Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

haha gently caress me, turns out there is a function for this: WEEKNUM()

Here I was thinking that this is kind of an oddball request, but Excel has thought of everything:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/weeknum-function-e5c43a03-b4ab-426c-b411-b18c13c75340

(office's help site seems to be working again, if a bit slow for me at least)

edit:

Still not entirely sure this would help you overall, though. You'd still have to go through each data set and move/massage things around. If this is a one-off thing, it's probably quickest to brute force it the way I described earlier.

But that said, the WEEKNUM() function would at least standardize things for you to some sort of "official" week number, rather than just assuming the 1st data point of 2015 is actually in week 1.

Nifty, I'll give that a look. Thanks again.

edit: Also this wouldn't be the first time that I spent longer trying to look up and learn to use a new function for some one-off purpose than it would have taken to brute force it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'd like to have a feed of nature pics shown to me on topics I choose, plants, insects etc. I joined reddit but all the relevant subreddits are mostly about clueless idiots sticking the things into jars where they die. What's a good way to do this? Pinterest or something? Instagram?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

aphid_licker posted:

I'd like to have a feed of nature pics shown to me on topics I choose, plants, insects etc. I joined reddit but all the relevant subreddits are mostly about clueless idiots sticking the things into jars where they die. What's a good way to do this? Pinterest or something? Instagram?

Instagram is certainly full of nature photographers and scientists and whatnot

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Instagram is certainly full of nature photographers and scientists and whatnot

Yeah seems like this was definitely kind of a stupid question but that's what the thread is for after all :v:

If someone has a suggestion beyond Pinterest / Instagram I'd still be happy to hear it!

e: yeah the follow hashtag function on instagram basically seems to do what I'm looking for.
e: hold on it does nothing, I can follow hashtags but it doesn't show them in the feed?
e: it only shows posts from people I follow, not from the hashtags, not sure what's going on there / what the hashtags are there for then
e: gently caress this I'll just go outside more :v:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 7, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah seems like this was definitely kind of a stupid question but that's what the thread is for after all :v:

If someone has a suggestion beyond Pinterest / Instagram I'd still be happy to hear it!

e: yeah the follow hashtag function on instagram basically seems to do what I'm looking for.
e: hold on it does nothing, I can follow hashtags but it doesn't show them in the feed?
e: it only shows posts from people I follow, not from the hashtags, not sure what's going on there / what the hashtags are there for then
e: gently caress this I'll just go outside more :v:

It won't show you every post on the hashtag, just the occasional popular one. If you follow people that like things on the hashtag I think that also increases visibility. So find and follow people that like posting bugs.

Pinterest works more like what you want, but I don't know if the quality is going to be as good.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

It won't show you every post on the hashtag, just the occasional popular one. If you follow people that like things on the hashtag I think that also increases visibility. So find and follow people that like posting bugs.

Pinterest works more like what you want, but I don't know if the quality is going to be as good.

Thank you! That clears up things a bit, the help pages were zero use. I think if the hashtags don't let me filter out all the selfies Instagram isn't what I'm looking for. I like the ability Pinterest gives me to just create a wall of pics of rock gardens or whatever I want, but I'm not sure that it actually adds anything over just doing a Google image search for the keyword with picture size set to large, which seems like the cleanest way to do this now that I think of it. That's kinda funny.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 7, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Thank you! That clears up things a bit, the help pages were zero use. I think if the hashtags don't let me filter out all the selfies Instagram isn't what I'm looking for. I like the ability Pinterest gives me to just create a wall of pics of rock gardens or whatever I want, but I'm not sure that it actually adds anything over just doing a Google image search for the keyword with picture size set to large, which seems like the cleanest way to do this now that I think of it. That's kinda funny.

Search instagram hashtags to find accounts to follow that post the content you want and you should be good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it relatively common to receive a job offer, start work, and still not have a job contract after the first week (in the UK)? I've been assured I'll get it on Monday. I have a feeling it's because they didn't actually have a position, but took me on, so they're just figuring out exactly what my role will be. I'm curious as I want to know exactly what it is they'll put down, and how similar it'll be to what was offered. I'm not worried about them pulling a fast one on me. I'm more worried that they'll drastically change my role/responsibilities and I'll be stuck doing things I didn't originally sign up for.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
A good contract won’t define your roles and responsibilities because ideally you will develop and adjust your role as you gain new skills and seniority, and signing a new contract every time something changes is a headache for you and for them. That assumes that it’s not some dead end job of course. My contracts have always said something to the effect of “must abide by the performance management policy and resulting performance agreement and development plans” and contained a link to the policy library where such material is stored.

