Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I like this guy and he did explain it all almost to my expectations and conclusions.
No expectations subverted = happy me.

Delsaber posted:

And that nerd's name was Tom Paris.

HIS NAME IS TOM PARIS HIS NAME IS TOM PARIS

poo poo I snyped a page with tom paris' name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I know what he's saying is that logically we can conclude that Oh isn't Vulcan, but I wanted it to be "Vulcan's just think sunglasses look cool af"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56HSPQHSqEE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Computer, activate Emergency TVIV Mod Hologram!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Computer, activate Emergency TVIV Mod Hologram!

*Neelix appears*

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

*Neelix appears*

I'd eat a sixer to see a mod here with Neelix avatar.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why is ship design poo poo in Trek now?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s been poo poo for almost two decades, unfortunately.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been poo poo for almost two decades, unfortunately.

How dare you besmirch John Eaves like that!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

How dare you besmirch John Eaves like that!

John Eaves can’t draw round spaceships

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Even the fleet at Utopia planetia was a whole different design concept from late 23rd century design.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zotix posted:

To spite you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zotix posted:

Because the TOS and Next Gen Enterprises were such a good design there was no place to go but down.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timeless Appeal posted:

Because the TOS and Next Gen Enterprises were such a good design there was no place to go but down.

Voyager was a great design. Shame about the rest of the show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I never hated voyager's design or anything but people have pointed out to me that it is a spoon, the spoon that flies through space with stubby little wings

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

But it's not even trying to keep the same aesthetic any more. It's a whole different concept. It's just weird.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zotix posted:

But it's not even trying to keep the same aesthetic any more. It's a whole different concept. It's just weird.

Bollocks. La Sirena clearly derives from established design language. At least try to ground your criticism in reality.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yes. Going back to ship aesthetics randomly from 150 years prior makes sense. Ohhhhkay dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

One of the funniest things I've seen in a while w/r/t starship design is how blisteringly mad Andrew Probert is to this day is about the Galaxy-X from All Good Things and what the TNG production team did his beloved Enterprise-D after he left TNG. Like the All Good Things Enterprise is an amazing piece of garbage, but it's just amusing to see that he hates it that much.

Also his version of the Enterprise-C is incredible and beautiful and really makes the version that ended up on screen look cheap as poo poo in comparison.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lol, I like how he addressed the most surface level complaints, all though to be fair they're probably the loudest. It's the holographic communications in Discovery all over again, but hey at least he has the guts to stick to his guns on them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zotix posted:

Yes. Going back to ship aesthetics randomly from 150 years prior makes sense. Ohhhhkay dude.

You are actually incoherent.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why can't a ship made by a private company, or the equivalent in federation society, have its own aesthetic? Why would it be based on anything else? You're treating it like it's a computer game where there are 'racial characteristics'. Not all human ships have to look the same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol, I like how he addressed the most surface level complaints, all though to be fair they're probably the loudest. It's the holographic communications in Discovery all over again, but hey at least he has the guts to stick to his guns on them.

Needs this song playing over that instagram video.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why can't a ship made by a private company, or the equivalent in federation society, have its own aesthetic? Why would it be based on anything else? You're treating it like it's a computer game where there are 'racial characteristics'. Not all human ships have to look the same.

This is entirely valid, but in addition to that my point was that it does have design language from TNG/DS9 era vessels.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

Other shows have cool looking spaceships this one is just kind of "meh" and feels like it belongs in another franchise. It's nice that it's pretty clean looking and doesn't have dirt and grime everywhere I guess

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the vape pen is a perfected form, beyond aesthetic or technical advancement

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You are actually incoherent.

Do you ever watch the show or did you see this as a good place to troll nerds cause that seems to be your main and only goal.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's not just that ship that im referring to. I'm also referring to the ships shown at Utopia planetia. Even those looked like 23nd century Starfleet vessels rather than later 24th century vessels.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tighclops posted:

Other shows have cool looking spaceships this one is just kind of "meh" and feels like it belongs in another franchise.

This has been the battle cry of mewling Toxic Fans since TNG.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

socialsecurity posted:

Do you ever watch the show or did you see this as a good place to troll nerds cause that seems to be your main and only goal.

Go and gently caress both yourself and the gate you are keeping. People are allowed to like things you do not, and post about them in the appropriate threads.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol and I'm toxic, ok bud

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

the vape pen is a perfected form, beyond aesthetic or technical advancement

I mean, if it's thin enough that it's the size of a normal average biro, and about the lengtht hat when you hold it in a fist, it's about the right length to be held int he fist and not stick out but not be too short, then yeah, it kind of unironically is.

