Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Tippis posted:

Vista finally forced anyone wanting to work in the Windows eco system to learn about permissions and user spaces, and at least make some vague attempt at trying to stick to the reservation as far as where to put what data. Even so, opening up your %USERPROFILE%\AppData and see the torrent of assorted junk that gets thrown in there with no rhyme or reason, or looking in the HKLM\Software and HKCU\Software branches of the registry, and you'll quickly realise that the dumb is not gone — just mildly reined in.

I encountered this just yesterday when I was wondering why the gently caress my partition just for the windows install was almost full when it had not started out that way. Apparently Spotify just shits out endless amounts of music caching into its folder there. There was almost as much just random Chrome stuff in there.
This is why all Windows installs inevitably end up bogging down with files just lying around all over the place. Installing something will end up with files spread around in 50 different folders, registry entries, and who knows what else. And the uninstallers never properly clean up everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Still get a chuckle from the SC patch notes to delete your user folder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone in the ResetEra thread dared to be critical and the guy who made the video came in like a bit whiny baby defending this crap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure the answer is hilarious but why, exactly, are Citizens hating on literally the only good hard scifi show in decades?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dwesa posted:

These idiots just can't let go.

This is such a funny little dumpster fire. It brings a smile to my face picturing Lando and Chris, both clearly fans of the show, stuck in a place where they can’t tell their manbaby battalion to SHUT THE HELL UP YOU IDIOTS YOU’RE MAKING US LOOK LIKE LUNATICS because this is exactly what they’ve trained them to do, and CIG needs the manbaby money far more than they care to protect their brand.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Still get a chuckle from the SC patch notes to delete your user folder.

Recently some Ubisoft game update occurred or other, and people couldn't launch their game. Hundreds of posts, eventually the solution was shared: reinstall the launcher. The actual cause was a corrupt cache file - nothing more. A reinstall just winds up removing the offending file while tossing the baby out with the bathwater. Even better is when the uninstaller doesn't remove the cache file, so the person thinks there's something wrong with the PC, since the app never works again even if removed and reinstalled. Then they're off the the races going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole trying to find increasingly unlikely and esoteric causes for their problem.

Nearly every time this occurs you can point the finger squarely at bad app development. In TYOOL 2020 is it really ultra-critical that I have registry entries in place to play Doom? That's where you're storing the super-important shooty-mans data - the operating system registry? Star Citizen doesn't even do that properly - their registry entry is a raw GUID with pointless data in it.

I've worked with different bizarre operating systems over the years (OS/2 being to me the oddest) and Windows winds up getting the lion's share of the hate, and I think it's because the OS is far too permissive with what it allows app developers to get away with. You can install an innocuous app and wind up with cache files filling up 5 different spots all over the place (as pointed out earlier) and it takes its toll. Portable apps are the poo poo and there aren't enough of them.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

precision posted:

I'm sure the answer is hilarious but why, exactly, are Citizens hating on literally the only good hard scifi show in decades?

Association. They're legitimizing themselves as equal to it by engaging with it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

I encountered this just yesterday when I was wondering why the gently caress my partition just for the windows install was almost full when it had not started out that way. Apparently Spotify just shits out endless amounts of music caching into its folder there. There was almost as much just random Chrome stuff in there.
This is why all Windows installs inevitably end up bogging down with files just lying around all over the place. Installing something will end up with files spread around in 50 different folders, registry entries, and who knows what else. And the uninstallers never properly clean up everything.

Good old CCleaner is your friend, definately look it up.

Won't do poo poo about SC, though.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Doc M posted:

Goddamn it DF why are you letting let Alex shill for this bullshit, you should be so much better than this :eng99:
Eh not really

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

precision posted:

In order to be an SC zealot at this point involves being quite myopic, among other things. Clearly SC is the BDSSE, clearly it's just a matter of time, and clearly every person/media/property/etc. I engage with feels exactly the same way. So when this balance is upset by sempai noticing that SC is bad; you have to make room in your mind that they are clearly wrong and were always wrong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

Good old CCleaner is your friend, definately look it up.

Won't do poo poo about SC, though.

Fill out a trouble ticket.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone in the ResetEra thread dared to be critical and the guy who made the video came in like a bit whiny baby defending this crap.

