Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

What game is this?

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I started playing the Mad Max game after the posts in here and it's pretty charming so far. Chumbucket owns, and I love how when you hop out of the car to salvage some poo poo or beat some asses he'll automatically start repairing it. My only complaint is that the PHYSICS GUN is not max level right off the bat. I wanna tow poo poo around and rip off wheels already :argh:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I never knew I wanted to play a game where my main combat strategy was setting myself on fire and hugging monsters to death, but Dragon's Dogma has shown me the light.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Uncharted: Lost Legacy is honestly the only Uncharted game I actually enjoyed playing. Maybe it was the more open levels or maybe I just liked the characters more.
Plus it was the first photo mode that I remember where you could change the characters facial expression.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

small ghost posted:

I never knew I wanted to play a game where my main combat strategy was setting myself on fire and hugging monsters to death

Why would you want a game where that isn't the main combat strategy?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Plus it was the first photo mode that I remember where you could change the characters facial expression.

That's always the best thing, and I guess I need to try out LL after just kinda not getting into the main series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looks like she's about to go

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Why would you want a game where that isn't the main combat strategy?

I just never dreamed big enough.

The self-immolation skill really is great though, I assumed it was gonna be underpowered and a bit lame but it's exactly the right mix of devastating when used correctly vs dangerous to pull off.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Kitfox88 posted:

I started playing the Mad Max game after the posts in here and it's pretty charming so far. Chumbucket owns, and I love how when you hop out of the car to salvage some poo poo or beat some asses he'll automatically start repairing it. My only complaint is that the PHYSICS GUN is not max level right off the bat. I wanna tow poo poo around and rip off wheels already :argh:

As the dude who posts about mad max all the time in this thread, I find that very validating. Have fun, ragedy man! Also later the thunderpoon is a big "I-win" button, ignore it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I think my favorite thing so far was pulling up to the recon area to look at the Jaws and right as Chumbucket started talking about how we can't stay there long, bad terrain, the physics flipped the gently caress out and launched the car (and max as he was getting out of it) a hundred plus feet up in the air, so I fell and died. :v:

There was a checkpoint right there so it was far more hilarious than it was irritating.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite weird behaviour from Mad Max was that the first 3 times I ever gave random travelers water, a hostile car would arrive and run us all over as the in-game cutscene played out. Until it finally didn't happen once I thought it was an intended joke. You could hear/see the car close in and I don't think you could interrupt the water giving scene midway yourself, or if you could I didn't know so all I could do was wait for the run down.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ocarina of Time doesn't really have many time travel based puzzles, but I like the Bill and Ted style one where you meet a guy who's mad at you for something you did as a kid that you haven't done yet.

Naturally you must immediately travel back in time and do it to proceed.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Kitfox88 posted:

I think my favorite thing so far was pulling up to the recon area to look at the Jaws and right as Chumbucket started talking about how we can't stay there long, bad terrain, the physics flipped the gently caress out and launched the car (and max as he was getting out of it) a hundred plus feet up in the air, so I fell and died. :v:

There was a checkpoint right there so it was far more hilarious than it was irritating.

Maybe you got hit by THE MIGHTY DUSTER!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh hey, after photo mode came up earlier I randomly found out that Dad of War has that same level of features implemented, even for most cutscenes. Progress is now a crawl as I stop every thirty seconds to see how much more done with this Kratos is now.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I’m currently replaying Half-Life 2, and I like that with Ravenholm the devs committed to the horror film bit right down to having the most unpleasant monster come back for a last scare just when you think you’re safe.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh hey, after photo mode came up earlier I randomly found out that Dad of War has that same level of features implemented, even for most cutscenes. Progress is now a crawl as I stop every thirty seconds to see how much more done with this Kratos is now.

is Boy always that psyched about draugrs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

is Boy always that psyched about draugrs

Doing a 100% Happy run on his end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's just how you read his exclamation. He's not saying "OH NO! DAD! DRAUGRS Look out!" he's saying "OOh! DAD Look! Draugrs! Cool!"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Olaf The Stout posted:

As the dude who posts about mad max all the time in this thread, I find that very validating. Have fun, ragedy man! Also later the thunderpoon is a big "I-win" button, ignore it.

But the explosion it produces looks so GOOD :negative:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rascar Capac posted:

I’m currently replaying Half-Life 2, and I like that with Ravenholm the devs committed to the horror film bit right down to having the most unpleasant monster come back for a last scare just when you think you’re safe.

I like more of Half Life 2 than most do (beach buggy road trip 4eva!) But Ravenholm still stands out as an absolute masterpiece of game design.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BioEnchanted posted:

"OOh! DAD Look! Draugrs! Cool!"

That's basically what happens in the normal version of that scene too

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Der-Wreck posted:

Maybe you got hit by THE MIGHTY DUSTER!!

