Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sabreseven posted:

Ehhem, I'm very sorry that I'm not ok with letting everyone dress like children at work. Maybe it's that my employees and myself have to deal with both the public and with other business people who DO dress and present themselves like adults that makes me such a bore with dress codes and formality.

Truely awful.

I'm so thankful I've never had a boss who considered piercings, tatoos or "t-shirts with a teddy bear on it" (or whatever) to be "childish".

Jesus christ I wanna punch you in the mouth right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

You're definitely showing your age.

I think that's the problem.

gently caress, I feel old lmao :D

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Come on, folks, I come here when my depression is acting up and I need some laughs. Yet I get here now and it's all system admin talk and arguments about work clothes.

The stuff with the Expanse guy is funny as poo poo, though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sabreseven posted:

Ehhem, I'm very sorry that I'm not ok with letting everyone dress like children at work. Maybe it's that my employees and myself have to deal with both the public and with other business people who DO dress and present themselves like adults that makes me such a bore with dress codes and formality.

Truely awful.

There's no such thing as dressing like "children" or dressing like an "adult" unless you have 30-somethings showing up to work in 1-piece zippered pink PJs with bunny ears on them. It's exceptionally bizarre to link age to clothing - I've never even heard that done before today. That said I do agree clothing can portray a certain level of competence. For example, a person wearing a suit is most likely an untrustworthy thief and psychopath, or a person needing to meet with and negotiate with untrustworthy thieves and psychopaths. Dress shirt and tie is usually someone you can remove from any given company without an impact on that company's actual output, with occasional exception. And so on.

It's really an age-old societal safety valve. The thinking went along these lines: the least useful people in society dress a certain way and act pompous. That way when the aliens invade, they kill all those people first, thinking they're cutting the head off the snake. That leaves the useful people behind to fight off the invasion. When it's safe, you take the people who were least useful during the revolution, give them "professional dress," tell them it makes them adults, teach them to be patronizing and condescending about it, then put them on the front lines for the next time.

Classic decoy strategy. It's the reason politicians wear suits.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

colonelwest posted:

Lol Steam and Discord are “unsupported applications”

I guess Citizens should just have a gaming PC solely dedicated to Star Citizen, without a single other application running on it.

What gamer doesn't have Steam going at startup?

Better question: what gamer would want to stop it launching at startup for something like SC?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

Lol Steam and Discord are “unsupported applications”

I guess Citizens should just have a gaming PC solely dedicated to Star Citizen, without a single other application running on it.

The problem with that is that Star Citizen is also an unsupported application.

It's also not an application.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sabreseven posted:

Ehhem, I'm very sorry that I'm not ok with letting everyone dress like children at work.

christ shut up, of all the things to bitch about in a thread about this loving game

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm so thankful I've never had a boss who considered piercings, tatoos or "t-shirts with a teddy bear on it" (or whatever) to be "childish".

Jesus christ I wanna punch you in the mouth right now.

Lmao :D Teddy bear t-shirts are definitely childish, especially if worn by people who are over 20. :P

Pay you're newpage taxxe!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

christ shut up, of all the things to bitch about in a thread about this loving game

lol, stop reading it then muppet.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 10, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

I think that's the problem.

gently caress, I feel old lmao :D

Sabreseven posted:

Lmao :D Teddy bear t-shirts are definitely childish, especially if worn by people who are over 20. :P

Pay you're newpage taxxe!

Recognising that you're old and out of touch then laughing it off without addressing the fact that you're wrong doesn't make you a 'loveable old curmudgeon' like you seem to think it does, it just makes you even more of an insufferable oval office.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Recognising that you're old and out of touch then laughing it off without addressing the fact that you're wrong doesn't make you a 'loveable old curmudgeon' like you seem to think it does, it just makes you even more of an insufferable oval office.

Mate, I was laughing about it as soon as it was posted like 2 pages back, and I definitely didn't need to call anyone a oval office over it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sabreseven posted:

lol, stop reading it then muppet.

stop posting

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
You're both cunts.

So anyway, how about that server meshing? Really coming along nicely, yeah?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Come on, folks, I come here when my depression is acting up and I need some laughs. Yet I get here now and it's all system admin talk and arguments about work clothes.

The stuff with the Expanse guy is funny as poo poo, though.

Laughs are now sourced second and third-hand, from people stalking Citizens across the web and reposting twitter takes and comment section clips here, or from people reacting to those clips, or reacting to the reactions.

We're basically the D&D USPOL thread except the grifter we obsessively hate is in Santa Monica instead of Mar A Lago.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wear anime T-shirts to IT work, do I win something? I think one or two colleagues asked me about "that Japanese stuff" once, but that was it :(

(It's not those awful ahegao things, though, ahegao hoodies ppl should re-think their whole life. Just official stuff like this or this )

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

IAbsolveMyself posted:

So anyway, how about that server meshing? Really coming along nicely, yeah?