As for the question of whether you should have a contract yet, I think the answer is that yes you should but I’ve also got no doubt that it isn’t unusual to not have one right away due to internal slowness.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Uh. You're working for a company without any kind of agreement whatsoever? I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's suspicious as hell... I know you're not fond of the UKMT in D&D but there are several lawyers in there who will be able to impart more wisdom than the small questions megathread.

Just make clear you're not a regular/lurker and the usual munchkins won't give you the usual grief about chocolate oranges and monster munch.

Also post tomorrow as I'm guessing said lawyers are currently either on, or recovering from, the lash. It's Friday, after all.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Ask/tell also has a "legal questions" megathread to check. I don't know how many are US vs UK based though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The transit authority where I live has trains with AC electric motors and DC electric motors. They are moving more towards AC because they say the ride is smoother. Having been on both kinds it does seem like the ride really is smoother. What is it about AC that makes it that way?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The AC motor makes an electric field that turns around smoothly and carries corresponding magnets around with that field as it turns.

The DC motor turns a bunch of spaced out electromagnets on and off at just the right timing that corresponding ferrous magnets are pushed forward and then coast over the electromagnets before being pushed again.

With the AC you can vary the output speed easily, just by altering the speed of the field. With the DC you have a floor where it's just not feasible to pulse and coast the motor without it jerking or stalling. As a result, DC motors have an abrupt start where they launch up to that minimum, where AC motors can just take it slow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In the Monty Python sketch where aliens turn people into Scotsmen, everybody strikes this pose:

What is with the arm being held outward like that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm going on a couple very long flights and would like to download a few websites for offline reading. What's the best way to do so? These are very straight-forward and mostly plaintext websites, but with lots of nested links (Chapters). Ideally I'd have these pulled down in a way that I can just drop them into onenote, but a raw stack of files will suffice also.

All my googling leads to exercises to build your own, and while I'd love to develop something on my own I do not have time before I leave to do so!

Thanks in advance!

E: to clarify, I'm looking to recursively scrape through and archive all the links from the table of contents pages

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 8, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

haha gently caress me, turns out there is a function for this: WEEKNUM()

Here I was thinking that this is kind of an oddball request, but Excel has thought of everything:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/weeknum-function-e5c43a03-b4ab-426c-b411-b18c13c75340

(office's help site seems to be working again, if a bit slow for me at least)

edit:

Still not entirely sure this would help you overall, though. You'd still have to go through each data set and move/massage things around. If this is a one-off thing, it's probably quickest to brute force it the way I described earlier.

But that said, the WEEKNUM() function would at least standardize things for you to some sort of "official" week number, rather than just assuming the 1st data point of 2015 is actually in week 1.

I deal with a lot of reporting so use weeknum() a ton on various platforms. Wanted to make sure OP was aware that if the starting day of the week matters to him (for us, Monday - Sunday is a 'week') you can indicate with an argument. =weeknum($A2,2) will start a week on a Monday for instance. Default is Sunday IIRC.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

In the Monty Python sketch where aliens turn people into Scotsmen, everybody strikes this pose:

What is with the arm being held outward like that?

It's not a trope I ever saw in any of their other stuff and I always took it to be their representation of the scotsmen being dragged along by an invisible force.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TraderStav posted:

I deal with a lot of reporting so use weeknum() a ton on various platforms. Wanted to make sure OP was aware that if the starting day of the week matters to him (for us, Monday - Sunday is a 'week') you can indicate with an argument. =weeknum($A2,2) will start a week on a Monday for instance. Default is Sunday IIRC.

Default is locale dependent i think but Sunday in the us yes

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last week or so, Outlook (Office 365 ProPlus version) keeps making me go through the Google authentication flow almost every day. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hooah posted:

For the last week or so, Outlook (Office 365 ProPlus version) keeps making me go through the Google authentication flow almost every day. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Could be related to Microsoft failing to renew a certificate earlier this week? This caused teams and other services to be down all morning one day

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

The AC motor makes an electric field that turns around smoothly and carries corresponding magnets around with that field as it turns.

The DC motor turns a bunch of spaced out electromagnets on and off at just the right timing that corresponding ferrous magnets are pushed forward and then coast over the electromagnets before being pushed again.

With the AC you can vary the output speed easily, just by altering the speed of the field. With the DC you have a floor where it's just not feasible to pulse and coast the motor without it jerking or stalling. As a result, DC motors have an abrupt start where they launch up to that minimum, where AC motors can just take it slow.

Thank you! Are AC motors newer or harder to use or something? When I was trying to figure out the answer to my first question myself I couldn’t see why they wouldn’t have just always used AC instead of DC.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'm going on a couple very long flights and would like to download a few websites for offline reading. What's the best way to do so? These are very straight-forward and mostly plaintext websites, but with lots of nested links (Chapters). Ideally I'd have these pulled down in a way that I can just drop them into onenote, but a raw stack of files will suffice also.

