Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Remember, you’re looking for BREAD, in that order:

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Aggro
Dregs (which don’t actually happen in expeditions.)

It was just said, but you can get a lot of mileage in expeditions by drafting good stuff and playing on curve. Don’t stress about trying to put together a deck with constructed quality synergies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Going heavy Hecarim themed does pretty well also.

Also a tip for those of you trying to stack up on heroes, if you force mono colour, then chances are that you will be given the opportunity to switch out your off-colour hero to your main colour straight away. This makes it easy to get 3 of the same hero early without needing to wait for the 7 wins to switch them out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really am bad at this. No matter how much I play or what deck I use I can't seem to level in ranked beyond Silver IV. I've tried Elites (my first deck), Fiora with and without Shen, and now a Heimer control deck, with and without Ezreal. A few times I've managed to get one win into Silver III, but then I immediately lose enough to get knocked back down. From the beginning I kind of refused to make yet another Spider, Elusive, or Mistwraith deck. Is that what it's gonna take?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
You can try control.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Boxman posted:

Remember, you’re looking for BREAD, in that order:

Bombs
Removal
Evasion
Aggro
Dregs (which don’t actually happen in expeditions.)
Can you elaborate on this? Removal and aggro I think I get, I assume evasion is buffs and heals? What are bombs and how do they differ from removal?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Pilchenstein posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Removal and aggro I think I get, I assume evasion is buffs and heals? What are bombs and how do they differ from removal?

Okay so the break down is this. Bombs are things that on their own will win you the game unanswered. Commander Ledros is the best example but he’s at the extreme high end of Bombs. Tryndamere Anivia and Battle fury are also bombs so on and so forth.

Removal is yeah obvious, cards that remove things from the game. Evasion means creatures that are hard to block or remove, so literally Evasion cards but also Fearsome and Last Breath. Aggro is cheap aggressively statted creatures.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

How important is it to draft for a curve?
I've only drafted like 4 times but my take is that while it's not as important as in HS or MTG since there's spell mana, you still want some early and midrange allies to apply pressure and not be stuck with a bunch of late game bombs.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay so the break down is this. Bombs are things that on their own will win you the game unanswered. Commander Ledros is the best example but he’s at the extreme high end of Bombs. Tryndamere Anivia and Battle fury are also bombs so on and so forth.

Removal is yeah obvious, cards that remove things from the game. Evasion means creatures that are hard to block or remove, so literally Evasion cards but also Fearsome and Last Breath. Aggro is cheap aggressively statted creatures.
And dregs is anything that doesn't fit in the first four categories. Nice one, thanks for explaining that to me :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Imagined posted:

I really am bad at this. No matter how much I play or what deck I use I can't seem to level in ranked beyond Silver IV. I've tried Elites (my first deck), Fiora with and without Shen, and now a Heimer control deck, with and without Ezreal. A few times I've managed to get one win into Silver III, but then I immediately lose enough to get knocked back down. From the beginning I kind of refused to make yet another Spider, Elusive, or Mistwraith deck. Is that what it's gonna take?

I used to be rear end and would lost almost all of my games, then I started watching Swim and got hooked to his videos cause it's fun to watch on 2x speed. I learned a lot, you pick up so much on how enemy decks play, and he'll walk you through common issues and things you need to keep an eye out for. I also learnt quite a few neat tricks. Now I'm 50/50 split between actually playing the game and just watching him play. I'm Bronze atm but win 90% of my games, even when I regularly cock up.#

Expedition advice and BREAD was great, thanks for the help. I didn't understand the mono chrome thing for getting 3 champs.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Imagined posted:

Fiora starts to drop off in efficacy as you climb into and out of Silver, because the number of Shadow Isles decks running lots of hard removal goes up exponentially. Any deck that essentially requires a single thing to stay alive in order to win will always be vulnerable to just getting bombarded with removal options, and a lot of Fiora decks play that way. If you're not already running Greenglade Caretaker, do so, and if you think you can power her up enough to chonk through the enemy board and win, you can use Fiora as a reliable distraction (since she will, without fail, draw all of the hatred in any matchup against pubs on the ladder). I'd probably just abandon Judgment and the OTK trick now that you're out of the bottom tiers, assuming you're still operating with that. Cards like Redoubled Valor and Stand Alone that don't always make the cut in Fiora decks are now decent includes imo, and if you hold Deny for Vengeance you can get her off the ground that way, as well.

Heimer I can't speak on except purely in hypotheticals, so I won't waste your time.

