Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Next you'll be telling me that a black trench coat doesn't make me look cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

What are feelings about sunglasses worn indoors?
Because I hate that poo poo, it ain't bright in here, quit being a freak.
Unless I'm going to be in the shop for a particularly long time I'm not going to bother bringing my regular glasses, so if I take off my sunglasses I can't see properly.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Andrast posted:

Next you'll be telling me that a black trench coat doesn't make me look cool

Only if you've got shades on :cool:.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I saw some dumbass last night on the s-train, he was wearing two hoodies and a jacket, round sunglasses and a floppy beanie.

He looked like an edgy character from a 90s movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Unless I'm going to be in the shop for a particularly long time I'm not going to bother bringing my regular glasses, so if I take off my sunglasses I can't see properly.

Counterpoint: I don't bring my regular glasses to the supermarket, I take off my sunglasses and squint a bit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

I haaaaaate these, doubly so if they're used by boomers sussing out the secret satanic meanings behind whatever teenagers like these days.

I keep seeing one that's "Did you know "hospital" stands for "house of sick people in trauma and labor"?" and it infuriates me. For one thing, no. For another thing, that's one of the clunkiest things I've ever read.

I always explain to these people if you see someone telling you that a word is an acronym, and that word is from before WWII, they're wrong, wrong, wrong. Acronyms weren't really a thing until RADAR.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish the FoMoCo style of abbreviation would come back in vogue.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This conversation reminds me of those weirdos who wear hoodies with their hoods up at the gym. Stop!

Peeve I came here for: being back home and all the southern fried small talk everyone has to constantly do.

At the grocery store nearest my mom's just now, I literally got stuck behind some giant clan just chatting in the entryway, nudged past them, got all my poo poo, checked out, and had to loving nudge past them again as they were finally actually entering the goddam store.

"polite" isn't this bullshit, it's a shitfaced stranger yelling "get the hell out of the loving way" and then you move and remember it and stop bothering people and everyone mutually likes each other more for it, and society continues to function.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Feb 8, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Memento posted:

Counterpoint: I don't bring my regular glasses to the supermarket, I take off my sunglasses and squint a bit.

Countercounterpoint: I just wait for my transition lenses to go clear. Then remember I don't have transition lenses on my current glasses, these are my actual sunglasses and I left my normal glasses in the car. Thankfully, I'm short sighted, so don't really need to squint.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Butt Detective posted:

Customers that walk around the store with their hoods up. Worst case scenario I'm going to think you're up to no good and planning to shoplift, best case scenario I'm going to assume you're insecure and don't want people to look at you. You don't need your hood up indoors you weirdos

My daughter keeps her hood up all the time. For her, it's because she's autistic and it makes her feel safe. If she doesn't have a hood up, she wears a trilby with a flower in it. She always has to have her head covered.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Funnily enough I feel less safe wearing a hood because it blocks my peripheral vision

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Negostrike posted:

Funnily enough I feel less safe wearing a hood because it blocks my peripheral vision

Yeah I look around like a meerkat so hoods drive me nuts

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah, I didn't want to be that guy but wearing sunglasses indoors can also be an autism thing.

Similarly to the hood thing, I know people who say they feel safer/saner on transit with their headphones in so they can't hear any of the poo poo anyone else is talking about, but I'm the opposite, I can read or play video games but I need to be able to hear around me to feel I won't miss any threats that may appear

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
What if the people with their hoods up are just cold?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dip Viscous posted:

What if the people with their hoods up are just cold?

So far I saw people here complaining about people wearing them indoors, where there's no wind or rain usually.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hoods are great. Lots of my friends wear hoods.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

My pet peeve is youtube started filling my suggested videos with fox news and other random american news sources. This is despite the fact that I have never once watched anything even close to fox or any american news source on youtube because I'm not american. I keep telling it I'm not interested in them and they just keep coming back! jfc I hate this poo poo so loving much. Why can't I just tell youtube I'm not interested in any of this dog poo poo?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Debunk This! posted:

My pet peeve is youtube started filling my suggested videos with fox news and other random american news sources. This is despite the fact that I have never once watched anything even close to fox or any american news source on youtube because I'm not american. I keep telling it I'm not interested in them and they just keep coming back! jfc I hate this poo poo so loving much. Why can't I just tell youtube I'm not interested in any of this dog poo poo?

The youtube algorithm was created to indoctrinate teenagers into radical right wing American politics. Every account ends up at the same precipice as yours, and there is no backing away from the edge, just staring into the abyss of fascism until you're compelled to jump.

