Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

coke posted:

"We wish you to calm down and reflect" is a great passive aggressive response.

All it needs is "I'm not here to educate you" or something similar and it'll tick every box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Save the species, or wipe them out due to hurt feelings.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

WarpedNaba posted:

All it needs is "I'm not here to educate you" or something similar and it'll tick every box.

"Educate yourself" would also work. Attached are 20 speeches by Supreme President for Life Xi Jinping, reflect on their deeper meaning.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

it's unfortunate but i think the humans have to go

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Kharnifex posted:

Just don't do it through the way of a cook-off!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

coke posted:

It's as good a way as any to say "You wouldn't want to end up like an Uighur, would you? That's what we thought."

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

poverty goat posted:

it's unfortunate but i think the humans have to go

Yes, it's for the best

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

coke posted:

It's a perfect way to say "You are bringing this on yourself. We don't want to have to kidnap you and imprison your family. We really don't. But your hysterical insistence in doing your job as a doctor and trying to help/save people is forcing our hand."

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Nectar_Gan/status/1226190418863251456

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I wonder if the CCP believes their hold over the people to be so fragile that every single problem China encounters has to be the work of foreign powers. My wife never bats an eye over this kind of stuff since she can remember being a little kid and the news blaming everything on the US and Japan. The first time she started to question this, was the Hainan Island incident, when she wondered how a plane that looked so ancient could catch and hit a jet that looked so fast. She then wondered why you would try and hit someone in midair with a plane, as you'd be just as likely to kill yourself.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
"it is an illegal act!" and "Can you do that?" are gonna look great on the next round of Shen Yun billboards

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I don't think anybody expected the CCP to go this far to get Free Hong Kong off the news cycle

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
bay area person spotted

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So I just now realized that 2019 should have been the year of the Earth Pig, but instead everywhere was claiming it was the Gold Pig. Now should be the Gold Rat, but I don't see many golden rats about, mostly just white. I'm confused. What am I missing?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gold rat only has a 0.0001% chance of spawning after you check cam 2B.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

Gold rat only has a 0.0001% chance of spawning after you check cam 2B.

I spent an unhealthy amount of time trying to catch a gold mouse in Terraria once. Probably a similar spawn rate.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

Name the virus the Li Wenliang Memorial Coronavirus.

Name it after someone high up in the CCP who thumb-in-rear end'ed the response. Or Emperor Jinping.
Good luck getting that out the headlines and medical journals.

Kharnifex posted:

Wondering how an endangered pangolin got to China to spread the disease in the first place?... :thunk:

It's an attempt to hurt feelings them into wild extinction, with a captive stock hidden somewhere I bet

EDIT: Maybe nothing that clever, but putting them on a vermin/nuisance list would definitely be an extinction event

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Sort of ironic how some big-wig wanted to gain face by eating an endangered species, and cost the country billions of dollars.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

So I just now realized that 2019 should have been the year of the Earth Pig, but instead everywhere was claiming it was the Gold Pig. Now should be the Gold Rat, but I don't see many golden rats about, mostly just white. I'm confused. What am I missing?

Hi the gold rats are in Luigi's Mansion, hth.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
A video on mantou led me to Yunnan ska-reggae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50pY0895oI

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/Nectar_Gan/status/1226190418863251456

Such move is obnoxious and childish, experts said.

Lmao

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why does CCP propaganda always sound so loving awkward? "Such move is obnoxious and childish, said experts. "

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Probably just clumsily translated

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bronze Fonz posted:

I hope the words "Can you do that?" become so recurring the CCP tries to ban them from any online discourse.
I hope "Can you do that?" graffitis pop up everywhere.
"Can you do that?" should follow every criticism of the Chinese government onwards.

"Maybe acting on the actual problems instead of trying to save face would be more helpful... can you do that?"
My favourite CCP phrase is "according to the law" because whenever you see it deployed you know what follows will be total horseshit. Better than "it is known".
https://youtu.be/foqUPiwMiOM

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 9, 2020

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why does CCP propaganda always sound so loving awkward? "Such move is obnoxious and childish, said experts. "

I love how they are in fact experts in obnoxious- and childishness.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Fail-sons in the translation department.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they are still so pissed off about the unequal treaties that they purposefully use this kind of language to obfuscate any arguments of legality

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah a lot of that stuff is translated accurately, they just don't know/care how dumb it sounds to English speakers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

Probably just clumsily translated

You can make a Bingo card out of what comes out of government departments, propaganda outlets, especially their "Diplomatic" service. Cut, paste, fill in the blanks. Shake the phrase box to sprinkle garnish. "Internal matter", "Hurt Chinese feelings", "Territorial sovereignty", "Rule of Law", "Chinese characteristics".

There is no reason why you can't make good translations from any language to another. They choose to gently caress it up. It will continue until they give up on using a glorified call centre script. The writers won't because all those phrases are "Safe".

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

They're a lot like the Israel government when it comes to the "hurt feelings report" approach as soon as any criticism is directed their way. Never mind the atrocities, human rights abuse and genocide, you're a terrible person/entity for daring say anything against them. This can only go on for so long before it doesn't work anymore... sadly we're probably quite a long way from it not working anymore.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

oohhboy posted:

You can make a Bingo card out of what comes out of government departments, propaganda outlets, especially their "Diplomatic" service. Cut, paste, fill in the blanks. Shake the phrase box to sprinkle garnish. "Internal matter", "Hurt Chinese feelings", "Territorial sovereignty", "Rule of Law", "Chinese characteristics".

There is no reason why you can't make good translations from any language to another. They choose to gently caress it up. It will continue until they give up on using a glorified call centre script. The writers won't because all those phrases are "Safe".
If I make this bingo card can it go in the OP?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

oohhboy posted:

Hurray! It's the speechwriting from Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More all over again.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Putting these in the right thread.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Hell of a lot more up lifting to see the masks on pets then the story of people throwing them off the roof .

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Probably fake as it's newscorp

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...b144f4cbbc4d807

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BexGu posted:

Hell of a lot more up lifting to see the masks on pets then the story of people throwing them off the roof .

yeah but throwing a cat off the roof is probably safer to everyone including the cat than trying to fit on a mask to one

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

yes plz

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

BexGu posted:

Read about Old Cat the pet saver and feel better: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-pets/in-virus-stricken-wuhan-animal-lovers-break-into-homes-to-save-pets-idUSKBN1ZX1I2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

Go nuts. I suggest free spot be "This is killing".