What I can tell you is: Lucian/Thresh has been a lot of free wins in Gold so far, and I played literally only discard aggro until I got to that point on this account, so both of those concepts can lift you out of the deluge of netdecked aggro garbage present in Silver/low Gold. Yasuo thrives in the current meta environment and I'm finally starting to see more tempo/mid-range shells running him on both accounts, which makes me sad because I felt like a cool kid sprinting to Platinum with a Yasuo deck. I'm debating whether or not to also try something out of Freljord and either Demacia or Noxus (just to vary up my factions somewhat) and play Ashe only with maximum Frostbite control and a bunch of Challengers, which isn't groundbreaking but has some interesting deck tech you can fiddle with (like, Babbling Bjerg can read "draw Ashe" if you build the deck the way I have, which is neat in the absence of any other way to tutor her out besides Entreat, which I hate). I think that deck has the legs to escape Silver. Vlad/Braum tempo seems like a solid way to break out of Silver, too. Mono-SI Hecarim and Ezreal wombo combo decks are both proven winners at decent levels of Ranked, as well.

tl;dr I don't think you're locked in to spiders/wraiths/Elusives to climb, and in fact because everyone is already running those decks if you choose to tech in to those shells you'll probably reduce your win rate to something perilously close to 50/50, because the entire game will be decided on draws. I fully expect Lucian/Thresh to drop like a stone once I'm in Platinum on this account, but for now where control decks are far less common it's running roughshod on a bunch of MOBALYTICS DOT GEE GEE -> SEARCH FOR BEST DECKS LOL level strats.

P.S. since there aren't any rewards announced for reaching any specific level of Ranked yet (are there?) I would also just have fun doing whatever you want. Platinum was such a snoozefest that I made a second account, and I kinda regret doing so. I should've just played normals instead of worrying about trying to generate e-cred. If you get stonewalled by garbage that isn't fun to play against win or lose, just stop for now and play drafts or unranked against friends and randos.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Chernabog posted:

I've only drafted like 4 times but my take is that while it's not as important as in HS or MTG since there's spell mana, you still want some early and midrange allies to apply pressure and not be stuck with a bunch of late game bombs.
I'm finding it very hard to build a good expedition deck with any kind of mana curve in it. I either get stomped for having a bunch of random units that don't do anything useful or for not being able to play anything at all for the first 2-3 turns :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Is there a goon Discord for this?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

not that I know of, but probably should be

as a counterpoint to the other comments on the curve thing in expeditions, I absolutely attempt to draft a solid curve, mostly around 2-3-4 with a decent number of 5+ depending on the deck/champs/game plan. I won't worry about it that much early on, just prioritize the strongest cards/potential at first and I'll definitely go off curve for like, a big tempo play or something else difficult to answer, but in the latter half of the draft portion or on my swaps I try to smooth it out as best I can. I also tend to hard mull for early plays, if I don't see a solid 1/2 drop I'll try to at least have a big turn 3 in my opening hand, ideally a creature and suitable spell, either removal or something to protect it. This definitely depends on what you're up against, but generally I see a lot of aggressive lists in expedition, so I feel it's pretty important to be able to do something on board as consistently as possible.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

guts and bolts posted:

Sorta? There's Silversquid which is the established league discord and we talk about runeterra in there a fair amount, but no dedicated LoR server yet afaik

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Serious talk: how can you permanently deal with Commander Ledros right now? Even if you Deny his skill (GL if you're not playing Ionia) you're still looking at an 8/6 you can't chump block sitting on the board that you can't kill or recall without giving your opponent the opportunity to cut your life in half (rounded up!) again next turn, and the turn after that, and the turn after that. Not to mention anyone playing this guy is going to have at least three different ways to sac and recall him themselves. What the ever loving gently caress! I feel like if they nerfed him to remove the "return to your hand" ability he'd be alright, but as it is there really isn't way to deal with him unless you can somehow outrace him like mad.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 9, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Imagined posted:

Serious talk: how can you permanently deal with Commander Ledros right now? Even if you Deny his skill (GL if you're not playing Ionia) you're still looking at an 8/6 you can't chump block sitting on the board that you can't kill or recall without giving your opponent the opportunity to cut your life in half (rounded up!) again next turn, and the turn after that, and the turn after that. Not to mention anyone playing this guy is going to have at least three different ways to sac and recall him themselves. What the ever loving gently caress! I feel like if they nerfed him to remove the "return to your hand" ability he'd be alright, but as it is there really isn't way to deal with him unless you can somehow outrace him like mad.

frostbite into she who wanders is probably the only permanent way with detain next along

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Imagined posted:

