Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

How is India still unaffected, this seems like the ideal place if you thrive on no hygiene and concentrated poverty

It could also be heat; this coronavirus seems very poor at spreading in the heat, and most of India is much warmer than most of China. This is also why many strains of influenza affect India less than the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Lol at the idea that india just kind of digests these things unphased somehow. They're like ohhhhh coronavirus? Sounds scary! .. yeah we still have the plague my man

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that the medical term for that kind of viral equilibrium is a Mr Burns state

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1226653045917986821

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I clicked on this guy thinking "ohh, seems like an interesting guy with a good handle on things" but mainly he just posts and retweets anime drawings of schoolgirls.

Disqualified.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Illuminti posted:

I clicked on this guy thinking "ohh, seems like an interesting guy with a good handle on things" but mainly he just posts and retweets anime drawings of schoolgirls.

Disqualified.

That's how i filter out people like you. :)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Mithaldu posted:

Cool the rest of us will just filter out people like you who retweet loli catgirls lmao

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Chinese secret police use do this as well. If you post anime girls they don't see your posts.

*looks around nervously*

UwU is that a tiananmen square nyaa!~

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
coronavirus has turned me into a catgirl, but not a loli one. i am a physically imposing mature leopard of a woman now

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

salt shakeup posted:

Cool the rest of us will just filter out people like you who retweet loli catgirls lmao
that's ok, i just hope my graphs help you refine your conspiracy theories

Armadillo Tank posted:

Chinese secret police use do this as well. If you post anime girls they don't see your posts.

*looks around nervously*

UwU is that a tiananmen square nyaa!~
given how insane china is i have no idea of telling whether this is true or a joke

hallelujah posted:

coronavirus has turned me into a catgirl, but not a loli one. i am a physically imposing mature leopard of a woman now
https://zandravandra.itch.io/catgirlflu-intro

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Why don't you want well-balanced people seeing your graphs?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Haha, well-balanced people reading SA. You're a cutie. :haw:

e:

drat, 419 more cases added by china. Up to 40,554 now.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 10, 2020

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Haha, well-balanced people reading SA. You're a cutie. :haw:

You're the one with a Twitter account.

Mithaldu posted:

drat, 419 more cases added by china. Up to 40,554 now.

Yes, back on topic.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yes, back on topic.

mmmm number go up

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Illuminti posted:

Disqualified.

also adding a flat 20/50% to the reported numbers graph is weird and statistically meaningless

if cases are being undercounted, the difference between official statistics and reality would increase at an exponential rate over time

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 10, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

MERS is a coronavirus right? And it's from the middle east, they can't be that vulnerable to the heat.

The middle east gets cold and has seasons

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

Unmasked Chinese male got infected after staying with carrier at clinic for 50 seconds and further transmitted to his wife

(7 Feb) Masks have become the basic equipment for citizens to protect themselves from the fast-spreading Wuhan Pneumonia. In Hangzhou, a married couple were both confirmed with Wuhan Pneumonia without any travel history and contact with wild animals within the preceding 14 days. It was later revealed that the husband had visited a clinic for medicine without wearing his mask, and had remained in close proximity with a coronavirus patient for 50 seconds. Shortly afterwards, the couple showed symptoms of the disease.

According to the Hangzhou Health Commission, the city got 10 newly confirmed cases yesterday (February 5), among which a couple, by the surname of Yang, were identified with the virus simultaneously. The infected patients were all allocated to designated hospitals for isolated treatment. Based on the epidemiological study, the Yangs did not have any travel history, live in any epidemic area, or contact any wild animals within the 14 days before showing signs of infection. They did not know the infected patient personally. However, three days prior to the onset of symptoms, the husband had paid a visit to the local clinic for medicine.

The local office of Public Security later analyzed CCTV footages from the clinic. They discovered that on January 22, Yang came face to face with a man, by the surname of Xu, who was eventually confirmed to be infected with the virus. When Xu took his medicine, the two men had close contact for approximately 50 seconds. During that time, both of them did not wear their masks. Xu showed signs of infection on the same day, while the Yangs presented symptoms on the third and fifth day of this encounter respectively. They were then diagnosed with the new coronavirus. Once again, the local health commission reminded citizens should wear masks in public areas and wash their hands as soon as they return home.

In addition, according to the Health Commission of the Ningbo Jiangbei District, there was a confirmed case on Tuesday (February 4), in which a 56-year-old male patient also had no travel history and contact with wild animals. It is suspected that the individual passed by a virus carrier when he shopped for groceries in the wet market without a mask. That entire process took only 15 seconds.

