Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Their replicator gave them lovely tv dinners to eat which they hated. Unless the Federation purposely programmed it wrong as a joke then they are too poor/low status to be allowed a proper replicator. Raffi's living situation could be caused by her being a huge loving idiot but her resentment of Picard's nice house with heirloom furniture strongly implies that he's a piece of poo poo rich old white dude compared to her, the black woman who lives in a trailer smoking spaceweed all day after getting fired.

Good natured bitching about the old style replicators from workers who are otherwise smiley and pleased. It's portrayed as a job where you are isolated and go without the finer things, sure. Like an oil rig worker or something. But did you watch the short trek? Their kids on earth are going to a very nice looking school. Them wearing hard hats and not having the best food available at work doesn't mean they are poor!

The Picard family owning a Vineyard isn't a new thing in this show though, they were always privileged. If this breaks Star Trek then blame TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

marktheando posted:

If this breaks Star Trek then blame TNG.

No it does not. You acshually confirmed all that was said before. It all works. Well, at least for me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Love to see DS9 fans complain about Star Trek portraying super smart engineers doing a very important job as working class everymen.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

marktheando posted:

Good natured bitching about the old style replicators from workers who are otherwise smiley and pleased. It's portrayed as a job where you are isolated and go without the finer things, sure. Like an oil rig worker or something. But did you watch the short trek? Their kids on earth are going to a very nice looking school. Them wearing hard hats and not having the best food available at work doesn't mean they are poor!

The Picard family owning a Vineyard isn't a new thing in this show though, they were always privileged. If this breaks Star Trek then blame TNG.

Yeah, the appearance of the vineyard raised the question of what determines whether a Federation citizen has more land than another in a certain location if there are factors aside from ancestral ownership. My parents had their house taken away because they couldn't pay they put the house up for a mortgage because they were unable to pay the property tax. Land in proximity to a certain location is inherently a limited resource that can't be replicated, even though everything on the vineyard itself can be. Picard having a vineyard didn't bother me, though, because it ultimately doesn't matter much except for the sentimental value of owning the same parcel of land as an ancestor. Unlike our Earth, having any land at all is not an issue, and they can move to another class M planet if it's about the climate, and transportation distances are so much shorter that those are less likely to be a factor, too.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 9, 2020

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

marktheando posted:

Why are they going without the finer things though? They were all on Mars so it seems unlikely that there would be any "cost" to giving them a replicator that works.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Federation really should have had a chat with Quark about sourcing better replicators.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pwnstar posted:

Why are they going without the finer things though? They were all on Mars so it seems unlikely that there would be any "cost" to giving them a replicator that works.

Y'see, the quarks on Mars are just too unstable for quantum foodification and that's why they only get simple meals out of their iReplicators. They would beam them in from orbit, but the tachyon interference is just too strong.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

marktheando posted:

Yeah people are really freaking out about it and think Star Trek is dead now.

Wow. loving idiots.

I thought it was a pretty good demonstration that it is still the free utopian society of Trek. Her life's a wreck, largely because she didn't rise above the loss of her Starfleet career, and yet she has a massive plot of land (possibly equal to the vineyard) where she gets to take drugs, drink, and keep firearms. She isn't being interfered with by the state. Nor is she being deprived. She obviously wants to be left alone, and so that's what she gets. She can create anything from her replicator, and she can still beam to anywhere on the planet at any time she desires. And can call upon a friend with his own personal spaceship at a moment's notice.

Her complaints about Picard's luxury was, I thought, obviously rooted in envy that he kept his status and reputation as the great captain, she on the other hand is an obscure and forgotten nobody. His vineyard represents that in her mind, while she chooses to live in minimalist barren psuedo-isolation as the embodiment of her sense of her own standing.

To read this, and whatever that complaint about the people working on Mars was, as proof that the Federation isn't a post-scarcity Utopia requires a stretch of interpretation bordering on the deliberately dishonest.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 9, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Well starship construction is one thing they definitely aren’t post scarcity on, so maybe resources are stretched with making the biggest armada ever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cynic Jester posted:

Y'see, the quarks on Mars are just too unstable for quantum foodification and that's why they only get simple meals out of their iReplicators. They would beam them in from orbit, but the tachyon interference is just too strong.

The tachyon interference you say

*beams chicken and mushroom pie into the past, changing the timeline forever*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The tachyon interference you say

*beams chicken and mushroom pie into the past, changing the timeline forever*

*accidentally leaves a pudding cup in 19th century San Fransisco*

*Geordi never existed*

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So that's how Data's head really ended up in the 19th Century.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hey so are we gonna talk about how the only person of color on the show is a drug addicted gently caress up?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey so are we gonna talk about how the only person of color on the show is a drug addicted gently caress up?