Just start a new account.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Riatsala posted:

The youtube algorithm was created to indoctrinate teenagers into radical right wing American politics. Every account ends up at the same precipice as yours, and there is no backing away from the edge, just staring into the abyss of fascism until you're compelled to jump.

Just start a new account.

:what: This seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Go to your YouTube history and delete it, and while you're there tell it not to remember your searches or watch history, and it should stop. Sometimes it gets latched onto tangentially-related topics and just won't quit until you watch enough of some other thing for it to get latched onto showing you that instead, or manually tell it to cut it out. Also, it shows you recommendations based on the video you're currently watching and its tags including where the creator is based, so if you're watching a lot of american creators it doesn't really matter what the videos are about, it'll assume you're interested in american topics. Because it's stupid and completely useless, as all content provider algorithms are. Hence, disabling watch history so it stops doing that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Feb 10, 2020

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

If you typed Fox News you can be sure you'll have Fox News advertisements and recommendations for years to come.

Same if you even say "Fox News" aloud close to your phone.

:tinfoil:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

Hoods are great. Lots of my friends wear hoods.

More like oldunpentientless.

Cos this is a Spanish Catholic thing, right?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

CJacobs posted:

:what: This seems like a bit of an overreaction.

Go to your YouTube history and delete it, and while you're there tell it not to remember your searches or watch history, and it should stop. Sometimes it gets latched onto tangentially-related topics and just won't quit until you watch enough of some other thing for it to get latched onto showing you that instead, or manually tell it to cut it out. Also, it shows you recommendations based on the video you're currently watching and its tags including where the creator is based, so if you're watching a lot of american creators it doesn't really matter what the videos are about, it'll assume you're interested in american topics. Because it's stupid and completely useless, as all content provider algorithms are. Hence, disabling watch history so it stops doing that.

I'll try this thanks. I should also mention fox is at least mixed in with a bunch of other stuff so its not just the right wing bs, thats just what pisses me off the most. I've also been getting videos in all sorts of foreign language like chinese, tagalog and spanish so it just seems like the algorithm poo poo itself and has no god drat clue what content I'm interested in.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Negostrike posted:

So far I saw people here complaining about people wearing them indoors, where there's no wind or rain usually.

You don't know at least one weirdo that's "always cold" even if they're indoors and it's 78F?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I recommend a TV show to someone and they ask "What channel is it on?" like as though it's the loving nineties. I don't know! I don't even know if it's on any channel in Australia or ever has been! It's on BitTorrent. Everything is on BitTorrent. Every TV show and movie you could ever want to watch, whenever you want to watch them, for no money and with no ads. Why are you hurting yourself?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Contrary to popular belief, it isn't normal to do things that are illegal just to save money

edit: And that's not even to say I'm anti piracy or whatever. It's just extremely normal to pay for things because there's 0% chance of getting in trouble and it requires no technical aptitude.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You absolutely should though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

You absolutely should though

Okay, come teach my grandparents how to use bittorrent and how to spot which downloads won't give them malware

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's on you :colbert:

I taught my parents to pirate and that went fine.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tiggum posted:

Same here. I mean, I can squint and have no problem reading labels, but it's annoying.

Larry David once said that there's only two kinds of people who wear sunglasses indoors: blind people and assholes. In my case, I'm somewhere between the two.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Contrary to popular belief, it isn't normal to do things that are illegal just to save money

It is if you're not a complete wiener :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This conversation reminds me of those weirdos who wear hoodies with their hoods up at the gym. Stop!

Peeve I came here for: being back home and all the southern fried small talk everyone has to constantly do.

At the grocery store nearest my mom's just now, I literally got stuck behind some giant clan just chatting in the entryway, nudged past them, got all my poo poo, checked out, and had to loving nudge past them again as they were finally actually entering the goddam store.

"polite" isn't this bullshit, it's a shitfaced stranger yelling "get the hell out of the loving way" and then you move and remember it and stop bothering people and everyone mutually likes each other more for it, and society continues to function.

lol last week I was walking into my office with some coworkers and there were three ladies standing directly in front of the doors to the building, one moreso than others. People were walking around her to go into the building and one of the girls says to her "hey we should move over here, we're blocking the doorway" and the one in front of the door goes "well drat nobody said excuse me"

No one should have to, idiot. Your spacial awareness should tell you you're in the loving way.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol last week I was walking into my office with some coworkers and there were three ladies standing directly in front of the doors to the building, one moreso than others. People were walking around her to go into the building and one of the girls says to her "hey we should move over here, we're blocking the doorway" and the one in front of the door goes "well drat nobody said excuse me"

No one should have to, idiot. Your spacial awareness should tell you you're in the loving way.