As you climb up you're gonna start noticing a couple of control-oriented decks will try to find room for stuff like Purify or the Demacia unit that Purifies if played after a spell cast, and I gotta be honest, I think Ledros is the reason why. Your options for dealing with Ledros are essentially as follows:
  • Find a way to blank his card text.
  • Put him under arrest with Detain.
  • Get him with She Who Wanders.
And that's it! That's the list. It's a poo poo sandwich to be sure, so the safest bet is to just put the game out of reach before they hit round 8, except for a huge swath of decks this is actually super difficult, so, yeah. Blanking him requires specific deck tech and not a lot of people have caught on as to how powerful Purify actually is in this game, and even if you run it you essentially have to hope you have the blanking option before Ledros ruins your game, and that can be tough in and of itself. Ledros is probably going into my Lucian/Thresh deck instead of Cithria at some point just so I can experiment with the idea because I got lucky and pulled 2, so I don't have anything to lose in trying it out.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I dunno, Ledros is kinda nuts but I feel like if you're not close to a win by the time he shows up the odds were probably against you anyway.

Edit: I do think they should round the damage dealt down and not up though :v:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

when i made my first deck i used ledros in place of rhasa in whatever list i was using because i had ledros from a pack already, and it only took me a couple of games to realise i should probably just stick with ledros lol

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Pilchenstein posted:

I dunno, Ledros is kinda nuts but I feel like if you're not close to a win by the time he shows up the odds were probably against you anyway.

Agreed. If the game is that far in and you aren’t a turn away from winning or able to deal with Ledford you probably were losing anyway.

Once most people have most cards and we get a settled metagame, Ledros seems like a win more card (at least once people unlock most cards and the meta settles).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Ledros Just Wins Games™. A lot of cards have styles of play you use to play around them, like there are multiple solves for how to contend with Fiora. Bounce her! Frostbite her! Hit her with burn/kill spells! Challenger her with a bigger butt!

Ledros is actually immune to playing around him with, like, strategy. You either brought the specific cards that contend with him or you didn't, and the game is either out of reach for him to close it out (the Ledros player loses) or it isn't (the Ledros player wins). Rhasa is also amazing, don't get me wrong, and he'll totally win you some games and appears a turn sooner. But Rhasa doesn't get to eternally recur if you kill him or anything. Ledros you can play him, Glimpse him (or whatever you have left in your sacrifice tank) after he blocks or attacks, and then next round play him again and it's super gross. Going from 18 to 9 to 4 Nexus HP independent of anything else happening is pretty rough on most decks.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012
Ledros is very strong, but it is very rarely the card that wins me games, outside of putting on a timer while rhasa or hecarim are the finishers

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ledros is alright, but his biggest problem is that he's a really efficient finisher (alongside Rhasa) for an already super efficient deck. Like, if Ledros comes down the turn after a Rhasa, you're probably in a terrible position to block both.

Captain Farrow is probably a better finisher, and Jae is more evasive, but Farrow and Jae aren't in the same faction as a Big Ball of Wraithcallers.

I do think if the game was slower that he'd be a massive problem, but I actually thanks Rhasa is a much bigger problem. Also Wraithcallers.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Studio posted:

Ledros is alright, but his biggest problem is that he's a really efficient finisher (alongside Rhasa) for an already super efficient deck. Like, if Ledros comes down the turn after a Rhasa, you're probably in a terrible position to block both.

Captain Farrow is probably a better finisher, and Jae is more evasive, but Farrow and Jae aren't in the same faction as a Big Ball of Wraithcallers.
Farrow can potentially mess you up in terms of getting to all Decimates in scenarios in which that is not good; Jae really wants to be targeted by buffs but is played in a faction that has virtually none, and is statted worse; Ren Shadowblade is kinda nifty but doesn't affect Champions, and is statted worse; Tianna Crownguard exists and is maybe cool/playable, and is competitively statted so that's good. The issue is that, like everything else Shadow Isles, Ledros has no downside whatsoever. If you Vengeance Tianna, Jae, Farrow, and Ren, they all just die and that's that. Ledros just... cuts your Nexus in half again next turn if you do that. Tellingly, I don't see many-if-any decks in constructed that run any of those other cards, and Ledros comes up quite a bit, so forgive my appeal to the masses but there's that. There's also nothing stopping you from running both Rhasa and Ledros, as you mentioned, since they're same-faction and both come in with game-winner ETB effects.

