Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just found out about China's social credit system in PSP.

Holy poo poo.

:stare:
That stuff is super hosed up and if you do more digging and learning about it you're probably going to get even more terrified. Like, "Oh your score is low from saying double plus ungood words on social media and our facial recognition technology locating you in proximity to other unpersons. Your travel is restricted you're not allowed to get on airplanes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
China is like santa, keeping a list, checking it twice, gonna disappear you if you're not nice.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wait, what? What do these words mean?

Watch the Black Mirror episode where your social media likes effect what things you can do in the real world. Now imagine that a totalitarian government like China is managing that and offering credits for anyone who narcs out their neighbors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm a big fan of most of his domestic work, but he's largely responsible for two decades of SE Asia shenanigans. Without his firm belief in the Domino Theory, Kennedy's administration probably doesn't get as much play out of it as they did.

He's probably the last good Republican president, but where he excelled had little to do with combat experience (unless we're tying the health/fitness of the general population to the wartime pool o bodies).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just found out about China's social credit system in PSP.

Holy poo poo.

:stare:

Dude, this has been a big thing for years.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wait, what? What do these words mean?

https://youtu.be/gjbSCEhmjJA

Skip to 20:00 for the story that did me in, especially since I knew nothing about the system.

tl;dw is:
China makes Tai Chi mandatory in schools / universities to emphasize it as the greatest martial art on the planet because ~ARE CULTURE~ and such.

40 year old guy with an MMA gym tries to educate folks on more modern fusions of martial arts, gets poo poo on massively by Tai Chi masters, fans, the government, and so on.

He remains defiant and starts taking on Tai Chi masters, demolishing them to no surprise.

The backlash increases to the point where the government forces the guy to wear clown face paint, lowers his credit score so he can't fly or use trains to get around, takes away his home, and so on.

Some crazy poo poo.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nobody tell him about the Uyghurs, he might Crack Ping all over the thread.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They have credit scores but government run and they take your patriotism and obedience to the party to account

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Nobody tell him about the Uyghurs, he might Crack Ping all over the thread.

Now that, I unfortunately do know about :smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Also, southern Germany is apparently getting wiped off the map by a storm tomorrow, so it's been nice knowing y'all.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/petersagal/status/1226558422075805696?s=20 :vince:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is this one of those archaic folksy things or is he going as senile as Trump?

I think he might be more senile than Trump to be honest. The media does a huge disservice covering for both.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Holy poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I'm a big fan of most of his domestic work, but he's largely responsible for two decades of SE Asia shenanigans. Without his firm belief in the Domino Theory, Kennedy's administration probably doesn't get as much play out of it as they did.

He's probably the last good Republican president, but where he excelled had little to do with combat experience (unless we're tying the health/fitness of the general population to the wartime pool o bodies).

In fairness, I think you can say that Ike's tenure as Supreme Allied Commander gave him extensive experience in managing organizations and personalities (*cough*monty*cough*) that he was later able to call upon as President. If nothing else, the interstate highway system certainly came from his military background.

In other news, Pete's increasingly rapid turn into 1990s Third-Wayism is starting to give me whiplash:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1226565174007648257?s=20

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Took me a minute but holy poo poo

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t get it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t get it

Albert Speer. Trump is basically wanting to regulate buildings in DC like Adolf Hitler wanted to redesign Berlin through Speer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_architecture

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Billionaires

https://twitter.com/Literalchemy/status/1226550113188712449?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The big thing is: Most hydrogen is sourced from natural gas and coal, only about 4% actually comes from hydrolysis, so this is still a fossil fueled ship.

Bought by a man who argued at Davos that he didn't need to pay more taxes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And people wonder why I utterly despise superyacht owners

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

@Hekk, this is why I beat you over the head about billionaires. It's not to be mean, it's because they're poo poo.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

EBB posted:

@Hekk, this is why I beat you over the head about billionaires. It's not to be mean, it's because they're poo poo.

Ok?

I never said billionaires were good people. I said Bill Gates was slightly less lovely than a lot of other billionaires. I don't think him doing dumb poo poo with his fat stacks of money, like buying super yachts negates the positive things his foundation has done. We can argue that all the terrible things he did to get that money cancels any good his foundation has ever done but I honestly don't feel strongly enough in either way to make the effort.

