Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I doubt he's a uniquely good dancer like Ferdie, but I made him one and the sword avoid skill made him an ace dodge tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I doubt he's a uniquely good dancer like Ferdie, but I made him one and the sword avoid skill made him an ace dodge tank.

I don't doubt it, and it helps that, also unlike Ferdie, he probably hates every single moment of it

I miss Ferdie, I'm on my third run and my self-imposed "stop using the same people" run, cutting most of the beagles and deer. He was an integral part of my team the last two runs. My heart will break when I have to kill him and the rest. Leonie too. And Lysithea. And Bernie :smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is almost certainly going to trigger an E-word derail, but can't be helped.

Beat Crimson Flower. And so the evil overlord defeated the other evil overlord, and the land rejoiced.

I could write a long post detailing my thoughts, but I don't see the point and will just note my biggest reactions.

One, Crimson Flower is far and away the most unique of the stories. The other three all follow roughly the same story beats of clawing their way back from the brink of defeat against the Empire and its allies even if the exact sequence of events is different (in retrospect, the Blue Lions annihilating the Agarthans without ever really realizing they were a thing is hilarious). Crimson Flower is a very different matter, and to be honest, I don't think the writers really knew what to do with it. A Scouring of the Shire to wipe out the Agarthans after killing Rhea would have been a letdown emotionally, but there's also not a whole lot else going on. I'm tempted to blame this as much as the time crunch for why Flower is shorter than the other stories: there's just not as much story to tell if you want to keep the core emotional beats. Not without giving the Agarthans a lot more depth than they have. My gut reaction is that the story might have been better served by either Edelgard and the player straight up losing the battle of Garreg Mach without the Agarthans' help and needing to retreat and renew the fight years later (ala Genealogy of the Holy War), or the Agarthans ousting Edelgard after the battle and forcing her to claw her way back like the other factions do.

Two, there's a lot of cute character beats here. The scene of everyone explaining why exactly they're following Edelgard is something I wish all the routes get, and Edelgard is, I think, specifically calibrated to be catnip for a certain kind of nerd - she's pretty, she's bisexual, she's a dork, she's mad at being dragged to Sunday school.

Three, Edelgard is so full of poo poo it's coming out of her ears. She'll step down and pass power to a worthy successor? Shame her ending (I got Edelgard/Lysithea) explicitly said she ruled for the rest of her life. She'll overthrow the hereditary nobility? Shame half the endings mentioned people inheriting their noble titles and lands, marrying into noble families, etc like nothing changed. And on a more personal note of bias, Edelgard's 'Why do you make me hit you?!' attitude towards the war is really loving uncomfortable to me. She started this war and acts like everyone else is the rear end in a top hat for fighting back against her invasion. Then says that the very fact that they're fighting back against her invasion proves that she was right and justified to invade them. Also, Edelgard would really have me believe that she had no idea Dimitri loved her? Even if the theory that she has PTSD-induced amnesia about her childhood is true, she'd have to be Caspar-level dense to live at the Academy with Dimitri right down the hall for years and not notice - even Byleth picks up on it a month or two after arrival at the academy.

Also, wtf at the effects of Rhea dying on Byleth when that doesn't happen in Silver Snow if she dies.

Results of the love thunderdome and the d12 roll for Byleth's s-rank:

Byleth/Ashe
Edelgard/Lysithea
Hubert/Bernie
Dorothea/Sylvain
Petra/Ashe
Caspar/Linhardt
Manuela/Hanneman
Ferdinand/Marianne
Shamir/Leonie
Lorenz/nobody

tl;dr I don't think Edelgard's ends justify her means, war is bad

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Why would we have an elephant derail

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Cythereal posted:

tl;dr I don't think Edelgard's ends justify her means, war is bad

Obligatory reminder that Rhea is immortal and only willingly hands over power to another immortal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What exactly happens to Byleth after the ending of CF is ambiguous, but also leads to Byleth's best endings because she's human again.

I personally interpret it as the power of Sothis leaving because Byleth did what she wanted. Sothis's language about all sides of time being revealed, about cutting your own path, and her wants you to choose all fit in thematically with Edelgard's route. Sothis can leave having accomplished something, what she wants is ambiguous, but we also know she's still connected to Byleth since you CAN romance Sothis on CF. So Sothis isn't dead. I wish she was more of a presence because I'd love to have a scene of her confronting Rhea. But that's also my take and I think CF is canon for that reason and a lot of others. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CmdrKing posted:

Obligatory reminder that Rhea is immortal and only willingly hands over power to another immortal.