I used to work university special events and it's a huge problem. Attendants walk in, check in at the registration table, then stand there in the way. They get a cocktail, then stand right in front of the serving table to talk to someone. They hold entire conversations in doorways. And they do not like being herded, good lordy do they not like being herded. The only advantage I had was being a man, upper class society respects young men, it views young women as little more than part of the decor.

Same goes for grocery stores. Lemme just park my cart sideways across the entire width of the aisle while I silently deliberate between two identical brands of canned beans with all the intensity of Indiana Jones picking out the holy grail

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Riatsala posted:

I used to work university special events and it's a huge problem. Attendants walk in, check in at the registration table, then stand there in the way. They get a cocktail, then stand right in front of the serving table to talk to someone. They hold entire conversations in doorways. And they do not like being herded, good lordy do they not like being herded. The only advantage I had was being a man, upper class society respects young men, it views young women as little more than part of the decor.

Same goes for grocery stores. Lemme just park my cart sideways across the entire width of the aisle while I silently deliberate between two identical brands of canned beans with all the intensity of Indiana Jones picking out the holy grail

Same thing back when I used to bartend. A 150 person wedding would have like, 30 people just crowd around the bar, standing, and I'd have to shove through people just to get a proper line formed, and to make room when I had to go and pick up empties. Also made serving annoying because I'd see 10 people resting right against the bar (wasn't a big bar), and I'd wonder if there's someone in line for a drink or if I have time to take care of something else.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
People who just cannot wait for you to complete a sentence before speaking have been my absolute worst peeve recently. It's nice that the interruption is usually along the lines of "thank you's" or something else that's polite, but holy poo poo. We are not going to get anywhere if I have to stop and reply "you're welcome!" every three digits of a phone number I'm trying to read to you because you cannot hold it for three seconds :argh:

Also, don't interrupt me when I'm answering your question to ask another unrelated question. This is how you miss important information! Just let me finish!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I just keep talking while raising my voice gradually as long as the motherfucker keeps talking over me. I might get to bloodcurdling levels if the person still talking.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hate when I qualify a statement with something like "look I know about xyz but..." and then the whoever I'm talking to retorts with "but have you considered xyz?"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I do this thing in meetings where if people have loud sidebars while I'm talking I just stop and stare at them until they're done, then continue (half the room inevitably joins me). Somehow the realization that they're the only ones in the room speaking is more effective than talking over them, etc, but it only works on people who feel shame i.e. people under 60.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, Podcast ads.
It feels like they're just surging upwards in amount, and a lot of podcasts don't have any way to get ad-free listening.
(Nevermind that having to subscribe to multiple patreons/etc just to get ad-free listening in itself is rather tedious, though I do support some of the podcasts I listen to.)

So many of them have ads at the start, middle and end. And older episodes might have been designed for sponsors instead of ad-based revenue, so you get an additional annoyance in them doing a sponsor and ads on top of it.
(And on top of this, the region-based ads means that it's not unlikely that every single ad will be the same one, played on loop.)
And because the ads are served per-episode, you'll generally get double-barreled with ads whenever you finish an episode and go over to the next one.

I just really wish the podcast networks would cooperate and make a system where I can just shove a couple dollars a month into my podcast app, and have it distributed to the podcasts I listen to, while making them ad-free.
I imagine the average person wouldn't have to pay a whole lot to make up for the tiny fractions of a dollar they generate in ad revenue per episode listen.
(Take a chunk of it for processing, split the rest 50/50 on episodes listened to, and listen time. (So that it's not too unbalanced in regards to podcasts with shorter episodes vs longer ones.))

Wouldn't hurt if they rolled in the ability to tip and get supporter rewards like on patreon through the same system either, letting them sidestep pat--'getting a 5% cut for doing nothing except basic hosting is not sustainable for us because we've accepted millions in venture capital'--reon entirely.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I listened to a comedian's podcast the other day where he had pre-roll ads, a read at ten minutes, and another one at twenty. He might have done more but that's when I tapped out, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This is why I Dont Even Own A Television, the F Plus, and Extra Credit are the only podcasts I listen to these days. I get my laughs at weird poo poo without anyone trying to sell me stamps or dildos. IDEOTV plugs their Patreon once an episode but that’s like twenty seconds of a 90 minute podcast.