Feel free to be as angry at the injustices in this world as you want. My blood pressure level would kill me if I didn't try to take something positive out of things on occasion.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In other news, Pete's increasingly rapid turn into 1990s Third-Wayism is starting to give me whiplash:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1226565174007648257?s=20

He should be forced to answer exactly what his plans are to do this, because you can guarantee that slashing entitlements is a huge part of it. There's a reason that billionaires are throwing money at him and it's not because he's planning on raising their taxes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

fknlo posted:

He should be forced to answer exactly what his plans are to do this, because you can guarantee that slashing entitlements is a huge part of it. There's a reason that billionaires are throwing money at him and it's not because he's planning on raising their taxes.

WELFARE QUEENS!!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saw a dude walking his dog at the park in full multicam ACU 100 miles from the nearest post today

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Euthanize him and take the dog.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Completely outside of my usual posting topic, the star Betelgeuse might blow up into a supernova sometime soon! Or not. Maybe. They're not really sure!

https://twitter.com/betelbot/status/1226583476222275584

From what I gather, Betelgeuse is a weird star that gets brighter/dimmer in cycles, which scientists have been tracking. But lately, it has been dimming below its previously observed lows. That could be a sign that all of its fuel is about to be used up, leading to a kaboomey supernova! But scientists have no idea how long that dim-to-supernova cycle actually takes. Could be hours, could be years! Who knows!?

If it does happen, we won't all be dead (unfortunately), but we'll have a second moon in the sky for a while.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

facialimpediment posted:

Completely outside of my usual posting topic, the star Betelgeuse might blow up into a supernova sometime soon! Or not. Maybe. They're not really sure!

https://twitter.com/betelbot/status/1226583476222275584

From what I gather, Betelgeuse is a weird star that gets brighter/dimmer in cycles, which scientists have been tracking. But lately, it has been dimming below its previously observed lows. That could be a sign that all of its fuel is about to be used up, leading to a kaboomey supernova! But scientists have no idea how long that dim-to-supernova cycle actually takes. Could be hours, could be years! Who knows!?

If it does happen, we won't all be dead (unfortunately), but we'll have a second moon in the sky for a while.

Kickass

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And if we see it sometime in the next 642 years, it's already happened. :psyduck:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

stealie72 posted:

And if we see it sometime in the next 642 years, it's already happened. :psyduck:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Bought by a man who argued at Davos that he didn't need to pay more taxes.

I thought Gates had said before he wouldn't mind paying a bit more tax, just not too much? Has he changed his tune?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^No. It's just internet REEEEEEEEEEEEEEing.

shame on an IGA posted:

Saw a dude walking his dog at the park in full multicam ACU 100 miles from the nearest post today

Probably a recruiter. Or a VALOR THIEF!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I feel like you'd have to be in buttfuck nowhere to be 100 miles from a Guard or Reserve armory. Or maybe ROTC if you have a university nearby?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

They have credit scores but government run and they take your patriotism and obedience to the party to account

So when are we getting them here

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What the gently caress is wrong with the New York Times?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/us/politics/bernie-sanders-taxes.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Being hated by the president is really starting to get to them

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yet the article title is all about how Bernie is part of the 1%

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hekk posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the New York Times?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/us/politics/bernie-sanders-taxes.html

Jesus the Times is such loving garbage. A combined household income of $560,000 is most definitely a part of the top percentile, but within that percentile, it’s absolutely at the lower end.

This is “Ms. Springfield uses appearance-altering cosmetics to enhance her beauty” level of reporting.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flying_Crab posted:

I feel like you'd have to be in buttfuck nowhere to be 100 miles from a Guard or Reserve armory. Or maybe ROTC if you have a university nearby?

maaybe guard I shoulda looked at the shoulder patch but as far as AD it's about midway on a straight line from Bragg to Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

Albert Speer. Trump is basically wanting to regulate buildings in DC like Adolf Hitler wanted to redesign Berlin through Speer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_architecture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSrfp_uJiik