Yeah the OCS use and volumetric scale have never been done before apparently

Citizens are patrolling the gate now

quote:

Maybe this series isn't for you?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah they do that. This guy (Alex) and the other guy in particular (John?) has had several meltdowns on Twitter when he receives pushback, eventually caused me to unfollow as it was such a constant cringe stream of how mean everyone is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aw, John does that poo poo as well? I haven't paid much attention to Twitter in a long while, but that's unfortunate because I really like his content.

The DF guys probably receive a bunch of lovely comments from idiot fanboys who get mad about their comparison analyses so I understand not wanting to deal with that, but if they get mad about legitimate criticism that really sucks.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

gently caress, am I doing? Even without the names I know who these people are. I need a few minutes to reassess my life brb.

‘Gift’ is when you hand someone money.
‘Donation’ is a gift that you can claim tax back on.
‘Investments’ vest over time and you’re supposed to declare those on tax forms, because there is an expectation one way or the other that money will happen.

These people are loving idiots that believe you can massage semantics to mean anything.

If you happen to be at the Nanog 78 hackathon. Come say hello. I’m wearing a grey Panoptes shirt.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What the christ is this. This is awful

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

precision posted:

cause primes cost like a hunnert dollahs an books am hard.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Doc M posted:

Aw, John does that poo poo as well? I haven't paid much attention to Twitter in a long while, but that's unfortunate because I really like his content.
Way worse than Alex from what I've seen, albeit in a slightly different way. He doesn't seem to be that...stable, I mean I would last prob 10 mins dealing with fanboys too as I would just respond with pigpoopballs.jpg constantly, but he was constantly posting how the criticism was basically driving him to self-harm and no one understands how hard he works.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Has this guy never heard of ED, NMS, Kerbal, Universe Simulator, or others?

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

I found the missing WTF. Beginning at 03:59 this self fisting inbred troglodyte exploits science about real loving life and death. You are not smart and you make anyone dumb enough to watch and take you seriously even dumber. Go the gently caress away.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Grillo posted:

What the christ is this. This is awful

"One way around the dilemma would be to keep all the assets in memory all the time"

Yeah, CIG tried that, then invented some tech that has been invented many times before to solve it... but their new version didn't work as well as other devs did it.

Oh, wait... he said "it does it efficiently"....

Ok, i dub this one to be a paid shill or a heavily invested backer.

EDIT: Oh my god, he played the "never been done before" card! When talking about rendering large volumes of dust/gas.

My shillometer just exploded.

I'm wondering, when backers watch this sort of thing, and believe what the person is saying, do their memories just self-wipe any facts that might contradict what is being said. Like, do they just forget whole games that have done things like SC is doing from their memories? Or do they file it under "Ah, but nobody has done this with X, Y, Z, on this particular scale, in this particular genre, using this particular engine before", and therfore have enough cavets to say its never been done before (exactly like this).

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 9, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Way worse than Alex from what I've seen, albeit in a slightly different way. He doesn't seem to be that...stable, I mean I would last prob 10 mins dealing with fanboys too as I would just respond with pigpoopballs.jpg constantly, but he was constantly posting how the criticism was basically driving him to self-harm and no one understands how hard he works.
Ah, right. John admitted in the comments of a recent video that he had a really lovely year in 2019, and constantly dealing with the gibbering man-apes on twitter/youtube probably didn't help matters.

Again, his content is really good and he genuinely does put a shitton of work into it, especially DF Retro, but if he treats all criticism like personal attacks I can see that getting annoying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dwesa posted:

The saga continues

:reddit: :
@Pretty Good Gaming sorry, maybe I mis spoke, nonetheless what I was trying to convey is that at it's current trajectory, star citizen will make the expanse no more than fan fiction high art. Besides, with old and emerging media platforms eventually converging, star citizen is better positioned to make a much larger impact on the genre. Sorry for the TED talk.
This guy again

:reddit: :
I think it's ironic how "gamers" have such a shallow understanding of the industry. The Expanse is little more than glorified fan fiction. Even as an unfinished game, SC has a bigger army. I think that's why expanse fans are mad

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ClownBobo posted:

I found the missing WTF. Beginning at 03:59 this self fisting inbred troglodyte exploits science about real loving life and death. You are not smart and you make anyone dumb enough to watch and take you seriously even dumber. Go the gently caress away.

