Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeakottZUs0

Does this help, or is it still definitely not there?

definitely not there. Will directwave do what you are trying to get to?

Sampler (the plugin) doesn't load in Patcher for me either.

You may be looking for a 3rd party VST.

this is what my cursory google got me:
https://www.uvi.net/en/software/uvi-workstation.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I use Grace (free) in Reaper. Drop a sample on top of it, create a new key group and drop another sample on top of it. Both will now play back layered.

It's insane that this is so convoluted in FL Studio. Got rid of the layer thing and then explicitly exclude the sampler channel from patcher. Why even.

DirectWave should be able to do it, but like all multisamplers it's overly complicated for simple needs. Grace sort of rides a fine line as far as that goes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

nevermind, it's in the database under "misc"

also I just found a way to make hats more interesting, thanks!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Patcher should be able to do all that and more. You probably want to watch a few tutorials on it, as it will let you do some crazy rear end stuff.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Raum is very, very good.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Raum is very, very good.

Yeah, it might push TAL-Reverb III out of my toolbox.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have no Layer plugin. It's just not there.

:confused:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So FL is weird, searching for it in the plugin picker won't show it. Also, don't look in installed plugins it doesn't count it as an installed plugin.

See the Misc in the Generator above the Installed section? click that.

If you can't find it from here honestly I'm wondering what version of FL Studio you have because your insert plugin menu picture looks pretty limited for some reason.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah my version doesn't have the Misc menu at all.

Weird BIAS posted:

If you can't find it from here honestly I'm wondering what version of FL Studio you have because your insert plugin menu picture looks pretty limited for some reason.

The... One that you pay for, from their site? I'm not sure what other version I would have. :shrug:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Like producer or fruity, layer should be in all of them but your plugin menu looks emptier than it should.

E: you tried looking in the more plugins menu and plugin manager?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah my version doesn't have the Misc menu at all.

The... One that you pay for, from their site? I'm not sure what other version I would have. :shrug:

Like Ableton, there are at least three, maybe four levels of paid FLStudio, with increasing numbers of plugins included. The base level is pretty stripped down.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Wait hot drat is that Synth1? I haven't thought about Synth1 in loving 8 years god daaaaaaaamn I feel old and I'm shocked that plugin has been updated recently even to be 64-bit holy poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oldstench posted:

Raum is very, very good.
I played around with it a little last night and it seemed really good, yeah.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird BIAS posted:

Like producer or fruity, layer should be in all of them but your plugin menu looks emptier than it should.

E: you tried looking in the more plugins menu and plugin manager?

That's true - I have the $200 producer edition. The Layer channel should be a standard feature in all of them, though.

Weird BIAS posted:

Wait hot drat is that Synth1? I haven't thought about Synth1 in loving 8 years god daaaaaaaamn I feel old and I'm shocked that plugin has been updated recently even to be 64-bit holy poo poo.

Heh, yeah. I found it fun to mess around with to see what sounds I could get when I was still learning, because of the insane amount of presets and being free. Now that I'm actually making some tracks, though, I haven't actually used it in a song, as Serum is so much better suited for the sounds I need.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 19, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's true - I have the $200 producer edition. The Layer channel should be a standard feature in all of them, though.

At this point, as obvious as it seems, definitely contact Image-Line.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If looks like you moved around all your plugins and probably deleted the links or misplaced them. You should have about 8-10 folders filled with plugins. You have stuff all over.

https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase/index?ans=613

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Putting all of this aside, I know it might be overkill, but I really love Iris 2's handling of samples. The retriggering and looping functions are fantastic, to say nothing about the unique and kind of revolutionary "paint your own filter" feature.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

the unique and kind of revolutionary "paint your own filter" feature.

Can you create 2 or more "filter" shapes and morph between them, or is it completely static?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Can you create 2 or more "filter" shapes and morph between them, or is it completely static?

I think it might be static per sample loaded. You might be able to automate the drawing, but I don't know for sure.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Philthy posted:

If looks like you moved around all your plugins and probably deleted the links or misplaced them. You should have about 8-10 folders filled with plugins. You have stuff all over.

https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase/index?ans=613

It's possible, although I don't THINK I moved anything around. I've installed a number of VSTs, but I never moved or uninstalled anything. I'll check when I get home.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At this point, as obvious as it seems, definitely contact Image-Line.

Yeah, I'm also asking on the official forums and an admin/dev had me put a support ticket in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my god I FINALLY got it to work. I had to reinstall again, and I noticed there was an option for which plugin database I want to use - and by default, it DOESN'T install the plugin database. So I had to select one of those. Then I was actually able to find it, in the Data/System folder, which is a HIDDEN file. And even then, I couldn't get it to show up in the browser or plugin picker in FL Studio - I had to drag it from the explorer window into the channel rack. But it WORKED! Finally! Jeez.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you guys didn't get the free Raum reverb from Native Instruments yet - GET IT.