The reason heavy vapers in the 21st century have big blocky ones a lot of the time is because they want stronger heating elements etc than you get in the super thin pens.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really hope Commodore Oh isn’t actually yet another Romulan in disguise and that the sunglasses aren’t supposed to be some secret tell that the superfans are supposed to pick up on because Vulcans have extra eyelids. Can’t she just like sunglasses?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'd like to think the true sign of Federation cultural advancement is that they don't feel the need to create ostentatiously large clouds when vaping. So yeah, a compact one would be ideal.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mehall posted:

I mean, if it's thin enough that it's the size of a normal average biro, and about the lengtht hat when you hold it in a fist, it's about the right length to be held int he fist and not stick out but not be too short, then yeah, it kind of unironically is.

The reason heavy vapers in the 21st century have big blocky ones a lot of the time is because they want stronger heating elements etc than you get in the super thin pens.

surely they have the technology make it look cool like an actual cigarette/big spliff

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I need closure on Boothby

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Wow. loving idiots.

I thought it was a pretty good demonstration that it is still the free utopian society of Trek. Her life's a wreck, largely because she didn't rise above the loss of her Starfleet career, and yet she has a massive plot of land (possibly equal to the vineyard) where she gets to take drugs, drink, and keep firearms. She isn't being interfered with by the state. Nor is she being deprived. She obviously wants to be left alone, and so that's what she gets. She can create anything from her replicator, and she can still beam to anywhere on the planet at any time she desires. And can call upon a friend with his own personal spaceship at a moment's notice.

Her complaints about Picard's luxury was, I thought, obviously rooted in envy that he kept his status and reputation as the great captain, she on the other hand is an obscure and forgotten nobody. His vineyard represents that in her mind, while she chooses to live in minimalist barren psuedo-isolation as the embodiment of her sense of her own standing.

To read this, and whatever that complaint about the people working on Mars was, as proof that the Federation isn't a post-scarcity Utopia requires a stretch of interpretation bordering on the deliberately dishonest.

My complaint isn't that there's no way to justify every element in universe if you really want to, it's that it's presented using recognisably modern cliche'd imagery as a writing shorthand. A shorthand that's throughout the show that feels out of place in the setting it's supposed to be building.

The last time Picard sees Raffi she's all "they're gonna fire my rear end" - this is your first bit of coding, loyal worker who get poo poo-canned for speaking up. But this is incongruous with the setting, it isn't how even pseudo military structures work, it's not a corporation.

Next we see a straight up trailer home in the boonies. Then she pulls a space shotgun on him and is all "You sonnova bitch, Picard. Ain't nothing you can say to make me let you in here" - coding: the lowest socio economic status, hard times, bitter and paranoid.

She's a meth head too (oh sorry, snake leaf) - more coding, in a 21st century context this is someone who's dropped out of society.

And she uses Picard's class insulation to attack him, she directly compares their living situations and not favourably to say the least - this is to show resentment at their disparate life trajectories since they last met, but it's a 21st century coding of class that's meaningless in a setting where you can replicate an identical "heirloom chair" to the molecular level.

Now all of this clear unambiguous coding does two things for the audience, one of them intentional, one them either not considered or not cared about.

First it very efficiently paints a picture of someone who's life has gone to poo poo. Everyone in the audience gets it.

But it also conjures all the baggage those things in the 21st century would naturally come with. Particularly to a non American viewer, this scene is incredibly dated. It's coded to a specific time and place and feels foreign to the setting because of it.

Now you can justify all of these actions in universe like saying that her having a firearm is evidence that the Federation is leaving her alone or that she's chosen to live out in the desert. Fine, I can't argue with that, there's basically nothing you can't create an in universe explanation for.

But everything you put on the screen matters.

Everything is a deliberate choice to communicate as much information as possible.

So if the associated context that comes along with very unambiguous 21st century coding is unintentional, then it's lazy shorthand that is incongruous with the setting, and damned unimaginative to boot.

I used an example with another poster, if you were to write a 24th century police officer and you coded him as 21st century LAPD in his dress, manner, speech and... attitudes... Would it be fair to an audience to then say, "This is the 24th century, of course that interaction with Geordie was harmless! Why would you think that?!"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Honestly, I thought she lived in the trailer because she's paranoid, it didn't even occur to me to think "because she's poor."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

And LOL at the nonstop whining about "coding" things in 21st century terms. The whole loving franchise is "coded" in modern terms. Literally none of it makes sense as actual futurism.

The entire premise of Star Trek is built on anachronisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Honestly, I thought she lived in the trailer because she's paranoid, it didn't even occur to me to think "because she's poor."

That was my read on it too. Especially when she comes out gun leveled at Picard's head, tells him to gently caress off, and the thing he says to get her to reconsider is "Hey, there's a conspiracy going on!"