So yeah. I'm not going to say that Ledros is OP or that playing him assures a win, because plenty of decks can kill you before you reach round 8 or have set up their own sure-kill scenarios (Ezreal/Freljord control with burst damage to the dome, for example), but Ledros puts games away pretty comfortably and there's really no reason not to include him unless you really, really don't foresee reaching round 8 yourself. And with a Last Breath as good as his is, you can safely drop him, attack, let him eat up a big blocker with his 8 power (or just whack 'em for 8), and if he's still alive turn him into a Ravenous Butcher or two more cards and then just drop him again next turn. With how powerful his effect is he should probably cost 10, but instead he's 8, so he gets to do his crazy stuff before Karma or Anivia are leveled up, he comes out before She Who Wanders, he comes out before Brightsteel Formation/Corina Veraza/Minah Swiftfoot and is probably just flatly better than all of those cards except maybe Minah Swiftfoot, and, again, you can't kill him or he just happens again. It's tough!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pilchenstein posted:

And dregs is anything that doesn't fit in the first four categories. Nice one, thanks for explaining that to me :)

"dregs" is more meaningful in Magic drafts, where you're dealing with actual packs that are being passed around. It's literally "whatever everyone else didn't want," whereas here its "whatever doesn't fall into the other categories." But yes shout outs to them for explaining that.

Chernabog posted:

You're right that spell mana gives some insurance there. However, I feel like that's offset by the fact that generally bodies seem a little overstated (compared to those other games), combined with the fact that everyone has the weird pseudo-flash trick of casting a guy after they've used their attack, then immediately swinging.

By the way, are we just calling it "their round" or "your round" to denote whoever has the rally that round? What this game calls "turns" i keep wanting to call priority.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you are attacking, blocked, and use a burst spell, does the enemy get to respond before combat resolves?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
SI just kinda does everything, it's hard to not go into that territory regardless of what type of deck you're trying to build. Maybe it's not suited for hard control, but are people even playing hard control? SI having a bunch of really good cards for most of the game just makes their very good cards feel incredibly BS, I guess.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

kaschei posted:

If you are attacking, blocked, and use a burst spell, does the enemy get to respond before combat resolves?
I don't think so, since burst doesn't count as an action. I stand corrected :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 10, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

kaschei posted:

They do. They can't interrupt your burst, but they get an action window to play stuff if you play anything - they just can't stop or interact with the burst-speed spell in any way. Like, if you Frostbite my blocker, I still get a window where I can do something about the result, I just can't change the result. So if you're thinking "I'll attack, he assigns blockers, then I Flash Freeze and gg that guy dies," no, you can't quite do that. Like, all of that will still happen, but after your Flash Freeze I get to do something.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I want to say burst functions differently in combat versus non-combat?

If combat has started, I cast a burst spell, pass, and my opponent passes, I don't get to take a turn.

If it's the normal turn though, regardless of combat, I can cast a burst spell, pass, my opponent can pass, and then I can take another action (I do this to see if my opponents leave anything open)

Dias posted:

SI just kinda does everything, it's hard to not go into that territory regardless of what type of deck you're trying to build. Maybe it's not suited for hard control, but are people even playing hard control? SI having a bunch of really good cards for most of the game just makes their very good cards feel incredibly BS, I guess.

There is! It's paired with Frejlord.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
It's not "hard control" but I've had a good winrate into Diamond with Heimerdinger/Ezreal+freezes. It's a legitimately good deck that has game vs aggro/elusives/mono-SI and really dumps on anything slow. Definitely not simple to play, however..

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Studio posted:

I want to say burst functions differently in combat versus non-combat?

If combat has started, I cast a burst spell, pass, and my opponent passes, I don't get to take a turn.

If it's the normal turn though, regardless of combat, I can cast a burst spell, pass, my opponent can pass, and then I can take another action (I do this to see if my opponents leave anything open)
I think the question was "can I do stuff on the play such that the opponent cannot play any cards" - right, like, I'm attacking, you assign blockers, I burst and then combat immediately resolves after my Burst. That doesn't happen ever; the rule is pretty easy to internalize as "if I play a card, he will get a chance to play a card no matter what."

e:
The way it actually happens is:
I attack, then click the button.
You assign blockers, then click the button.
I play any number of things at any spell speed besides Slow (which can't be cast until combat resolves), then click the button.
Everything that was played at Burst speed immediately resolves.
You get to play your own cards that interact with anything left that was at Fast speed, or you can just throw your own Fast/Burst spells into the stack, then click the button.
Everything that was played at Burst speed immediately resolves.
I have nothing left to do so I click the button.
Now everything else resolves, going left-to-right on the spell stack and then left-to-right on the combat board.

Basically, if you're on the play, the opponent gets to do stuff until you click the button having not changed the game state in any way. If you pass having done nothing everything resolves. The defender can't play stuff, you pass, then they get to play more stuff, for example, nor can the attacker. This is important because if you all-in and are waiting to play a critical battle trick to get to lethal, you need to queue up that battle trick before I assign blockers or I can just click the button and everything will resolve, as I did not change the board state and you just had your turn to do stuff.

