Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have a simpler plan.

Step 1) get a job earning 6 figures.

I just solved poverty, suck it libs.

Trite solutions are so easy once you ignore any odd the underlying issues that make them problems in the first place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Poverty is easily solved by making more money

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
1) Seize the means of production

2) Eat the rich

3) Get married as an adult

4) Then have a child

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Just lift yourself up by your bootstraps, a phrase meaning its impossible to uplift yourself legally but, hey, once you control the law anything goes, so may the best pirate win.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

No, it's because nothing about them is feminist and it's wrong to refer to them that way. "FART" is "feminism-appropriating reactionary transphobe", which is both accurate and fun to say.

And I'll be honest, as a trans person I'm not willing to be lectured on exercising :decorum: toward people who want me to stop loving existing.

"We can't police who gets to be LGBTQ+ so now we're gonna police how those people talk about the people who want to kill them" jesus christ

I am trans, FYI. And I've had conversations about this in real life, so I've kinda 'field-tested' FART and it's honestly kind of annoying. It has that 'in-joke' stench where the people saying it just feel really smart for saying it, but there's always someone who feels the need to explain it and it never gets the positive reaction they want it to.

It's not a decorum thing; rip them to shreds. But they do that themselves when you call them terfs, and I think that's way more entertaining than sounding like eight year olds.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Never forget AV Club's Scott Walker article

https://news.avclub.com/bear-witness-to-the-crushing-ennui-of-scott-walker-s-in-1798264004

quote:

Thanks to Wired’s Ashley Feinberg, the true existential horror of modern consumer life has been brought to light, and it is contained within the images found in the social media feed of Wisconsin’s second blandest gift to the world, after the BoDeans. In a lengthy exposé, Feinberg gets at the heart of Walker’s tragic pictures:

quote:

What makes his photos so simultaneously compelling and unnerving is that, for the most part, they feature everything you expect of an Instagram account. He photographs food. He photographs “events.” He photographs presumably enjoyable activities. And yet, Governor Walker insists on focusing on the least appealing part of his experience every single time.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1226609225654161409?s=20

Liked by AOC. Well gently caress.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/misandrism/status/1225865019864170496

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/SBANYPD/status/1226622830244171781?s=20

Police declares war on mayor. Nothing to see here.

Eschenique has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Feb 9, 2020

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

bell jar posted:

FART sounds like it was invented by someone who is too online

It's the Drumpf of Terfdom

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Eschenique posted:

So for a non American goon who doesn't know the backstory, what's going on here?

Y'all country is wild.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

For the umpteenth time AOC is cancelled

Fortunately she always does something to make up for it by the following week

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

So for a non American goon who doesn't know the backstory, what's going on here?

Y'all country is wild.

You spelt broken wrong.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Breetai posted:

Y'all country is wild.

blue live matter bullshit.

Also crime in NYC still has an overall down trend even though that poo poo org keeps hyping up the first few weeks of spring/summer as "see look at the death ang squads liberals have made!"

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Breetai posted:

Y'all country is wild.

Basically a center left mayor said hey maybe cops should be nicer and think before they act. So of course this means he wants dead cops.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

Hello as a professional genderologist I can say that all the people making exclusionary arguments are not only wrong, but ultimately reproducing structures of hetrosexual acceptability and propriety into queer identities which are fundamentally incompatible with it. Excluding sexuality you don't understand is exactly how we come to queer spaces, and to pretend that there's a horde of cishet people trying to steal ~gay valor~ is the worst form of queer nationalism.

In conclusion, Tumblr was the scrawled bathroom wall of gender studies, and exclusionists are the alligators inside the toilets who misheard everything said about the walls but still thinks they're a fully qualified Sexuality Mechanic.

I love you, T-man.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mohawk Potato posted:

Basically a center left mayor said hey maybe cops should be nicer and think before they act. So of course this means he wants dead cops.
Yeah but what's the assassination attempt he's talking about?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The one on Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mohawk Potato posted:

The worst part is that ever since he did that in his first year as mayor he’s been sucking up to the cops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he was deployed for a total of seven months as part of naval intelligence and he sat in a shipping container studying terrorist finance networks. when not doing that he drove his commander around in a truck, self-describing as "basically Uber for our unit."

he does have a military record of course but dude is not exactly a hardened commando

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Okay, but that still doesn't explain why you would cut up a cinnamon roll and eat it like a chicken wing

I WANT ANSWERS

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I tear cinnamon buns into little manageable pieces. I don't think I hold them like that, though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RoboRodent posted:

I don't think I hold them like that, though.