All my googling leads to exercises to build your own, and while I'd love to develop something on my own I do not have time before I leave to do so!

Thanks in advance!

E: to clarify, I'm looking to recursively scrape through and archive all the links from the table of contents pages

Subjunctive helped me out on discord, it all was easily done with wget!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Thank you! Are AC motors newer or harder to use or something? When I was trying to figure out the answer to my first question myself I couldn’t see why they wouldn’t have just always used AC instead of DC.

I don't know the mechanics of it, but AC motors bleed a lot of energy for some reason compared to DC motors. There's probably more to it than that, though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
During the Super Bowl halftime show right before (or maybe after) Shakira sings Empire there is a guitar riff from a rock song. I can hear the song in my head but can’t remember the words or who sings it. Pretty sure it’s from the 70s or 80s. Anybody know what I’m talking about?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

During the Super Bowl halftime show right before (or maybe after) Shakira sings Empire there is a guitar riff from a rock song. I can hear the song in my head but can’t remember the words or who sings it. Pretty sure it’s from the 70s or 80s. Anybody know what I’m talking about?

99% certain that is Kashmir, by Led Zeppelin.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Probably Kashmir by Led Zeppelin

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

TraderStav posted:

99% certain that is Kashmir, by Led Zeppelin.

Exactly what it is, thanks! Absolutely hated that song as a kid. Freaked the poo poo out of me and they’d play it on the radio station the morning show I liked was on in the morning.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

DC motors are a lot simpler/cheaper. AC motors probably only recently got cost effective for them.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Beat place to ask for help on ArcMap/ArcGis?

I would have thought stack exchange gis but oddly there’s a lot missing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Beat place to ask for help on ArcMap/ArcGis?

I would have thought stack exchange gis but oddly there’s a lot missing.

This isn't a bad place to ask questions to be honest. The geoscientists thread in SAL is probably another one, lots of people over there make maps on the regular.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223185

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Why does this seem to be the era of fantastic comedy shows but terrible comedy movies?

Or does it just feel that way after watching Dinner for Schmucks

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Movies are a pretty significant investment of capital, so they have incentive to play it safe. However, studies have shown that people find things funniest when they are closest to their personal line of too inappropriate for a joke. Shows being leaner can afford to alienate more people and will thus tend to be funnier.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CrazySalamander posted:

Movies are a pretty significant investment of capital, so they have incentive to play it safe. However, studies have shown that people find things funniest when they are closest to their personal line of too inappropriate for a joke. Shows being leaner can afford to alienate more people and will thus tend to be funnier.

Can you link to these studies? I've never seen the appeal of offensive humor and want to know how badly I'm in the minority.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

In the Cricket 19 game, there's a song sung by a male and the chorus sounds like "It's all your fault". Who sings this?! (I know there's a way to see all the songs on the game but I don't own it and don't have access; I just happened to be present while someone else was playing)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

Why does this seem to be the era of fantastic comedy shows but terrible comedy movies?

Or does it just feel that way after watching Dinner for Schmucks

Knives Out andDolemite is my Name were both quite good.

I think things will get better as the Boomers die off.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How come you never (or just very rarely) see lightning during a snow storm?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

How come you never (or just very rarely) see lightning during a snow storm?

Thunderstorms require a lot of vertical motion in the atmosphere, which is usually tough to come by in cold-weather storms. Roughly speaking, thunderstorms are driven by the difference in temperature between the ground and the upper atmosphere, which in cold weather generally isn’t big enough.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Thanatosian posted:

Knives Out andDolemite is my Name were both quite good.

I think things will get better as the Boomers die off.

I completely spaced on Dolemite and yes, it was really funny (and heart-warming!) I was sad that no one I asked had seen it.

I'll definitely check out Knives, thanks!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Are there any good android apps for managing a road trip? I'm planning one from MI to FL in a few months and while I can plan a route on google maps, it doesn't seem to let me save that route and restore it and iterate on it, etc. I'd like something that can do on the spot searches for nearby amenities and so forth. I'm not really sure what features are really worth having for a lengthy road trip, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Are there any good android apps for managing a road trip? I'm planning one from MI to FL in a few months and while I can plan a route on google maps, it doesn't seem to let me save that route and restore it and iterate on it, etc. I'd like something that can do on the spot searches for nearby amenities and so forth. I'm not really sure what features are really worth having for a lengthy road trip, to be honest.

I’ve heard good things about this: https://roadtrippers.com/