Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well I was trying to improve the seasoning in my Lodge frying pan and this is how it came out.. What did I do wrong? What should I do to fix/improve. I used canola oil at 500 for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just do some more seasoning

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

vulturesrow posted:

Well I was trying to improve the seasoning in my Lodge frying pan and this is how it came out.. What did I do wrong? What should I do to fix/improve. I used canola oil at 500 for an hour.

1. Canola isn't a great choice. You could get a better result even with canola, but here are some better oils: organic flax (expensive, smells like fish, must be refrigerated) or sunflower (cheap at Trader Joe's, if you have that option)
2. You used too much oil. Wipe it on, wipe it off. It shouldn't even look wet when you put it back in/on the heat.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

2. You used too much oil. Wipe it on, wipe it off. It shouldn't even look wet when you put it back in/on the heat.

I like to wipe it on, wipe it off, then heat it for a minute and wipe it again, to get a really nice thin layer. Even when you wipe it til it looks dry, once the oil heats up and thins out it looks "wetter" than it did at first.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Flax sucks cause it chips off. I use canola on mine.

Your pan actually looks fine other than having a bit too much oil. The objective is to have the oil evaporate in the oven. The less oil you have, the better it will evaporate.

Also I like doing 450 for an hour, or until it's fully evaporated.

Think of initial seasoning as only for preventing rust. Actual cooking seasoning is what makes the pan less-stick.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mantle posted:

Flax sucks cause it chips off. I use canola on mine.

Your pan actually looks fine other than having a bit too much oil. The objective is to have the oil evaporate in the oven. The less oil you have, the better it will evaporate.

Also I like doing 450 for an hour, or until it's fully evaporated.

Think of initial seasoning as only for preventing rust. Actual cooking seasoning is what makes the pan less-stick.

Kenji says that, but I've never had a problem with flax seasoning chipping.

Do more layers. The initial season is absolutely what makes a pan nonstick.

The oil doesn't evaporate, it polymerizes.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I also say that. It's my personal experience trying flax.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
My first seasoning I used flax seed oil and put on at least five layers. It looked great and then started flaking off in big chunks.

I now use The Field Company method using the recommended grapeseed oil with good results.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Questions for those who've had flaking:
1. Did you start on bare silver metal?
2. Did you do thinnest-possible layers by wiping basically dry?
3. Do you use soap when cleaning, such that a paper towel comes off clean after?

It's too bad there's variation in the results. My thought is that it really does make hardest-possible layers, but if they're not well bonded then you're SOL.

For comparison, my answers are yes to all. It's a different style for sure, not nearly everybody's cup of tea, and while it works for me I'd be interested to know if anyone matches exactly and still flakes.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I used flax on my pan and it worked fine, but I beat the poo poo out of it constantly, so it's probably only ever a relatively thin layer. I didn't bother to buy another bottle when it ran out.

So what's everyones Christmas Cast Iron this year?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry for a stupid question, but is there a secret to using a cast iron skillet with an induction burner?

From what I can tell, even when setting it to a moderate ~350F, the middle heats up crazy hot very fast which seems to just vaporize my seasoning. Eventually it settles down and mostly evens out at the desired temperature.

What am I doing wrong? It's very frustrating to have mostly a beautiful pan who's center is constantly getting trashed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've never used one, but this might work: Tescoma Induction Hob Adapter Ø 21 cm Presto, Assorted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1TFH5U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vEjbEbRCP0QH9

It's meant to enable a non-induction pan. The magnetic flux will likely take the path through this primarily, leading to more even heat.

That was just the top hit on Google, so read reviews and shop around, and good luck!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Family portrait of my modest collection (smallest to biggest)

Lodge mini
Griswold single egg skillet #53
No name with a hammered exterior
Wagner Ware with a wooden handle (basement find and my favorite by far of the bunch)
Thrift store lodge

All are in regular rotation, I’ve gone one more on my list to get and then will probably move on to trying to snag a decent Dutch oven for bread baking purposes.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Does that wooden handle get hot on the stovetop?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BrianBoitano posted:

Questions for those who've had flaking:
1. Did you start on bare silver metal?
2. Did you do thinnest-possible layers by wiping basically dry?
3. Do you use soap when cleaning, such that a paper towel comes off clean after?

It's too bad there's variation in the results. My thought is that it really does make hardest-possible layers, but if they're not well bonded then you're SOL.

For comparison, my answers are yes to all. It's a different style for sure, not nearly everybody's cup of tea, and while it works for me I'd be interested to know if anyone matches exactly and still flakes.

Mine has never flaked, and I answered yes to all three.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Does that wooden handle get hot on the stovetop?

Nope

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The downside: it's ill-advised to sear a pork chop on the range and throw the whole thing in the oven, pan and all, to finish.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Missing Name posted:

The downside: it's ill-advised to sear a pork chop on the range and throw the whole thing in the oven, pan and all, to finish.

That’s what the big guy is for.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Super pumped me and my wife stopped into an antiques shop near our house on a whim and I came across a few Griswold skillets. A 10, 8, and 3" all scored for $100 total. In decent condition although probably gonna have to clean cycle the 10.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I posted like four years ago that I inherited a griswold cast iron. I'm going to finally season it. Does anyone have a lazy way to actually figure out when it was manufactured?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My dad had a giant stack of old rusty cast iron that I'm finally trying to sift through. First thing to catch my eye is this corn bread pan. I think it might be an unmarked Griswold?

Other finds were a Wagner bacon and eggs skillet, a few old Lodges, and a bunch of unmarked poo poo that will take me ages to identify.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In cleaning some carbonised toast off my relatively new cast iron pan I took off some of the seasoning and exposed bare iron, so I reseasoned it once with a very thin layer of sunflower oil and left it to cool in the oven. When I checked it in the evening it looked fine but the next day the patch I'd been scrubbing at was rusty red.