I've got some questions about what you think "person of color" means

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Are we going to talk about how you're ignoring people of colour to make a lovely racist jibe as a way to attack the programme?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like people are being weirdly obtuse to try to bend Raffi's situation into being part of the "utopian" future. Everything we see and everything that is coded is supposed to denote someone who's hit rockbottom in life and has an extreme lack of privilege. And the issue isn't that Star Trek is ruined or that United Earth needs to be perfect in every single way.

The issue is that the notion of a post scarcity world is interesting as is a world where people move away from a consumerist lifestyle. The option to just make it the 21st century with transporters is boring.

Picard will justify its existence only if Worf comes on. I am all aboard seeing Worf really gently caress up dudes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Wait, did people see Raffi's living situation as being somehow imposed upon her by Federation society, instead of a deliberate self-destructive choice that she's allowed to indulge in?

Yea lol

Also something something sunglasses :argh:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

replicator food always kinda sucked

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

oh but seriously I posted:

replicator food always kinda sucked
Yeah but in an Olive Garden to actual Italian restaurant kinda way

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

my canon is that the reason restaurants still exist is because only STEMlords with no idea how to cook know how to program the replicators

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like people are being weirdly obtuse to try to bend Raffi's situation into being part of the "utopian" future. Everything we see and everything that is coded is supposed to denote someone who's hit rockbottom in life and has an extreme lack of privilege. And the issue isn't that Star Trek is ruined or that United Earth needs to be perfect in every single way.

The issue is that the notion of a post scarcity world is interesting as is a world where people move away from a consumerist lifestyle. The option to just make it the 21st century with transporters is boring.

Well, you can go with the fundamentalist Roddenberry position that in the Federation humans are, emotionally, robots if you want but it restricts your storytelling and kills character development.

Also, she doesn't read as "rock bottom" to me at all. She's a bitter failure wasting away her days. And how someone can be a bitter failure wasting their life our of self-pity in that post scarcity setting is interesting.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

obviously you can ask the computer to do it but they are always on the bubble of going full on "kill all the humans" and so are constantly low-key loving with you

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

pik_d posted:

I've got some questions about what you think "person of color" means

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Are we going to talk about how you're ignoring people of colour to make a lovely racist jibe as a way to attack the programme?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Hoisted on my own Picard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Michael Chabon must’ve been reading this thread

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Are we prepared to unpack "person of color" in this thread as a chauvinist American neologism so incredibly reductive as to lump together the 7.1 billion people on Earth who aren't of European ancestry lmao?

Of course, the correct answer is that Chairman Oh is a Vulcan and therefore isn't really East Asian at all.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I like this guy. I'm going to miss him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

Are we prepared to unpack "person of color" in this thread as a chauvinist American neologism so incredibly reductive as to lump together the 7.1 billion people on Earth who aren't of European ancestry lmao?

Of course, the correct answer is that Chairman Oh is a Vulcan and therefore isn't really East Asian at all.

And Dahj and Soji are are synths so aren't half Filipino

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I always assumed the replicator inferiority stuff was a mix of people not knowing how to properly ask for things and being smug luddites about the convenience.

Like it makes food at an atomic level, it's not gonna be noticeably different to the real thing if you're not just asking for "one soup, hot" or whatever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I am never going to not find "our last mission got hosed up and you didn't talk to me for 14 years so I got hooked on space weed, which I vape in the desert" hilarious, the same with commodore cool's bitchin shades or their badass new ship from Mass effect complete with cigar-chomping emotionally damaged pilot

I don't care about pedantic nerd lore explanations for it he wrote for the spin-off comic book or whatever, just the fact that this guy thinks this stuff would be relevant to me in Star Trek is funny by itself

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

People unironically being mad about the sunglasses is the funniest thing.

Going to laugh when Commodore Oh turns out to be a secret Romulan Reman and also from the Mirror Universe. But there was also that shot of her very brightly lit office so who knows. SUNGLASSES :argh:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the computer has everyone convinced that tea has the taste and texture of mash potatoes. it did it as a joke

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I believe the replicator matrix complaint was a reference to the Short Trek with Spock and Number One where Number One said she created her own replicator matrix

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You know for a fact that there would be some nerd that creates some hungry man meal replicator matrix. "This was the manliest meal of the 21st century"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Computer; bacon weave, 0.25 square meters, thick-cut, peppered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Computer; bacon weave, 0.25 square meters, thick-cut, peppered.

Make it yourself

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nine-gear crow posted:

Make it yourself

*Pig corpse flops out of replicator*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

“Computer, pile it high.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Such a sassy subroutine, hand me my hyperspanner.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
please specify desired awesomeness of blossom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cojawfee posted:

You know for a fact that there would be some nerd that creates some hungry man meal replicator matrix. "This was the manliest meal of the 21st century"

And that nerd's name was Tom Paris.