Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's tax season and I'm getting money back, huzzah! So I thought I'd treat myself by entering the world of VR but I admit even with the very well done post on page one I'm still a bit unsure of what I should get. If room, space and availability wasn't a concern I'd say the Index seems to be the winner however I mainly want my gaming done at my PC with my rear end firmly planted in my comfortable chair. Looking at what was said and what there is able to be had it seems the Oculus Rift S probably suits my needs. I got a powerful computer, i9-9900, 2080 TI so it can handle the load. Plus I got a bunch of SDD's etc for storage. With all that said am I right in thinking the Rift S is the best choice for what I'm wanting? Or am I missing something. I don't see why Oculus Quest is better when I got more power with my computer. Is there a better option for what I was talking about? I really don't want to toss a couple hundred the wrong way here.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

EbolaIvory posted:

You're an idiot.

Well yeah, duh, I'm posting on the dying something awful forums avout an expensive niche hobby.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Keltar posted:

It's tax season and I'm getting money back, huzzah! So I thought I'd treat myself by entering the world of VR but I admit even with the very well done post on page one I'm still a bit unsure of what I should get. If room, space and availability wasn't a concern I'd say the Index seems to be the winner however I mainly want my gaming done at my PC with my rear end firmly planted in my comfortable chair. Looking at what was said and what there is able to be had it seems the Oculus Rift S probably suits my needs. I got a powerful computer, i9-9900, 2080 TI so it can handle the load. Plus I got a bunch of SDD's etc for storage. With all that said am I right in thinking the Rift S is the best choice for what I'm wanting? Or am I missing something. I don't see why Oculus Quest is better when I got more power with my computer. Is there a better option for what I was talking about? I really don't want to toss a couple hundred the wrong way here.

If it's just mad money get an Index. They are reputedly the cadalac of HMDs out of what's currently available.

If you dont want to spend that kind of money, get the Quest, IMO, if you can see your use case being even 10% untethered, packing it up to give Nana a thrill climbing virtual mountains or whatever. With a 20 dollar cable it turns into a PC HMD that can use your big dick rig so you have the best of both worlds.

I prefer the display to the S. Seems more... dynamic I guess.

Worth noting whatever you get is probably on backorder for weeks or months.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
People pirate for other reasons besides cash money.

Or I can say this:
"If you can afford VR then you must buy the Index" :smuggo:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Owlbear Camus posted:

If it's just mad money get an Index. They are reputedly the cadalac of HMDs out of what's currently available.

One downside of the Index is demoing to other people. By all accounts I've read it takes a good bit of fiddling to get the thing fitted right the first time, and it's pretty bad if you don't get it right because the positioning to be in the sweet spot is pretty tight.

Also, I've heard it takes like 45 minutes of play for the controllers to calibrate to a new pair of hands and track fingers correctly.

I'm getting an Index for development once they're back in stock (and I'm excited to try it out), but I feel like any demoing I do for other people is gonna be in one of my Oculus sets.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Or I can say this:

I mean, my recommendation is always either get a Quest or get an Index + Quest :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm now at the bare minimum of running just about any VR (nvidia 970); would it be worth upgrading to a RTX2070 or something beefy if I still have an old rear end proc i7 3770, or will I just be CPU bound and not see any diff? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for hardware chat :downs:

at this point you might as well save up - next gen is right around the corner. a CPU upgrade would be useful too (even if VR is more demanding on GPU, most of the time)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Or I can say this:

Don't forget that third and fourth $150USD Lighthouses, those are an absolute necessity!

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't know if this is kosher conversation, but between the Rift S and the Quest, which one has more opportunities for :filez: like can you load cracked apps onto the quest or is there store pretty much locked down?

Not so much piracy, but sideloading is something that exists natively for the Quest, and people have been making their own games for it through that method.

Tip posted:

Also, I've heard it takes like 45 minutes of play for the controllers to calibrate to a new pair of hands and track fingers

Not really true, at least from my experience with them. Just let people put them on and wiggle their fingers in VR, they'll have a fun-enough time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Keltar posted:

index if you have the big bux, rift s if you don't, quest if you want to play mobile-tier vr games without a computer (or pc vr games with some drawbacks)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I should have mentioned Index is not available in my country.

Steam has forsaken me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Keltar posted:

I should have mentioned Index is not available in my country.

Steam has forsaken me.

Quest and a USB3 cable then if there's even some small utility to untethered play. I replaced my CV1 with a Quest run over link and I'm very happy with it.

Not for nothing I don't think they've given any announcement of meat hand tracking for the S. Right now it's a novelty but I bet there will be some sweet games using the feature down the line.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not for nothing I don't think they've given any announcement of meat hand tracking for the S. Right now it's a novelty but I bet there will be some sweet games using the feature down the line.

The Rift S apparently will need an adapter stuck on the front, because the Quest uses all four of its sensors to make hand-tracking work.

edit: I bought myself a decent electronics-opening screwdriver set to open up my defective Vive Wand with... only to realize the screws on the base of the controller near the charging port are in deep little recesses that I'll need a dedicated Torx T5 screwdriver to get at :rant:.