I agree that Rhea is evil. I also believe that Edelgard is evil. They're both tyrants motivated mainly by 'The things that happened to me must never be allowed to happen to anyone else ever again.'

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Every character is intended to appeal to types of fanbases. Felix does the "hand-against-wall-next-to-girl's-head" pose as example. Trying to pick at Edelgard for that seems weird.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CF is canon and Edelgard is right. Also lol no poo poo she doesn’t notice Dimitri she has way more important things to deal with at the time. Edelgard liked dimitri as a person but put nowhere near the importance on him he put on her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dimitri's obsession with edelgard was misguided if you're being charitable and very stupid if you're not

edelgard has little reason to care much about dimitri, or even respect him

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My Felix was never a defensive powerhouse as a War Master, but the shield halved damage reliably enough he could still tank, and he was certainly able to take hits. I'd say more resilient than as an Assassin, but he's more a Caspar warmaster than a Dedue. The real attraction was his insane speed and strength meant he was always hittingx4 with powerful hits, his crit rate was insane, and you had four potential activations of his crest per combat. I think assassin is still a more optimal play, because you can train him in flying to get Alert Stance+ and it doesn't matter where he ends up on enemy phase. (i found this strategy to hold up even on Maddening)

^Oh yeah, if you don't mind not having a dancer, testing Felix into the class for the skill and then combining that with Alert Stance+ is hilariously busted, I did that for my first Maddening run.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dimitri was just a kid edelgard knew once, and then uh, some things happened, that were far more memorable to her, for some reason

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the dlc is soon right

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

the dlc is soon right

The 12th.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i’ve only done blue lions what should I do for a new game after I do the mole house

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Blue lions again but kill every character except Dimitri, like I saw someone do online.

Apparently it makes the story cutscenes very... intense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

order that makes the most sense plotwise imo is dimitri->edelgard->claude->church

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

order that makes the most sense plotwise imo is dimitri->edelgard->claude->church

Switch Dimitri with Edelgard and that was my order. Going from Claude to Church sucked and I really can't recommend doing it that way. Just stop at Claude and read the one line summary of the new info the church route reveals.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are a ton of people that started and only played Claude's route.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

Switch Dimitri with Edelgard and that was my order. Going from Claude to Church sucked and I really can't recommend doing it that way. Just stop at Claude and read the one line summary of the new info the church route reveals.

every route is 90% identical but that order has an actual progression to it in terms of plot revelations

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/bearsketches/status/1159825415814303746?lang=en

:colbert:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I agree that Rhea is evil. I also believe that Edelgard is evil. They're both tyrants motivated mainly by 'The things that happened to me must never be allowed to happen to anyone else ever again.'

and... how do you depose an immortal tyrant without a war?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CmdrKing posted:

and... how do you depose an immortal tyrant without a war?

By convincing her that she's wrong. And unlike Edelgard, that can happen due to very specific circumstances: namely, Sothis talking to her off-screen.

Even then, I'm actually not sure how involved in secular politics the Church actually is after playing all four routes.

Rhea seems to have two central goals:

1. Resurrect mommy
2. Prevent another genocide of her people

With regards to the Crests, we know that the Church didn't actually create the Crest system - Nemesis and the Ten Elites did, and Rhea and company only started saying Crests were a mark of divine blessing after the Elites changed sides to Rhea and later began fighting amongst themselves. Crests that the Church created are a distinct minority. I haven't seen any actual proof in the game that the Church has done anything to actively support the Crest system (as in: the 'people with Crests are automatically better than people without' nonsense) ever since, even in modern times when the Crest bloodlines are thinning. It's the Agarthans who are loving around with Crests and draining the blood of Flayn - and, implied, Rhea in non-Edelgard routes.

Likewise, we know that the Church wasn't involved in the Insurrection of the Seven just recently in the Empire. Which also leads to the note that, contrary to Edelgard's conspiracy theories, there's no evidence that the Church was involved in the creation of the Kingdom or the Alliance. Garreg Mach being in the center of Fodlan seems to be a happy result of geography, and if you look at a map, the borders of all three nations are all formed by natural geographic barriers - the Oghma Mountains and the Airimid River.