Seriously, this is one badass 'verb ya'll need it.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/your-free-holiday-gifts/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rev PLATE-140 is free too: https://www.arturia.com/reverb-gift

Thank god, the reverb on my toms sounded so lovely with the stock plugins no matter what I did. With these it took me 2 seconds to make it sound way, WAY better.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Raum isn't showing up in Native Access for me just yet, but NI have issued a statement on the product saying they are getting hammered and it should show up eventually

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Raum isn't showing up in Native Access for me just yet, but NI have issued a statement on the product saying they are getting hammered and it should show up eventually

Huh. I saw the notification that they were getting hammered, but it showed up for me within a minute or two.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's free til the 16th Jan thankfully so I'm it sweating too much.
And it made me dig out Supercharger again and that thing is a loving monster on drums, whether parallel (as I'm using it) or otherwise

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It took a day for it to show up for me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02vgKHBb8M

:woop:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's on sale now until January 16. $200 ($250 normal price) for just the Triton. $300 for the full bundle of Korg current vsts (from $400)). Though this only saves you $5 over buying all the plugins individually, so you can pick and mix of you're only interested in a couple of them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Doubleposting to say that Surge, previously by VemberAudio is now free and open source.

Surge is a great wavetable synthesizer and possibly as powerful as NI Massive. It has a clear and consistent one page UI in my opinion. I love it. I think it also properly supports microtonal stuff, if you're into that.

They also need a volunteer Windows developer to sort out their installer, which is a bit crappy. Short term engagement is fine, I'm told. The problems seem really basic. Just dropping that here.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Ooh! Thanks very much. Been looking for a nice wavetable synth since my Live 10 trial expired.

Few days later edit: this is rad.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 25, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Novation is giving out Serato Sample LE keys if you register their hardware. https://novationmusic.com/en/news/sound-collective-serato-sample-le

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

So Math posted:

Novation is giving out Serato Sample LE keys if you register their hardware. https://novationmusic.com/en/news/sound-collective-serato-sample-le

I understand the idea of Lite tasters, but the fact the 'Favorite' button is disabled (meaning that you cant lock a pad to a region youve selected) alongside the fact that the un-disableable 'fill EVERY pad with random poo poo giant button' being below the pads is probably a hard limit on how useful this could be, at least for me. Digital needle-drop sampling is actually a really cool idea though I think, especially in a DJ+ type setup

\/\/\/
I thought about it more, I suspect the 'LE' is the functionality left once the 30-day-demo expires. Was worth a gamble tho - nice to have a trash-boot to test things, as well as a stable and streamlined music-boot.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 7, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yeah, I posted that as I was downloading. Honestly kind of let down by this.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Any recommendations for trashy 80s drum VSTs that go well with industrial electronica? Nothing that sounds too real and acoustic, but ideally also fairly fat to begin with, I don't know how much I can sound design these things to sound "bigger" if I'm starting with something tinnier.

I'm tempted by Addicted Drums 2 Reel Machines, since I already use AD2 plenty, but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there. I could go the Splice route, but it'd nice to have everything in one packages.

e.g. for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwk7EuF7iQ

Getting great sounding retrowave / 80s style drums is an absolute mystery to me still, outside of just poking around at Splice until you find something half decent.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Any recommendations for trashy 80s drum VSTs that go well with industrial electronica? Nothing that sounds too real and acoustic, but ideally also fairly fat to begin with, I don't know how much I can sound design these things to sound "bigger" if I'm starting with something tinnier.

I'm tempted by Addicted Drums 2 Reel Machines, since I already use AD2 plenty, but I'm wondering if there's anything better out there. I could go the Splice route, but it'd nice to have everything in one packages.

e.g. for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYwk7EuF7iQ

Getting great sounding retrowave / 80s style drums is an absolute mystery to me still, outside of just poking around at Splice until you find something half decent.

Probably anathema in the vst thread but just buy a standalone drum machine from the late 80's / early 90's. You'll spend less than you would on a soft synth and get something cooler that does this exact job.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DreadCthulhu posted:

Getting great sounding retrowave / 80s style drums

Most of that is just overcompressed LinnDrum samples, you should be able to find plenty for free (although the example you posted sounds more like the Simmons SD-5); if you want preprocessed, Zenhiser has tons of 80s drum packs.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Joe Bogan posted:

Probably anathema in the vst thread but just buy a standalone drum machine from the late 80's / early 90's. You'll spend less than you would on a soft synth and get something cooler that does this exact job.

I'm just curious as to what drum machine you think the OP could get for less than $80?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm just curious as to what drum machine you think the OP could get for less than $80?

There's an absolute ton of stuff from boss, yamaha, and alesis on eBay right now. Hell you can get some cool poo poo out of a Zoom RT3 for half that if you keep an eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm sure this has come up in the thread at some point, and maybe this starts to branch into software in general, but can anyone recommend a good program for orchestral sounds? Everything seems so expensive but I imagine there's a decent one out there that's affordable.