This isn't Reddit and you're not actually responding to the person in question

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

"Chris Roberts is a bi-polar sociopath delusions of grandeur crack head."

& other refreshing zephyrs of Aussie wisdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tobAxtM1iSs

Reaction to Uncle Toucher's Island of Misfit Producers video is hilarious. The why Crysis Planet Theater Wars will fail just like AC and SM did before it makes some sense and may be worth a listen.

Star Citizen: Why anyone who ever received a participation trophy shouldn't be in charge of anything.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

I am sure he has. But those probably have not donated to his patreon.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
spcae

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

‘Gift’ is when you hand someone money.
‘Donation’ is a gift that you can claim tax back on.
‘Investments’ vest over time and you’re supposed to declare those on tax forms, because there is an expectation one way or the other that money will happen.

These people are loving idiots that believe you can massage semantics to mean anything.

If you happen to be at the Nanog 78 hackathon. Come say hello. I’m wearing a grey Panoptes shirt.

You left out 'Pledge' my friend.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
That Citizen Tech Talk video was not at all what I expected. This is full on heretic content. This is DSmart levels of FUD.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah it's not the first time. dude's a full Citizen

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

IAbsolveMyself posted:

That Citizen Tech Talk video was not at all what I expected. This is full on heretic content. This is DSmart levels of FUD.

Value for your attention paying dollar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IAbsolveMyself posted:

What the world needs is a DSmart bobble head.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2 pages in.

"As you can see from his post history...."

What is it with these guys and post-history stalking?
The redditors do it too. And they openly brag about it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sample_text posted:

2 pages in.

TO BEAT THE MAN YOU HAVE TO CHEAT THE MAN (out of his argument with slander)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sample_text posted:

2 pages in.

yeah we may stalk people but we know we're scum

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Scruffpuff posted:

There are so many bad IT people out there, and many of them work for very high-profile companies. Next time you wonder how Huge Company X got all their client's data stolen, don't. You already know exactly how it happened.

2001: "I installed something at random from the internet!" - an idiot who risks getting fired for incompetence
2020: "I used docker and it just works!" - a creative genius who's really going places

It's not surprising anymore. If modern security experts were trying to secure a house they'd have you cement over tiny windows and post snipers above them while leaving the front door wide open. While it takes a whole new level of incompetence to gently caress up a windows install, which random unpaid devs on the internet manage to work out, the "fixes" do not surprise me in the slightest.

Agony Aunt posted:

Or do they file it under "Ah, but nobody has done this with X, Y, Z, on this particular scale, in this particular genre, using this particular engine before", and therfore have enough cavets to say its never been done before (exactly like this).

First you say it's never been done before, which to the cult and anyone barely paying attention to games sounds reasonable. If someone contradicts this you say it's a matter of scale, which may/may not be true depending on the subject matter. The final mic drop moment is dreams.txt, which absolutely no one can argue against because CIG is still in business and therefore anything is possible.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Agony Aunt posted:

A crucial part of being a true Citizen is not having played a video game since 1995. Related: claiming the most popular currently active sci-fi franchise is fanfiction.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ClownBobo posted:

Your posting doesn’t make a lick of sense.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dementropy posted:

So, does low level troll still a thing in 2020 ? 2021?... no doubt about that at all :)[/i]
So close to asking the question "still in pre-alpha in 2020? 2021?..."
But yet so, so far away.

Edit: it's pre-alpha, I'm a dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
I look forward to the day when, due to CIG's development cycle, commandos track their faith by generational purity tests:

The tracking of bloodlines to the most revered of original backers

Shunning of those who marry outside of proscribed bloodlines

The solemn passing of JPEGS to the inheritor of record

The ceremony of the faithful, denying all FUD and disbelievers in drawn out posts on Reddit

The coming of age ritual, where youthful members are showered in advice on what ships to buy donate towards their growing fleet

Daily recital of never ending love towards Roberts and his wife, may they rest in peace.

Finally, the all important recital of belief: "We pray that release XX.XX is the Jesus patch and will make all dreams true"