Didn't they abandon that (temporarily apparently) to make way for ToW while stating that S54 was the reason for all the hold ups on ssocococoss?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

the most recent post in that resetera digital foundry thread, whoops someone made the mistake of actually trying it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

There's no such thing as dressing like "children" or dressing like an "adult" unless you have 30-somethings showing up to work in 1-piece zippered pink PJs with bunny ears on them. It's exceptionally bizarre to link age to clothing - I've never even heard that done before today. That said I do agree clothing can portray a certain level of competence. For example, a person wearing a suit is most likely an untrustworthy thief and psychopath, or a person needing to meet with and negotiate with untrustworthy thieves and psychopaths. Dress shirt and tie is usually someone you can remove from any given company without an impact on that company's actual output, with occasional exception. And so on.

Same here. Dude in a suit? He's out to gently caress you in any way possible. Dude in a suit that tries to butter me up with compliments? Alarms blaring.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm all for dressing professionally and working from nine to five and having a two day weekend. Of course, if people in IT did that then literally the entire industry would come crashing down, but we'd look very smart doing it!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do you ever think that it might not be from a practical angle that you care, but more from a desire to enforce your personal ideals on the only people who are compelled to follow them?

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 10, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

What industry are you in? Some industries that's required; healthcare and legal tend to have a stick up their butts. Britain's got a weird attitude to acceptable dress that slackens off the further south you go. I'm networking, which is high level nerding.

Having said that, being presentable, engaged, interested and knowing things (drinking optional, but traditional) can really put you on the top of the heap.

monkeytek posted:

I draw the line at hygiene. if you are a filthy pig or simply don't care about taking showers more than once a month I'll have an issue with it.

Oh yeah, hygiene's actually a problem in Tech sometimes. I've handed more than one colleague a breath mint.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

What gamer doesn't have Steam going at startup?

:colbert: I don't even have a Steam account.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

From Twitter:

:v: : I’ve been trying to talk my brother in joining me in the ‘Verse but he’s been stubborn about it. Doesn’t want to play an alpha. I understand of course but I think he and I would have so much fun together. Trying not to push him too hard. Lol

:homebrew: : Maybe it's the different expectations of "playing an alpha" vs experiencing a universe being built... There is no more beautiful and immersive spaceship experience anywhere

:homebrew: 2 : I like to think of it this way... true space enthusiasts want to at least check out Star Citizen now for the experience rather than typically gameplay loops. Gameplay loops/content would be nice and is coming... but like your awesome forest morning screenshot, it's the experience

:airquote: : Ah yes, the "your not a true space enthusiast if you want game play" defense for #StarCitizen.

:homebrew: : Dude WTF really? 🤔
We'er just talking about what we love about Star Citizen, if you hate it go play something else and come back in a few years? Sure Elite Dangerous has game mechanics and an infinite universe, sorry I got bored of it after 50 hours.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

<3 years later>

if you hate it go play something else and come back in a few years?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Having said that, being presentable, engaged, interested and knowing things (drinking optional, but traditional) can really put you on the top of the heap.

"Presentable" is the magic word here.

Example: the Star Citizen JPEGs are very presentable. I hear people pay good money for them. Do they work?

Does anything?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
what is 'working' anyway?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah, he's a loveable old curmudgeon.

peter gabriel posted:

Technically, right now, this is for me.

Scruffpuff posted:

"Presentable" is the magic word here.

It's also largely value-free, but mediated by other people.

Edit: Space games are for casuals - real men use Space Engine. Heroes play 'Orbiter'.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 10, 2020

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

their boss dresses like some kind of weird steampunk wizard, and the head of our entire organization is an Army Colonel who wears his baggy camo Army Combat Uniform to work everyday.

hideo kojima would love your workplace :D

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Crowdfunding 275 million.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm wondering, when backers watch this sort of thing, and believe what the person is saying, do their memories just self-wipe any facts that might contradict what is being said. Like, do they just forget whole games that have done things like SC is doing from their memories? Or do they file it under "Ah, but nobody has done this with X, Y, Z, on this particular scale, in this particular genre, using this particular engine before", and therfore have enough cavets to say its never been done before (exactly like this).

Gamers overestimate how original every element in their favourite games are. This isn't a Star Citizen attitude, this is a gaming attitude where they believe their personal experience and gaming history to be the same path. If they haven't seen it in a game they love then it doesn't exist.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dementropy posted:

From Twitter:

:v: : I’ve been trying to talk my brother in joining me in the ‘Verse but he’s been stubborn about it. Doesn’t want to play an alpha. I understand of course but I think he and I would have so much fun together. Trying not to push him too hard. Lol

:homebrew: : Maybe it's the different expectations of "playing an alpha" vs experiencing a universe being built... There is no more beautiful and immersive spaceship experience anywhere

:homebrew: 2 : I like to think of it this way... true space enthusiasts want to at least check out Star Citizen now for the experience rather than typically gameplay loops. Gameplay loops/content would be nice and is coming... but like your awesome forest morning screenshot, it's the experience

:airquote: : Ah yes, the "your not a true space enthusiast if you want game play" defense for #StarCitizen.