I intended to do a few more seasons but in the process it made my flat stink of oil and I have my girlfriend's mum staying until the weekend and don't wanna make her suffer too, so I'm planning on doing it once she leaves. What do I need to do to fix it, beyond scrubbing the rusty bit off (will the same scourer I used that initially took the seasoning off be enough to get rid of the rust?) and reseasoning a few times?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can always just keep cooking over the top of it and hope it fades. That's what I did...

Nah though, seems to be an art to it. Just try again. If the seasoning is that weak that just chipping some grunge off will take it down that badly, might be worth reseasoning the whole thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

vulturesrow posted:

I just keep frying stuff and I scrape and I scrape and I scrape heavily using my metal spatula, been doing it for years now.

I don't own any non stick pans any more.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

In cleaning some carbonised toast off my relatively new cast iron pan I took off some of the seasoning and exposed bare iron, so I reseasoned it once with a very thin layer of sunflower oil and left it to cool in the oven. When I checked it in the evening it looked fine but the next day the patch I'd been scrubbing at was rusty red.

I intended to do a few more seasons but in the process it made my flat stink of oil and I have my girlfriend's mum staying until the weekend and don't wanna make her suffer too, so I'm planning on doing it once she leaves. What do I need to do to fix it, beyond scrubbing the rusty bit off (will the same scourer I used that initially took the seasoning off be enough to get rid of the rust?) and reseasoning a few times?

Honestly sounds like you have a good idea, that's what I'd do were I you. Not sure what you mean about cool though, my process has been to stick the pan with a very thin layer of oil in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes and then repeat 4 times. There's no cooling between coats or anything so it's quicker.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ah word? I thought leaving it to cool completely after each season would be necessary for the polymerisation to work properly

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Heavy scraping all the time while frying. Never flaked off any seasoning on my pan yet, not even with soap and a brush. It's on there a like a rock. Absolutely don't baby my pans at all.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I prefer wooden utensils to metal, but that is more my personal preference than any other "care" reasons. Metal scraping my pans has never given me issues.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bought a new cast iron skillet (based on recommendations in this very forum, actually).

It's very much not smooth in the least:

https://i.imgur.com/Ug8Nd8R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PcySXW2.jpg

(Those spots that look a bit like rust might be leftover oil from my attempts to season?)

Should I try to sandpaper / polish it? If so, what's the best way to go about that?

Last but not least: is a 12 inch lid a good fit for a 31 cm skillet (i.e, either utensil is actually slightly larger or smaller than advertised, as 12 inches are 30.5 cm)?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is your pan Lodge? If not the lid might not fit. Measurements are nominal.

Also just cook with it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Second opinion: do this :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2GLt8Nd4s

If you watch at all, skip to 7:40

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Bought a new cast iron skillet (based on recommendations in this very forum, actually).

It's very much not smooth in the least:

https://i.imgur.com/Ug8Nd8R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PcySXW2.jpg

(Those spots that look a bit like rust might be leftover oil from my attempts to season?)

Should I try to sandpaper / polish it? If so, what's the best way to go about that?

You COULD take an angle grinder to it to make the bare metal nice and smooth. I've done this to three pans and the difference isn't worth it.

Over time, with usage, the seasoning you build will become smooth.

Mantle posted:

Also just cook with it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I personally think it's worth it. One of my pans was rough like that and became so much better afterwards. And building a good seasoning takes way less time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mantle posted:

Is your pan Lodge? If not the lid might not fit. Measurements are nominal.
Nope. A Guro. By all appearances, they don't actually make lid for their own skillets (at least, not anything available online).

Assuming I don't have an angle grinder or whatever this guy is using, would regular sandpaper work, or just take forever?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sanding by hand is possible but it will take a long time and probably suck rear end. imo just cook, cook, cook and you'll get there

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I'm using a Lodge cast iron skillet on a gas rangetop and the bottom of skillet looks like its more bare metal than seasoned. Is this normal or is the flame removing seasoning that should be on the bottom of the pan? Is it a problem and should I be reseasoning the bottom/sides? No problems with seasoning on the inside of the pan.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Base Emitter posted:

I'm using a Lodge cast iron skillet on a gas rangetop and the bottom of skillet looks like its more bare metal than seasoned. Is this normal or is the flame removing seasoning that should be on the bottom of the pan? Is it a problem and should I be reseasoning the bottom/sides? No problems with seasoning on the inside of the pan.

The outside needn't be nonstick, just needs something to stop it from rusting. If it's not rusting I wouldn't worry about it.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Cool. Haven't noticed any rust.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I've gotten more into cooking lately and have a cast iron I use quite a bit. Back when I started I would leave food in it and cooked things on high heat, there was a good amount of carbonized gunk on there, I didn't know what I was doing. These days I try to work on lower heat, and wipe it down after cooking, and if there's anything left on do a rinse, rub with a little chainmail dealie, dry, oil on, wipe off, and in the oven to ensure no residual water. I've never left water in it and such and haven't noticed any rust but I am seeing a lot of flaking on the cast iron now, I'm wondering if there's any recommendation on what I should do? I gave it a hard rub with the chainmail in warm water and did another oil pass into the oven but there's still some flaking around where the handle meets the pan, at the "spout" points, and where the base of the pan meets the wall. Is this something I should do something about immediately? Is there something I'm doing wrong causing this?

Really want to treat my cast iron right but I'm wondering if burning too much stuff into it in the past and leaving it has caused issues.

I will accept recriminations duly with any advice provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I've only ever had flaking when I used flax oil for seasoning. Is that what you did?