Probably because you're not a rodent

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but what's the assassination attempt he's talking about?

Some cops got shot and they think the shooter was targeting cops. So of course since De'Blasio said cops should think, he wanted this shooting to happen cause he dosent respect cops.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Probably because you're not a rodent

I wouldn't be quite so sure of that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does discord count?

quote:

Like for a good example is an artist. We have some artist who thrive and then we have some who can't make a dime because of unrealistic finances.

When I was developing my last board game for example I went to the colleges wanting some art drawn. I had a professor tell me straight up that his students wouldn't even bother for less than 300-400 per piece. I told that professor I could go on reddit and get it done for my asking prices or less and he said basically you can't in any way. So I said a couple hours worth of work and a drawing to potentially get worked published. Needless to say I know way to many people that fall into that trap. I was once told by my college professor to never work for free, that was the dumbest advice I was ever given as an incoming freshman.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kalsco posted:

I wouldn't be quite so sure of that.

Full disclosure: I never even noticed the username :doh:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apprentice Dick posted:

1) Seize the means of production

2) Eat the rich

3) Get married as an adult

4) Then have a child
I tried to do this too fast and ate a child, please help.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I love you, T-man.

ty, also suck it pastrami of the yurt my posting shall be my revenge

Eschenique posted:

I hope they destroy each other, the only moral union busting is police union busting. Everyone but cops gets unions, cops get a taste of what sort of world they're enforcing.

Len posted:

Does discord count?

the worker falls to the level of commodity or however it goes, you can get people to accept extremely low pay for work now with task apps or the grandaddy Amazon Turk. It's amazing how techbros took a story of a fake self-playing chess set that just had a person inside it and somehow made it more hosed up and gross. Even if you go one step up the stability stepladder with temp work it still sucks, I wish it worked the way it does in anime.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I mean, I don't know what the rest of this person's explanation is, but that sounds kinda fair. Sociopathy is a real thing and not all sociopaths are necessarily cruel, they just don't have an awareness other people do.

It's a bit like that tweet that was going around recently of popular media's image of autism against the reality. High-functioning autistic people have trouble identifying other people's emotions, but a bunch of people think that translates to 'doesn't care about other people's feelings' while it more often comes out as 'I can't identify social cues so I'm flying blind and have no idea if I'm being annoying or not so I'll be extra careful'.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/drayzze/status/1226243317391876100

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I don't know what the rest of this person's explanation is, but that sounds kinda fair. Sociopathy is a real thing and not all sociopaths are necessarily cruel, they just don't have an awareness other people do.

It's a bit like that tweet that was going around recently of popular media's image of autism against the reality. High-functioning autistic people have trouble identifying other people's emotions, but a bunch of people think that translates to 'doesn't care about other people's feelings' while it more often comes out as 'I can't identify social cues so I'm flying blind and have no idea if I'm being annoying or not so I'll be extra careful'.

Not only that, but recent studies suggest that autistic people have just as much affective empathy (the ability to respond with an appropriate emotion to someone else's emotional state) as neurotypical people, if not more. It's cognitive empathy that allows people to recognize the emotional states of others, and that's what we tend to be lacking in.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Full disclosure: I never even noticed the username :doh:

:lmao:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Not only that, but recent studies suggest that autistic people have just as much affective empathy (the ability to respond with an appropriate emotion to someone else's emotional state) as neurotypical people, if not more. It's cognitive empathy that allows people to recognize the emotional states of others, and that's what we tend to be lacking in.

Yeah, we're pretty good at responding appropriately, it's just that getting it right in the first place is the hard part.

And largely unrelated, but I remember when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out, autistic people generally did a lot better at that game's 'conversation bosses' where it's a complex dialog tree to sway someone to your side. And it's specifically because they were naturally bad at cognitive empathy, so they were used to having to think a lot more about that than neurotypical players.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/johnlegend/status/1226695525476401152?s=21

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I don't know what the rest of this person's explanation is
https://twitter.com/jaythenerdkid/status/1226540886344888321?s=19

Seems reasonable enough and not idiotic to me.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

https://twitter.com/MillerStream/status/1226694285573132290

He had to clarify that "these" people wasn't referring to Koreans...it was instead referring to (((Hollywood))).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Pththya-lyi posted:

what is it if you lack affective empathy but can do cognitive huh??