:homebrew: : Dude WTF really? 🤔
We'er just talking about what we love about Star Citizen, if you hate it go play something else and come back in a few years? Sure Elite Dangerous has game mechanics and an infinite universe, sorry I got bored of it after 50 hours.

Love how a game sucks even if he played it for 50 hours. Rarely do I ever play a game beyond 50 hours, that only happens on 2-3 games a year. Seriously sometimes you have to realize you actually did see everything worth seeing in a game and move on. It just shows even more how star citizens expect the game to define the rest of their life.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

What industry are you in? Some industries that's required; healthcare and legal tend to have a stick up their butts. Britain's got a weird attitude to acceptable dress that slackens off the further south you go. I'm networking, which is high level nerding.

Oh yeah, hygiene's actually a problem in Tech sometimes. I've handed more than one colleague a breath mint.

Road Haulage and very heavy plant hire, mostly deal with South Africa but I'm British. When I started the business it was literally just me and my slightly rough looking old truck and trailer doing delivery runs for random companies around southeast England and France and it got a bit out of hand and turned into a much larger effort than I had planned, last count was 78 people on the books and growing. I rarely do any of the grunt work these days, I'd love to do some, but I always seem to find myself in time consuming "talks" or negotiations with some other business fellow, governmental official or land owner.

I cannot do nerding at any level as I lack patience and finesse, more than one keyboard has left my house via an open window in the past :D

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kilus aof posted:

Gamers overestimate how original every element in their favourite games are. This isn't a Star Citizen attitude, this is a gaming attitude where they believe their personal experience and gaming history to be the same path. If they haven't seen it in a game they love then it doesn't exist.

I think it's more the split of 'Fan' there. Fans don't care about the object of their fandom, but making it their own. They 'own' the thing, and go to great lengths to defend it from all comers, including in some choice examples the originator of the 'thing'. This applies to people as well, they're entirely objectified.

I believe that it's a form of mental illness, but I've not seen anything in the DSM that comes close other than an offshoot of obsessive compulsive disorder, but it's a very vocal and loud minority or an 'extreme'.

We're kinda the other end of that extreme, but I don't _disbelieve_ in the project, I apply my experience against the stated aims and goals.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Sabreseven posted:

Road Haulage and very heavy plant hire, mostly deal with South Africa but I'm British. When I started the business it was literally just me and my slightly rough looking old truck and trailer doing delivery runs for random companies around southeast England and France and it got a bit out of hand and turned into a much larger effort than I had planned, last count was 78 people on the books and growing. I rarely do any of the grunt work these days, I'd love to do some, but I always seem to find myself in time consuming "talks" or negotiations with some other business fellow, governmental official or land owner.

I cannot do nerding at any level as I lack patience and finesse, more than one keyboard has left my house via an open window in the past :D

this is amazing

:D :hf:

downout fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 10, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

"post-production" - 90 days tops

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It's just tribalism. All true gamers know that X is bad and Y is good. I don't know if identifying as a brand is going to be called a mental disorder given it applies to every sports fan since the dawn of regional teams. When the object of their affection jumps the shark it's even weirder - watching Bioware/Blizzard fans throw out No True Scotsman arguments has been fun for a while. People think it's odd for nerd stuff because regional pride is considered a virtue and being a fan of a company is not.

In terms of SC you'd probably get a better read if you checked into the section on cults.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Sabreseven posted:

Truely awful.

Attention to personal appearance is just as important as any other attention to the needs of your customer. When a client hires my firm they are doing so because they have been made to feel that they are the priority in our relationship. Personal self expression by me or our staff only detracts from that relationship. Narcissism isn't a skill nor a service anyone should be willing to pay for.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
That's the most coherent thing you have said yet. Still insane, though.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

downout posted:

this is amazing

:D :hf:

No it really isn't, it's literally just a lot of luck, knowing a few of the 'right' people and hard work, a lot of hard work over 25 years or thereabouts. It hasn't made me a millionaire and it probably never will, but it's been good and worthwhile, the journey is always better than the destination. :) I just hope my kids learn from my mistakes and work in an industry that isn't such a ballache lol.

ClownBobo posted:

Attention to personal appearance is just as important as any other attention to the needs of your customer. When a client hires my firm they are doing so because they have been made to feel that they are the priority in our relationship. Personal self expression by me or our staff only detracts from that relationship. Narcissism isn't a skill nor a service anyone should be willing to pay for.

You've said it far better than my yammerings via the medium of sausage fingers hammering upon a keyboard ever could. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ClownBobo posted:

and yet communism is supposed to be the economic system that seeks to destroy individuality.