Gilbert notes in Azure Moon that people have invented a lot of stuff about the religion of the goddess that the Church doesn't actually teach, like the existence of a hell of some kind. Given the seeming lack of any actual support for the Crest system by the Church in-game (they say that Crests and Relics are divine, sure, but they never actually say that people with Crests are better than people who don't, and Seteth explicitly says the whole system is bullshit), and that the Crest system started as a physical manifestation of the bloodlines of the warlords who conquered Fodlan, I'm inclined to believe that the Church really isn't as powerful as Edelgard or Rhea would have you believe. The ease with which the Church is deposed outside of Faerghus would seem to be another point in this view's favor.

Rhea's tyranny also seems to be pretty focused on three things: her efforts to resurrect mommy, her efforts to prevent another genocide, and her personal survival. Every time Rhea really flips out in the game, it's either when someone is explicitly setting out to kill her, or when someone's desecrating the graves of her people to make weapons from their bodies.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Rhea doesn't give a flying gently caress about secular politics in Fodlan except as they pertain to her mission. She'll rubber stamp whatever happens to keep the peace, but I think she just doesn't care as much as people think she does. Just look at Shamir, one of the most senior Knights who actively says she doesn't believe in the goddess. Rhea doesn't care.

Yes, Edelgard, there really is an ancient conspiracy of lizard people in Fodlan. But they're not behind everything. There's also the ancient conspiracy of mole people. And people just plain being lovely with no greater meaning or conspiracy behind it.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 10, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Crests and the Crest System are not the same thing. The Church is the one that has created the narrative that the Crests were divinely ordained and spent 1000 years contorting history to support that - often violently. She specifically sends the students out to recover the Lance of Ruin to protect that narrative. And makes sure they're sworn to secrecy to not reveal the Relics can turn you into a monster. Which is after the chapter where she sends the students out so they learn the lesson of what should ever happen should they turn against the church.

The 10 Elites NEVER sided with Seiros at any point. Not even in the Church's fake history. She killed them all and took the Relics. Then the Relics all ended up back in the hands of the Houses that all rebelled against the Empire (with one exception). Also, it's the HOLY Kingdom of Faerghus. Even in the church's library they were a neutral party that got themselves inserted as the official state religion. And the Southern Church flat-out attempted a coup against the Empire some years back.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Just talk to the cult leader and everything will be all right

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

By convincing her that she's wrong. And unlike Edelgard, that can happen due to very specific circumstances: namely, Sothis talking to her off-screen.

There's already a pretty crucial flaw to the argument though: you're counting on a dead god appearing and talking Rhea down.. So given the options of "literal double miracle" and "war", I fail to see how war is inherently immoral in the context of 3H.
This also ignores that the scenario that allows Rhea to talk to Sothis at all has the requisite step of Rhea accomplishing her primary goal of the past 1000 years. I mean, I dunno about you, but I'm a lot easier to talk into things when riding the high of accomplishing lifelong goals.
It's entirely possible that we've basically said "the more moral way to depose the immortal tyrant is to just give her everything she wants" which is... a bit yikes.

Beyond that honestly Rhea looks a lot worse if we assume she's completely disinterested in Fodlan politics? Because then, theeeeen we have to explain why the religion she founded made a point of establishing the descendants of the elites inheriting their weapons when it would be much safer to her personal well being to hoard those weapons or hell, cast them into the sea.
Because... think about the mechanics of Sothis' resurrection. Take someone with the proper Crest, ie manifestation of literal dragon blood, and stuff them full of the crest stone in one of these Relics, ie the literal dragon heart, and just stuff that poo poo right in there.
I mean, Rhea spending generations ensuring the continuation of a bloodline for the sole purpose of eventually stealing their bodies to resurrect a millennia dead dragon
make her look like an even worse monster than the things she is directly credited for in the text.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I want to clarify that when I posted saying edelgard should debate rhea, I was joking

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

I want to clarify that when I posted saying edelgard should debate rhea, I was joking

I mean... she was a prisoner for five years... lotta time to talk then...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, all we get to see Rhea doing during White Clouds is executing every single soldier following Lonato's insurrection and deliberately getting rid of any historical text discussing dragons.