Actually while I've got this thing open, anyone got a good guide for fixing the trackpad? It still mostly clicks okay for the most part, but while I'm gutting this thing open I may as well.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 9, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Played around a bit for a couple of hours in The Walking Dead, it's legit. Grabbing a zombie's head and shoving a sharp object into their brain is oddly satisfying every single time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

King Vidiot posted:

Played around a bit for a couple of hours in The Walking Dead, it's legit. Grabbing a zombie's head and shoving a sharp object into their brain is oddly satisfying every single time.
At a certain point i found myself routinely stabbing 4 zombies in a row and because they became an annoyance because I didn't want to bother with stealth, suddenly I realize brutally murdering something is mundane and I worry about the children of the future :thunk:

Finally picked up Boneworks. It's amazing, boring and spectacular at the same time. It's like portal but with hands instead of a gravity gun, and then suddenly it's a tactical shooter and it's loving amazing, and now i'm moving a pallet jack for the 15th time. I think I need to go through all of this because the 'arena' option in the beginning is still locked. Just let me :blastu:!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I already have the cable setup for Link, but even then I'm thinking getting Virtual Desktop as the dev says next version he will support Oculus games directly, no need of Revive+SteamVR. There is a number of somewhat slow games where I think the extra latency won't matter. For just $20...

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

I already have the cable setup for Link, but even then I'm thinking getting Virtual Desktop as the dev says next version he will support Oculus games directly, no need of Revive+SteamVR. There is a number of somewhat slow games where I think the extra latency won't matter. For just $20...

You can experiment with ALVR. I haven't tried virtual desktop, but found ALVR pretty reliable and great for lots of things.

I am getting 70ms delay, which whilst works pretty good, is noticable on games like Boneworks.

How's the latency on link?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

EbolaIvory posted:

If you can afford VR
You can afford $19.99 - $29.99 for games.
Maybe I don't want to refund every poo poo game. Or every game that is unplayable on my minimum spec machine. Maybe I want to be able to move the game folder around without any hassle because my SSD is small.
If pirating wasn't possible, I would have sold my rift a long time ago. Write me a PN if you have questions about the size of my SSD.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RabbitWizard posted:

Maybe I don't want to refund every poo poo game. Or every game that is unplayable on my minimum spec machine. Maybe I want to be able to move the game folder around without any hassle because my SSD is small.
If pirating wasn't possible, I would have sold my rift a long time ago. Write me a PN if you have questions about the size of my SSD.

:thunk:

loving lmao

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Tip posted:

One downside of the Index is demoing to other people. By all accounts I've read it takes a good bit of fiddling to get the thing fitted right the first time, and it's pretty bad if you don't get it right because the positioning to be in the sweet spot is pretty tight.

Also, I've heard it takes like 45 minutes of play for the controllers to calibrate to a new pair of hands and track fingers correctly.

I'm getting an Index for development once they're back in stock (and I'm excited to try it out), but I feel like any demoing I do for other people is gonna be in one of my Oculus sets.

I slipped my index on and it took like 2 minutes total to adjust everything. Controllers take seconds to calibrate, just wiggle your fingers

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RabbitWizard posted:

Write me a PN if you have questions about the size of my SSD.

You mean the average size of an SSD isn't 128 gb? This is very disturbing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RabbitWizard posted:

Mods can we make this whole thing the thread title?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

King Vidiot posted:

You mean the average size of an SSD isn't 128 gb? This is very disturbing.

Elliot VRodgers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
H3VR Take & Hold and the zombie thing, whatever it's called are pretty good. Especially the zombie thing. It feels pretty badass to decimate a small horde of zombies with a bolt-action rifle and a break-action shotgun. I was also very surprised at how good the armswinging is, besides making it very awkward to backpedal.
Are there any slot upgrades available in the zombie map though at some point? They're way too few imo.

Do any of the other H3VR maps have good proper games in them?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 9, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm coming late but he 'Wolves on the Walls' experience was really good. Good atmosphere, visuals, length and the small touches of interactivity made me care much more for the protagonist and the story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

H3VR Take & Hold and the zombie thing, whatever it's called are pretty good. Especially the zombie thing. It feels pretty badass to decimate a small horde of zombies with a bolt-action rifle and a break-action shotgun. I was also very surprised at how good the armswinging is, besides making it very awkward to backpedal.
Are there any slot upgrades available in the zombie map though at some point? They're way too few imo.

Beeline for Downtown Wienerton, there's a free backpack in one of the stores. You should also just save your meatcores to load up with four power cells and get the Translocator there running ASAP, as you'll be using it every single run to gear up at the stores there before doing anything else.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Do any of the other H3VR maps have good proper games in them?

Some of the arenas in the Cappocolesseum are pretty fun. Specifically the one that's a wave based defense whose name escapes me right now.

Meat Grinder is a bit short but it's pretty good. You have to find three pieces of meat in a spooky building maze full of traps and deadly robots. It's the only mode that makes real good use of the flashlight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, Cappocolesseum is a lot of fun. King of the Grill is the wave defense one, I think? It's got the nice "You need to use the weapons we give you" feel that T&H does.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Beeline for Downtown Wienerton, there's a free backpack in one of the stores.

