ish chapters behind. This manga is so good. While probably unintentional, I got a real laugh out of Diedo getting super mad at his sister falling for that artist’s horrible constellations pickup line and him constantly talking about how the guy’s art isn’t even good.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

When Seiichi tried to remember where he has seen the big knife before I looked up if his mother's attack form is a knife and then stumbled over Makoto's in Chapter 38.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
God lord the art of Seiichi and Kaerikuro trying out the carbonated drink and chocolate is fantastic. Really exaggerated and cartoony in the best way, and the whole scene acts as a nice little breather after a couple of tense chapters.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

When Seiichi tried to remember where he has seen the big knife before I looked up if his mother's attack form is a knife and then stumbled over Makoto's in Chapter 38.

this post made me realize chapter 122 is out on mdex lol.

hhmmmmmmm

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 123 is out. its extremely important

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

A motherfucking tray latch?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some crazy poo poo going on in souboutei right now
(up to chapter 126)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rokurou's the Chosen One now.

Rakurou is Souboutei's Bigger Luke.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
“Hey what weapon did you guys pick to transform into?”
“I chose drill!”
“Axe!”
“Screwdriver!”
“...”

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

“Hey what weapon did you guys pick to transform into?”
“I chose drill!”
“Axe!”
“Screwdriver!”
“...”

That's a wood chisel.
One guy chose an old race car.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah that makes more sense.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

How many chapters are left until we are caught up?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lurking Haro posted:

How many chapters are left until we are caught up?

There are 15 volumes released in Japan and the scans just started volume 14. Counting the chapters that don’t have a volume yet maybe like 30?

EDIT: The raws go up to 179 and we’re at 130 so 39 chapters to go.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Souboutei will (not) be destroyed!

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
Just wanted to post and reiterate that Souboutei is a punk rear end bitch which must be destroyed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Feels like the manga is in the final stretch.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

holy poo poo at oujin having been here the entire time

dude wasnt trapped in souboutei or whatever he literally is just an immortal guy who wandered in and decided 'oh man this is sick, im gonna just kill a ton of people'

the comments mentioning that he shows up in the briefing and the entrance sequence and he's totally there in the first like 10 chapters of the thing

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

Feels like the manga is in the final stretch.

Fereydun posted:

holy poo poo at oujin having been here the entire time

dude wasnt trapped in souboutei or whatever he literally is just an immortal guy who wandered in and decided 'oh man this is sick, im gonna just kill a ton of people'

the comments mentioning that he shows up in the briefing and the entrance sequence and he's totally there in the first like 10 chapters of the thing

Ahahaha

Knowing Fujita, there's a flashback or breather coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I hope it ends and there is no sequel because that loving house is completely destroyed and never coming back.