It makes no sense that nobody thought to just ask her nicely to stop being an immortal god-tyrant subtly influencing Fódlan's political developments to ensure she was always in charge. She obviously would have acquiesced without a fight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the traditional problem that "Edelgard was wrong" theodicy has to grapple with is figuring out what Edelgard was supposed to do but suffer quietly, because most of the solutions that might actually work are insufficiently morally pure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We're also just skipping over the fact that Rhea's performing some incredibly hosed up experiments on humans.

Also no one could possibly know she was trying to resurrect Sothis or that she had partially succeeded except for Jeralt, who dies without really telling anyone, and Byleth who clearly lacks the foundation to understand it. So blaming people for going to war with her instead of realizing her secret human experiments had come to fruition is certainly a take.

Like even Seteth and Flayn are kept in the dark because Rhea knows they do not approve of the things she is doing.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I beat crimson flower yesterday and it was a route

That little poo poo on the wyvern next to the final boss is ludicrously strong. You know the one. He could one shot almost my entire team so he was hell to lure away

Also war is bad. but not impossible to justify. For some good real world writing on the occasional necessity of violence, might I suggest Frantz Fanon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1226770273765974016

A mage knight riding a jet black pegasus. A female-only class. With their class skill "Magic Conversion", taking magic damage during Enemy Phase will give them +3 to all stats for the next Player Phase. Their strengths shine in maps with many mages. However, be aware of archers, as it is a flying class!

Give me Galeforce damnit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nrook posted:

Blue lions again but kill every character except Dimitri, like I saw someone do online.

Apparently it makes the story cutscenes very... intense.

lmao

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Sudden Javelin posted:

might I suggest Frantz Fanon

Oh hell no, these guys argue for weeks about canon, we're not introducing your Fanon to the equation.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

eating only apples posted:

I've had a great experience speccing Felix as an archer. I think last time I had him master assassin, making him even more ridiculous with Lethality, but he has a bows strength and works really well as a long-range unit instead of a glass cannon swords boy. I think he has punch strength too but I've never gone that way with him, can his defenses pick up enough? He's always been a nuclear warhead properly placed, but fragile as gently caress for me.

I have him at Assassin now and he uses a bow 80% of the time. I could see him doing really well with Sniper or Bow Knight.

I switched Catherine over to Assassin too and even though she starts way behind and has no innate talent for them, she's very powerful with bows as well.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

i played through with just byleth and dimitri and it was good lonely times

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the traditional problem that "Edelgard was wrong" theodicy has to grapple with is figuring out what Edelgard was supposed to do but suffer quietly, because most of the solutions that might actually work are insufficiently morally pure.

Here: Edelgard is emperor of Adrestia; she has every right to kick out the church and institute whatever societal reforms she wants... in Adrestia. The problem is that she's an imperialist who thinks of the Kingdom and Alliance as parts of her empire and therefore she also has the right to tell them what to do, and if she's gotta use an army to do it, that's fine with her. "Stop making me invade you!", etc.

"But the church would never stand for that, they'd fight her!" You mean the church she willingly declares war on? Hell, from a propaganda standpoint, the church declaring war on the Empire is probably a better look.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Melomane Mallet posted:

Here: Edelgard is emperor of Adrestia; she has every right to kick out the church and institute whatever societal reforms she wants... in Adrestia. The problem is that she's an imperialist who thinks of the Kingdom and Alliance as parts of her empire and therefore she also has the right to tell them what to do, and if she's gotta use an army to do it, that's fine with her. "Stop making me invade you!", etc.

"But the church would never stand for that, they'd fight her!" You mean the church she willingly declares war on? Hell, from a propaganda standpoint, the church declaring war on the Empire is probably a better look.

Out of curiosity does Edelgard still start pogroms on the faithful citizens in the Empire in the non-AM routes or is that AM-specific? In AM there's a lot of talk about people barely escaping with their lives or fleeing their homes in the capital long before you push for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity does Edelgard still start pogroms on the faithful citizens in the Empire in the non-AM routes or is that AM-specific? In AM there's a lot of talk about people barely escaping with their lives or fleeing their homes in the capital long before you push for it

When does this actually get stated cause I just finished AM and I did not see that at all.