Source: Skypost
https://bit.ly/2OFD758

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I hereby rescind my comment about them teaching Chinese kids exponents because apparently they don’t

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My guess is that India isn’t hit yet because Chinese people don’t really go there. Most of the other affected countries are major Chinese destinations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vegetable posted:

My guess is that India isn’t hit yet because Chinese people don’t really go there. Most of the other affected countries are major Chinese destinations.

Like cruise ships to the Caribbean? :smith:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Myriarch posted:

It could also be heat; this coronavirus seems very poor at spreading in the heat, and most of India is much warmer than most of China. This is also why many strains of influenza affect India less than the US.

SARS had little effect in India as well - I was there in May/June of 2003 right after the severe SARS outbreak in China/Hong Kong/Toronto in March and the running joke at the time among my family there was that SARS went to India, got Malaria and Dengue Fever and died.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How's africa?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

toggle posted:

How's africa?

No chinese people

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Shaocaholica posted:

No chinese people

Lol. Who do you think is building African ports and highways?

See:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/jul/31/china-in-africa-win-win-development-or-a-new-colonialism

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 10, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Happened to just read this -

Coronavirus: 24 bypassing quarantine traced in Haryana

quote:

New Delhi: At least 24 persons have been identified by the health authorities in Haryana who did not go to a quarantine facility after returning from China. According to health officials, they failed to notify the health authorities.

Sujeet Singh, Director, National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), told IANS, "All 24 people, who bypassed quarantine, have been tracked and kept in isolation. A report has also been submitted to the concerned departments on the issue."

One such person was admitted to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS) in Rohtak on Wednesday. He reportedly took an alternative route to reach India from China even before a special Air India flight made two trips to Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, and evacuated more than 600 people. His condition is stated to be stable.

Dhruv Choudhary, HoD, Pulmonary Critical Care Department, PGIMS, told IANS, "One suspected person came to the hospital on Wednesday with complaints of fever, cough, cold, body ache and breathing. Without wasting any time, we kept him in the isolation ward. We are keeping people in the isolation ward just if they have respiratory problems, irrespective of symptoms. We don't want to take any chances.

"The patient told us that there was panic in China. That's why he took an alternative route to come back to India. He was scared and that's the reason he did not inform the authorities. However, after showing some symptoms, he came to our hospital. Now we are also telling people that there is no need to hide anything," Choudhary added.

Hopefully the new daily numbers keep trending down somehow but it's hard to imagine that this isn't spreading all over the place.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mithaldu posted:

Hah! I didn't notice you were posting your own twitter! My apologies, your graphs are cool so I will just consider you a person with a good handle on things who happens to have one tragic flaw.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 10, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Illuminti posted:

Hah! I didn't notice you were posting your own twitter! My apologies, your graphs are cool so I will just consider you a person with a good handle on things who happens to have one tragic flaw.
Thanks, if people can get something of value from them i don't mind what else they think about me. :)

My main goal was to provide something that counters BOTH narratives of "we're doomed" and "it's nothing".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
This coronavirus inactivates really fuckin fast at like 30 C / 85 F iirc

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Burt Sexual posted:

Like cruise ships to the Caribbean? :smith:

Seriously man, you are looking at like a 30% chance now of your ship ending up with a scare, and possibly a 60 day quarantine. gently caress that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Ask for a 100% refund and spend it on drugs

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

This coronavirus inactivates really fuckin fast at like 30 C / 85 F iirc

This just in!
Official statetement from the WHO and CDC : 2019-nCov deactivates at like 30 C / 85 F, if they recall correctly.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bronze Fonz posted:

This just in!
Official statetement from the WHO and CDC : 2019-nCov deactivates at like 30 C / 85 F, if they recall correctly.

Here you go for a cite for sars

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2863430/

Interpolate for 40 c and 20 c ok

Humidity real important too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

interesting that's it's spreading so much in singapore then

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Google shows the temp in Singapore at 84F, so clearly they just need to turn on a space heater and they'll be saved.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

coronavirus posted:

Seriously man, you are looking at like a 30% chance now of your ship ending up with a scare, and possibly a 60 day quarantine. gently caress that.

Yeah I’m calling tomorrow

They will decline my cancellation and I’ll eat 10k then rebook rooms in Miami or key west

Fun

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Burt Sexual posted:

They will decline my cancellation and I’ll eat 10k then rebook rooms in Miami or key west

Fun

You should probably tell them that you will make a stink on every kind of social media if they do not refund

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
You should probably calmly explain that you are a moderator on something awful, and you can sticky a thread

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Fun

I will take your seats if you like. I will offer 25 bucks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Peachfart posted:

I will take your seats if you like. I will offer 25 bucks.

That’s pretty brave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Burt Sexual posted:

Fun

Give em to me, I just lost my job and it is just me and my dog and I will take lots of cute pics even while I am dying.