.....the what now?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lockback posted:

.....the what now?

In the corner of the store with the woman who wants you to set up the radio towers. There's a backpack. It can be a bit glitchy to get on and off, but when it works it gives you enough slots to carry like, four batteries on its own.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

In the corner of the store with the woman who wants you to set up the radio towers. There's a backpack. It can be a bit glitchy to get on and off, but when it works it gives you enough slots to carry like, four batteries on its own.

When you find it is it permanent or do you have to go get it each run?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DoubleT2172 posted:

When you find it is it permanent or do you have to go get it each run?

Each run. Honestly getting the teleporter near Weinerton (the one around all the barfing zombies) should really be the third thing you do after resetting the traps and doing the graveyard quest for good melee weapons. The stores there have some seriously good poo poo.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Rift S apparently will need an adapter stuck on the front, because the Quest uses all four of its sensors to make hand-tracking work.

edit: I bought myself a decent electronics-opening screwdriver set to open up my defective Vive Wand with... only to realize the screws on the base of the controller near the charging port are in deep little recesses that I'll need a dedicated Torx T5 screwdriver to get at :rant:.

Actually while I've got this thing open, anyone got a good guide for fixing the trackpad? It still mostly clicks okay for the most part, but while I'm gutting this thing open I may as well.

literally did this yesterday. my left vive wand's 12 to 3 o'clock was mushy so I had to buy a master craft cell phone repair kit, because my brother had my iFixit kit 😔 there are two or three YouTube videos I cross referenced but it wasn't too hard. This was the shortest video with the best description but I used the trick from this video to actually remedy the mushy trackpad. I ended up using a small piece of pamphlet paper I had laying around because it's a slightly thicker stock than normal paper. The tiny, thin rubber nib that seems to be the problem with a lot of people's mushy touchpads was seated fine in my controller, so I cut the correct shape (shape: very tiny circle) and layed it on top of the nib and closed it up trackpad facing down. Once assembled they both click perfectly.

There's also a video where a woman is fixing her wand and it's obvious they don't do YouTube because it's like 20 minutes, no cuts, and she berates her boyfriend's ability to hold the camera a bunch 🤣 it's actually refreshing how real it is, like finding YouTube recipes uploaded by a Nanna and the person filming is their grandkids or something

makes me want a Joe Pera VR Experience :thunk:

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 9, 2020

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

I got a quest a little over a week ago and absolutely love it, thanks for steering me in the right direction. I’m looking to replace the stock face pad, since it gets quite damp in long sessions of beat saber or pistol whip. Does anyone have recommendations for the best option? VR cover looks good but is pretty pricey, and I’ve seen complaints about the AMVR pad reducing FOV. The cheap silicon pads on Amazon are also an option, anyone tried those?

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

EbolaIvory posted:

Distance is amazing. I low key cannot play it in VR though. Even the starter levels made me sick and I'd consider myself to have pretty decent VR legs.

It IS really drat cool in VR if you can handle it.

Distance is def one of my favorite games, VR or not. The campaign by itself is an interesting experience with really good visuals and music.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Sloop posted:

. The cheap silicon pads on Amazon are also an option, anyone tried those?
I've been pretty happy with mine for beat saber. I don't notice myself sweating any more with it than without, and it fits fine over the stock pad.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm starting to hate the Oculus app. A pair of days ago I said I had some problems downloading things but seemed to have fixed it by reducing the bandwith... well it improved things a bit but it wasn't the real solution, I STILL have the same problem, it gives out an error when downloading games and not only that, it actually deletes the files it had downloaded already!! I've seen the tmp folder with dozens of files, they weren't compressed or encrypted or anything, but instead of stopping the download because the error, it deletes everything. HOW IT CAN BE SO STUPID.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

At a certain point i found myself routinely stabbing 4 zombies in a row and because they became an annoyance because I didn't want to bother with stealth, suddenly I realize brutally murdering something is mundane and I worry about the children of the future
:thunk:

Yeah I grew up in the Quake/Doom generation as did all my friends and I'm firmly in the "2D first person shooters are not murder simulators" and my niece and nephew play battlefield/call of duty and seem pretty well adjusted

Arms-length murder VR simulators still give me pause and wonder about the future of society

I'm getting old

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
When I let my nephew play Boneworks over here, he spent an inordinate amount of time chasing and whacking these BB-8 thingies with bricks, and when those nullbodies came along, also spent way too much time whacking them with bricks and stabbing them. Not doing GMod style of antics, just plain virtual murder. Must be some pent up aggression (he has a speaking disorder, and it affects his upbringing accordingly, because kids are assholes).

I was like :stare: and like "Uh, how about you actually play the game?"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah this feels like a qualitatively different thing; we're going to have to reconcile "video games don't affect you because we can easily separate fantasy from reality" and "even though you know it's fake the illusion is so convincing you subconsciously believe it's real!"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's why VR games aren't video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You ever beat someone with a brick irl? Therapeutic as hell. This is why even when we were dumb cavemen who didn't know penicillin or to boil water we still had gladiator arenas.