I think I'm doing a bad job of explaining it for the person who asked originally but it's pretty intuitive to understand just by playing the game.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 10, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm running fearsome wraithcallers because it's bullshit and getting me out of gold. I'll say while Rhasa wins me games fairly regularly, I barely ever get to Ledros because I've won before round 8 or I need too much mana for spells to be able to risk dropping him. I do think he'd be fine if they took off any ONE of his keywords or raised his mana cost or his damage skill rounded down. He's a little stupid for a region as strong as SI is currently.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

I think the question was "can I do stuff on the play such that the opponent cannot play any cards" - right, like, I'm attacking, you assign blockers, I burst and then combat immediately resolves after my burst. That doesn't happen ever; the rule is pretty easy to internalize as "if I play a card, he will get a chance to play a card no matter what."

Yup. The weirdness comes from "WIll I be able to play a card after they pass," which doesn't occur in combat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Studio posted:

There is! It's paired with Frejlord.

People are playing a slow-ish midrange Blue/Red (gently caress if I remember all the names for the regions) deck, it actually looks kinda cool. Control is one of those things I thought I enjoyed playing then realized I actually like having controlling THE BOARD.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

King Pawn posted:

It's not "hard control" but I've had a good winrate into Diamond with Heimerdinger/Ezreal+freezes. It's a legitimately good deck that has game vs aggro/elusives/mono-SI and really dumps on anything slow. Definitely not simple to play, however..

mistaya posted:

I'm running fearsome wraithcallers because it's bullshit and getting me out of gold. I'll say while Rhasa wins me games fairly regularly, I barely ever get to Ledros because I've won before round 8 or I need too much mana for spells to be able to risk dropping him. I do think he'd be fine if they took off any ONE of his keywords or raised his mana cost or his damage skill rounded down. He's a little stupid for a region as strong as SI is currently.
I should probably at least try for Diamond, I'm just frustrated with the slog of how Platinum has been going. I was able to reliably just race up through the ranks until now, and now it's becoming Shadow Isles everywhere. Mistwraiths/Spiders aggro/Hecarim Ephemeral aggro mixed in with occasional splashes of Yasuo tempo/control concepts is basically my idea of Hell while trying to rank up, but once the second account also makes Platinum I basically won't have any excuse not to do it. I think I'm gonna build one last deck before I commit to hardcore ranking up, and I'm pretty sure it'll be Ashe/Demacian Challengers or some variation on Xixo's Ashe/Noxus control. Then I'll go back into the muck. :smith:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

guts and bolts posted:

I should probably at least try for Diamond, I'm just frustrated with the slog of how Platinum has been going. I was able to reliably just race up through the ranks until now, and now it's becoming Shadow Isles everywhere. Mistwraiths/Spiders aggro/Hecarim Ephemeral aggro mixed in with occasional splashes of Yasuo tempo/control concepts is basically my idea of Hell while trying to rank up, but once the second account also makes Platinum I basically won't have any excuse not to do it. I think I'm gonna build one last deck before I commit to hardcore ranking up, and I'm pretty sure it'll be Ashe/Demacian Challengers or some variation on Xixo's Ashe/Noxus control. Then I'll go back into the muck. :smith:

Yeah I feel you. I've said it before but the problem with SI is that the best counter to SI's spells ARE SI spells, so it's really hard to justify playing anything else right now. I've heard Fiora is gaining steam, though I don't have Demacia filled out enough to run her yet even if I had the champ cards.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The Rumor is that there will be a balance patch this week. Which makes sense, they had the minor patch last week, now comes the major, and the major should continue every 2 weeks through beta or until further announced.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yo has anyone done some dumb sipz control with like heimer & a bunch of solid removal and a few bustedass si cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Studio posted:

The Rumor is that there will be a balance patch this week. Which makes sense, they had the minor patch last week, now comes the major, and the major should continue every 2 weeks through beta or until further announced.

What?

Didn't they say on the 4th that they'll patch every other Tuesday? And that every other patch will be a big one. My understanding is that they'll do a big patch on the 18th, and then a small patch on the 3rd, etc. The most recent patch was where they announced this whole new patch schema.

The rumor is that they're already going to do an out of band patch? Yeesh. That's concerning.

Riot posted:

Finally, patch size and content. For now, we’re switching off between large patches and small patches with each release, with 0.8.3 being a small one and 0.9.0 in two weeks being a large one. The biggest difference between small and large patches will be balance and major card updates—generally, we’ll consolidate those in the once-per-month large patches.