After rescuing the dinky-di from Chum's sanctum I went to try and disarm the minefield on the way back to Jeet's. I then immediately discovered even though they look like giant anti-vehicle mines, which can't really be set off by a single dude IRL, they most certainly do not function that way in game. :downs:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

But the explosion it produces looks so GOOD :negative:

Last night I hit one of the flamethrower trucks with a thunderpoon. Hit its exposed fuel tank and the explosion was glorious. Saw some blue flames coming out of that explosion :kiss:

Kitfox88 posted:

After rescuing the dinky-di from Chum's sanctum I went to try and disarm the minefield on the way back to Jeet's. I then immediately discovered even though they look like giant anti-vehicle mines, which can't really be set off by a single dude IRL, they most certainly do not function that way in game. :downs:

Glad you found that out! I was hunting down mines last night and was very tempted to find out the same. Tried to lure a War Boy onto one but he moved around it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

The photo mode in Horizon Zero Dawn was a lot of fun, and it let you change Aloy's pose, as well as her facial expressions. It's a gorgeous game already, and the photo mode gave me a reason so spend even more time taking screen shots.

Hearing folks talk about Control, reminds me of playing Psy-Ops. I loved the playground mode that let you mess around with your powers and just have fun with them. Buttons to spawn endless enemies to throw around, stacks of barrels and crates to smash dudes into, giant metal spheres to squish them into paste, and my favourite, the huge wrecking ball on a chain. Using psychic powers to be a huge rear end in a top hat and clown on dudes is good fun.

Another great time was to mind control an enemy, and climb up to a high place. Then, jump off the edge, and remove the control. The guy has just enough time to realize what's happening, and then start screaming before he splats on the ground.

e: spelling durrrr

The Zombie Guy has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Feb 10, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Der-Wreck posted:

Glad you found that out! I was hunting down mines last night and was very tempted to find out the same. Tried to lure a War Boy onto one but he moved around it.

I managed to do it once. I don't remember how big the explosion was but it wasn't enough to be willing to do it a second time. But hey, was good to know it's not an anti-Max mine.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Sunless Skies scared the poo poo out of me when a massive spiked monster ascended from the fog right under my ship.

It kinda sucked cause it (understandingly) caused my crew to freak the gently caress out but I’m hoping more stuff like this happens in the future.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

Sunless Skies scared the poo poo out of me when a massive spiked monster ascended from the fog right under my ship.

It kinda sucked cause it (understandingly) caused my crew to freak the gently caress out but I’m hoping more stuff like this happens in the future.

Overall I found it less spooky than sunless seas but it definitely has its moments, that being one of them. There's some fantastically creepy random(ish) encounters in that game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

small ghost posted:

Overall I found it less spooky than sunless seas but it definitely has its moments, that being one of them. There's some fantastically creepy random(ish) encounters in that game.

Yeah Skies had much more of a sense of "awe", while Seas was more "terror". Your mobility and combat power in Skies probably has a lot to do with that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

SCheeseman posted:

I like more of Half Life 2 than most do (beach buggy road trip 4eva!) But Ravenholm still stands out as an absolute masterpiece of game design.

Strongly agree on both points. The roadtrip section had a feeling to it that I haven't seen in any other game since. I love trucking along from set piece to set piece, hopping out to explore and loot, and moving on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

The way poison headcrabs reduce you to exactly 1 hp without killing you is sheer brilliance. The threat level skyrockets as soon as you see one, but you don't get any unfair deaths because you forgot to look round all the corners.

I was playing through Ravenholm with headphones on, and it was tense and creepy as gently caress. Then my sister through a plastic cup at my head and I drat near passed out from shock.

15 years later she still gives me poo poo about it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I love trucking along from set piece to set piece, hopping out to explore and loot, and moving on.

My dude, have you played Mad Max?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seriously, Mad Max is like a hyper violent road trip with your best friend.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I replayed Half-Life 2 when I was stationed in Afghanistan. no bulshit I remember playing through Ravenholme and going "I don't remember this siren in the game!"

Then I remembered I was in Afghanistan and they would shoot rockets at us and it was the alarm to go to a bunker, so I actually felt a little relieved.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wasabi the J posted:

I replayed Half-Life 2 when I was stationed in Afghanistan. no bulshit I remember playing through Ravenholme and going "I don't remember this siren in the game!"

Then I remembered I was in Afghanistan and they would shoot rockets at us and it was the alarm to go to a bunker, so I actually felt a little relieved.

Did they hit any headcrabs for you?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC at some point in Startropics you were told to take a note your dad sent you and dip it in water to find a radio frequency. What they meant was to take a physical note that came with the game.

Hopefully you didn't accidentally throw it away or (more likely) rented/bought used an incomplete copy from a store.

A couple pages late, but this pissed me off so bad when I played it as a kid. I had rented the game so the note wasn't included and it was the early 90's so there was no such thing as easy access to the internet to look crap up on. I was just stuck. No way to beat the drat game.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they hit any headcrabs for you?

Some cafeterias and a contractor once.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Zombie Guy posted:

Inzombiac posted:

Seriously, Mad Max is like a hyper violent road trip with your best friend.

Huh, thanks, I'll take a look. I think I was very much tired of open world games when it came out, but I could really go for it now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

Huh, thanks, I'll take a look. I think I was very much tired of open world games when it came out, but I could really go for it now.

There's no other game that has the same feeling.

It's raw, lonely and has the perfect tone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Zombie Guy posted:

my god i never made the connection. no wonder i love mad max. it's one long Highway 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love that the black headcrabs in HL2 can’t kill you. They bring you to 1 and then you get the health back (all?). But I never learned that while playing it, I just thought i was lucking out or whatever. Learning about them later was what made me loving LOVE those bad boys. That and swatting one mid-jump with the crowbar.